Moms dealing with elevated lead levels - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 626 Old 10-16-2006, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
hi mamas. i just found out my dd (13 months) has high ;ead levels. we are working on the legal issues now (we rent our house) what can i be feeding her etc to drop the levels? we have an enviromental person coming tomorrow to test the whole house we may move depending on the results.

Foods that are high in calcium, iron and vitamin c.

Good examples are broccoli, grapefruit, yogurt

High in Iron:
lean meat, chicken, turkey, fish
dry beans and peas
broccoli
raisins
cereal

High in Calcium:
milk, cheese, yogurt
broccoli

High in Vitamin C:
oranges, orange juice
grapefruits
potatoes
tomatoes
#302 of 626 Old 10-17-2006, 12:34 PM

thanks mama!!
anyone know of the best high phosphate cleaner for lead removal?

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#303 of 626 Old 10-17-2006, 10:35 PM

Hi everyone! We just bought a house built in 1920, and I worry about lead. We will be moving in two weeks. It has all new windows and a brick exterior, so no paint on the outside. But there are a couple of places where the plaster on the walls is cracked and peeling. A contractor told us we just have to scrape it off and paint over it, and it would be fine. I've read only the first page of this thread, and will continue reading more. Also there is an old claw foot bathtub. Do they have lead? Can we just have it resurfaced?

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#304 of 626 Old 10-17-2006, 10:48 PM

I have just recently decided to look into lead for my kids, as we live in an old house. I haven't read this whole thread, just the first few pages.
#305 of 626 Old 10-18-2006, 06:59 AM

Quote:
anyone know of the best high phosphate cleaner for lead removal?
I just keep hearing about using dishwasher soap, like Cascade.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#306 of 626 Old 10-18-2006, 07:05 AM

Quote:
what can i be feeding her etc to drop the levels?
Agree with the post about iron, calcium and vitamin C. See what your child's levels are, though, as they typically test iron along with lead since lead poisoning and anemia seem to often go hand in hand. Lucy's hemoglobin was actually really good, so we didn't stress as much about iron as vitamin C and calcium.

Lead is also fat soluble or something like that, so the doc at the emergency room (as fate would have it, a pediatric lead poisoning expert!) stressed the need for a low-fat diet. So, even though she's only 15 months, we switched to low-fat cheeses and have cut down on avocados and french fries. We're still nursing, so whole cow milk wasn't an issue, since she thinks that's weird stuff.

Oh, and I also keep a bottle of chewable vitamin c tablet in my car. They're yummy and she likes to eat them. They're good for car seat fussiness and for keeping a good amount of vitamin c in her! Not sure of the brand... got it at Whole Foods.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#307 of 626 Old 10-19-2006, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I strongly disagree with low fat diets for kids. Children need fat for neurological development. It makes no sense to deny a child what he/she needs to develop properly. How is that a safeguard?
It is true that lead bonds with phosphates, but I cited a study earlier in the thread indicating that other types of cleaning are equally effective. Phosphates are terrible for the environment. That being said, powdered Cascade has a higher phosphate concentration than the liquid. Read the labels. You can purchase TSP lead cleaner, trisodium phosphate, at the hardware store.
Vitamin C, Iron, and Calcium are best from food sources, not a factory. Please read the thread, you will find answers to your questions. . . .
#308 of 626 Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 PM

I'm only on page ten of this thread, but has anyone tested their bathtub for lead? Scary article: http://www.original-refinishing.com/main3.html It looks like most lead experts don't think lead poisoning can come from bathtubs, but sometimes it can.

#309 of 626 Old 10-20-2006, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride View Post
A contractor told us we just have to scrape it off and paint over it, and it would be fine.
First, have it tested if you have any question about the paint. Most lead paint was exterior paint, not interior, but that doesn't mean everyone who ever lived there followed the directions on the label.

As for scraping and painting, it is supposed to be done by a certified contractor, but the certification is pretty easy to get. You and/or dp could take a one-day class and learn how to do it. The process is pretty involved. You scrape wet, so you don't have dust floating on the air all over the place. There are also procedures for collecting the scrapings onto dropcloths, and proper disposal. The approved paint is a special paint that is supposed to seal in the lead.

