Moms dealing with elevated lead levels - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 626 Old 01-31-2006, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in a two family and the lead abatement on the other unit is complete so we are living there while our home is deleaded. It is such a relief to be free of lead paint, at least inside. The exterior of the house will be completed as soon as the weather is warm enough. So now unpacking is my only stress, and that is so much better.

Anyone else have an irrational fear of paint chips? There is paint chipping in the house we are living in now, and we know it isn't lead paint. But I freak out when my son goes near it. Hopefully we will start painting soon and then I won't have to live in unneeded fear. I know the house was inspected by the state and has passed, but I can't let go of the fear.

My son has his second test today. I am nervous, both about the results and having a venous (sp?) test. His last test was a finger prick and that was terrible. It is my birthday, so as a birthday present to myself, I am going to be very pushy and request the best technician from the start. You would think they call in the best technician from the start when taking blood from a toddler, but not at my lab

Wish me luck : )
#182 of 626 Old 02-01-2006, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkingirl71
Your little girl is amazingly gorgeous

In my state (MA), a 13 is considered "elevated", but not a medical emergency. The process is the same, retest in three months and get a suppliment if iron levels are low. But the health department is contacted and they make an appointment to talk to you about lowering the levels. Did your doctor talk to you about lead abatement/containment? If not, I would get a new doctor.

Do you rent or own? If you rent, I would talk to your landlord right away (or maybe after you find out what your rights are). If you own, see if there are programs in your state to help you remove lead.

I can tell from the pictures that you live a beautiful house. So sad they always have lead

Good luck!

Beth
The only thing my doctor did is ask if I had chipped paint on my house, I said only on the laundry room which we don't hang around too much, and he said to stay away from it, like that is "THE SPOT" and there is no possiblility it could be coming from some other place, especially since the paint on the laundry room is a paint from after the house was first built. He didn't talk about any other preventative measures, where I could get help, or anything, he even said that anything under 10 is "normal".

I own my house and it isn't that nice but it has potential, I have been trying to find programs in my state and emailed one person who directed me to teh web sites that I already looked at, I guess I will call the health dept in my area, although I have dealt with them and their nutrition knowledge is very... hmmm commercial.

One new piece of info that my grandma brought to my attention is that aircraft uses leaded fuel : , and I am in the path to an airport that isn't to far away so their are planes flying over my house all day, the emissions are probably just like that of the old leaded cars!!! So, it is possible that it is in the air and soil and if that is the case, even soil replacement wouldn't help!

edited to add: it is truly a shame and very disturbing that doctors are only helping babies/children that have lead levels that cause retardation!!!
#183 of 626 Old 02-01-2006, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

I have a fear of window sills in general! We were at a friends house and dd started hanging off the window sill, and I freaked out and told her to stay away from the windows. They did not have lead but just the site of her touching them filled me with fear!
We have never had a finger prick test, always from the vein, and I can tell you that they get more used to it. After doing this every few months for over a year now, dd doesn't cry as much now. Our next test should be next week, but it now takes 30 days to get the results...agony.
I don;t think I ever mentioned this before, but after months of trying to force the liquid iron down our daughter's throat, I started requesting that the pharmacist add grape flavoring. It is only $2.50 and makes a huge difference. Now sometimes she even requests it! But the iron permanantly stains everything so we make sure nobody is wearing good clothes or cover dd with a towel.Now I go back and forth between giving the liquid iron and then not wanting to because of the constipation which does seem counterproductive to lead removal.
Jrayn, I agree that the health department has some wierd views on nutrition. I forget now who I was able to borrow the HEPA vac from. It was only $10. You can't see the evil lead dust, you know. Your doctor should know that jsut because there is only one place with visible paint chipping, doesn't mean that the dust hasn't been spread all over your house. One thinng that terrified me was when the lady from the health department commented that our cats were also tracking it all over the house and onto our bed.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can find some good knowledgable help.

