Tell me I'm not going crazy please. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I am touched in head. I am either losing my mind or I have a tumor of some sort short circuting my brain. I have been feeling a little off for a while but lately it's gotten worse. I hear doorbells in my head, but no one is at the door. It's proggressed to a ringing telephone, um....we don't have a home phone right now. When I drive it''s starting to get blurry. I waited at a green light today cause it was purple I know there's not a purple light but my special behind is just sitting there. I hear voices, babies crying. I went to one ladies house and asked her about her cat cause I heard it meowing, her reply" Sweetie, I don't have a cat". My typing is getting worse if that' at all possible. I can take 15 minutes being careful and still get typos. I can't keep my kids names straight. I'm mixing up my words all the time. I am a freaking mess. I don't just talk to myself, I talk to anything, the computer, the tv, my bath water. Full conversations. "why are you beeping at me, I didn't do anything wrong"."Oh come on your not really going to shut down are you?" "what' it going to take for you to stay watm tonight"etc.I can put something down and come back to it 2 minutes later nit having a clue where it is. I can't be this nutty. I am starting to think a troll is roaming my house hiding stuff from me. I walk into a room and have no clue what I came there for 30 seconds later. Not to mention I always gave a headache. I won't even tell you the rest.
So, is this some part of motherhood no one told me about or have I about flipped?

edited to fix typos, I'm working on it.
#2 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 01:06 AM

If you have a constant headache and hear ringing, amongst all that other stuff, I'd go see a doctor.

#3 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 01:06 AM

Please go to the ER. What you are describing has to be serious. Please go now.
#4 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

I don't always hear ringing. I hear like a doorbell, but no one's at the door. A phone ringing but we don't have a land line. I have an appointment but I'm kind of nervous and I guess I wanted to hear that soem of it's just too much stress or something.I mentioned it to my docter before and he's was all"oh, you just need to slow down". That was a few weeks ago and nothings really changed. The only thing differant is now my eyes are bothering me. I get a headache everyday. Soemtimes it goes away adn comes back.
#5 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 01:11 AM

So you're really stressed out?
#6 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 01:11 AM

do you get migraines?

cause i do, and i can often get visual/audio disturbances right before, during, or after one.
#7 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 01:12 AM

Please be careful until you see the doctor. THe symptoms you describe worry me.
#8 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 01:16 AM

I'm sorry jeca. That sucks.

I really agree that you should see the doc, and DON'T MINIMIZE what's going on. I would insist on getting some testing done, just to be sure.

Hope everything is fine and you're just a little looney!
#9 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka Falls
So you're really stressed out?
I really don't think so chaka, I think that was just his bullshit answer to not really be bothered with me.
I have never had migranes before but someone suggested that's what I may be getting, when light and sound bothes you right? The military is going to do everything they can top avoid giving me tests. :sad
#10 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 01:24 AM

Until you get to the doctor, look up natural ways to "treat" migraines online and follow some of the advice. If you improve, then you have something to go on when the doctors finally take you seriously.

Sorry you're dealing with this.
#11 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 01:26 AM

well, if you have migraines-you KNOW. there's no maybe about it.
#12 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Actually I've never had migranes before, so I wouldn't know. I've never been diagnosed with migranes but then again, I've never gone to the Dr. complaining of headaches before. Sometimes I am sensitive to light and noise and every little fleck of light or sound makes me feel like my head will split, that's been recent. On that note someone "suggested" migrane. I wouldn't know.

edited for typing as usual.
#13 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 02:19 AM

Please get to a doctor quickly.
#14 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I think there's more than one category of migraine. The classic ones are really dramatic, you see a halo and everything. I've had some headaches that made me puke, the RN at the Urgent Care center called them migraines, though I wouldn't have said that. I have only had like three or four in my whole life, and two were within a week of each other. I remember the one I had as a child. i couldn't read or watch TV, I couldn't look at anything or anyone, even closing my eyes there was too much light coming in my eyelids.

(I am guessing this is about what you are experiencing, right?)

If you feel like throwing up when you have these headaches, or if your normal life activities which you could usually do with a headache are too painful, that seems worth mentioning to a doctor. Hearing bells is I think what they mean by "ringing in your ears"! It doesn't sound like a normal part of being a mom. (You never sound crazy to me, sweetie, even when your life sounds kind of crazy. )

If you are getting migraines, it would be worth investigating natural remedies, especially traditional Chinese medicine. The medications you can use effectively for heavy-duty headaches have a lot of side-effects.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#15 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 02:33 AM

I agree about more than one kind of migraine. I started having visual disturbances like these ( scroll down to see pics) without any head pain whatsoever last summer. I was diagnosed with migraines. In the fall I started having more of the painful kind as well. I have had migraines in my life but never diagnosed, and I jus thought they were super bad headaches. Anyway I never added it all up before last summer. Now every time I get extra dragged out and spacey, I know one is coming.

Hearing bells is not the same as ringing in your ears though. I think jeca, if I get you right, you are literally like hearing your doorbell ring and then it never really rang. That kind of stuff can truly happen if you are too tired. Sleep deprivation is rough.

Migraine headaches to me include a sick feeling in my neck, spine, arms, and stomach. In a pinch I have gotten some minor relief from sucking on peppermint candies because peppermint and lavender are supposed to help/

But I don’t think you should write it off as migraine. You should RULE OUT OTHER THINGS before you decide its migraine, mama. If its getting to where you feel like you cant watch your kids/drive safely, etc, you should get help sooner than your appointment.

I relate to you because I am having similar issues since I hit my head. It is not fun, and my heart goes out to you! Don’t minimize it and do get second opinions. Don’t feel stupid for how you feel---chances are you are sleep deprived and having migraines, but don’t let them shoo you out of their office before you tell them EVERYTHING and get ASSESSMENTS and EVALUATIONS> i.e. don’t let them just push drugs on you without them doing some tests of some kind!

