Evening primrose oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-24-2002, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if this is okay to take while nursing. I have EXTREMELY dry and itchy skin on my face and read in my health/healing book this was good for it. I'd probably be taking it for awhile if it seems to improve my situation. I've read about it in my Herb book and it didn't list any caution, except some possible side effects. Thanks for any input/info you all might have.

' Katie
#2 of 7 Old 10-24-2002, 10:19 PM

i only used it at the end of my pregnancy to help soften the cervix
#3 of 7 Old 10-25-2002, 10:46 AM

I haven't heard not to take it during nursing, only during pregnancy due to its effect on hormones. But I'm unclear if it would have a hormonal impact on a nursing child--which I would personally be concerned about.

I have heard of it being used for hyperactive children, though.
#4 of 7 Old 10-25-2002, 04:52 PM

In the books Superimmunity for Kids, Healing Ear Infections Naturally, and another that I forget the name of, they go into all of this discussion on EFA's (essentially fatty acids like Omega 3 and 6) and their effect on the immune system (they boost the immune system by acting on prostaglandins) and all 3 books suggest supplementing your baby/toddler/childs diet with EFA's if they are susceptible to illness, have dry skin etc and/or during times of stress and say like the winter months when everybody gets sick etc. Anyway I have been supplementing my 28 month old since he was about 15 months old with an Evening Primrose Oil and Flaxseed combination and not only has it helped it helped his skin too. MOral of the story it is safe to give directly to baby/toddler, the amount that would be excreted in your milk should be way beyond safe, KWIM ?

HTH
#5 of 7 Old 10-25-2002, 05:05 PM

Do you have a La Leche League Leader in your area you can call? They have been helpful to me when I need an answer on takng medications. Perhaps they may know..
#6 of 7 Old 10-26-2002, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everyone. I wondered about the hormonal impact on my babe but I think my hormones are out of whack and that is what is causing the dry skin. It started right after my first baby.
Zombiemommie - thAT'S GREAT TO KNOW SINCE DS HAS COME DOWN W/ HIS FIRST COLD AND HE'S ONLY 5 1/2 months. (Oops accidently hit the cap. lock button).

Ccm'smom - yes we do and I'll check w/ her.
#7 of 7 Old 10-27-2002, 07:11 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/herbs_e.html#eveningprimrose

I've been taking EPO for the last 7 months while nursing. I havent seen anything to indicate that it is unsafe and have found it to be very beneficial.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page