Strep; antibiotics/natural remedies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-29-2005, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had experience healing strep without antibiotics? this winter it seems that strep is passing through our family. we havn't had it in years. 4 of my kids have had strep in the last 3 months(Ihave 7 kids) and now I think I have it. I had fever swollen sore glands sore throaght and headache. I have tried echinacia/goldenseal and silver drops and gargling with grapefuit extract and homeopathic ferrum phos and belladona. today is starting day 3 and I don't feel much better, I called the doctor since I feel that I've tried on my own and now I need antibiotics. I would appreciate any suggestions since I don't want to take antibiotics yet I also don't wat to be stupid!! Ya know what I mean!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-29-2005, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I had strep last year and the doctors wouldn't give me antibiotics because they kept saying it wasn't strep, it was just post nasal drip. It wasn't until all their rapid strep tests were used up and I had to have a cultured test that they realized I did have strep. At that point it was mostly gone, but then it came back again and when I went back to the doctor again, they did another rapid strep test and said the same damn thing.

Now I feel like I'm getting it again. I just noticed last night that not only was it painful and difficult to swallow, but I had white patches where my tonsils used to be.

I'm drinking tea tree oil water--gargling with it mostly, but swallowing some too so it gets down in my throat. I wanted to try gse, but I couldn't find any at the store.

Honestly, I don't know if any of it works. My throat feels a little better today, but it still hurts. Someone here had a recommendation for me last year, but I don't remember what it was.
#3 of 11 Old 03-29-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombh
I have tried echinacia/goldenseal
Have you tried just goldenseal, not the combo? This winter dh and I both started to get it, but were told to take two goldenseal every two hours until we felt better and then 2 three times a day until it was gone. We only had to do it for two days and we all better. I don't know what kind of dosage you used, so this might be useless info if that is what you already did.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

tayndrewsmama
#4 of 11 Old 03-29-2005, 05:55 PM

Last spring, I had strep 3 times, DH had it 3 times and my little one had a double ear infection (ruptured membranes). I couldn't figure it out, because the little one nurses and neither of us consume any dairy. However, my 5 yr. old at the time, was never sick! Turns out, he was a strep carrier! I had to put him on a nasty antibiotic, but, it was either that or get his tonsils out. It did clear up. I tried to treat myself naturally, but after 5 days, I was in pain and completely exhausted. Strep is nasty, and I don't mess around with it. I am anxious to hear if anyone has any natural cures.
#5 of 11 Old 03-29-2005, 06:10 PM

I had strep a few months ago...whew! I remember thinking "If I was old and frail, this would kill me!"
I treated it with lots of long, really hot baths, alternated with sleep...(I *think* the hot baths elevated my fever, assisting my immune system in killing the bacteria).
But if you feel like you need antibiotics, don't feel guilty.
Strep sucks!
I'd say it qualifies as an illness for which antibiotics can be appropriate.
I'm personally just kind of...umm...religiously anti-antibiotics.
I have to really think I'm about to die or suffer permanent disability of some sort before I'll use them.
#6 of 11 Old 03-30-2005, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombh
. I have tried echinacia/goldenseal and silver drops
Do you mean colloidall silver? I swear by CS, but only if it is 500 ppm. The 500 ppm is hard to find, but I get it from Dr. Marijah McCain at the Herbal Healer Academy.

www.herbalhealer.com

Good luck.
#7 of 11 Old 03-30-2005, 09:38 AM

My mother always gave us horehound tea with honey in it. It tastes awful but worked a charm! She knew how to brew it to get the best potency and grew the leaf herself. I think you can probably purchase it in most herb shops. I think she brewed it in water that was off the boil (already boiled then let cool a bit before steeping the leaves) and she would sieve out the leaves before adding honey. We had to drink it several times a day - maybe even every 4 hours. You can probably find directions in a good herbal book. I haven't had strep since I was a child so don't remember exactly the dosage.

In Asia, where we lived for 6 years, they chop up an onion and cover it in honey for several hours. Then they pour off the "juice" and take it by the spoonful to cure strep as well as persistent cough, etc.

Hope you feel better soon!
#8 of 11 Old 03-30-2005, 02:15 PM

I wanted to add that you should make sure that you have a positive culture before treating. Most (80% or so) throat infections are viral but drs like to try to diagnose on exam only as strep which isn't particularly accurate. A viral sore throat can look as nasty as a strep throat. If it were me and it was group A strep, I would treat with antibiotics b/c the complications can be nasty (to include rheumatic fever). I would not treat Group C, G etc.... strep unless natural remedies didn't work. These strains tend to be less dangerous regarding complications. Just my opinion

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#9 of 11 Old 03-30-2005, 07:54 PM

I had strep that kept re-curring for about 6 weeks. I did the full anitbiotics at one point and felt better for a few days and then relapsed.

The only thing that worked was when I went to a homeopathic doctor who had a special strep mixed remedy and another remedy for lymph. I don't know what was in either but it worked miracles for me!
#10 of 11 Old 04-04-2005, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

thanks to all of you for all your good suggestions! I was using colloidal silver but only 1oppm I also think that higher is better but I read some conflicting article and well you know it gets confusing sometimes with all the different info. I did end up taking the antibiotics, I just felt so run down and I know myself well enough to recognise when something is not working. I am going to go to my family physician who is also a homeopath and get aremedy so that hopefully this does not recur. unfortunately she was not in last week for afew days. I definately feel much better and am taking lots of acidophilis.
#11 of 11 Old 04-04-2005, 08:01 PM

Cats can also be carriers of strep.
I had strep many times as a child, dr told mom somebody or a cat was the carrier. Turned out it was my grandmother.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page