i've got my first yeast infection + anti-yeast diet question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-16-2002, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there's a first time for everything and it seems like i've got my first yeast infection ever.
i've been going through rough times lately - too much work and too many emotional struggles. i think that is to blame.
i was not sure if it is yeast or bacterial, but i've emailed one of the local midwives and she said that even though i do not seem to be having a typical yeast discharge, it still sounds like yeast. *doh*
so i went to whole foods yesterday and bought: garlic, gse in liquid form, megadophilus for oral + vag. use. i am also started taking vit c 3 times a day. is that enough???
the problem with gse, is that i cannot stomach it (in liquid form). i am extremely sensitive to tastes. i dissolved 10 drops in a whole cup of water and i almost threw up (sorry to be too graphics, but i could already feel everything up in my throat. i managed to spit it all out and drink some plain water, but the gag reflex stayed with me until teh end of the day!!!)
i already have these vaginal acidophilus pills. should they help or is garlic cloves inserted vaginally better???
about the garlic cloves - on midwives archives they say to cut a clove in half and do not mention wrapping it in anything. is it gonna burn the tissues?
and the last (for now) question is about the anti-yeast diet. i did a search on google and a lot of info seems to be pretty conflicting as far as what foods are ok and what foos are a no-no.
some say the whole grains are ok, others say to exclude all grains. some say exclude all nuts, others say that only certian kinds. etc.
what are your guidelines for a yest-fighting diet? what can i and what can't i eat???
please help - i am too confused.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#2 of 7 Old 10-16-2002, 12:05 PM

I had intestinal troubles from yeast about ten years ago--The Yeast Connection is a great resource. I would look things up for you, but unfortunately, I gave my copy away. Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 10-18-2002, 03:15 PM

you can try taking a clove of peeled garlic and wrap it in gauze and insert it like a tampon.
#4 of 7 Old 10-18-2002, 05:55 PM

Hi!

I am sooo sorry you have a yeast infection. I got my first one after my wisdom teeth were removed and I was taking an antibiotic to stave off infection. I wish someone would have told me about the possibility of yeast imbalance and thus infection at the time, as I was clueless. I then had recurrent YI for the next year. I tried Diflucan from my doctor. It worked for a few months, but the potential side effects are nasty. ( i don;t recommend it) The only thing I found that worked as cutting out dairy and sugar, including fruit, as well as yeast products (yeast is in almost everything I ate when I looked at the labels!) I got this from the book already mentioned, "The Yeast Connection". There is also a "Yeast Connection Cookbook" which was helpful. Aside from being very, very cranky for the first few days of no sugar, this did the trick for me. After a few weeks, I added dairy and fruits back in a little at a time, and the YI did not return. I ate plain, organic yogurt, took acidophilus, and stepped up garlic intake a bit. I also used the yogurt internally (let warm to room temperature first ) My yeast infections returned during my first pregnancy, which my CNM said was normal, and it took awhile to get over them, but I did.

Good luck!
#5 of 7 Old 10-19-2002, 06:08 AM

sorry to hear about the yeast infection.
I have been dealing with a recurent yeast infection since july durring my pregnancy, so I have some advice about the garlic and diet.
Diet: basically you can eat green veggies(except peas) and meat. fish and chicken are the best from what my herbalist told me. No dairy, carbs (including beans), or sweets at all!!!!!. You can have almond butter but from what my naturopath said no peanut butter cuase of mold on the peanuts. Also no vinegar. this diet REALLY sucks but when you stick to it it does work. also you only need to stick to it for about a week then add in some of the offending foods.
Garlic: Add a whole bunch to your diet. I was told to not cut or ding it before inserting because it could aggrivate the tissues. Bascialy do what cobluegirl said. The garlic will kill the good bacteria too I think so put the megadopholis in after youve taken the garlic out.
Also you may want to make a wash out of tea tree oil for external itchies. Make sure it's dilute!
#6 of 7 Old 10-19-2002, 11:35 AM
Banned

please read my post about grapefruit seed extract in "talk amongst ourselves board. "
It will kill the good bacteria and the bad.
You need a healthy balance.
I suggest olive leaf extract.
#7 of 7 Old 10-19-2002, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everybody for great responses!

here is what i am doing:
vit. c 3 times a day
garlic supplement 2 times a day
magadophilus orally + vaginally every night.

as you have all written here - no sugar, carbs, dairy. it's only been 4 day and it seems to be working great! the irritation was gone by the second day. teh amount of discharge is signifinantly decreased and part of wha ti am having is teh actual megadophilus pill leaking out rather then teh dischatge of the infection.
i had to go to a party yesterday and have to go to one tomorrow, so there's no way out for me and it's hard to resist everything. so yesterday i upped my megadophilus and tried to only eat a little of the "no-no" foods. it does not seem to be worse today. yei!

i hope this would be all i need, but since i am cheating these 2 days i will stick to this program for at least one more week. i'll see how i'll be feeling then.

snailmama,
tthanks for the info on gse. i could not take it anyway, and am sticking to megadophilus vaginally for now. if that will not work, i'll be trying garlic and then may be tea trea oil washes.

i am pretty much eating meat/fish and veggies all the time. scrambled eggs in the morning (but i can't eat them every morning!). the diet definitely sucks, but i am determined to stick to it for at least 2 weeks total (-2 days of me cheating slightly) and hopefully it will do the trick for me.

does my plan sound ok?

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page