The Eczema Tribe - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 504 Old 06-03-2006, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've read through page 8 of this thread and will continue to read. i wanted to tell my story and see if anyone has any comments/suggestions.

DD developed cradle cap around 3 months of age. her PED didn't really know how to treat it, gave her a shampoo (can't remember the name right now) but it didn't help and then she started developing this "rash" on her cheeks, chest and back. it got to a point where her cheeks started oozing. finally took her to a derm and he put her on Capex shampoo for her scalp and Hydrocortisone Valerate for her cheeks. of course it cleared right up but her cheeks are getting bad again. he didn't think it was eczema but i'm pretty sure it is.

she was given breastmilk for about 3 weeks, pumped, and was taking Enfamil Lipil with Iron. she is not vaccinated and WILL NOT be vaccinated. she was born by c-section and we refused the VitK and HepB shots as well.

i ordered that FreeDerm but not sure if i want to use it now after reading. i have california baby calendula cream but it doesn't seem to help. i've always used Free detergents since day one. that's what i use on mine and my husband's clothes.

DH or myself don't have any allergies to foods. Psoriasis runs on his side of the family. i get what i think is eczema only when the seasons change and it clears right up with Original Lubriderm.

i have another appt with a different Derm on Wednesday. i can't afford to go to an ND right now. i will make sure i tell the new Derm the entire history and refuse anything with steroids in it. i have switched her to Enfamil ProSobee to see if that will help. i will also see about the coconut oil in the meantime.

she doesn't have it real bad but enough for me to want to try and find the cause.

thanks for listening, back to reading.

Wuzzy
#302 of 504 Old 06-04-2006, 12:52 AM

My son just had a really bad flare up again : ( I think it's the water since it gets really bad right after a bath or shower.

I am subbing so I can read through this thread later. If it hasn't been asked already, does anyone know where I can get a fairly inexpensive filter for the showerhead or bath tap?

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#303 of 504 Old 06-04-2006, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericswifey27
My son just had a really bad flare up again : ( I think it's the water since it gets really bad right after a bath or shower.

I am subbing so I can read through this thread later. If it hasn't been asked already, does anyone know where I can get a fairly inexpensive filter for the showerhead or bath tap?
I got my Vitashower on Ebay. It came with tablets for the bath.
#304 of 504 Old 06-07-2006, 02:08 AM

I got our shower filter at the hfs....$40
#305 of 504 Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 AM

Haven't read all posts, but my DH has it BAD (with summer+stress?) and I wonder how long before DC has it...
#306 of 504 Old 06-09-2006, 06:54 PM

My ds has suffered from eczema since he was about 5 mo
We treat it with a steroid given by the ped and that keeps it under control. It seems to get worse with the weather, soaps that contain frag, cobalt, etc.
#307 of 504 Old 06-09-2006, 07:36 PM
EBG

Freederm is just a steroid, if you read the ingredients.
Have you tried to eliminate certain foods? Dairy is the number one culprit.
Is she formula fed? Being born by C-cection: she missed out on the good bacteria so she probably has some kind of yeast or bacterial overgrowth....
My DD had cradle cap and eczema on cheeks, elbows, knees, later on torso and shoulders. She still breaks out if she eats certain grains - I think it's the gluten, and also lactose because she can eat cheese and yogurt with no problem but not milk.
Have you tried giving probiotics, Natren's Life start is for babies.
As for lotions, we jsut use coconut oil plain or mixed with tea tree oil. You can also mix in lavender oil.
#308 of 504 Old 06-11-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWuzzy

DD developed cradle cap around 3 months of age. her PED didn't really know how to treat it, gave her a shampoo (can't remember the name right now) but it didn't help and then she started developing this "rash" on her cheeks, chest and back. it got to a point where her cheeks started oozing. finally took her to a derm and he put her on Capex shampoo for her scalp and Hydrocortisone Valerate for her cheeks. of course it cleared right up but her cheeks are getting bad again. he didn't think it was eczema but i'm pretty sure it is.

she was given breastmilk for about 3 weeks, pumped, and was taking Enfamil Lipil with Iron. she is not vaccinated and WILL NOT be vaccinated. she was born by c-section and we refused the VitK and HepB shots as well.

i ordered that FreeDerm but not sure if i want to use it now after reading. i have california baby calendula cream but it doesn't seem to help. i've always used Free detergents since day one. that's what i use on mine and my husband's clothes.

