looking for effects of two antibio on foetus, can you help me? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-15-2002, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I had a kidney infection during my last pregnancy and now (5 years later) I wonder if the medication could have affect my son even if the doctors then said "no way". (if not, why did they insist that I have an ultrasound to see if the baby was developping well at the end of my hospitalization??)

I was given Rocephin (ceftriaxone) 1g IV and then Keflex (cephalosporin) 250mg 4x/day. I also received some shots of Demerol to kill the pain. (had one more shot of Demerol during labor)

This took place in June and I gave birth at the end of August.

My son is sensitive to sugar and additives(food coloring and flavoring). He will trow fits of anger when eating those and get a runny nose... He also cought a lot, usually in the middle of the night...

I have been told that sensitivity to chemicals and night's cought could be related to the liver... Could my medication have affect his liver?? Can we "clean" it??? We are seing an osteopathe who have help DS in many ways and I have called to get an appointment with an homeopath but I would like to get there with some knowledge.

Thank you for any pieces of info I can get

Valérie   
#2 of 6 Old 10-16-2002, 11:54 AM

Salut, Valerie
I live close to you! I'm in Old Chelsea... Regarding the abx you were given in pregnancy, those particular ones are all safe for a baby in utero. I suspect the ultrasound was done to make sure your baby's growth was normal (a pretty routine thing if your pregnancy has been threatened by a severe infection) and also probably to confirm that you were not in preterm labour (by measuring the length of your cervix by ultrasound). A urinary tract infection that has ascended to the kidneys can pose a threat to the baby as it has a significant chance of causing preterm labour, which then can end in preterm birth. THAT, and not the antibiotics, would have been the riskiest thing for your son. I am a midwife - that is where my information is coming from BUT I AM NOT GIVING ADVICE - but if this is a big concern for you I urge you to talk to your family doctor...
I wish you and your son good health
Cheers,
Kim
#3 of 6 Old 10-16-2002, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Kim!

We saw the homeopath this morning (he had a cancelation) and the troubles we encounter are all liver related so we'll try a treatment and see if it gets better Maybe it's not related to the antibios I took during pregnancy, will never know exactly what is the cause, but I am curious to see if there is not a dark side to those antibio as it is for vaccination...

About talking to our doctor... she will probably dismiss all my concern or will prescrib something like ritalin and cortison sirup : This situation is better take care by someone more holistic

I'm curious Where are you practicing? At La Maison des Naissances or in Ottawa??

Valérie   
#4 of 6 Old 10-19-2002, 11:55 PM

Valerie,
The expert to consult on the effects of medications on infants in pregnancy and in breastfeeding is Dr. Thomas Hale. He is well known and has put out a book called "Medications and Mother's Milk" (which also gives info on how a medication will affect the baby in utero). I have the 2002 updated book and I looked up the antibiotics you listed and they are both in a risk category of "B" which means that "animal studies have not demonstrated a fetal risk, but there are no controlled studies in pregnant women OR animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect that was not confirmed in controlled studies in women in their first trimester (and there is no evidence of a risk in later trimesters)". I quoted this directly from his book. TO give you an idea of other medications in a category "B".... Tylenol would be a good example, as well as Zantac for the heartburn in pregnancy that many women get. Many doctors give women the go ahead to take these medications if they need to.

What I would be concerned about is that perhaps your usage of the antibiotics affected the good bacteria/flora in his system and caused an imbalance of the beneficial bacteria in his little system to some extent... and this can most definitely lead to food allergies.
The good thing is that you can totally correct this by giving your son a probiotic supplement. Email me if you want more info. I'd be glad to help: asilrojam@hotmail.com
#5 of 6 Old 10-20-2002, 01:16 AM

I didn't fully read all the replies, but I do know that antiobiotics in neonates can cause discoloration of the teeth, and I am wondering if your child's nightime cough could be reactive airway disease. My dd has RAD and I didn't even realize that coughing could be a sign of an asthma attack until she was diagnosed.
#6 of 6 Old 10-20-2002, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What I would be concerned about is that perhaps your usage of the antibiotics affected the good bacteria/flora in his system and caused an imbalance of the beneficial bacteria in his little system to some extent... and this can most definitely lead to food allergies.
DS had a big case of Candida when he was 1 month old and it last four months before his system was cleared (big bloody rash on his bum all that time) I took probiotics while BF and gave it directly to him when he began eating solid (8 months old) and each time he took antibio after that.

About RAD... I don't know... I already ask the doctors (our current doctor and our former pediatrician) about it and they say that it's not the case with us... But his respiratory system is definitly a weak part. He use to have laryngitis every time he got a cold... with that particular cough that bring us many times in ER where they gave him cortison and oxigen... Last year he got a pneumonia...

We began homeo wednesday... Runny nose and coughing where really bad last night... I'm giving him vitamin and echinacea with propolis until his "cold" is gone...

I really hope that that homeo treatment will help 'cause I'm more sleep deprive than I ever was as a new mom

Valérie   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page