Please help.. high fever... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-26-2002, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd (almost 11 mnths) started getting a fever last night... (went up to 103, then back down)

she seemed better today, but started getting warm again at night.. she is now at 104F. she's sleeping, but dh was really worried about the fever and said he wanted to give her some tylenol. i said i'd rather not, she's sleeping and not uncomfortable. i took a bath with her earlier and we're keeping cool washcloths on her head.

i think she is teething.. (she has 8 teeth right now, and it's been about a month since the last 4 started poking through.)

anyway, dh called our ped. another dr (the one on call) called us back and told us that teething doens't cause fever higher than 99F.

so dh got really mad at me for not wanting to give her tylenol. i just don't think it will help. what do you think? any ideas? is it true that teething doens't cause fever beyond 99F? i don 't want something happening to my baby, but she just doens't seem sick to me.

no other symptoms, she was just a bit tired at night and fussy.. has been sleeping for about an hour and a half.

oh, and my parents suggested putting washcloths dipped in part vinegar, part alcohol, part water solution on her wrists and ankles. (some russian thing) - any ideas about that?

sorry this is so rambly, i just want to post this and hopefully you all wise mamas will have some words of wisdom for me.

thanks so much!!!!!!
#2 of 9 Old 09-27-2002, 12:24 PM

My dd got fevers around that high when her teeth came in. Most doctors will say teething doesn't cause fevers, but I know a lot of moms who have experienced it. High fevers can be really scary though, at least for me. When my dd was dealing with this, our Dr (a homeopath) said as long as she was able to stay hydrated and get sleep that we didn't need to use tylenol. We just gave her lukewarm baths and waited it out. We did try tylenol when she was miserable, not sleeping, or breastfeeding, and it didn't help. I have heard the vinegar thing but haven't tried it. I have heard that tylenol will bring the temp down, but it often just prolongs things. This is just our personal experience, but I hope it helps. Oh, there was an article in mothering a few years ago called "soothing fevers naturally", let me know if you want me to dig it up!
#3 of 9 Old 09-27-2002, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

her fever went as high as 104.6 last night.

i gave in and we gave her tylenol twice.. i too think that it only prolongs things and lowers fever for a little bit instead of letting it break on its own.

so first thing this morning we went to the dr. our regular ped. is on leave, and we've never seen this dr. before. he looks at her and says her tonsils are inflamed. he's going to give her antibiotics and says not to let her drink milk or water - giver her coke or sprite. :

i asked if this tonsilitis is a bacterial or a viral infection, (i'd rather not give her antibiotics in any case, but especially not if it it's a viral infection) he said there is no way to tell and that we'll know which one it is after we give her the antibiotics (it they work, it was a bacterial infection, if not viral) now i'm not sure if i'm crazy, but i just don't think it's such a good idea to give an 11 mnth old antibiotics if he's not even sure what kind of infection it is.

then i told him that she barely eats any food when she doesn't feel good, and all she's had in the last two days are bmilk and water. to which he say "nah, she won't be able to keep that down because of tonsilitis, you'll just irritate her stomach more, just give her sprite or coke"
mind you, she has not thrown up or shown any discomfort in these last two days. when the dr and the nurse checked her tonsils, she started gagging and ended up throwing up.. if they jammed a stick down my throat, i'd probaby throw up too!!!

so we left there.. i was so no happy!!

we went to our local health food store, and someone there suggested getting some colloidal silver. we got the spray and when dd wakes up i think i'll try it.

anybody has had experience with the colloidal silver spray? is carbonated crap really better than bmilk and water?? (we got some recharge - an electrolyte drink - and thinking about diluting that with water)

sorry so many questions...

and brett, i would love some more tips on reducing fever (she's better now, but i have a feeling it's going to get worse again at night)
#4 of 9 Old 09-27-2002, 03:16 PM