DH or myself don't have any allergies to foods. Psoriasis runs on his side of the family. i get what i think is eczema only when the seasons change and it clears right up with Original Lubriderm.

i have another appt with a different Derm on Wednesday. i can't afford to go to an ND right now. i will make sure i tell the new Derm the entire history and refuse anything with steroids in it. i have switched her to Enfamil ProSobee to see if that will help. i will also see about the coconut oil in the meantime.
I don't think you will find that the derms have anything to offer that isn't a drug with side effects. There are ointments for ezcema (Elidel and Protopic) sometimes prescribed that aren't hydrocortisone but have a possible link to cancer http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/h...view/index.htm

Even if you and dh don't have any apparent allergies, your baby could. All babies essentially have a "leaky gut"

These might be helpful articles for you:
http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/5-bf/43-formula.htm
http://www.massbfc.org/formula/bottle.html

Is there anyway you could reintroduce breastmilk? You could pump to restimulate your own production, or is there a milk bank near you? At least you should strat giving your baby probiotics-good bacteria for the digestive system-mix in the milk or just get a little powder on a damp finger and let baby suck.

By the way, almost all babies have cradle cap and it doesn't usually have to be treated. My dd still had cradle cap long after her eczema disappeared. Could the prescribed shampoo have caused the developing rash?

You want to make sure the rash isn't related to gluten intolerance:
http://dermnetnz.org/immune/dermatit...etiformis.html

We did resort to using Freederm on our dd-but I am sure it burned when applied-but it was the only thing that kept the eczema for worsening before I changed my diet, did NMT, and started using the Chinese Pearl Powder creme. We now just use Aubrey Organics Unscented lotion. It is creamy and very pure.
#309 of 504 Old 06-12-2006, 11:39 PM

See my new post in Allergies forum re: using probiotics for food allergies and eczema.
#310 of 504 Old 07-07-2006, 03:35 PM

From page 16!! :

#311 of 504 Old 07-09-2006, 09:06 PM

Hi I am new to this area... My dd is 7.5 yo and has suffered from chronic ezcema since she was about 2.5 yrs old... only steroid meds have helped... she has it bad behind her knee, on her arms, and really bad on her belly now which the dr says may be due to a nickel allergy...

we use elecom but she cannot have it more than 7 days everyday or up to 3 wks every couple of days cuz it causes thinning of the skin (which scares me).. we are going to start an elimination diet... but im still waiting on books... combined with this ezcema has been a 5lb weight loss.. so im really concerned her ezcema is yelling out for a different problem...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#312 of 504 Old 07-09-2006, 10:37 PM

If it is environmental, could you put a HEPA air filter in her room? We use one for our ds in the summer and make sure he gets CLO everyday to help his skin & immune system. Otherwise, there are some fantastic suggestions in this humongous thread.

Good luck!
#313 of 504 Old 07-10-2006, 10:54 AM

I have taken pics of her eczema... it doesnt look like any i have found on the net...

Arm (which is barely visible in the pic.. but she has alot of little bumps like little pricks)

Behind the knee

Stomach (which is supposed to be a possible nickle allergy)

I do not have a hepa filter in her room... i never thought environmental.. seeing as we have moved alot...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#314 of 504 Old 07-10-2006, 09:56 PM

i've read through page 8 of this thread and will continue to read. i wanted to tell my story and see if anyone has any comments/suggestions.

she doesn't have it real bad but enough for me to want to try and find the cause.

thanks for listening, back to reading.

Wuzzy

My daughter had/has the same issues and I switched her to goat’s milk at 3 months and she has been almost completely eczema free since. I have fought eczema for years myself and have ruined my skin with steroid creams they are awful in the long term. My daughter just turned a year 2 weeks ago she and her twin brother were born 6 weeks early at 4 & 5 lbs. Both are on goat’s milk and have never been sick and weight 22 & 26 lbs now. If you are unable to breast feed as I was due to medical issues I would encourage anyone to seek an alternative to commercial formula.
I hope you find what is causing the eczema, good luck.
Cindy
#315 of 504 Old 07-22-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia80
I have taken pics of her eczema... it doesnt look like any i have found on the net...

