Mothering Forum banner

What to do about exhaust fumes?

471 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Ragana 
#1 ·
I posted this in Natural Home, but that might not have been the right place. Any help appreciated!

We live in a 1st floor apt. on the intersection of a 2-lane and a 4-lane street. The building faces the 4-lane st. and there is a building between us and the 2-lane st. There is an alley in the back and a building on the 4th side. The house is a 3-flat, so we have windows on all 4 sides.

Basically, we are surrounded by a lot of car exhaust. Lately, I have really been able to smell the fumes in the front of the house (the part that faces the 4-lane st.), mostly in the morning. It probably doesn't help that the house is old and drafty.

Is there any type of air purifier or anything that we could get to help with this? Plants? I fear the health effects of this. Moving is not an option, although we might be able to move to the 2nd floor within the next couple of years. Don't know if being higher up and more at tree level (there are a few large trees around) might help.

What do other city people do about this problem? Otherwise we love where we live.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.