Sinus Infection...non antibiotic treatment, please. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-01-2005, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody have suggestions for (what I'm fairly sure is) a sinus infection, without me having to resort to a trip to the Doctor/antibiotics? Last time I had one, I kind of rode it out, but it took eternity to clear up. (I do have to say that my head is pretty clear tonight, which is kind of a strange surprise).

My other problem is that I just got over a bout with a nasty 24 hour type stomach bug which I thought was unrelated to the head cold, but now I'm wondering (since my head and digestive system are both feeling better at the same time). Anyhow, I don't want to take anything that is a diuretic, laxative, or too harsh on the stomach that might make that start up again.

I've been taking GSE in hopes that would help, also lots of vitamin C. Any other suggestions very much appreciated! TIA.
#2 of 3 Old 04-01-2005, 04:46 AM

I've struggled with chronic sinusitus for about 15 years. (however less since moving to california. I think the sun helps. Who knows.) Anyway - I used to go the decongestant route unless it was really bad and then generally ended up with antibiotics. Since getting pregnant and nursing I've been avoiding all the allopathic treatments and have been surprised at how much better I've felt during treatment. Sudafed always made me jumpy and the other stuff was frustrating too.

My suggestions are just coming from my completely unscientific approach of just trying a bunch of stuff and seeing what happened so am not sure what really helped.

I take lots of Vitamin C
Echinacea
Olive Leaf
Probiotics
Fenugreek
Raw garlic and/or garlic tablets
(I've tried a couple of other things that I can't remember right now but the above has been what I've relied on most frequently.)

I've done this at least 4 different times in the past 2 years and have been pleasantly surprised at how well it has worked. And I haven't felt all weirded out. I'm thinking the fenugreek has been particularly helpful in keeping my nose running instead of blocked up. Also, I've tried to jump on it the minute I feel the least little bit of a sinus headache or get any other kind of cold (they always turn into a sinus issue). Hitting it before the infection has a chance to get really roaring seems to work best.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.
J

PS - about the raw garlic...was never sure how to get that down. Lately I've taken to cutting up a clove into small pieces and swallowing them like pills.
#3 of 3 Old 04-05-2005, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info Nelybel. I think I'm getting better, though right now I actually have a bad pain on the outside of my face, above my brow. It feels like (and could be) a bruise from dd bonking into me all the time, but it's definitely in the same spot as a lot of my sinus pain, so I'm wondering if it's connected somehow.

Things have dried out here (rain wise) so I think the mold population was not making me feel any better. Hopefully this will clear up before there's too much pollen in the air. I'm not particularly pollen sensitive, but I do seem to be affected by that more and more each year. The high pollution here doesn't help either.

I added the echinacea to my regime, and am eating a fair amount of yogurt. I need to look into other probiotics, but I'd rather get them from food than supplements when possible, so I'll be asking about that at the health food store when I go. I also don't have fernugreek or olive leaf, so I'll be looking into those too. I am amazed at how the garlic pieces help drain my sinus. It works fast! The only blessing is that I'm so stuffed up that it's relatively painless/tasteless to eat the raw garlic.

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page