Narnia, mother of Anorien (10/03) and Ford (5/07)
#184 of 626 Old 02-06-2006, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maman*Musique

I have never thought of testing myself and I am nursing. I don't think that would be the likely culprit. Anyone know about that?
Apparently lead stores in the bones for up to 20 years. I remember reading somewhere that the bones are constantly remaking themselves, so conceivably some of the lead goes right into the bloodstream and into the milk. I'm wondering about this too.
#185 of 626 Old 02-07-2006, 03:12 AM

Well, I went to the health dept, after waiting 30 mins to speak to anyone, I was given a paper to fill out the details of why I was there so they could "help me better", I explained my daughter's lead level and what the dr was only testing in 3 mnths - no other preventative measures, and I explained that I had heard abt a program that would send some1 to my house to check the lead so that I would know what to remove.
Well, after almost another hour, I went to the window w/ my fussy 13 mnth old and asked the nurse when I would be seen b/c dd wasn't going to be able to sit in my arms much longer and she tells me, "you have a dr already, you should see him." I tell her that I am not here about medical needs, (as the paper says) and ask her abt the program, she tells me she has to research it and will call me later!!! (could've saved me a lot of time if she read the paper and told me that an hr prior, but this is how the health dept works)

well, amazingly I did get a call on the SAME DAY!! from a woman who asks me a few questions abt the living situation and then she says she will refer me to (forgot what she called it) but it is the people that come out and test the home!!! Now it has been close to a week and I haven't heard anything and am wondering if it will take months or what will happen?

If anyone read this much, has anyone gone through the health dept/environmental services? If so how long does this take for the testing of the house to be done?
#186 of 626 Old 02-08-2006, 03:27 AM

I just realized that I haven't introduced myself! I have been lurking for a long time. I've been worried about my babe because I have a history of working on my old house and I was careless with what was probably lead dust. (I used to take food into the room with me on a plate and eat it later after doing some sanding on an old wood door, etc., and my cats always slept with me after hanging out in the undoubtedly contaminated soil).

Anyway, I had my own blood levels tested when I was pregnant (the results said <2). I suspect that lead is stored in my bones and that it is slowly released and accumulates in my babe.

Has anyone read Sandra Steingraber's "Having Faith" about her experience with her dd's elevated lead levels? She had the whole apartment checked out for lead (none was found in the swab of dust behind the radiator) and her dh quit his high risk job and the dd still had elevated levels....

Anyway, it got me thinking about breastmilk as a means of transmission.

I want to have blood drawn on my 10 month old because we are living in an old rental and the paint is in BAD shape almost everywhere. (we did test positive with those paint testers from Home Depot.) I am having an eval done (privately) on the house this week to pinpoint the hotspots (I can't live in fear of not knowing and paranoia anymore! -I've been putting duct tape over cracks and parts that babe picks at.). There are some friction spots that drive me to distraction!!! ((You know how when older paint is rubbed by something and the surface gets that metallic look? Does that mean there is lead present??)) Ugh. I can't wait until I KNOW. I can't imagine what you all are living with.

I think of how much cleaning I need to do -babe touches EVERYTHING! Is there a place where one can rent HEPA filtered vacuums?

Also, I've heard that you are supposed to specify that the blood sample be drawn into lead-free vials. Is there a name for these, or something specific I should ask for?

I've only breastfed so far. Babe has been showing lots of bruises on his legs. Should I start to supplement some iron? (For him- I already do some supplementation.) If so, how? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks, and peace and power to you.
#187 of 626 Old 02-08-2006, 12:43 PM

Hi I would like to know anyone that has an older child now..that suffered lead poisoning at toddlerhood. My older son now 12 had a lead level of 22 when he was 12months old. We moved out, even though it set us in debt. So luckily the lead was only going into him for about a year. I did everything to stop the lead from getting in..iron absorbtion, wet clean, etc..nothing worked. Now he is 12 with some problems. I would like to know of anyone else in this boat!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#188 of 626 Old 02-08-2006, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

doing quick research while dd is napping

"lead does not concentrate in breast milk because it does not attach to fat; indeed, levels of lead are generally higher in a mother's blood than in her milk. Several studies have found higher blood lead levels in formula-fed infants than in breast-fed infants.
Much of the lead in breast milk does not come from the mothers' exposure during lactation. Instead, it comes from lead stored in the mothers' bones. Because lead mimics the beneficial mineral calcium, it is stored for decades along with calcium in the bones. During pregnancy and lactation, a woman's body extracts calcium from her own bones to provide calcium for her child's bone development. Calcium extraction from bone is greatest during lactation, and as a result, lead stored in the mother's bones also enters the blood and breast milk during pregnancy and lactation, posing an exposure risk to the fetus.14 A study in April 2003 confirmed that ensuring adequate dietary calcium intake or taking a calcium supplement before pregnancy, during pregnancy and during the entire lactation period decreases the blood lead level in lactating women. Supplemental dietary calcium most likely decreases the amount of calcium and lead that comes out of the mother's bones. Therefore, women can significantly reduce their baby's exposure to lead by getting adequate dietary calcium or taking a calcium supplement during pregnancy and lactation."
from http://www.nrdc.org/breastmilk/lead.asp

