Blood test for anemia?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2001, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds just turned one (yesteday ) and at our last visit to the Dr a few weeks ago, the Dr. gave me the paperwork to go get a blood test done for anemia, if I wanted too. He explained that he didn't think that ds was at risk, but that some of his collegues do it routinely as anemia can lead to learning disablities if left undetected and untreated. He left it up to me to do my research and decide, but I don't really know where to start! Can anybody help out here? I definately don't wanna subject ds to any unecessary pricks, but also don't want to risk anemia being undetected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2001, 12:06 AM

We had that done at 9 mos. Seemed extremely simple and routine to me. Ds didn't really notice the tiny finger prick except to squawk for maybe a second in indignation.

I agreed to it since we're not feeding Gerber's jarred food and I wanted to make sure he was doing okay (: ) on our homemade food. And, indeed, he is.:cool:
Old 08-26-2002, 03:08 PM

My 3 year old has them done regularly as I have problems myself with low iron and we are vegetarian. The first time it was ME who asked for it, not the doctor, and I was right in that his levels are too low.

We both still have periods of low iron.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! I was surprised to see this old post pop up! Since the original post, quite a lot happened! But, to make a long story short, we did end up having the blood test, though our office had to do a needle stick in the arm b/c they needed enough of a smear to check red cell size and shape. BTW, I'm not medical, so forgive me if my medical reasoning is fuzzy! He WAS anemic at 15 months, so we followed the ped's advice with liquid supplements, which stained his teeth (if there is a next time, we'll not be using Fer-in-sol, but it seemed the most reliable way to get 25mg/day of iron into him at that age!), for a month and then a follow-up blood test. The follow up was fine, but I still have incorporated more iron rich foods into our diets and am cooking with cast iron. How often do you have the tests done? Are they able to do the finger prick test?
Old 08-27-2002, 11:36 AM

We do it every 6 months and then he is given iron for a month or so until the levels go up again (which means another finger prick test).

User Tag List