Really freaked--- autism/yeast connection? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-20-2002, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am really freaked out! First I have to say I have serious health anxiey (hypochondria) and now I am reading in the health forum that it is very common for kids who later develop autism to have persistent yeast rashes--- my dd is 6 months and has a bad yeast rash fo ra month!!!!! I am REALLY FREAKED NOW!! somebody please tell me if it's true?!!! I am really upset and crying now. She is not vaccinated but I do have lots of dental amalgams!!!!!!!

Mel
#2 of 6 Old 09-20-2002, 10:44 PM

You posted this earlier today, and still no response. I wonder if you'll get some more thoughts in the health forum. I hope you find some calm in all of this. Remember that the cause of autism is still largely unknown, and we still only have clues as to the contributing factors.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#3 of 6 Old 09-20-2002, 10:49 PM

Whiel many kids with Autism do have problems with yeast, there has not been a connection with yeast causing Autism or being an early symptom. I would, however be really proactive with the problem since yeast is a symptom of more serious problems throught other parts of the body and it's systems
#4 of 6 Old 09-22-2002, 06:19 PM

Below is part of an article writeen by Bernard Rimland in 1988 regarding autism/yeast connection.

http://autism.com/ari/editorials/candida.html

Candida-caused autism?

Bernard Rimland, Ph.D.
Autism Research Institute
4182 Adams Avenue
San Diego, CA 92116

Candida albicans is a yeast-like fungus which inhabits almost all humans. It lives on the moist dark mucous membranes which line the mouth, vagina and intestinal tract. Ordinarily it exists only in small colonies, prevented from growing too rapidly by the human host's immune system, and by competition from other microorganisms in and on the body's mucous membranes. When something happens to upset this delicate natural balance, candida can grow rapidly and aggressively, causing many unpleasant symptoms to the host. Some of the symptoms are widely known and acknowledged. Vaginal yeast infections, primarily caused by candida, present the most common case in point. Thrush, the white yeast infection of the mouth and tongue which is common in infants, is another well-known example of candida overgrowth.

In recent years a minority of physicians have begun to try to persuade their colleagues, and the public, that candida may present consequences far more devastating to human well-being than vaginitis and thrush. They cite Japanese studies showing that candida is able to produce toxins which cause severe long-term disruption of the immune system and may also attack the brain. In extreme cases, they claim, severe disorders, totally resistant to conventional treatment, can occur as a result of candidiasis. These include depression, schizophrenia and, in some cases, autism.
#5 of 6 Old 09-22-2002, 11:23 PM

Hi Mel, I just wanted to ask what things you are doing about her yeast rash? I wouldn't be so worried about the autism connection (but you're her mom, so that's pretty impossible ), but I would be concerned about the fact that her system is unbalanced right now, possibly making her susceptible to other infections. Are you giving her probiotics/acidophilus? If you are breastfeeding, you can take them as well, and also vitamin C and garlic. Is her rash a diaper rash? Do you show signs of yeast? I'm assuming you bf, so if you do, you may have an overgrowth, too.

Good luck. I hope it clears up soon.
#6 of 6 Old 09-23-2002, 11:10 AM

HI Mel,
I feel the same way i told you about the probiotic i give my sweetie it is tastless and she wont drink anything but MOmmy milk and water and when i add it to her water she cant even tell its in there. Use a dropper to give it to her if sahe wont drink from a cup. ANd garlic and Vit c would be wonderful for her. I use sodium ascorbate form of vit c.
Being a mommy is so hard i know :better

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page