Post nasal drip/choking cough - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-20-2002, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 27 month old ds who has had 2 back to back colds (one lasted 10 days and then a few days later a second one came on and it is still "lingering" maybe 11 days or so). He is not sick, he never was "sick". He never had fever. Both times his snot was clear and remains clear. He does not have chest congestions. The second cold had PROFUSE nasal discharge it was just running like a faucet for the first few days and then intermittently and especially when active/playing outside. This 2nd cold also brought a 2 day diarrhea and terrible diaper rash both of which are gone.

Anyway, the issue is this. With this 2nd cold, he has an issue with post nasal drip at night that causes coughing that keeps him awake/interrupts his sleep - I did for a few nights give him a decongestant before bed (3 nights) and when that would wear out, it was like he had rebound stuffiness at like 4 am and he would start with the coughing, and it was like his sinuses filled and he would have to be held/rocked etc upright (still sleeping) for about 40 minutes until his sinuses drained - you could hear him gagging, coughing, etc and it would eventually go away and he would sleep another few hours. I stopped with the decondgestant because I thought that was making it worse and now he is sleeping through until 7 am or so, but when he awakes he immediately has this 20-30 minute sinus drainage, choking (he is swallowing and swallowing the mucous) and he many times is gagging etc. I've tried steam from the shower and it doesn't seem to make the time of the "event" last shorter. I've been giving him "hot tea" of chamomile in the am to help warm and open his sinuses etc and today did some warm compresses to his sinuses and it seemed shorter today. He is happy as can be when it is am and he is wanting to run around and play but choking and coughing (woke up DH who was on a different floor today - it sounds terrible, like you would think whooping cough or something LOL). He has so much in his sinuses that if you depress his cheeks even lightly he starts choking so I know it is all sinus.

After he drains for the morning, that is it, no more coughing or anything even all day. So my question is, what can I do ? I was thinking humidifier but will that make him more wet and choky at night ? SOmebody suggested eucalyptus and something else in the humidifier. I will try anything. I don't know if anybody else has this issue (or had) we don't have a homeopath or anything. I am certainly not going to take him to the pedi for this and maybe I would consider if his snot was yellow or green but it is clear.

Any advice/sympathy is appreciated.
#2 of 6 Old 10-20-2002, 09:47 PM

I would try the humidifier.
Also, is there anyway to keep his head elevated while sleeping?
That always helps my Dd who has "sinus issues"

peggy
#3 of 6 Old 10-20-2002, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

I did go and get a warm mist humdifier tonight (I don't trust the old one its probably gross by now) and added some eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils to the water and we'll see how it goes. I do sleep him up on pillows but he is a skoocher when he is sleeping and even if you are holding him in your arms he tries to dive away and lay flat the little bugger. Hope this helps !
#4 of 6 Old 10-21-2002, 12:24 PM

In addition to the humidifier, you may want to try an expectorant during the day. Maybe you can speed up the expelling of all that yucky stuff from his system. I would normally be inclined to be more hands-off, but when he's been sick for this long, it's probably a good idea to try to get him over it so that his weakened immunity doesn't allow him to get anything worse. Good luck!
#5 of 6 Old 10-21-2002, 12:39 PM

Put cinder blocks or pieces of wood under the top legs of the bed - worked great for my little "skoochers". Also, Kettle Care (http://www.kettlecare.com) makes a great thing called Sinus Balm that comes in a lip balm type tube and you apply it to forhead, under nose, across cheeks, etc. It really helps clear those sinuses and allow free breathing. It is especially helpful at night. Good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 10-25-2002, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

I guess he just needed to be humidified because even tho he is still coughing in the morning it lasts MUCH less (maybe 6 minutes and not severe like it was). I put in 10 drops eucalyptus and 5 peppermint essential oils too, don't know if that did anything but it smells nice in there LOL.

I am against any drugs at this point because I think it is prolonging the agony and he is still with clear snot and no symptoms and I want his body to get rid of this on its own. It is jsut annoynig to listen to (and I am sure annoying for him to have to cough)

Thanks !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page