I think it would be a bad idea to "just scrape it off and paint over it." That is probably the best way to spread the lead everywhere in your house and insure that dc gets a good dose. It would be better to paint WITHOUT scraping at all.

Congrats on your new house, it sounds exciting.
#310 of 626 Old 10-20-2006, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post
I strongly disagree with low fat diets for kids. Children need fat for neurological development. It makes no sense to deny a child what he/she needs to develop properly. How is that a safeguard?
It is true that lead bonds with phosphates, but I cited a study earlier in the thread indicating that other types of cleaning are equally effective.
This concerns me too. Fat is so important in early childhood, and I question whether it is best to take long-term recommendations from an emergency MD rather than the family MD who knows dd and her history, etc. THEN I saw that dd's level was 47! I wonder if the MD's opinion was that such a high level is a risk that calls for any means necessary to alleviate it.

But, for people who come here when their dc has a level of 7 or 10, I think it's a completely different story. Withholding fat is probably likely to do more damage than the lead. At a level under 10, (if I'm quoting right) the IQ could be lowered by 3 points. Bfeeding for 6 mos probably gives 3 points over a ffed baby (and fats are probably a big part of why bmilk is so much better than formula). There are so many things attached parents are doing for their dcs that give them way more advantage than 3 pts. I probably destroyed 3 pts worth of brain cells before I was even legal to buy alcohol.

I don't mean to diminish this problem, it is serious, but for dcs who have a level of lead that is elevated, but not high, I think the ways we approach it can and should be very diffeent.
#311 of 626 Old 10-20-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
This concerns me too. Fat is so important in early childhood, and I question whether it is best to take long-term recommendations from an emergency MD rather than the family MD who knows dd and her history, etc. THEN I saw that dd's level was 47! I wonder if the MD's opinion was that such a high level is a risk that calls for any means necessary to alleviate it.
Thanks for this post. The MD, by the way, wasn't an emergency room MD, but the on call pediatrician at the hospital. DD's levels were high enough that we were admitted to the pediatric ward immediately. The doc who was there actually did a lot of work in his early career at Johns Hopkins, which sees an incredibly high level of pediatric lead poisoning (evidently, there's a lot of it in Baltimore). He also was in constant communication with our pediatrician. I agree that children my daughter's age generally shouldn't be on low-fat diets, and now that her level is down to 7, she is on a normal 15-month old diet again. But, as the PP said, a level of 47 is very high, and I didn't think it was anything to mess around with.

Speaking of risk--we did have the risk discussion with our pediatrician and the doc in the hospital before beginning the chelation. Both docs agreed that the risk of the chelation in this case was nominal compared to the risk of letting a child of her age remain with a lead level that high.

#312 of 626 Old 10-22-2006, 05:28 PM

Hi, just a lurker here. Has anyone ever heard of using blue green algae as a cleansing agent for heavy metals? My herbalist brought it up in a discussion on a local on line group I am in. Some of the moms are looking into it for chelation for lead in their little ones. I did a search of this thread and didn't find any mention. There are so many knowledgable mamas here I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on it?

I am concerned about the bathtub. I read the article linked above. I am going to get a lead test kit. Am I right that I can get one a someplace like Home Depot or is there something better?
#313 of 626 Old 10-22-2006, 06:36 PM

There are two types of lead tests you can get at Home Depot. The one is a vial that you scrape the paint or dust into and then send it off to a lab. These are pretty much the same that my county uses. There are also swabs that you can use to test lead paint. When Lucy's levels came back so high, I went nuts testing everything with these. The benefit of the swabs is that you know immediately--if it turns red or pink, it's lead. I don't know if they'd work on a bathtub though.

#314 of 626 Old 10-22-2006, 11:49 PM

I think with our bathtub, I'm going to fill it with hot water and let it sit for an hour, and then take a water sample and send it in for lead testing. I'm also going to buy a bunch of those swabs from Home Depot and swab everything.

