Old Wives Tale? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-17-2002, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always heard that if you have white in your finger nails, that it means a lack of calcium. Is this true? My 6 month DD has a little white in one of her nails. She has a DR appt tonight and I don't want to look like a freak when I ask him that question.

Also, she has been congested (no other symptoms) for the past 3 weeks. Is this a reason to hold off on 6 month vaccinations?

Does anyone here do anything as far as the symptoms from the vaccinations (i.e. Do you give tylenol beforehand?)

Thanks,
momof1baby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-17-2002, 06:15 PM

i do not know about the nail/calcium ?

When we vaccinated the kids,I used Vit C & echinacea for 3 days before & 3-5 days after the shot-homeopathic remedies -thuja & ledum pal right after & rescue remedy right before the shot.

According to the Dr -no-a mild illness is no reason to not vaccinate-maybe an ear infection would be OK with some Drs & not with others.
You could go & say no to the vaccine & then reschedule the appt or call & reschedule now.

::
momma to 4
#3 of 12 Old 10-18-2002, 03:25 AM

About the nail thing: I've always heard that white specks in your nails mean you're not getting enough vegetables. Maybe a lack of B vitamins? I got them when I was in my first trimester and could swallow NO vegetables. I started taking a brewer's yeast suppliment and they went away.

HTH a little, maybe?
#4 of 12 Old 10-18-2002, 03:32 AM

This site says it's a zinc deficiency--which is what I've always heard:

http://www.naturalhealthnotebook.com...nger_Nails.htm
#5 of 12 Old 10-18-2002, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!

She gets both breats milk and formula, so I'm not sure how she could be lacking anything, but hopefully now that I am taking a multivitamin everyday, she will get everything she needs.

I gave her some tylenol before the shots and as of this morning, there was no sign of fever, so far so good. Vaccinations make me nervous. I made them check to make sure all the shots were thimerasol free. The only one that isn't is their Hep B shot which she isn't due for yet anyway, they said I could call the department of health and they would have it

Thanks again,
Vanessa
#6 of 12 Old 10-18-2002, 12:41 PM

White spots on the nails can also simply be signs of trauma to the nail. Since she's nursing and obviously getting all the nutrients she needs, I'd just keep my eye on her fingers for a while and see if she gets any others.
#7 of 12 Old 10-18-2002, 12:53 PM

momof1baby,

My son has a white spot on his nail too. I do think it may have been caused due to trauma - he closed a cabinet door on his thumb. I have also heard of the old wives tale...

Just a note regarding tylenol before vaccinations. Why do you give your babe tylenol before the vaccination? If you do that, you will mask any adverse reactions that your child may have to the vaccination. KWIM? Just a thought!

~Laura
#8 of 12 Old 10-18-2002, 09:26 PM

As far as the vaxes go....it is usually not a good idea to give tylenol before because they can mask reactions. You might check out the vax forum here. We have a thread right now on tylenol and some of its problems.
#9 of 12 Old 10-20-2002, 03:19 AM

I learned in nail tech class in high school that the white specs are injuries to the nail itself. When your nail bed is injured in some way it changes the formation of the nail as it's growing and comes out white (or your nail ridges are changed or any number of things). I think there are other ways to check for calcium deficiency--basically check the diet! Anyway HTH! Emily
#10 of 12 Old 10-21-2002, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I will watch for any more trauma, the doc wasn't concerned about her diet at all, so I guess she must have hurt her finger somehow.

I had heard someone else say that she gives tylenol before vaxes. Last time Katie had the DTaP, she had a low grade fever for a couple days and was just generally fussy, but none of the symptoms that they talk about on the VIS. She didn't cry non-stop or anything, she just had a little trouble sleeping and stuff like that. I guess I was just hoping that I could avoid some of that and help her feel better. I only gave her one dose and I'm sure that wore off after a few hours. She never got a fever with these shots, thank goodness.

I will check out that thread, Thanks!
#11 of 12 Old 10-21-2002, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

I can't find the thread with the tylenol, anyone know the link?
#12 of 12 Old 10-21-2002, 12:33 PM

sorry should have posted this with my earlier post...

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=26576

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page