strep infection in the skin? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-26-2002, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Know anything about this? DD is 1, w. severe eczema. Apparently she picked it up since open eczema is more prone to infection. Her whole hand is covered with sores, blisters and pimples. It also spread to her eye, and now it's spreading more, I can see one blister on her lip and on her cheek, as well as spreding further away from her eye. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, but it's making me a nervous wreck. She's been to see the dermatologist, who took the culture and prescribed zythromax and some bactroban cream for the hand. After that, it spread to her eye and I brought her to the reg dr. (the derm. was on vacation by then.) the reg dr. prescribed an antibiotic ointment for her eye. She's taken 4 doses of a 5 day course and it seems not to be getting any better, but worse. The reg dr said that zythromax is effective for strep and to give it some time to work.

Has anyone else had this happen? Know any alternitive things I can do in addition to the meds? Or websites I can look at to find out more?

Thanks, and we could use some prayers over here, too if you wouldn't mind.
#2 of 3 Old 10-28-2002, 10:55 AM

Hi. My mom had a skin strep infection that ultimately required hospitalization! It's nasty stuff. I'm not trying to scare you, but having seen what she went through I would quickly seek a second opinion if you think the antibiotics aren't working. My mom definitely needed something stronger than zythromax. I'd hate for your precious babe to get worse just because your doctor didn't take you seriously! Please let us know how things are going. I'm thinking of you.
#3 of 3 Old 10-28-2002, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Rachel. Turns out the strep is a secondary infection and the main problem is herpes simplex. That's why the antibiotics weren't working. So now she's on an antiviral, too. Hopefully this does the trick. And, you didn't scare me, but the search I did on line sure did!!! wowwee, that really scared the crap out of me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page