#315 of 626 Old 10-23-2006, 04:58 PM

That is a good idea. I am going to try swabbing it and see. I wonder if I call the health department if they can tell me the best way to tell w/ the tub?

Stacychev--thanks for your info also!
#316 of 626 Old 10-23-2006, 11:10 PM

the state lead inspector who surveyed our old house said that the problem with the swabs is that they detect lead, but do not tell you how much is there (he said a little was okay, though of course we're all skeevish about any) and he said if the paint on the tub was resonably intact it shouldn't leach. he wouldn't even bother to test it, and he was taking dust samples everywhere. fyi you can buy home kits and seal a bathtub yourself, but the 'refinishing' paint really stinks.
#317 of 626 Old 10-23-2006, 11:41 PM

oh, and re: algae what i remember is that many sea vegetables are touted for chelation because of their high naturally occuring iodine levels as well as other trace sea minerals (and maybe glutamine as well). so i would imagine algae functions in a superfood way as well. . . .
#318 of 626 Old 10-24-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
the state lead inspector who surveyed our old house said that the problem with the swabs is that they detect lead, but do not tell you how much is there (he said a little was okay, though of course we're all skeevish about any) and he said if the paint on the tub was resonably intact it shouldn't leach. he wouldn't even bother to test it, and he was taking dust samples everywhere. fyi you can buy home kits and seal a bathtub yourself, but the 'refinishing' paint really stinks.
Hmmm.....Does that mean chips, etc. or just the general wear that occurs w/ the coating? Since the tub is pretty old and the shiny coating is worn away on the porcelain I wonder if that is a problem. Anyway, it sounds like testing the water is the best way to go. Do you know how to find places to test it? Can I find that in the phone book or through the health dept?
#319 of 626 Old 10-24-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
oh, and re: algae what i remember is that many sea vegetables are touted for chelation because of their high naturally occuring iodine levels as well as other trace sea minerals (and maybe glutamine as well). so i would imagine algae functions in a superfood way as well. . . .
That makes sense. I wonder if anyone here has tried it and seen any changes? The herbalist I know did it for aluminum and had good results as shown by hair tests.

Speaking of hair tests, does anyone know how long you have to wait between tests for changes to show up? I know they aren't recognized in the medical community as being as accurate but sometimes that is due to lack of knowledge rather than concrete information.
#320 of 626 Old 10-24-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Anyway, it sounds like testing the water is the best way to go. Do you know how to find places to test it? Can I find that in the phone book or through the health dept?
Around here we have a place called the County Extension. They do water and soil testing.

#321 of 626 Old 10-24-2006, 02:34 PM

soo... i dont have time at the moment to type up the whole story but it ends up our paint ISNT LEAD . neither is our soil.
our water 99% is not lead..but that hasnt been checked just yet...
WHAT THE HECK ELSE COULD HAVE LEAD?!?!
keys...we dont let her play with them.
crib...don't have one
old toys...dont have any only haba and toys from germany.

im at a loss!!!
do magnets have lead maybe? i dont know what it could be!! please help!!!

#322 of 626 Old 10-24-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
soo... i dont have time at the moment to type up the whole story but it ends up our paint ISNT LEAD . neither is our soil.
our water 99% is not lead..but that hasnt been checked just yet...
WHAT THE HECK ELSE COULD HAVE LEAD?!?!
keys...we dont let her play with them.
crib...don't have one
old toys...dont have any only haba and toys from germany.

im at a loss!!!
do magnets have lead maybe? i dont know what it could be!! please help!!!
Do you have a piece of paper stating that there is no lead? Can you tell us more about how you were told/shown that there is no lead paint or lead in the soil?
I only mention this because the stakes are so high for landlords that some will actually doctor lead inspection results or have a "friend" do the lead testing. Did the state do it?

Antique plates/cups with designs on them can sometimes have lead. Old pipes can have lead. Old furniture could have lead paint on it.
#323 of 626 Old 10-24-2006, 02:44 PM

we hired our own environmental inspector. dh has the papaers he faxed him... i can post the number later tonight our landlord wants us to pay for everything now too..$500 for the inspector!! :

we dont have any old furniture. we have some tea cups from japan that i have used as baby bowls..im not going ot use those anymore,though.