Arm (which is barely visible in the pic.. but she has alot of little bumps like little pricks)

Behind the knee

Stomach (which is supposed to be a possible nickle allergy)

I do not have a hepa filter in her room... i never thought environmental.. seeing as we have moved alot...
Have you looked at pics of Dermatitis Herpetiformis?
http://www.csaceliacs.org/dh_defined.php
#316 of 504 Old 07-23-2006, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You have to lubricate from the inside out as well. Omega fatty oils......cod liver oil... I give dd vit E.....

Somethng weird I noticed.......last week, dd had between 100=104.8 degree temp for almost 4 days. During this time her eczema appeared to diminish significantly.....now that she's better.....its coming back. ?

Im greatful I didnt vax dd at all....and was able to nurse her until 3yrs old. She didnt get eczema until a year and 1/2 after I weaned her.
#317 of 504 Old 07-27-2006, 12:01 PM

we are doing cod liver oil now.. and the steroid cream (have to use til my authorization for my insurance goes through) is only working a little.. Her tummy looks better but its not going away and her elbows are getting worse.. she has an appt with a dermatologist but thats not til dec.. altho i keep calling to see if there are any appt cancellations... she was in so much pain the other day she was crying.. we gauzed her stomach and put polysporin on since she scratched it open...

#318 of 504 Old 07-27-2006, 02:33 PM

owie..poor thing. coconut oil helps topically. that just makes me hurt. I hope you find some relief for her. What is she eating? have you tried to eliminate things in her diet? you can get "Is this your child" by Doris Rapp at the library. She walks you through an elimination diet and it is an easy read. I would just start by eliminating dairy, that is usually the first one to try..then wheat...
#319 of 504 Old 07-27-2006, 03:05 PM

How do you get your kids to eat cod liver oil and probiotics? Mine is not at all interested in smoothies or homemade popsicles. I tried slipping it into his soup but he was not having that either. He's in a super picky phase right now; lately I'm thrilled if I can get him to eat anything other than cheerios adn waffles. Ideas?
#320 of 504 Old 07-27-2006, 11:16 PM

unless your diet (or his sensitivities) prohibits it, i'd just mix it with honey. what about jell-o (or a vegetarian equivalent)? herbalist james duke uses that method to get his kids to take distasteful tinctures when they're sick. the only other thing i can thing of is to maybe mix it with powdered stevia (if he's off flour, otherwise you could just use flour and sweetener of choice). mix in proportions to make a play-doh-y paste and then give it to him in little balls. definitely a court of last resort pain-the-butt-wise, but maybe worth a try. post back with results if you try any of these, please.

are the probiotics you're using powder or liquid?
#321 of 504 Old 07-29-2006, 01:07 PM

ok how much Cod liver oil does one need?

on the bottle of dd's capsules it says take one capsule 3x daily... i wonder if she could just take all 3 at once or i have to split them up... i have been splitting them up over the day but that gets annoying and sometimes we will miss a dose...

i didn't even want to try to get dd to taste the tincture so i went straight for the capsules...

#322 of 504 Old 07-29-2006, 02:30 PM

I'm sure you said before, but why not take it in the liquid form? My kids love CLO from Nordic Naturals. I give ds (eczema) a full teaspoon w/breakfast everyday. He always has a "bite" ready to chase down the oil. But, seriously, it doesn't bother him at all.
#323 of 504 Old 07-29-2006, 02:35 PM

Just read the last page. Why are people referring to CLO as a tincture? I'm not familiar w/that form. It seems like it'd be much more concentrated? Honestly, the oil does NOT taste bad. We have the orange flavor & my kids have NEVER complained.

Maybe brands are different? I know Nordic Naturals are pricey but our dr. highly recommends it as the best.

Good luck!
#324 of 504 Old 07-29-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisia_vulgaris
unless your diet (or his sensitivities) prohibits it, i'd just mix it with honey. what about jell-o (or a vegetarian equivalent)? herbalist james duke uses that method to get his kids to take distasteful tinctures when they're sick. the only other thing i can thing of is to maybe mix it with powdered stevia (if he's off flour, otherwise you could just use flour and sweetener of choice). mix in proportions to make a play-doh-y paste and then give it to him in little balls. definitely a court of last resort pain-the-butt-wise, but maybe worth a try. post back with results if you try any of these, please.

