Vomitting, how much is too much? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-23-2002, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my dd (4 months) has started vomitting or spitting up more than usual. Its not huge amounts but is quite a few times in the day and not always after eating. She has also just figured out how to roll onto her belly and that defineately makes her throw up! So if I leave her alone for even a short time, she's rolling in her throw up! big mess needless to say!

Is it normal for her to go through stages where she throws up more than usual?????

:
#2 of 3 Old 09-23-2002, 10:42 AM

Hi.

At about 3 months my DD started spitting up really badly after eating--almost projectile, in fact. Turns out she had pediatric gastroesophageal reflux --which sounds scary, but just means the valve at the top of the stomach was still immature. She outgrew the condition, as do most kids.

You might try making sure your DD burps well after eating, and try keeping her upright, or at least off her stomach, for a bit after eating to see if that helps.

Are you bottle feeding or breast feeding? In either event, are you letting her come off the nipple on her own and feeding her on demand? Those things should help make sure she's getting as much as she needs, but not eating too much and overfilling her little tummy.

Also, take a measured bit of milk, about a teaspoon full, and pour it on to a dinner plate. (I'd use regular milk or formula; I wouldn't waste breast milk for this.) That will give you an idea of how much that amount of liquid looks like if it's been spit up. Try it with other measured amounts as well. That will enable you to guess more accurately how much your DD is spitting up, so that if you continue to be concerned you'll have accurate information for your pediatrician. It can also reassure you if it looks like she's spitting up a lot, but it turns out that it's actually only a teaspoon or so, meaning her intake isn't really being compromised.

HTH.

Stephanie
#3 of 3 Old 09-23-2002, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Stephanie!
I am breastfeeding an on demand. I don't think its actually that much its just that before, she could go almost a week without spitting up once (lucky me!) so I'm just not used to it and it seems "gigantic"!!!
Maybe because she is moving around alot more now.
I will keep an eye on her
Leanne

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page