Moms dealing with elevated lead levels - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 626 Old 09-19-2008, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, lead SUCKS. I hate it. The most important thing is keeping your kid healthy. It just really sucks that you may never be able to sell your house if you NEED to relocate. I freaking hate lead. Look a few pages back and see milkmommies story. She just bought her house here by me a few years ago. It sucks!!!!! You spend all your money to get a house, then surprise, your kids are sick from the lead and you cant afford to move. And there is not much you can do.
#542 of 626 Old 09-19-2008, 05:28 PM

well the health department called me back and apparently we are not eligible for a lead inspection from the health department unless she gets two blood level readings higher than 15. the fellow was super nice and talked with me for 40 minutes. most of the information he gave me was not new, however....and he said that if we were to find a private contractor to perform the inspection, they would likely just tell me to do the same exact things that he was telling me (clean with wet rags, change out the water in the bucket frequently, etc) especially since all the paint is intact, and the obvious known source (refrigerator) had already been removed.

so we are back where we started, kinda.

now all i have to figure out is how the heck am i going to clean the house while taking care of a crawling/almost-walking 11 month old?

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#543 of 626 Old 11-21-2008, 11:17 PM

subbing--11 at 12mo :

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!
#544 of 626 Old 11-26-2008, 04:20 PM

we just got the results of the retest they did at dd's 12 month visit.........her lead level is down to a 7!!!! down 10 points in 2 months!! hooray!! ::::::::::

i feel like a ten ton weight has been lifted.....what a great thing to be thankful for this thanksgiving

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#545 of 626 Old 11-26-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyoats View Post
we just got the results of the retest they did at dd's 12 month visit.........her lead level is down to a 7!!!! down 10 points in 2 months!! hooray!! ::::::::::

i feel like a ten ton weight has been lifted.....what a great thing to be thankful for this thanksgiving

:
#546 of 626 Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 AM

to all the mamas & babes dealing with high lead levels.

I am confused about lead levels and wonder if anyone can lead me to a resource or two. I had my & my children's blood tested for lead back when the wooden toy paint stories were in the news (plus we live in an old house). My kids tested low, fortunately, but my doctor said that my level was "on the high side" and said it was 2.1.

Now I'm learning that "high" lead levels are much higher than 2.1 and I feel confused by the doctor's response. I can't seem to find any online charts about what is considered average and I have found an article that talks about how people with lead levels higher than 2.0 tend to develop heart issues, etc. later in life.

#547 of 626 Old 12-20-2008, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Testing at 2.1 does not seem high at all to me.

My daughter's first test results were 31. I know the state where we were living at the time (MD), did not provide any kind of assistance for anything under 10. And I thought I read somewhere that it is nearly impossible now to get a zero lead test result, because lead has been in so much stuff for so long. With my second child, we had already moved out of that horrible house before I was even pregnant, and his 12 month lead results just came back at 2 (or was it 3?) and the doctor didn't even bat an eye.

That seems strange to me that your doctor would be alarmed. He's not prescribing chelation is he!!!
You said your kids tested low, but you were high at 2.1. What were their results? And I am surprised that you found something saying that people develop health problems with lead levels over 2. I think they need to be much much higher than that.
So far with my daughter (now 5 yo !!) everything seems to be good.

Hope this helps.

Narnia, mother of Anorien (10/03) and Ford (5/07)
#548 of 626 Old 12-20-2008, 10:43 PM

I have an appointment in 2 months with the doctor, and I'm going to ask him to test for lead for all my kids. None of my kids had it yet, and I never realized it was so widespread. In Canada......

However, my oldest had a hair test done reccently, and the lead came out to 0.93. The range is under 1. Is this considered high?

(I need to decide how to chelate- through DMSA, or homeopathhy.... because he is somewhat Mercury toxic. High Arsenic, Silver; medium aluminum, lead, antimony, tin.)

Should I be very worried already?

Thanks, Ana

Mom to 4 Boys
#549 of 626 Old 12-21-2008, 08:51 PM

Espresso ~ what were you about to post? I am not understanding your response.

AnoriensMom, thanks for your feedback. I agree with you and wonder what they were talking about at the doctor's office. I am even wondering if they even know what they were talking about as it would not be the first occurrence of them giving me erroneous information.

My kids tested at a level that was too low to detect, according to the doctor's reading, and they said that that means they are considered low.
#550 of 626 Old 12-27-2008, 09:14 PM

Anyone know about the levels of lead in regard to the hair test?

Thanks, Ana

Mom to 4 Boys
#551 of 626 Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 AM

I don't know about the hair test for lead. I've read some varying things on the 'net about it. There is definitely controversy about whether it's good for lead or not (while acknowledging that it's good for other analyses). Personally, I'd do a blood test.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#552 of 626 Old 01-02-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

We never had hair tests done...

