big toe nails falling off 23 m/o toes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-26-2002, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 23 months and both the toe nails on her big toes are falling off.I took her to see a doc yesterday,and he said just to let them fall off,and there was no infection or bruising,so there is no damage to the toe that would be the cause.He wasnt concerned.But I am.I am a firm believer that when things like this happen on the outside,its a warning sign that something is happening to the inside.If any of you have any insight to this,I would love to hear it.TIA
#2 of 7 Old 09-26-2002, 10:14 PM

You are right to question this doctor. Have you thought of taking her to a Podiatrist? He or she may be able to help.

A toddler's toe nails falling off isn't normal.

Good luck.

Mir
#3 of 7 Old 09-28-2002, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying mirlee
She has an appt with her pediatrition on the 11.I have faith in him at least.I would love to get as much informed info before I go in though,so #1 he doesnt talk over my head
#2 If I fell like hes missed something I can let him know,and not to mess with me b/c I know what I am talking about,so he cant rush us out of his office and just dismiss it like the other did.
can you tell I have a trust issue with doctors?Especially when it comes to my children.So any other helpful info on maybe why the nails would be falling off would be 100% appreciated.
#4 of 7 Old 09-28-2002, 04:43 AM

when my dd was about 2, she had a fungus infection on a few nails (one hand and one toe). They never fell off, but they kinda peeled in layers like burnt skin does, and they were very white and brittle. We cured it by applying vinegar twice a day for almost a year (I'll tell the story if you end up needing it).

Just falling off.... no... but it sure does sound strange. Are they going loose from the cuticle or the top? Any sign of trauma on the edge of the toe, meaning bad-fitting shoes or crooked walking style or something?
#5 of 7 Old 09-28-2002, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hey simonne~They are split right across the middle.It starts just above the lunula(half moon white shaped thing).There is no trauma to the toes at all.

Were you applying vinegar to her nails b/c of the fungus,or to help the nail fall off?

Good lick.........
#6 of 7 Old 09-29-2002, 06:54 AM

I used vinegar to get rid of the fungus - which starts under the cuticle so you have to do it until the whole nail is grown out. Any time you forget, you basically have to start from scratch. very annoying indeed.

But just today, my dd's big toenail got some kind of split down the middle, like the top layer is loose. I know how she got it: a few weeks ago, I saw that the cuticle had grown over part of the nail (she hates any kind of fussing including pushing cuticles back, mine also tend to grow over the nail if I don't do that regularly), and it finally "snapped" loose. Right where it snapped is where the nail "broke" now. We kinda clipped the loose part off as good as we could. Hope that does it. Maybe your dd has something similar? Is there maybe a good lick fairy floating to certain houses ?
#7 of 7 Old 09-29-2002, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

You crack me up!:LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page