"it has been known for some time that breast feeding also stimulates the release of lead that has been stored in bone tissue.
The authors of the study concluded that breast milk lead levels were directly related to bone lead levels; but they emphasize that the benefits of nursing outweigh the risks associated with lead exposure stating, “It has been shown that lead levels in infant formula are greater than concentrations of lead in breast milk.”
from http://www.nrtco.net/~lead/breastfdg.htm

"There is much controversy over how much lead is in breast milk, however, experts all agree that breastfeeding should continue unless there has been severe lead poisoning diagnosed in the mother during her life. Artificial baby milks and cow's milk also contain lead. Reducing your exposure and continuing to breastfeed is the most effective way of limiting your baby’s risk of lead exposure.

How much lead is there in breast milk?

Because breast milk is an ever changing substance, it can be difficult to measure and the literature shows a wide range of results. There has also been the problem of contaminated specimens. What has been found, is that the lead levels in breast milk are related to the lead levels in a mother's blood, but breast milk contains only 5% or less of this amount. Having your blood level checked is a simple way of estimating the risk to your baby.
from http://www.lead.org.au/lanv6n2/update002.html

I guess the bigger question is how this lead poisoning will effect my daughter when she breastfeeds her baby.

I got the results from her latest test back this morning. It went up, not good.
The progression has been 31, 30, 25, 21, 19, 16, 16 and now 17.
Between the 31 and 16 was when I sealed all the windows shut and cleaned like a maniac. Between the two 16s was when the lead abatement was done. I was upset that it did not change during those three months but I was not too worried since all that work was done. But now, months after our house is supposed to be lead-free.....aaarrrgggg!!! I have a call into the nurse at the health department that has been helping us. My first thought was maybe my bmilk. I have never been tested, but after doing this bit of research it seems that I would have needed to be lead poisoned as a child with my nusing now leaching the stored lead from my bones out into my milk.
Will keep you all posted as I learn how this increase could have happened.
oh, my baby....it was supposed to have gone down, now we have to wait more months til the next test...

Fedup, not sure if i can handle your answers right now, but what kind of problems is your son having? What was your progression down from 22 like? It is zero now... right?

Djwratha, I just looked through my "lead folder" and saw that I was able to rent the hepa vac from the county's planning and zoning dept. not sure why it is there, but worth checking your county's.

jrayn, for me everything with the health dept happened pretty fast. just keep at it. later, trying to get a grant for the work to be done, I had to call consistently and even sent in a picture of my adorable dd, so that these guys behind the desk would see that we were not just some numbers. be a fierce mama squeeky wheel.

more hugs to us all

#189 of 626 Old 02-08-2006, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jrayn, for us it took a month until the State environmental inspector to get to our house (and that for a level more than double your dc's). Our local health department had not applied for federal grant money to cover lead certification/inspection. They sent an upper level Nurse Practitioner, who was trying to get the certification back, and a nurse "nutritionist" who seemed to be neither. That month in between the blood test and the house test was torture, and more cleaning than I'd ever done in my life. Constant cleaning.
#190 of 626 Old 02-09-2006, 02:39 AM

thank you for the answers about health dept's response timing, provocativa and AnoriensMom, it is really hard to be patient as everyone here knows!

FEDUP, I am also interested in the older children that had high levels, when did you first notice problems in your child ? (I read that they don't show up until later in childhood)
My dd is only 13 mnths old so I don't have answers although I wish I did!
#191 of 626 Old 02-09-2006, 04:11 AM

Hi yes his lead level is 0 now! Thankfully. He has problems concentrating in school, mood swings, but he is very smart and in the gifted classes in school. His problems have just started to show up this year. He seems borderline ADD, but I do not like the term ADD so I will say he is very spirited! I hope someone has some info about this!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#192 of 626 Old 02-10-2006, 04:32 PM

Hi everyone. We are in the same boat here as my 14 month old son Henry has a level of 17. It has gone up since five months ago when it was at 14. HPD came and tested our apartment and submitted their complaints to the landlord who promptly had the unsafe areas painted. We were away on vacation at the time and were not here to observe what was done. We assumed everything would be fine afterward and were not incredibly worried. It so happened that the week that he got his second blood test results HPD came to retest the work that the landlord did 5 months ago and found that it was a quick fix and the problem was not solved.

