Very Bad diaper rash, need natural cure ASAP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-02-2002, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4mo. old dd has a TERRIBLE diaper rash. Is there anything i can use that is natural? I have tried mixing baby lotion and breastmilk in the past (as silly as that sounds) and that has always cleared it up in a few hours!! But this one is really bad! Need advice or recipes ASAP!!!!
#2 of 21 Old 10-02-2002, 12:29 PM

Breastmilk doesn't sound silly at all... I've heard it cures all kinds of things, from ear infections to eye infections... But, I'm wondering if this awful diaper rash isn't yeast? My baby's worst diaper rashes were yeast, and they were horrible, red, evil-looking things. Is the rash teeny raised dots? Does she have any other signs of yeast (thrush in her mouth) or do you have any signs (nipple soreness/redness)? Our worst yeast rashes we couldn't cure without using an OTC anti-fungal. But, something else that helped a lot was lots of naked time and frequent baking soda baths (like 4 a day; you can just dunk her bum in a sink if that's easier).

Best of luck to you and your babe!
#3 of 21 Old 10-02-2002, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

It isn't raised bumps, it is like a bad bright red sunburn and it is almost purple in some spots!! Yukky! I tried breastmilk again, and vitamin E but it didn't work. Then last night i put on some prescription medicine the ped. gave us last time but that isn't working at all either. i will try the baking soda and see if it ust takes time to show improvement.
#4 of 21 Old 10-02-2002, 05:32 PM

Happymommy,

My dd and I both just got over yeast rashes. They were really bad and sound like what you are describing. I treated us both with a candida diet, but I needed to use a little monistat on both of us for about a week. I put off using anything unnatural, but it really helped with the discomfort. My pediatritian, who is quite natural minded said the it was good to use a little monistat on the rash, even on a babe, for yeast.
HTH, Shelley

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#5 of 21 Old 10-03-2002, 09:37 AM

For non yeast diaper rashes, I find Calendula cream works best. Welda makes one, it's homeopathic, and can be found in most heatlh stores. Lots of air time, and make sure the area is VERY dry before putting cream or dipe on. Watch for acidic things that you or dd might be eating, as this can cause a rash.

For the yeasties, try some acidophilus. You can break the capsule open and get dd to suck it off your finger (it's internal that can cause the rash) You can make a paste of it and put it directly on her rash. Take some your self, so she gets it in the breastmilk. Increase your garlic intake and decrease your diary/and sugar intake.

HTH
#6 of 21 Old 10-03-2002, 10:14 AM

I need help with this one too. One of my DSs has a diaper rash that seems classic for yeast--it is firey red, and he says it itches and he practically scratches his penis and scrotum off. I was Rx'd Nystatin cream by the pediatrician and it has not made it better. Is monistat really ok for a 19 mo old, and if it doesn't work, what else is there? I am tempted to take him to his dermatologist to see if it is anything else, like maybe an extension of his eczema, but I was under the impression that eczema spares the diaper area because it is usually moist. TIA for your advice.
#7 of 21 Old 10-03-2002, 01:23 PM

Has anyone tried Gentian Violet for yeast bottom? I used it for mouth thrush with my babe and painted my nipples as well - worked like a charm, and I actually really liked the color!

With that said, I used Nystatin ointment on his poor red bum and it cleared up just fine.

I hope there isn't a next time (this was caused by antibiotics in labor - yuck) but if there is, I think I will try the Gentian Violet.

Barbara
#8 of 21 Old 10-03-2002, 02:45 PM

If you beleive it is yeast. You can try to eliminate ALL sources of sugar from the diet, this includes juices. Yeast thrives on sugar! Next is to give a drop or two of Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) per day for a few days. this will kill yeast! when yeast dies, it produces some toxins in the body so expect some behavior difficulties, once behavior begins to improve give probiotics. This will help the system regenerate the good gut flora.

I have a child with autism, yeast is a continual problem because we are chelating him. This is the most effective natural way we have discovered to get rid of the yeastie beasties.
#9 of 21 Old 10-03-2002, 08:57 PM

My MW has me use a beat up egg white on the bum after every diaper change for yeast infection. Works every time. I do however use a country egg instead of store because of salmonella(sp?) but of course you can use a store egg just be sure to wash your hands after using and make sure the baby doesn't get its hands down there.
After applying blow on it to help it dry before putting on diaper, within a few days it is cleared up for me.

For diaper rash my MW suggests olive oil.

If you are BFing you taking acidophilus orally will get tru to the baby and also help.
#10 of 21 Old 10-04-2002, 06:26 PM

Cranberies are also good for yeast. Use the unsweatened cranberry juice mixed with water- it tastes sour and bitter but my 3 y old dd likes it better than no juice at all. I also recomend homeopathy for kids- works great with my dd eczema and rash around her anus even though she is diaper free and washed after every poop .
#11 of 21 Old 10-04-2002, 06:28 PM

Cornstarch has worked wonders for my little one. Just pile it on and top with whatever cream you usually use. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes....
#12 of 21 Old 10-29-2002, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seanjoshmom
[I am tempted to take him to his dermatologist to see if it is anything else, like maybe an extension of his eczema, but I was under the impression that eczema spares the diaper area because it is usually moist. TIA for your advice.
I used to care for a boy who had really really bad eczema, and he always had a red bottom. That whole area always flamed up when his eczema did, and I felt so bad for him b/c him mom only bought real cheapy, rough wipes, so I know that diaper changes really hurt. And bieng constantly moist is usually what causes rash and irritation, so maybe you should check out his diaper situation. I think it definitely could be an extension of the eczema, especially since it's so itchy, but what do I know?! All I know is once the child I knew was allergy tested and found out he was allergic to beef and egg whites, he was SOOOO much better! What a relief!

