The Pill. Have you taken it? Why, why not? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-11-2002, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A doctor I saw *last* week (as opposed to the moron I posted about in TAO today) recommended I start on the pill to eliminate pain I have from an ovarian cyst. It gets pretty bad one week a month.

But I don't know. I don't like taking drugs. I get the creeps thinking of fooling my body with hormones like this. I feel like it could do something terrible to me without my knowing it.

Have you taken it? Have you loved it? Have you hated it? Have you considered the pill but decided not to take it? I want to here all of your Pill stories!!!!

Heartmama

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#2 of 17 Old 10-11-2002, 06:39 PM

I started taking the pill at 18 years of age and started suffering from REALLY BAD migraines. I was taking a very low dose combination pill, the one they advertise as helping your acne too. I stopped taking it for a year and then tried again, still headaches. I then took a non-combination pill after giving birth, the kind they give you that is only supposed to work if you are breastfeeding too, and got the headaches with that one too. No pill for me ever again! Sorry to hear about your ovarian pain. I hope you find something to alleviate the monthly pain!
The pill works for some, but in my opinion, I think it sucks and I will not take any form of hormone altering drug! Good Luck!

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#3 of 17 Old 10-11-2002, 06:53 PM

I was on two different kinds of birth controls pills, and like Brandi I had really bad headaches. On the second kind I was on I also felt nauseous and tired for two weeks every cycle.
But all my friends are on them, and have been for some time with no problems. It might be worth it for you to try if you are in a lot of pain and if nothing else seems to be working.
#4 of 17 Old 10-11-2002, 06:54 PM

I'm with you, heartmama. I took it for two months when I was 20, and one month when I was 33. Both times I was quickly reminded it wasn't for me.
#5 of 17 Old 10-11-2002, 08:20 PM

there are so many choices out there as for strength and combinations, and everyone is so different, that the pill works differently for everyone.

I went on it 8 years ago, with very little problem. At the end of my first year, we switched to a different brand to ease some headaches I got, but that was it. The new brand worked wonders for me.

However, I'm not comfy with the hormones either. it was the best option at the time and I don't regret it. however, after this baby is born, I'll be considering alternatives I think.
#6 of 17 Old 10-11-2002, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was on the Pill for a couple of years back in my mid-twenties. I stopped it for good because my blood pressure was creeping up each annual check-up and because of the whopper migraine I got one day. I actually lost part of my field of vision, in the middle, and that was Scary!

And no I don't smoke, which is the big risk factor for stroke while on the Pill, never did, never will, never will take hormonal bc again either. the occasional tension headache is bad enough for me.

"What will you do once you know?"
#7 of 17 Old 10-11-2002, 10:45 PM

i started taking it 18 because i had severe pain with my periods along with nausea. i took it for oh i don't know 2 years then switched to depo, which was friggin' horrible, then back to the pill and then when my hubby and i knew it was going to be just us forever, switched to condoms.
i guess i had a pretty positive experience with the pill, though if i could go back i would not use it. we have a family history of blood clots as well as depression and neither one benefits from excess hormones, KWIM?
there really are an unbelievable number of pill formulations out there, but so many women just ask for the ones they see ads for, instead of trying to figure out which one might be best for them.
tough decision for you huh? i imagine menopause will be like that too -- take the hormones and feel like a human and also risk death, or don't take them but have your vagina dry up and your internal thermostat break and your bones go brittle. gee....
#8 of 17 Old 10-11-2002, 11:08 PM

i agree that my body doesn't need any outside "help" from hormones. but i was on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen for a few months. Then I found out i was pregnant! For your situation, it wouldn't be for contraception which is great because they sure didn't work for me! maybe i'm that .0001%...

I used to have very bad pain that was once diagnosed as cysts. (it was also diagnosed as an std, ectopic pregnancy, you name it...) it never went away, not until i dramatically changed my lifestyle. i started ensuring 10 hrs sleep for myself (obviously pre-baby) and eating well. i really think what cured it, though, was accepting it. i wonder if it will ever come back.

anyway, i would see an herbalist and a homeopath before i took the pills to "fix" it. it can be quite expensive, but so can the side effects of the Pill.

wish you well! tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#9 of 17 Old 10-11-2002, 11:21 PM

I have taken it for several years and it did take a lot of trial and error to find one that works for me without mood swings, weight gain or acne. But once I found it, I stayed on it for 10 years. They do say that being on the Pill will decrease your chances of Ovarian Cancer.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#10 of 17 Old 10-11-2002, 11:31 PM

Unfortunately, the pill increases your risk of breast cancer.

I get cysts in my legs from every single pill I ever tried which they are afraid are blood clots I guess, so I can't take them. Contraception is great for those who need it, and I refuse as a feminist to knock it, however, my body only likes it's own hormones.
Love to all the mammas,
lauren
#11 of 17 Old 10-15-2002, 02:59 PM

Heartmama,

sorry to hear abt your situation. ((HUGS))
What exactly is it abt the pill that helps with the ovarian pain? The hormones? Can you do it in an alternative form?