I have since quit my 2 day a week job to be with him all the time and am taking him away for 8 days or until the problem in our apartment is resolved. My husband plans to be here when they do the work on Monday. I wish that I had taken this more seriously when it was first detected. This time around I was determined to find other people who have been through this or are going through it now. A friend of mine sent me a link to this site and I am so relieved that this exists. I have been having terrible nightmares of not being able to keep my baby safe in all kinds of scenarios. The more I read about lead poisoning the more paranoid I become.

I have postponed weaning him from the breast and am giving him iron supplements every day. He is getting .06 ml per day. This is what our pediatrician prescribed but I would like to know if you all think it should be higher or lower and is there a particular brand to recommend. He seems to be making all of the milestones for his age though he is very hyperactive. If he was older I would say that he has ADD but it is hard to judge at his age. He is also small for his age in some cases still fitting in to 6-9 mo clothes. You see, I am paranoid!!
#193 of 626 Old 02-11-2006, 02:07 PM

Welcome, Heatherik, to the club that no one wants to belong to. I can only briefly answer your questions. I don't recall that lead poisoning at your son's level can be related to slow growth. Was he premature? If your ped hasn't mentioned it, well, people do come in all sizes and bigger isn't always better. However, optimum nutrition is essential both to prevent issues from the lead, and for better growth, too, so I would definitely read all this thread and then check out the Nutrition and Good Eating forum here. Most western diets are deficient in many nutrients. As for supplements, it is proven that food based vitamins and minerals are absorbed better- iron or otherwise. So, optimizing diet (adequate calcium and iron + C) is better than a supplement. If that is not possible (picky toddlers!) then most of us would advise a food-based iron supplement, from the health food store. A dark stool or constipation would indicate poor absorption. Prescription supplements are almost always synthetic, and poorly absorbed by many. A lot of us cook in cast iron, too.
There are also studies indicating that breastfed children have fewer severe symptoms then formula fed counterparts. I think weaning under age 2 is ill advised, but my mom was an LLL leader, so you can surmise our family culture about that one!
My mom has thought my dd was borderline hyperactive, too- but I have no comparison. As for the ADD, I worry about it. And, since I know for certain we have the lead poisoning for a risk factor, I have eliminated all other risk factors within reason. She watches no children's TV, and only sees the thing on when dh is home. Very little sugar, and no food additives like MSG or food dyes, no processed foods like hot dogs- all of those things exacerbate ADD. Before we even knew of the lead, I had her on a modified version of the 'brain health' diet advocated by the autism docs (extra fatty acids, etc).
As for the landlord, lead containment is a viable option. But the whole house will have to be lead cleaned, and if there is lead paint outside, it is still a problem because of microfine dust and tracking it in/blowing in through windows. Even if they painted chipped areas, there could be residual dust. (see our cleaning threads)
I never let anyone babysit my dd in our old house either. I guess I thought they would let her eat paint? Well, I knew they wouldn't be as diligent as me.
#194 of 626 Old 02-14-2006, 12:53 PM

Wow, I just re-read everybody's posts. There were a few months in there that I missed with the info about breastmilk transmission and flouride and indoor vs. outdoor paint. Thanks, all for the great information.

We have high lead levels indoors on two walls and a door (and some of our furniture!) and outside (with paint chips galore!). We had an inspector come with an "XRF gun". Still waiting to get the report. Still, it is not as bad as I thought it would be (because I hadn't read the PP about indoor paint being different from outdoor!).

So good to know where to focus. We have two old doors that create friction and paint dust...That is my nemesis right now. Am coming up with a plan for how to minimize risk with painting and a cleaning schedule and keeping the cats from contact with the contamination outside...

Are really high lead concentration tile countertops okay in a kitchen? even if they are chipped? The inspector blew it off... It seems like you wouldn't want to put acidic foods on the tile??

POWER to the wonder-Moms (YOU ALL!) who work so hard to make the world better!!! Is this not a lesson for why poverty is a downward spiral?? It gives me motivation to lend a hand for those who have to deal with low-income housing.

