a question for those who use "the keeper"--a bit graphic! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-26-2002, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, I got my keeper, and i've used it for a few days now. I'm having trouble with leakage even after readjusting it. I also have a lot of trouble removing it. The insert says to gently squeeze the bottom of the cup to break the seal, but I can't seem to get the seal to break. So I end up dragging the whole thing out, all the while feeling intense pain from the suction. Bottom line--I think i have a big hickey on my cervix now...

I really want to make this work, so does anyone have suggestions? (I would call the manufacturers, but the only number I can find is the ordering line!)

Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 10-26-2002, 04:55 PM

Try bearing down a enough so the bottom of the cup above the stem is easier to reach. Squeeze, remove and dump contents.
Hope this helps.
#3 of 8 Old 10-26-2002, 05:03 PM

Yeah, bear down some, and maybe twist to break the seal as you tug slightly? Don't give up on it because you'rwe having leakage. I am not in my 6th cycle using it, and JUST NOW am I able to control the leakage. I'm so glad I didn't give up and sent it back, becasue it really is much nicer to use than other products.
#4 of 8 Old 10-26-2002, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

I know, it's so freeing isn't it, not to have to buy all the pads and stuff?! Thanks for the tips, and one other question--the stem keeps poking me when I sit down even though I trimmed it as they recommend. Can I just cut the stem off altogether?
#5 of 8 Old 10-26-2002, 08:45 PM

You can just trim the stem off altogether. The stem is to help you create the seal when you insert it, not to help you remove it.

If I don't break the seal properly when removing I get precisely the pain you described. It is a very common problem. As suiggested above the easiest way is to bear down whilst pinching the bottom of the bell. You could aslo try pinching the bell a little bit further up. I don't think squeezing it at the very bottom will break the seal effectively.

It does take practice. I have been using mine for 16 months now and very occasionally I make a mistake on inserting a get a little leakage. Don't give up!

I ***love*** the Keeper, it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I would hate to go back to pads and I never liked tampons.
#6 of 8 Old 10-26-2002, 08:56 PM

Yep, I had to cut the stem right off too! Everyone else wrote my suggestions, so I just wanted to say...keep trying! It took me 3 cycles to feel comfortable with it. Four years now of not buying tampons...saved myself 1440$ approx! And, barely any discomfort and a shorter period...u/k if associated, but that started about the same time I started with the keeper!

Peace,

Mamasoleil
#7 of 8 Old 10-27-2002, 05:06 AM

would someone kindly explain what this is? Is it safe? No pads or tampons sounds good...
#8 of 8 Old 10-27-2002, 08:14 AM

You can find all the information you need at www.keeper.com

Basically it is a menstrual cup, they come made of rubber and I think they are making them out of silicone now for those with latex allergies.

You insert them as you would a tampon but they are reusable as they collect the blood rather than absorb it which you can then pour down the toilet. You just give it a rinse and reinsert when you need to change it. They are easy to use and very comfortable and best of all they are supposed to last for about 10 years so you recoup the initial putlay very quickly. They come in two sizes one for women who have not had a vaginal delivery and one for those who have.

HTH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page