are the probiotics you're using powder or liquid?
the probiotics are liquid. i will try honey and jello and report back. but he's never had honey or jello before and is in this phase of trying NO new things so i am not optimistic...
#325 of 504 Old 07-30-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy
Just read the last page. Why are people referring to CLO as a tincture? I'm not familiar w/that form. It seems like it'd be much more concentrated? Honestly, the oil does NOT taste bad. We have the orange flavor & my kids have NEVER complained.
sorry i didn't mean to confuse...i didn't mean that i'd read about tinctured CLO, only that i'd read about jell-o masking bad flavors like tinctures. and it wasn't james duke, it was james....i forget his name right now...if anyone wants to check out that herbal, PM me and I'll get off my duff and get the exact info...

guerillamama, i just reread your original post...if not honey, then what about CLO with maple syrup on those waffles....mmmmmmmm....if he's that picky, he'll probably be onto your game in a heartbeat, but for the price of one ruined waffle, maybe it's worth a shot?
#326 of 504 Old 07-30-2006, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisia_vulgaris
guerillamama, i just reread your original post...if not honey, then what about CLO with maple syrup on those waffles....mmmmmmmm....if he's that picky, he'll probably be onto your game in a heartbeat, but for the price of one ruined waffle, maybe it's worth a shot?
You are psychic! This is what I did this afternoon (can't believe I never thought of it before ) SUCCESS!! He ate 2 waffles with CLO/syrup, and 2 waffles with probiotic/syrup. I am so thrilled I can turn his waffle obsession into something healthy.
#327 of 504 Old 07-30-2006, 12:37 AM

I have eczema, I've had it (dx) since I was 11..........It gets worse in the heat,when i have a reaction to lotion etc, and when I'm stressed. I usually used a steriod cream on it, but since getting pregnant and having ds I haven't used anything.

I have noticed that in the past 3 days that I've been drinking soy instead of dairy, my eczema seems to be clearing up a little more.
#328 of 504 Old 07-30-2006, 03:08 PM

Hello mamas!

I've been searching this thread and may have missed something, so please forgive if this is a repeated question...

My 16mo dd has moderate eczema (diagnosed around 4 months) that is generally controlled by diet. We use a home made blend of olive oil and beeswax on her skin during the day, she plays/bathes in a warm bath soak without soap, and we wipe down after getting sweaty or playing outside. She seems to react poorly to dairy in her diet, though now that she is not exclusively breastfed I have been able to add some dairy back into my own diet (I really missed my yogurt) without causing her to flare.

I take flax and EPO daily and am hoping to add more flax oil directly to her diet. However, we are avoiding CLO since we have an extensive family history of extreme allergic reaction to fish and fish products (shell fish, fresh/salt water fish of all sorts, fish sauce, you name it). We also have severe allergies to walnuts (just walnuts, go figure).

If we can't use CLO or walnut oil, is there anything other than the Flax that you wise mamas would suggest for her to take directly? I did see one mention of borage oil, but is there anything else?

Thanks!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#329 of 504 Old 07-30-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillamama
He ate 2 waffles with CLO/syrup, and 2 waffles with probiotic/syrup. I am so thrilled I can turn his waffle obsession into something healthy.
Wow! I am totally impressed that it worked with probiotics. Good on ya! And score one more for creative problem-solving. Hopefully, he'll stay on the waffle kick for awhile before you have to stress it again. PBJ&CLO anyone?
#330 of 504 Old 08-01-2006, 02:55 AM

Hi, I'd like to join this tribe. My daughter is 7 weeks old and has excema all over her face, neck, torso, and limbs. It has been getting better, but wow was it bad at first because she had a combination of ex.cema and baby acne when she was about 2 weeks old. The dr. had us on cortisone and steriod creams. I finally got sick of her flaring back up the moment I stopped using the product and started searching for natural alternatives. Now I bath her in about a cup of oatmeal twice weekly. I let it get really pasty and let it soak into her skin. I has really taken away the redness and puffiness from her skin. I recently started using vaseline and that really helps to keep her skin smooth and soft..although she absorbs it so fast! I just bought some florasone yesterday so I will see how that works. I am hoping that it clears up her back and legs and arms some. I have also tried taking some flax seed oil and cod liver oil and I have slowed down a lot on dairy and that seems to be helping. I'm lactose intolerent, but I love cheese, cereal, and ice cream. Maybe I'll go back to drinking soy milk. Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone and I enjoy reading what is working for other mama out there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page