Thanks again for the info!
#195 of 626 Old 02-20-2006, 11:51 AM

My ds is 18 months old next week. We hadn't done his lead test yet. But he has had a little bit of peeling paint in his room...on Saturday we finally tested it and the test came back positive. Then I realized that the sanding my dh did before we moved in on the baseboards downstairs was likely reaching the lead paint. I just tested a couple of places (the dust on top of the door jam) and it was also positive. My ped said to bring him in on Friday for a test. I'm not sure how to wait that long. Should I call back? Do I need to keep him from playing with the toys? I guess I should also has dd's checked? She is 4 1/2 and had two tests and I was told both were normal - we were in older houses at the time.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...I'm feeling a bit like I'm going to have a panic attack about it.
#196 of 626 Old 02-20-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

hey, hipem, I'm in Maryland too, and I know they have some good lead resources. not sure how to give you advice on calming down. had a few panic attacks myself. but
op gotta go

#197 of 626 Old 02-21-2006, 11:28 AM

My advice would be to read this whole thread, and start lead cleaning now. Doing something proactive will help the panic- most of us have been there. Let's not even mention mama guilt. When the state lead inspectors finally came to my house, they were annoyed that I had lead cleaned. But it took them f***ing forever to get there, and none of my relatives offered a place to stay and we couldn't afford a hotel. It's no fun thinking your child is playing with poison.
#198 of 626 Old 02-21-2006, 06:26 PM

with all of us moms dealing with this terrible issue. Just been catching up on the last 5-10 posts, seems like so many of us struggling to protect our children.

Lulu (aged almost 18 months) was OK (don't know exact numbers) since our summer renos and replacing all our (super high lead) windows. I was so scared that the act of reno (including on two lead walls) and tearing out the windows was going to poison her. KWIM, you try to protect them and you end up making the situation worse!

If you do borrow a vac from the health department, make sure it is certified (this means a peice of paper with a number and a description) to do lead abatement. Ask, insist, to see this paper or the specs before you use it. Otherwise, you will be blowing lead dust everywhere.

May we all get through this with the least damage possible to us and our children, and their children...

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#199 of 626 Old 02-21-2006, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

the nurse who was helping me at the health dept got in touch with a lead specialist in my state and he said that this increase in her level means that she definitely still has some exposure to lead. am racking my brain aoubt how that could be possible in a now lead safe house. I also asked the nurse to find out what a normal progression would look like and he told her that in a lead-free environment her levels should drop by half every 4 weeks. but he was quick to point out that it is nearly impossible to have a lead free environment these days. but still, it makes me wonder if we had just moved instead of renovating if she would be down to zero by now. I guess I'll see if I can get the guy to come back with the wand.

#200 of 626 Old 02-21-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnoriensMom
hey, hipem, I'm in Maryland too, and I know they have some good lead resources. not sure how to give you advice on calming down. had a few panic attacks myself. but
op gotta go
I changed his appointment and took him to get his blood drawn today. Should know more in a few days. It will be a hard wait, one which I'm sure you mamas are all too familiar with.
#201 of 626 Old 02-22-2006, 09:29 PM

Thanks Provocativa for acknowledging my post. I have been away with no access to a computer. I have been vigilantly feeding him nutritious foods though he is very picky. He loves black strap molasses and whole yogurt. He is finicky with all fruits and vegetables but we are finding creative ways to get him to eat. Thanks for leading me to the healthy eating section on this site.

I went away with my baby while they worked on our apartment. My husband hired someone to test our apartment while we were away and he found a lot of lead in places including where the work was done. The bathtub read off the chart levels of lead but we haven't found any evidence of enamel posing a threat. Apparently HPD doesn't test tubs because they say that the tough surface can not be ingested and that the lead from the enamel does not leach out into the water. HPD is coming again on Saturday and we will have them test in the places where the other company found lead. The landlord does not have to fix anywhere other than where HPD orders him to.

We are here only for one night and are going to stay with my parents tomorrow. We will most likely end up moving. I am just worried that we will encounter this problem everywhere we go with a baby as active as ours. Anyway, he is having his third lead test tomorrow and I am praying that the numbers will go down.
#202 of 626 Old 02-23-2006, 12:41 AM

Well I haven't heard from the lead inspectors yet but it hasn't been a month yet so I am just being impatient, it feels like it has been more then a month.
I have been telling my grandmother about all the horrible effects of high lead and she was advised by her boyfriend who happens to own a health food store, to take Hypatia to a holistic doctor to get a hair analysis and sooo she did, she paid for it b/c god knows I wouldn't be able to as much as I did want one, I have to wait until Monday for the reslults but I am hoping that maybe the Dr from there will have something that will help to get rid of the lead safely, and some new advice, although I have gotten a ton from here I am always open to hear more!
Will post the results and any advice I was given
#203 of 626 Old 02-23-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherik
Apparently HPD doesn't test tubs because they say that the tough surface can not be ingested and that the lead from the enamel does not leach out into the water. HPD is coming again on Saturday and we will have them test in the places where the other company found lead. The landlord does not have to fix anywhere other than where HPD orders him to.
Every state is different regarding lead law, but in my state, they also say that tubs are not dangerous. Our tub read very high and the inspector said that is only matters if you have the tub refinished. I am glad, because I love my tub : )

I wouldn't worry too much about the areas that the HPD does not order fixed. The laws are very conservative in most states. What state do you live in?