Narnia, mother of Anorien (10/03) and Ford (5/07)
#553 of 626 Old 04-23-2009, 09:19 PM

I feel better than I did last night, after receiving a certified envelope from the DOH yesterday afternoon. DS (12.5mo) had a level of 10 last week.

We moved in last November after having done half the renovations in the house, did some more while living here... never cleaned like they recommend doing. Never knew we should. You just don't realize how it can end up. The pediatrician wasn't even pushing for screening but I knew we were high-risk... but no one (not even in NURSING SCHOOL!!) tells you what that means, or how to combat lead exposure.

And here I am thinking I'm being a good mom by not washing his hands all the time, letting his immune system develop, not being neurotic about cleaning...

Well now. The house is getting cleaned from top to bottom, we bought a HEPA vacuum, we're wet-mopping like crazy. We'll be changing our methods of renovation (and perhaps leave while renovations occur).

I don't know if we qualify for NY state assistance/loans/etc for lead removal, and can't find any information about it online, but I know low-income folks can qualify for it. We did a couple home tests of surfaces and found that paint we thought was OK ISN'T!!! And paint we were concerned about might not be a problem... a decent amount of peeling or chipped paint, didn't realize the dust was probably more of a problem... carpet we'd only used an awful vacuum on... ugh

We bought the house from my FIL who said he "painted over all the lead" but it appears he may have painted it over WITH LEAD PAINT :: :cry because he probably had some lying around. WTF. DH doesn't want to leave the city (upstate NY), can't afford to leave, can't afford to stay in our home. Don't know how much it's going to cost to cover over it or remove it, don't even know the hot areas. Scary to know it could be ONE location. And we didn't test for lead before moving in, dumb us. And didn't research it. FIL felt sick last night that his grandson might be in danger, but today he went on and on to me about how there's always "something else" that's a danger, yadda yadda yadda. : like cigarettes (he's 83 y/o, but he QUIT smoking because he knew it was a health risk! All the chemicals and stuff he says, "I'm still here and I'm FINE!!!"

So we're making sure diet stuff is good, we've plastic-ed off unfinished areas full of construction dust, we are changing plans for re-doing the kitchen.

But man. And should DS and I be gone while we decontaminate?

Thanks for being a place to vent. I've had a profile here at MDC for over a year, but never posted. But I need it now.
#554 of 626 Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 AM

Hugs to you. I know that sick feeling in your stomach, the guilt that you could've done something. You can't beat yourself up about it. You're doing great.

About being out of there: when Lucy had her lead poisoning, the doctor told me that, depending on what the county lead inspector said, we might have to be out of the house during the course of her treatment. There was no renovation going on in the house at the time, so that wasn't a worry. But, we were renovating another house and had plans to move that month which we pushed off for six months just to be safe. My feeling is that, yes, you should be gone during contamination.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#555 of 626 Old 05-01-2009, 02:20 PM

Stacey, thanks.

things are going OK here - DS and I have been out of the house since Sunday night, DH has been home and working, as well as having 2 folks working full-time on cleaning and lead-elimination rather than renovation I'm glad it's in progress - all carpet should be gone by now, and most o the rooms have been cleaned using the post-construction protocols (though secondary bedrooms upstairs haven't been cleaned yet).

The goal is to get lead encapsulated or removed in a couple important rooms before we move back. Rough times. I miss home. Poor DS's world has been turned upside down (though he is loving being around other kids, his schedule is all off and he's not sleeping properly - just now getting close to his normal nap schedule and getting to bed earlier than 10pm!). And in other ways, it's really going fine. just miss home, y'know?
#556 of 626 Old 05-01-2009, 07:18 PM

Well, hang in there Sylva. Ezra is about the same age Lucy was when she was diagnosed. It's a monumental thing, but it'll end!

#557 of 626 Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 PM

Hi Galls,

Just found this thread:
My DD2 who will be a year tomorrow has tested high for lead. We had an inspection done this week also by a certified lead team (they brought that paint testing gun and took dust, dirt and water samples). It looks like it is from our chipping paint in little places all though out the house and possibly a few door inside that stick causing lead dust. Anyone else dealt with this by just spot touching the paint even though it will look horrible I just don't think we have the time or money to paint everything in total just the spots that are chipping? we will have a pocadotted house for awhile!!:

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#558 of 626 Old 08-26-2009, 02:34 PM

Hi All,

Just fond this thread too.

I am waiting to get back results for my son's lead test and I am soooo scared I am llterally sick to my stomach.

We live in an old house with lead trim also and we decided to have 2 "clean areas" where my DS crawls/plays and we wear slippers that are only in those rooms so we don't track any paint chips (although paint is in ok condition).
Monday we decided to do a home test on the old tub where DS bathes and it came back positive. They had told me about the lead in the tub many yrs ago but it didn’t really register that it would be a problem! My DH and I discussed this months ago but it just didn’t register or occur to us about lead in tub going to water to toys to mouth and so on…..
We were so focused on the paint we didn’t think about this (even though I am pretty obsessive about these things) and now I feel awful and stupid. I am always an “on it” kind of person when it comes to safety and I feel sooo guilty and sad I don’t know what to do with myself. : (

Don’t really know what to do with myself now-feeling paralized!!!!!
#559 of 626 Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 PM

I feel terrible for you, Debobu! I didn't have to wait for my daughter's first lead test (because it was routine, and we had no inkling she'd have lead poisoning), but each subsequent one, especially the ones right after her chelation treatment, were terrible. When do you expect the results back?