Blessings,

Emily
#13 of 21 Old 10-30-2002, 11:54 AM

My ds had only several bad diaper rashes and this is what I would do : rinse in sink or tub (his butt to clean it), then let it air dry. Squirt breastmilk ALL OVER his butt and let air dry (and I mean drown it). Then apply a VERY VERY THICK layer of A & D ointment (that brown, stinky thick ointment). When he had a poops, I would take a squirty bottle with warm soapy water, and squirt that on the butt, and the poop would slide off if you have enough A&D on there. Don't wipe, pat gently and slather more A&D. Maybe 3 times a day soak butt in tub to remove A& D and apply more breastmilk.

Once, I used Calundula homeopathic (Hylands) liquid ratio on the bottle and applied that to gauze and dabbed that on, after the breastmilk. That cleared up just the same.

Part of the key is to avoid any rubbing to the area, and also don't put any chemicals on there like baby lotion etc that contain alcohol or whatever. A& D isn't "granola" but it is really thick and a very effective barrier. Good luck
#14 of 21 Old 10-31-2002, 01:58 AM

Just a thought--be careful using any ointments with cloth diapers. They can stain, especially Desitin.
#15 of 21 Old 10-31-2002, 07:50 PM

The best thing that I have found for diaper rash is to get some fresh aloe vera and split a piece open and apply that every diaper change. Good luck!
#16 of 21 Old 11-01-2002, 12:38 PM

If it isn't yeast then you may also want to try some Lansinoh
#17 of 21 Old 11-03-2002, 12:33 PM

My DD had some real bouts with nasty diaper rash, having inherited her mother's sensitive skin.

Here was our biggest secret: a liquid antacid like Maalox or Mylanta. Use a cotton ball (or 2) soaked in the liquid and coat his bottom with it after you've cleaned him after changing. The antacid counteracts the acidic components of urine and feces and makes the skin feel better. Sounds weird I know but I swear it works.

We'd usually let the mylanta dry, then put a little powder over it to make sure it was dry, then apply diaper rash creme over that, then lightly powder that to keep it from sticking so badly to the diaper. Sounds like a major production, I know, but 1 or 2 changes using this routine and she'd be considerably better.

We've used Balmex and A&D both and they're both good. Weleda diaper rash creme is great, and actually has a higher zinc oxide content than most of the other brands. Sometimes if one brand isn't working, another brand will. Consequently we used to keep several on hand, bringing out the Weleda if things got bad.

If the rash is caused by yeast, I would use an OTC yeast preparation like Monistat or GyneLotrimin creme. My DD never had yeast diaper rash so I can't offer much there.

Of course you know all the other stuff about frequent changes, letting air get to his bottom, cleaning as much as possible with water, that kind of stuff. Pampers Rash Guard baby wipes really do help too.

You might also need to change the kind of diaper you're using. My nephew would develop terrible diaper rash unless his mom used Pampers. My DD did better with Huggies. And some kids are better in cloth. But if you're using a store brand diaper, you might want to try a premium brand and see if they keep more urine away from his skin.

Please let us know how it goes.
#18 of 21 Old 11-05-2002, 04:49 AM

When ds was little , he got this rash that was cracked skin right in the crotch at the top of both legs. So much chub it wasnt' getting dry. When I realized it wasn't really ever clearing up, I put some yogurt on him, rubbing it into those leg folds. Then I bathed him, made sure I really dired the area, and sprinkled golden seal root powder into the little crevices. This is a natural potent germ killer, plus as a powder, it helped absorb moisutre.

It cleared up right away, and for good. (But I was very careful about getting the crevices dry after that)
#19 of 21 Old 11-05-2002, 04:58 AM

We also use teatree oil in the tub(just a few drops).It helps get rid of any bacteria,and things.It really helps alot.Also always make sure you wash your hands well after everu diap change.I know it like well I know,but my dh wasnt so good at that and was jumping the rash back and forth between the girls.
I hope your babies bottom feels better soon.
#20 of 21 Old 11-05-2002, 05:23 AM

Here is my infamous recipe passed down from a friend's mother
The ONLY thing that worked in Indie's rash that she has had off and on for the whole first year. NOTHING else worked, even prescripts....kinda a combination of ideas already posted;

2TB maalox
2TB Aand D ointment
2 oz tube of Lotrimin

mix in a babyfood jar or small airtight container...slather on each change and voila!!

goodluck, they are annoying little buggers.....those rashes
#21 of 21 Old 11-05-2002, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page