Good luck : )
#204 of 626 Old 02-23-2006, 04:06 PM

We live in New york City. They have pretty tough laws on negligence regarding lead but it is hard to get anyone to do anything about it.
#205 of 626 Old 03-13-2006, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

I am mostly posting to bump this back up on the list for any new lead concerned moms.
Has anyone had any recent testing done or other good news to share?

jryan, what did that holistic doctor tell you?

#206 of 626 Old 03-13-2006, 04:57 PM

I'm hoping I don't have to join this tribe. I just learned that the reservoir that supplies my town with water has lead levels *7* times the allowed limit. The Water Authority claims that they treat the water and that the lead levels in the water that comes out of our taps is within allowed limits. I don't trust them, period. I'm calling my pediatricians and having my kids lead levels tested. I've stopped letting them drink the water - actually I stopped a month ago due to questions about cancer causing chemicals leaching into the reservoir (a fish was found with a certain kind of cancerous tumors), but my little one still drinks his bath water (which is gross on soooo many levels, but he's 3...) and we brush our teeth with this water and bathe in it.... *sigh*
#207 of 626 Old 03-13-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnoriensMom
I am mostly posting to bump this back up on the list for any new lead concerned moms.
Has anyone had any recent testing done or other good news to share?
Yes--checking in--dd had a blood work up about a month ago and was at 1.4 The lowest result yet (though she was never above what they call 'safe' levels--7.1 was the highest). I suppose that meand that my Nilfisk Vac and vigilant cleaning practices are really working, despite the fact that we have not de-leaded anything in the house. Also, dd's iron level was higher than it's been previously, so I imagine that plays quite a role as well.

Still being cautious...
#208 of 626 Old 03-14-2006, 01:40 AM

I just found this thread as I am debating having my 12mo tested. I have the paperwork for a routine test from my ped. We live in California in a house built in the 50's. All of the baseboards and trim was replaced before we moved in. We don't have carpeting either that would hold anything. The windows have all been replaced also. My main concern would be lead coming from outside the house. WE spend a lot of time outside and the kids play in the dirt. I guess I will go ahead and have the test done. I really dread having to put him through that. I am sort of thinking as I type so excuse my rambling. We have a stucco house w/ some wood trim. I guess my best bet is to have my kids tested and if it is a problem start w/ the house and soil. Thanks for all of the wonderful info. I hope I won't need it . My heart goes out to everyone dealing with this.
#209 of 626 Old 03-14-2006, 01:48 AM

Our house is about that period, and the inspection before we purchased turned up no interior lead, but then dd got it. fortunately our MD does routine lead testing at 12 mos. So I would recommend having the test done. It sucks, but it's less traumatic than some of the alternatives. (Like full-blown lead poisoning.)
#210 of 626 Old 03-14-2006, 02:37 AM

Today I finally got the products from my dd's holistic doctor one is waiora made of zeolite, he said to give 1 drop 3x a day, I will give the link, and b/c of the extra wear on the liver he gave us a liver protect supplement called xymogen it has alpha-lipoic acid, silymarin, selenium and n-acetyl-l-cysteine in it, he said to give half of the capsule's contents a day.
it was friday last week when we got the results it took forever, but the results make me feel even more paranoid then ever b/c it shows other heavy metals too and it doesn't look good....
she is high in aluminum, antimony, arsenic..., lead of course, nickel and her tin level is through the roof!
I am baffled and don't know what to do as far as sources, I am not going to use canned goods anymore.. no more tinfoil that touches food, she used to play with cans (carry them around) but I have put them all out of reach, I don't know what else I can do, she plays by our large window and I imagine the silver part of the window is either aluminum or tin but I am not going to block the entire window from her. I haven't got a clue about the arsenic or how to test for the sources of arsenic if it is in my house... antimony... I don't know about that one either, I feel even more helpless.
but hopefully these potions will work and the waiora says it is safe for long term use
http://www.waiora.com/products/item26000-NCD.php

http://www.xymogen.com/xy_products.asp?code=000032

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page