Don't have any experience or knowledge of the coloidal silver... but my children have had fevers... to be honest I often don't bother taking their temp. really hot means a high fever.. a little hot means a slight fever.... anyway.. my feeling is that a fever is your childs way of fighting off something... the fever means her body is working, doing exactly what its supposed to do. that is a GOOD thing. I agree that if your baby is uncomfortable or not sleeping, then tylenol may help, I have used it in thse instances ,too.
I think that any DR> who tells you that SODA is better than breast milk for your sick child should be laughed at!!!!!! you've got to be kidding me. Do YOU think your 11 mo dd should have soda???? And as far as the antibiotics go..well, you need to follow your own instincts with that one. I have gotten the same routine with the antibiotics from my dr... I just took the prescription from him and went home.. when ds showed signs of improvement on his own, that very afternoon, I knew he didn't need the antibiotics. If he had seemed worse or no improvement by the next day I was going to have the prescription filled.
Hope your little one is better and please remember to trust your instincts!
#5 of 9 Old 09-27-2002, 04:21 PM

I pulled out the article I mentioned; a lot was on the how fevers work and it said see your Dr if it is over 102. Some home management ideas were give lots of fluids and don't push food if she isn't hungry. Some of the herbs recommended are echinacea, oregon graperoot, catnip and chamomile. My dd likes the glycerine tinctures and I take echinacea myself to get into my breastmilk for my infant ds. I don't know much about colloidal silver, and all the tonsilitis remedies I have used on myself were nasty gargles that wouldn't be appropriate for a 11 month old. I think recharge is a good idea, and I wouldn't feel good about giving my kids coke or sprite, since I know coke acts as a diurectic and increases fluid loss and I will bet sprite acts the same. I know that isn't a lot of help, but good luck, it can be so hard when they are sick! Oh, and if you try antibiotics, it might be a good idea to give acidophilis afterwards to help restore her beneficil bacteria. Sorry about any typos, nursing and typing sometimes don't mix.
#6 of 9 Old 09-27-2002, 06:46 PM

Well we all know that breastmilk is best for her while she is sick I dont care what he tells you especially if she has a sore throat it will soothe her. She needs to nurse as much as possible and as much as she wants.
All my kids have run high fevers my 10 yr old use to run 104 when cutting molars and eye teeth of course back then i gave tylenol. With Baby #4 we had one fever last yr and we used homeopathy and she was fine her fever was 102 it would go up and come down up and down she was sweating It was really strange how it worked for her. I would give lots of fluid NO COKE OR SPRITE for god sake her body doesnt need the sugar. And boost some Vit c
Healing vibes your way
#7 of 9 Old 09-27-2002, 07:38 PM

I'd say find a new dr!!!! Coke!!!! That is ridiculous!

DD always has a high (103) fever when her teeth are breaking thru. I keep hearing that teething fever is an old wives' tale, but I think the old wives must be right.

She also goes off of food. I just roll with it and let her drink lots of milk. She will also take some fruit, she especially likes cool watermelon chunks to gnaw on. Lots of water content is good!
#8 of 9 Old 09-27-2002, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your replies...

when i told a woman i work with (3 grown kids) and my mom (3 pretty much grown kids) about what the dr. said, they both had the exact same response as you: "what?? soda and no bmilk??"

even if i thought keeping her away from milk would be a good idea, how in the world would i keep her from being at my breast when that seemed to be the only thing to calm her down..

well, anyway, she seems to be better - cranky and fussy, but not that hot anymore.. i guess we'll see what happens tonight.

i tried spraying a little bit of colloidal silver, hopefully that'll help.. if anyone does have experience with it, any words of wisdom?

what would i do without MDC?
#9 of 9 Old 09-28-2002, 10:10 PM

just wanted to add that Herbs For Kids has a great tincture called TEMP ASSURE
I LOVE it!

it has a mixture of different herbsto help the body cope with the fever better

Get the book KIDS ,HERBS, & HEALTH by Sunny Mavor
www.herbsforkids.com I think

::
momma to 4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page