#324 of 626 Old 10-24-2006, 02:45 PM

hmm i just hthought of something..e have an old wooden swing from the 70's 80's with old paint on it..its not cracking or anything though.. maybe ill run ot home depot to test that just in case htough...

#325 of 626 Old 10-24-2006, 04:01 PM

Has anyone heard of just putting new paneling or wallboard up over lead paint? I read in a pamphlet that this would be considered a permanent fix to lead paint. It seems like the easiest way too. And it wouldn't disturb the paint, making dust. Would all the trim have to come off and be replaced?

#326 of 626 Old 10-25-2006, 12:47 PM

My mom is sealing in some peeling paint with a type of wallboard. If the trim has lead, something would have to be done. The EPA really does have lots of instructions at epa.gov. Go look, really.
counterGOPI, if the swing's not peeling that's not it. Venetian blinds have lead. Any toys with flexible wire inside. Folk remedies from other countries. . . Bullets and batteries. Cheap toy jewelry. How old is your house?
#327 of 626 Old 10-26-2006, 05:23 PM

I am new to MDC so I have not followed this post...but it brings back a lot of emotion and bad memories. DD1 was 10 mo when we found out her level was 19. We worked with the Dept of Public Health and had our home inspected (built in 1928). We have plenty of lead, especially the windows. None of it was chipping and the windows are never opened, no painted sills or floor boards...so we could not find the source. In our case, it ended up being the underside of the lip on our clawed foot tub. DD1 put her mouth on it twice...at the time I was concerned with household cleaners (although we make most of them naturally).
When I talked to the DPH they said they had never heard of that but after talking with plumbers, they said a lot of clawed foot tubs have lead paint on the bottom. The tub was sandblasted and re-porcelained to remove the lead. I wanted to throw it in the garbage but new ones cost $1000!!!
Do you have a clawed foot tub? Just wanted to throw that out there...hoping our experience can help prevent exposure in other children. I know how frustrating not being able to find the source of your child's lead exposure.
#328 of 626 Old 10-27-2006, 04:17 PM

My DD just came back with a level of 12. The Dr. and everyone else is like: Don't worry, I am sure it will go away attitude, which is surprising because she is a really good, Dr, and I just don't understand.

The bathroom in our house is all painted wainscoating, and a claw foot rub. Lead central, if you will. A few months ago we atempted to strip the parts that were really bad (like you could not paint over) and re-paint. I am not sure if that made it worse and caused her elavated levels.

Our kitchen also has painted woodwork, and I know it needs to be delt with, tiny flakes are starting to come off. I feel that if I wasn't such a cleaning nazi things could be so much worse. Still - it scares me.

We are having the house tested. Also - I talked to the daycare woman, since DD goes to a daycare in an old home. She says the woodwork was natural and she painted over it (which you can tell). Anyway.

I am really the most upset because I found out from a neighbor that the family that lived her before had children with lead poisening.

AND WE WERE NOT TOLD.

(They also left us with a broken water main.):
#329 of 626 Old 10-27-2006, 06:15 PM

Oh man.

I just found out from the EPA guy that varnish contains lead as well, so this whole myth of " as long as my wood work isn't painted" is a bunch of crap.

I just feel like throwing up everytime I think of this, and I know my DD does not have levels as bad other children.
#330 of 626 Old 10-28-2006, 12:37 AM

All varnish has lead or just old fashioned varnish??? Isn't all wood floors covered with varnish?

I answered my own question, the old varnishes had lead as a drying agent, it talks about it at the end of the first section. Which makes me wonder when this lead was removed from the varnish....

http://www.woodworking.com/wwtimes_oilvarnish.cfm

Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauchtanz View Post
Oh man.

I just found out from the EPA guy that varnish contains lead as well, so this whole myth of " as long as my wood work isn't painted" is a bunch of crap.

I just feel like throwing up everytime I think of this, and I know my DD does not have levels as bad other children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page