Let us know how it goes, ok? Thinking of you...
#16 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for not making me feel crazy. I wiull stand firm, my appointment is thursday.
Stirringleaf you are right. Like hearing a doorbell literally and no one is there. I *think* I get enough sleep. On average I would say 7 hours, sometimes less. It's always staggered though, I haevn't slept throught the night in years. I probably wake up on average 3-4 timesi in a night. Sometimes to answer the door wondering who the heck is ringing my doorbell at this hour, gets me everytime.
#17 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Stirringleaf, I don't see the visuals on the website but I LOVE the music.
#18 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 02:55 AM

check your box
#19 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 03:01 AM

does it say something about eye disorders on the top? i dont actually have an eye disorder, but thought i did and found that page when researching what i was seeing. i dont want to freak you out but i dont hear any music on that site...but it think i may have disabled it cuz i never like musical sites. did you scroll down the page a ways ?

anyway i have a very very similar sleep pattern to you . i have only recently started sleeping more and it makes a differnce! ds finally sleeps all night !

if i remember rightn adults need 2 90 minute sleep cycles in a row in order to get proper REM sleep...i think. at any rate, interrupted 7 hours is not the same is 7 full hours. personally i need at least 8 to feel human , and 9 to feel rested. i still am not there cuz ds wakes up so early and i stay up kinda late, but i am getting there.

i am wondering if your audio hallucinations are just your brain hearing other sounds and interpreting them as the doorbell , etc. i could see that happening both with migraine and sleep deprivation and stress combined. do you hear it realll loud or is it like "wait, i think that was just the doorbell" or " was that just a cat meowing?"

and what do you mean by blurry? like you just need glasses or a higher prescription all of a sudden, or like extreme blurryness and double vision? is it all the time, or just sometimes? how do you feel tonight?
#20 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

I could be driving just find than my eyes will start to burn a little and things will get blurry. Not like seeing double but like out of focus. Doesn't happen all the time. I had an eye exam maybe 6 months ago and I have always had 20/20 vision so it's a little weird. Maybe in front of the computer too much.
We don't sleep with any TV's on or anything like that as far as the audio. I know what uyou mean though, I have dozed off before with a tv on and found myself habing all kinds of weird dreams, what's on tv will incorporate itself into your dream, reason number 2 why I don't slep with it one. Reason number one being, I have to be bone tired to slleep wuth any kind of noise. I think uniterupted sleep would definitlt help something.
#21 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 06:17 AM

well, jeca, I will try....

No, really, I hope you do see a doc if they continue

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#22 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 10:18 AM

I definitely think you need to get it checked out.
#23 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 10:56 AM

Please go and get it checked out mama!
#24 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 01:22 PM

hey jeca..i went to bed shortly after posting all those questions last night. the blurryness and stuff...it still seems reasonable that you are tired and stressed. but that doesnt mean you dont need care, right away. we tend to think "oh you are JUST tired" .. but its serious if it is starting to be debilitating and make you worry so much on top of it. i think the word *just* comes in because the solution is simple: rest. but of course for us mamas thats not so simple as it sounds. consider finding an acupuncturist as part of your quest for answers. i am seeing one right now and having AMAZING results. i have only had 3 appts ( in the last week and a half ) and i am feeling so much better than i did even 3 days ago. sometimes you can find one that does sliding scale , like at an acupuncture school, or if you ask around. also you can get consultations without needles, and thats alot cheaper, and can be really helpful as well. sometimes they can simply prescribe an herbal and dietary remedy.
#25 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 01:34 PM

Tongue in Cheek Humor Alert!!!!!!

Jeca sweetie, how can we tell you you're not going crazy when we already know you are!!!

Humor over:

I am so sorry you are having such difficulties mama. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help! Hugs gal!!!
#26 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 02:09 PM

Moving this to Health and Healing...
#27 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 03:26 PM

Jeca, I am wondering how you are feeling. When do you see a doctor? I don't think you should chalk this up to stress. It certainly could be migraine symptoms but it might not be. Visual hallucinations are very rare and usually can be attributed to, medication or some organic cause. Migraines can cause these types of symptoms and in some cases, there is no accompanying headache. They are called opthalmic migraines. There is no treatment for them and often the condition will disappear as quickly as it came. It is puzzling that you are having auditory hallucinations as well. Though, again migraines could be the cause. Neurological stuff is weird but shouldn't be ignored. Let us know what the doc says.
Lisa

afro.jpg
#28 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Lisa. Things will just get blurry or aout of focus for a little. I do have visual hallucinatiosn when I am very very tired. I've always had those but not blurryness. Actual hallucainatiosn like elphants crossing the road(weird I know). But that's only if I am really tired not just drving to teh park or something. My appointment is wednesday I will make sure he checks my eyes. My grandmother and mother need glasses to read maybe it's time.
#29 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 04:36 PM

The hallucinations you described when being very very tired are called "hypnogogic". They occur just as we slip from a conscious state into a sleep state. Lots of people experience those and they seem extremely real. I had a person tell me that right before she went to sleep she saw little men dancing on her chest. It felt real to her but I was able to convince her that it was a hallucination and that she wasn't going crazy. Truthfully, it took all I had to keep from lol :LOL

I will be very interested in what the doctor tells you.

Peace mama

afro.jpg
#30 of 34 Old 02-11-2005, 05:04 PM

funny you should mention that purple.

I used to see purple ppl run across the room. Sometimes they would crawl, and sometimes they would skip.
They looked just like the from of a human, only they had a purple glow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page