Going to my first yoga class...nervous - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-25-2002, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to a yoga class tomorrow, first time ever. I'm definitely not in great shape, but not totally sedentary either. Is it likely to be very challenging or can a beginner ease through it? It's Sivananda yoga if that makes any difference. Oh, and what do you wear for yoga? Regular work out clothes, or what?

Yikes, I am so clueless!
#2 of 6 Old 10-25-2002, 05:44 PM

Good luck! Sivananda is my school--and it's a great place for beginners. Loose, comfortable clothing is all you need .
#3 of 6 Old 10-26-2002, 10:13 AM

How did it go? I bet you felt great afterwards.

I was nervous before my first yoga class too. It was Iyengar Yoga and I didn't have a clue what to expect. At least the school's brochure told us what to wear: bare feet and comfortable, close fitting clothes. I prefer yoga pants and a fitted tee or tank.

I sure was sore after the first few classes! I had no idea that yoga required so much strength. Do your muscles ache?
#4 of 6 Old 10-26-2002, 10:49 AM

Yes, how are you feeling, Jill? Hope you enjoyed the awesome Sivananda final relaxation...
#5 of 6 Old 10-26-2002, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

It went really well! It was an "intro" class -- I went with a friend who has been doing yoga for a long time and she said it was more talk than there would be during a real class -- explaining philosophy, breathing, postures etc. One plus for me was it was all in French and I understood 95% of it. It's nice because they have evening classes so if I can get DH to come home early some nights I could go during the week.

And yes, I am going to be sore tomorrow.
#6 of 6 Old 10-27-2002, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I started with Bikram Yoga, the kind you do in a heated room. IT was hard, but I was loving it from the start! Its the perfect exercise for me. And I love the spirituality of it too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page