I started taking the pill when I was 25, for abt 3 years, then I stopped when we wanted to get pregnant. Did not want to go back again. also caused migraines, and also, I started to read more, and did not want artifical hormones in my body! There are other methods of BC and I wanted to stop abusing my body.
However, if ou are taking it not for BC and for other reasons, it might be another story. You cld try to go for the lowest dosage possible.
Good Luck!
#12 of 17 Old 10-17-2002, 11:17 AM

i was on ortho-tri-cyclen for 2 years.
i was nauseous on and off for about the first 2 months, but otherwise did not seem to have any major side effects.
after 2 years i decided it was enough, went off it 11 months ago and only had 1 period since then after i took some herbs. i did a ton of bloodwork, and all my hormone levels come out perfect as well as thyroid. docs have no explanation! they say that sometimes it just happens, but i firmly believe that it is the pill that messed my body up. it was not unusual for me to have irregular periods when i was very stressed before, but it's not the same as not having them at all!
i also have a girlfriend who has migraines and moodines from the pills.
at the same time i also know that other women take them with little side effects. every body is different and i don't think there's a way to really predict how you will feel. may be you can see a homeopath or naturapath or chinese medicine practitioner to see if they can help. if not, pills might be worth a shot for you (if you are confident they are the right treatment for your condition), again, since there's no way to predict if you will have side effects or not.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#13 of 17 Old 10-17-2002, 01:54 PM

heartmama: are they talking about you taking this long-term? I had nasty pain from ovarian cysts years ago--like early 90s--and the doc had me take Provera (not the depo-provera, but a pill) for 3 months. then we did another ultrasound at mid-cycle to cheak and it was gone, and I never had a recurrence.
this doc, suggested by my sisters, was REALLY pro-life and wouldn't have prescribed it as birth control, so maybe that's why her mindset was to see if messing with the hormones a little worked.
Anyway, I never used the pill because I always felt that taking a chance on all the health complications for the opportunity to have sex on the few days a month I would otherwise be fertile wasn't worth it. I had a diaphragm, but gladly put it away cause Joe (DH) was so responsbile about condoms. Then it turned out we weren't really so fertile. When Joe says "when I think of all the money I wasted on condoms..." I think of how much we saved not wasting it on unneeded BC!
#14 of 17 Old 10-17-2002, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've never had regular, natural periods for >5 months in a row. I started seeing doctors about this when I was 16, and most of them suggested the Pill, but my mom and I didn't like the idea--aside from the risks, they were thinking they'd "fix" this problem by making my body fake-menstruate, instead of finding out what was wrong. (Still don't know what's wrong. It's not PCO.)

When I was 25, I finally gave in and tried the Pill. I took Tri-Cyclen and within 5 days was so queasy and exhausted I could hardly get out of bed. (Luckily, I was unemployed!) I didn't throw up but felt like I was on the verge, all day long, for all 3 weeks of active pills. During placebo week I felt better in that regard, but my period was the opposite of what it's supposed to be on the Pill: heavy flow and WORST CRAMPS EVER and terrible bitchy mood. Oh, and during the active pills I was a mushbrain always crying over sappy TV commercials and such, and I was very passive and would do anything for anyone and never stand up for myself if they were asking too much but instead cry over letting them down because I didn't have enough energy to do it. Dr. said the side effects would get better w/time, but they got worse.

"Well, you just need a different formula," said the dr. after 3 cycles. "Maybe you're too thin for this dose." (Dr. was overweight and claimed my being slightly underweight was the cause of every problem. I was at this point thinner than when I'd started, due to being unable to eat anything but salsa on many days because all other foods were repulsive.) She put me on Mircette, starting active pills immediately after the active Tri-Cyclen without a placebo week, and said I wouldn't bleed until the end of the first Mircette cycle. I started bleeding on the second day and continued for 37 days before she finally put me on an estrogen patch. The nausea was less, except during the SKULL-CRUSHING MIGRAINES! I stuck it out for 7 miserable weeks, but two 36-hour puking migraines in a week were more than I could take.

I think some of us are meant for the Pill and some are not. I am NOT!!!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#15 of 17 Old 10-18-2002, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by veganmamma
Unfortunately, the pill increases your risk of breast cancer.

Actually, there was a study recently that looked at *all* the studies on the pill and breast cancer and determined that the pill does not, in fact, increase the risk of breast cancer. As I'd been on the pill for more than 10 years at that point, I was very happy to hear it!

My experience with the pill was generally good, especially when I started taking a brand that continues the estrogen throughout the cycle in order to help prevent migraines associated with a drop in estrogen levels. In fact, I got way more migraines off the pill when I was pregnant than I ever did on the pill! But every body is different and will have different reactions.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#16 of 17 Old 10-18-2002, 11:59 AM

I've tried different versions of the pill at various times in my life. I gain about 10 pounds each time (which I don't care about all that much) and I get extremely moody. I mean I turn into a B****! This last time I also got a really nasty, hard to kill yeast infection.

I have a friend who's been on it for years to help with cysts and she has had no effects at all, other than it preventing the cysts and the pain that goes with them.

Maybe just try it out for a few months and see.

The Nuvaring and the new IUD also prevent ovulation but don't put so much hormones into your body, so maybe that would be something to condider as well.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#17 of 17 Old 10-20-2002, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well, this is a belated thank you to everyone for your replies!

They definitely scared the crap outta' me, and I don't think I want to take the pill long term. I am within 7 pounds of my weight loss goal and don't think it would be good to start it now, since the weight gain would be untimely and discouraging. Once I am at my target weight, it would be easier to "mess around" with something like this.

I really hate the idea of tricking my body with hormones. On the other hand, between period cramps (I have pretty bad periods) and now cramps during ovulation, I am having cramps 2 weeks out of 4 every month. I feel like I should be able to "solve" this problem naturally, but it seems like the remedies I find are lame and not very radical.

Still searching for answers...

Heartmama

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page