When af returned..what was it like??..graphic but I have to ask.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-15-2002, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My af came back right away...I'm not sure why...I was/am bfing every 2 hours or less.

This is a little graphic.....but I have to ask.....
Beside the point. Mine are really really heavy and last 7 days or more. Plus there are lots of lots. Yesterday I had some the size of halfdollars. They just drip everywhere...even past a tampon. Is that normal? The first one was like that..the second and third not as bad but the 4th is horrible!!!

They used to be 2 or 3 days and light

What was yours like? Should I call my obgyn and ask. I no longer have insurance...and dh and I are both unemployed so we have no money to pay for a visit....I'm looking for advice on what this could be!!

Thanks ladies!!!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#2 of 6 Old 10-15-2002, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I have no post-partum experience, but I wanted to suggest the Keeper menstrual cup to minimize clot problems. It discourages clot formation in the first place and catches them when they do happen. Also, when used to replace tampons, it generally will make your period last a shorter time, because it creates a (very mild) suction instead of blocking the flow. It's great for heavy flow because it holds a LOT. Check it out!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#3 of 6 Old 10-15-2002, 01:48 PM
Kim

Mine came back right away, too, despite exclusively breastfeeding. Some of us are just lucky I guess. :

My first 3-4 periods post-partum were very heavy and included lots of cramps. Yes, they even lasted longer than one week. I think they are slowly regulating again.

Is your son bf-ing any more/less than usual due to a growth spurt? I've often wondered if this would affect the menstrual cycle.
#4 of 6 Old 10-15-2002, 04:26 PM

Mine returned right away and was lighter at first, and normal by the third or fourth or so. Is there a white dove clinic near you? Do they even have them anymore? Maybe since the drive to get insurance for everyone they got rid of the volunteer clinics. In your state do they provide insurance for mothers and babies.
I am sorry I could not be more help, but it doesn't sound good to me and I wish you could get some care.
I am still not able to use tampons though.
#5 of 6 Old 10-17-2002, 08:40 PM

Mine didn't come back right away... somewhere around eight months or so (of course, I had lovely PP bleeding for over 3 months : ).

Anyway, I seem to recall the very first being rather light, short and pain free. I am quite certain that it was NOT preceded by ovulation. The next was so heavy and so drawn out I was starting to get a little scared for the loss of blood. Each after has been slightly less heavy and the last one (marking one year of return), was on a par with what I used to experience before pg... nice however, that the cramps are still minimal which is definitely NOT what I used to have before getting pg--a nice plus and I hope they never come back!

I got some advice on the matter as well and was reassured that this is a common experience among woman pp. That each subsequent has become less heavy has been a relief as well--I was starting to gather and save all the feminine protection coupons I could lay my hands on!

Em

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#6 of 6 Old 10-20-2002, 01:18 AM

Megan, I can't really help you with your problem with the clots and all, although it sounds a bit unusual. But I wanted to give you a couple of suggestions of where to go for care if you decide you need it. Your county should have some sort of health dept. Ours in AR is not like a free clinic where you can go for anything, but they care for pregnancy and vaccinate. I would think that your condition would qualify as preg-related, and you'd qualify since you're not making $$. Anyway, another GREAT resource is Certified Nurse Midwives--RNs with extra training in preg, etc. They are much cheaper and also are just so understanding. Check it out. You can go to www.midwife.org and search for one near you. Another option is I can ask my aunt who is a nurse and teaches about preg, etc. At least to ask if it's something to be concerned about. Or you could call the nurse at the doctor's office you went to for prenatals. She could tell you if it's a concern. I know that people usually want to help if they can. Another option! Good luck.

PS What does "af" stand for? I feel like a dope, but I can't figure it out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page