Keep us posted!

#560 of 626 Old 08-26-2009, 03:06 PM

Thanks for your concern....Tomorrow or Friday we should know.
Hoping my breast milk gave him some protection....
#561 of 626 Old 08-28-2009, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, that sick stomach feeling, waiting for the lead test. You don't have to hope your breastmilk is protective. There are plenty of clinical studies that prove it. The small meals throughout the day leave Ca in the baby's stomach to bind with the lead s/he ingests, plus the baby's usually superior Fe and Ca status supply more of those to bind with any lead that gets past the stomach.
#562 of 626 Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 PM

Thank you Stacy and Provocativa,

I have good news to report- the test came back within normal range so I am sooo thankful!!!!!My husband and I started crying in the car when we found out. We are thinking about moving...we don't want to be thinking and worrying about lead chips, etc....We'll see.

I had to undergone chelation on and off for a year when we did construction to our house and got lead poisoning myself! It is a stressful and scary process (and more so when it involves your children).

Thank you so much for your replies and support during these last couple of days and I wish you all the best and wishes for low lead levels for your babes/kids.
#563 of 626 Old 08-30-2009, 02:13 AM

How can I test my son or myself for lead? I have an order for his blood work with several boxes checked, but none of them says LEAD. WHat should it say? I'd mark it myself.

Also, what are the symptoms of lead poisoning?
Thank you!
#564 of 626 Old 08-30-2009, 10:01 AM

Ask your doctor--your paperwork might be in codes if there are a lot of tests on there.

Symptoms of lead poisoning are easy to find with a google search. Here's the first hit that came up for me:
http://children.webmd.com/tc/lead-poisoning-symptoms

PLEASE be aware, though, that not all lead poisoning is symptomatic. My daughter had a lead level of 47, which is very high and required immediate hospitalization. Yet, she didn't show any symptoms.

Here's a chart of lead levels and their interventions:
http://lead-info.com/levelschart.html

#565 of 626 Old 09-24-2009, 01:08 PM

Bumping this..just got the call from DS Ped saying that his finger prick level is 15.9
his iron was 'normal' though not sure the range or level
we are off to the Children's Hospital to do the blood draw, as she says she can not rely on the finger prick to be accurate..

*BTW, I pushed to get his iron and lead levels tested because he has a speech delay at (21 months old) I saw his Ped at 16 months and pushed for the tests then, finally 2 weeks ago he was tested...needless to say I'm FIRING his Ped!
Please get your babies tested and NEVER ignore or quiet your inner mama gut
#566 of 626 Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 PM

Totally agree. I always say that I'm the lead testing poster mom. I tell everyone about Lu's lead poisoning, because I want them to get their kids tested!

I hope everything works out well with your DS.

#567 of 626 Old 09-24-2009, 08:14 PM

WHich is a way to get a little one tested for lead other than blood draw. We went for a blood draw for ferritin, iron, D, folic, B12 and then she showed me that for lead testing (which I ordered myself) it will have to be another HUGE tube even bigger than those two two she already drew. So I told her 'next time', and wrote you to see what are ways to check for lead are. I read above that finger pricking? How come they never offered it to us at the ped?
#568 of 626 Old 09-24-2009, 08:15 PM

Can i buy a test kit for home testing?
#569 of 626 Old 09-24-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trus View Post
WHich is a way to get a little one tested for lead other than blood draw. We went for a blood draw for ferritin, iron, D, folic, B12 and then she showed me that for lead testing (which I ordered myself) it will have to be another HUGE tube even bigger than those two two she already drew. So I told her 'next time', and wrote you to see what are ways to check for lead are. I read above that finger pricking? How come they never offered it to us at the ped?
My ped does a routine heal prick, which will give you a level, though if it is elevated, you need a blood draw.
We just got DS tested today and it wasn't much blood at all, actually.
Not sure why you weren't offered it yet, depends on your LO age as well, my ped routinely checks at 12 months(she never offered the test to me, her excuse was we don't vax so the only time she sees DS is for a sickness or concern, I mean....she is a major )and 2 years old.
When did you get the iron tested, sometimes when the iron level is low they will test because your body will absorb the LEAD more if you a low on it.
Hope any of the helps
#570 of 626 Old 09-24-2009, 11:05 PM

So ANY ped can do it by pricking a heel? We found out he is low on iron long time ago and were never offered a lead check. I'll call them and ask to come and get my son tested.

So if the levels are high, then they send you for a blood draw?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page