odd tongue markings... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-03-2002, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
o.k. dh has a weird tongue,he has burned it countless times, and cracked it down the middle by eating too much salt on a burn blister....(odd teen, him...)anyway, i never thought much of it,until dd who is 13 mo, and teething molars learned to stick out her tounge and i noticed the same type markings(no crack down the middle tough).They are whitish wavy rings in various sizes.It doesn't seem to bother anyone but me-I am massively curious...any thoughts?

:::
#2 of 8 Old 10-04-2002, 12:04 AM

In Chinese medicine, looking at the tongue is one of the ways of diagnosing. Dh (an acupuncturist) is asleep right now, but I'll check in with him on what that particular thing could mean ...

I wouldn't think it's anything serious, especially since daddy has similar patterns. My dd and dh have similar-looking tongues and they have some of the same health issues/strengths, i.e. eczema.

I'll check back in ...
#3 of 8 Old 10-04-2002, 12:18 AM

So he wasn't asleep after all...

He said without a photo, he couldn't tell much. If you're really concerned, an acupuncturist can give you more information. But he didn't say anything like, "OH NO!! Whitish wavy rings!! OH NOOOOO!!" so I wouldn't worry.

Maybe someone else can come along and offer a bit more help...
#4 of 8 Old 10-04-2002, 03:27 AM

#5 of 8 Old 10-04-2002, 03:47 AM

my dh and ds2 both have geographical tongues, it means nothing at all to them!! I have no idea what a naturopath or other alternative practitioner may have to say about it, but our family is riddled with allergies, asthma, anaphylaxis, eczema, hay fever - maybe there is some connection???
#6 of 8 Old 10-05-2002, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our DS has Geographic tongue. Sometimes it looks like it's been stripped of the papillae.

When I talked to one of the peds about it he said there may be a connection to allergies and such, but since the condition itself is harmless there's nothing they do for it. Nothing they can do as far as I can tell.

His tongue looks funky, but he reports that spicy foods don't bother him and there is no pain, so a funky tongue is just one more DS characteristic.

AS far as we know there's no family history of this either. I'd never heard of it until this year online and then when I noticed his.

"What will you do once you know?"
#7 of 8 Old 10-05-2002, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thankyou, I didn't expect so much interest and information, thankyou again!

:::
#8 of 8 Old 10-06-2002, 06:53 PM

My ds'd tongue gets swirly things when he eats a lot of sugary foods & it goes away when he eats better. My tongue gets strange markings when I eat a lot of acidic foods.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page