Chiropractors can reverse scoliosis?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-23-2002, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently found some information about SRTS (scoliosis recovery treatment system) I had no idea chiropractors could reverse scoliosis in adults!

I would give almost anything to be able to have a straight back. Do any of you know anything about this treatment? Is it risky or painful? How well does it work?
#2 of 13 Old 09-25-2002, 03:17 PM

I've only been a chiro patient fro about 2 years but my dh has been for 22 (he's 22 now). He was discovered to have minor scoliosis as a young teen. From what I've heard from my chiro and my in-laws and research....depending on the severity they can help it...uif it is bad I don't think they can cure it though. Regardless of that it WILL help no matter how much it cures it....does that make sense??

I'd call around before you go to a chiro....I'm not too much into the chiros that offer as much physical therapy as they do adjusting. I know that training muscles is important..but often if they do a lot of physical therapy they are something different thatn a straight chiro..I guess it depends on what you are looking for!!

Good luck

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#3 of 13 Old 09-26-2002, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

bumping. Where are all you chiro mamas?
#4 of 13 Old 09-27-2002, 09:30 AM

I had a mild case up until age 19. (I'm 40) My right arm hung about 2 inches lower than my left from it and the curve in my spine was quite noticeable on the x-ray.
A month of 3 times weekly adjustments straightened it out. I don't know if it was actually clinical scoliosis, but it was a spine curvature that I had had for some years.
#5 of 13 Old 09-27-2002, 06:59 PM

That is really interesting. I was diagnosed with scoliosis in like 4th grade, had to wear a brace in 6th and 7th grades (like jr high isn't hard enough!). It is still curved though, my right shoulderblade sticks out farther then the left, pants are a bit crooked... was I adjusted by the brace all I could be, or would a chiropractor help out even more???
#6 of 13 Old 09-27-2002, 07:05 PM

I would def see a chiropractor!! They can just about always help. Sometimes I have one leg longer than the other or one shoulder higher or my head sits crooked. The chiro adjusts me and I'm fine...of course I don't have scoliosis. BUT they can help you some!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#7 of 13 Old 09-27-2002, 07:43 PM

I go to chiro for scoliosis. I had the brace as a teenager (ugh!). My curve is moderate, but I had a lot of pain. My chiro said that more can be done when you are under the age of 23. I started going 4 years ago and he told me that he could not correct it, but could stop the pain and prevent it from getting worse. Four years later, my curve is 10% better and NO PAIN!

I started going twice a week, then once a week, and eventually once a month. It doesn't hurt to get adjusted. If you have any other questions, you can e-mail me (gretchenkolo@yahoo.com).
#8 of 13 Old 10-03-2002, 09:01 AM

Hi there
I don't know too much about chiro care but felt the need to plug my area of work
Bowen therapy can also help with a scoliosis. If your interested in finding out what this is about ... www.bowtech.com has great info and a locator to find a practitioner in your area.
Good luck
#9 of 13 Old 10-03-2002, 10:06 AM
PM
Banned

I just found out that my pelvis is tilted 9mm to the left (or left leg is 9mm shorter than right). I'm seeing a chiro on Tuesday about it. I'll tell you what she tells me.
#10 of 13 Old 10-03-2002, 11:23 AM

Since I am a chiropractor I will tread very carefully here so as not to step on any toes.

There are several structural integration techniques that report to cure scoliosis. As far as I know, none of these techniques are taught as standard curiculum in the colleges, but rather they are post-grad seminars that a dr. can elect to take. I would run a search on the various techniques, and then contact the technique that appeals to you th most and ask for a list of practitioners in your area. Chiroweb.com and dynamicchiropractic might be good places to start. Searching google for scoliosis and chiropractic might work too.

Traditionally we are taught specific adjustments to promote proper spinal alignment and to help correct minor degrees of curvature. Almost any chiropractor will be able to help you in that regard. ~90 percent of patients feel better after a short series of treatments.

Personally I would be wary of anyone who would tell you that they can reverse a 40 year old curvature overnight, but I am not familiar with the techniques mentioned above. so please take my oppinion with a grain of salt.

All the best, Mir
#11 of 13 Old 10-03-2002, 11:49 AM
PM
Banned

Okay, slightly OT, but you're inbox is full.

Ooh ooh! A chiropractor! Question, question!

Besides the 9mm tilt of my pelvis, I also have loss of cervical lordosis. I am really wary about allowing a chiropractor anywhere near my neck! Do you think I have reason to worry? Do you think a chiropractor can help or should I venture into western medecine for help with this one?

Thanks, I've been racking my brains (and the Internet - to no avail) about this one.
#12 of 13 Old 10-03-2002, 04:40 PM

A huge amount of the population has a reduced cervical lordotic curve. It is essentially psysiologically normal.

If it is not symptomatic, then it is really nothing to worry about. I do not think that there is anything allopathic medicine can do for this. Chiropractors would work to increase mobility and range of motion, and if you clear VBI screening, there is very few reasons to warrant avoiding chiropractic manipulation.

Adjusting can be done in a wide variety of ways, it can be very forceful, it can be very gentle. This mostly has to do with the skill level of the doctor. Having been adjusted by hundreds of dr's though, I will generalize and say that some men (especially the muscle bound types who really work their vanity muscles) tend to use a lot more force. Many women chiropractors are very soft - you if you are new to adjusting, you might want to try that route. I have met some women who try to prove themselves with a strong adjustment though - so you might want to ask around and get a good recommendation. If you do not know any chiro patients, you can always call dr's and ask them what type of adjusting they perform. You can also tell your doc that you would like to receive as small a thrust as possible.

A good doctor will just take it to where it needs to go, like anything it is a skill learned with practice.

That said, my kids, ages 1 & 2 1/2, have been adjusted constantly since birth. They are both great and my eldest is already biomechanically aware and comes up and tells us when he needs an adjustment ;-)

I cleaned out my mail box, in case you anted to resend the post,

All the best, Mir
#13 of 13 Old 10-06-2002, 03:08 AM

ParisMamamb- I too am a chiropractor and have a very different opinion on cervical lordosis.

It is very common to see. Thus, statistically it is average. It is however not normal. When the curvature of the neck decreases the opening where the nerves come out are compromised (bascially the hole gets smaller) Therefore, over time the information from the brain going out through these nerves becomes altered because the nerves are compressed. The cells at the end of these nerves have a high probability of becoming abnormal and dysfunctional.

Neck pain, tight shoulder muscles, radiating arm pain, numbness, headaches, migraines, recurrent sore throats, thyroid imbalance, visual and hearing disturbances and altered posture (head forward) are some of the common manifestations of a reduced neck curve. Longterm the neck becomes arthritic and degenerates.

So I know that was a lot but adjustments are simple and do help.
Chiropractic care does increase mobility and realigns the bones of neck and an improved curve can result.

I was previously a faculty member at a chiropractic college and even students in the clinic obatined visible changes with post X-ray.

Interview doctors and you will find one you "click" with.

Good luck!

OT PS. I've always wanted to visit Paris!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page