The Eczema Tribe - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 504 Old 08-21-2006, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be
Anyway, my naturopathic doctor (also my midwife) has me on sulfur (homeopathic) for the itching, but it is not helping at all.

I put Eucerin on them, but it just stings and makes it even itchier. I've tried calendula ointment and a homeopathic ointment for eczema with no luck. It's almost like the drier they are, the better.

But there has to be something else I can do. Can anyone help me?? TIA
Sulphur DID work for my ds but the dr told us to try it for 3 days and if no rxn, then to switch to Rhus Tox instead. Sulphur is great for ds as he's hot, red & sweaty. So, we've learned that if he has a flare-up, we give sulphur and it works w/in the day to break the "xxx" in his body. Then, we can treat the symptoms. (xxx= I really don't know what it is --sort of the systemic shock of the allergen rxn) So, maybe ask about Rhus Tox?

Allergist said NO eucerin for us as lanolin is bad for my ds.

And, here this may sound evil but if you're not at the weepy/open stage, go swimming in chlorine. Again, I can't explain it but it's like it totally cleans out any "xxx" (whatever) on his skin and lets it start over. I immediately afterwards (within 3 mins) slather on lots of cetaphil cream. We've also used calendula ointment and a salve by Wise Woman.
#362 of 504 Old 08-21-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
oh my...he might be allergic to coconut...what else did he eat? what kind of CO did you get?
I bought Spectrum unrefined organic coconut oil for skin and hair. I also bought castile saop for his baths. That has coconut oil in it also so I am going to stop that too.
#363 of 504 Old 08-21-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyToBe
Sulphur DID work for my ds but the dr told us to try it for 3 days and if no rxn, then to switch to Rhus Tox instead. Sulphur is great for ds as he's hot, red & sweaty. So, we've learned that if he has a flare-up, we give sulphur and it works w/in the day to break the "xxx" in his body. Then, we can treat the symptoms. (xxx= I really don't know what it is --sort of the systemic shock of the allergen rxn) So, maybe ask about Rhus Tox?

Allergist said NO eucerin for us as lanolin is bad for my ds.

And, here this may sound evil but if you're not at the weepy/open stage, go swimming in chlorine. Again, I can't explain it but it's like it totally cleans out any "xxx" (whatever) on his skin and lets it start over. I immediately afterwards (within 3 mins) slather on lots of cetaphil cream. We've also used calendula ointment and a salve by Wise Woman.
How interesting...I will ask about the Rhus Tox. I am in the middle of the weepy/open stage, accompanied by the REALLY dry, cracking stage and the stage where those new, itchy bumps are still surfacing. It's like 3 stages of eczema all at once It's really, really painful and I can't imagine how horrible it must be to have this all over your body as a child.

I tried the coconut oil too and it just made it worse. I am now trying just about ANY lotion we have left in the house to see what works. Currently I am trying Avon's Oatmeal lotion and it seems to be not making things worse and allows me to hydrate them before bed.

I just hope this goes away soon...

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#364 of 504 Old 08-21-2006, 11:31 PM

weird on the reactions to the coconut oil. try some borage.
chlorine really bothers dd's skin..I can't imagine what it would do if her skin was open...
#365 of 504 Old 08-21-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Oh and re: CLO and babe's livers...I've never heard this either. I'd love to know your ND's references for this.

I would think it depends on the age and whether they are producing enough bile. I wouldnt give it under 6 mos b/c I think bf should be absolutely exclusive** until at least then but DS started on it at 8 mos px'd by our ND.

**P.S. the only exception bifidus
Hi Jane!

Nolan is 8.5 months now and has started a few solids: squash, avocado, banana. Is it ok to start him on CLO? How much?

I was also going to get bioflavonoids for myself (quercitin, hesperidin, rutin, bromelain) Is this the best mix to get? What kind of dosages should I be looking for?
Thanks!

We create our own reality.
#366 of 504 Old 08-22-2006, 12:04 AM

Hi Everyone!
Let me make introductions- DS has had eczema since he was 4 months old. I have been doing SCD for about 2 months now and it has gotten worse. There are other things that have gotten better for both of us so I am sticking with it. He used to have a constant stuffy nose, spit up in large amounts and have 'wild' fits. I am currently cutting out dairy and eggs. I also do not eat any fruit or sugars- I am pretty sure we are dealing with yeast. He is BF and has started a few solids. He gets probiotics and vit C. I am taking CLO, CO, probiotics, vit C, and digestive enzymes. I want to add bioflavonoids and EPO next.

This whole process is frustrating. Healing is slow and all I want to do is take away his discomfort, NOW! It has been very helpful to read through the posts here and see all that you mommas have tried.

#367 of 504 Old 08-29-2006, 07:23 PM

Hi! Just wanted to say thank you for all the great suggestions in this thread. My brain hurts, but I feel like I have some tools for fixing our excema problem. My daughter and I both have it. The reasons behind it have always baffled me, but now it's all starting to make more sense.
Thanks again-

--Single mama, and future foster mama--::
#368 of 504 Old 08-29-2006, 07:41 PM

I just wanted to give a heads up, children with eczema are more prone to skin infections, like Staph for example. You need to be very careful with this because an antibiotic resistant strain of Staph is becoming very common and can be very dangerous to our little ones. My son developed this very same strain on staph, but luckily we caught it soon enough to be able to try different anitbiotics until we found one that worked, but I have seen some children on the news have this infection go to their heart and end up needed heart surgery!
#369 of 504 Old 08-29-2006, 09:06 PM
EBG

Sometimes I get staph too, due to eczema. the first time I got abx which didn't cure it and made my yeast issue worse so ever since then I just eat a bunch of raw garlic and rub it on the boils. It does the job and will not harm gut flora like abx.
For kids I'd try TTO topically and coconut oil in the diet.

How was the coconut allergy determined? I would think it's very rare and can be confused with die-off reactions.
#370 of 504 Old 08-29-2006, 09:16 PM

he hasn't had a coconut allergy determined, but when I used coconut oil on him his eczema got so bad, and thats when he got all the staph back.
#371 of 504 Old 08-30-2006, 06:36 AM

I guess I'll join in as well. My son just turned 3 and has what I think is eczema on his wrist, inner elbow, and the area where his ear lobe meets his face. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow where it will be confirmed hopefully. It started out in the ear area when he was around 2 1/2. I thought it was a sore that just wasn't healing. It just developed on his wrist and elbow in the last two months. I just took him off dairy a few days ago for the second time. He never had any skin problems at all in his first two years of life. He was breastfed until he self-weaned at 24 months and didn't start drinking cow's milk until then. I've started making him daily smoothies with 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil, 1 1300mg capsule of EPO, and a 1/2 tsp of CLO mixed in. I'm also giving him 1 tsp of powdered probiotics between meals. I just started all of this in the past few days so I haven't seen any difference yet-- hopefully in the next few weeks. I've been giving him daily oatmeal baths and slathering him with shea butter afterwards and I've been putting EPO and Florasone on the actual patches. The Florasone helped a lot on the patches on his wrist and his ear, but haven't really done anything for his inner elbow. I've always washed our clothes with "Free & Clear" detergent and he only wears cotton clothes. I did decide to stop using fabric softener on his clothes though. At night I put a long sleeve pajama top on him so he won't scratch his inner elbow, which bleeds if he does. I also try to cut his fingernails every couple of days. The patches always look really red and ugly when he gets out of the bath. I'm thinking the chlorine in the water is aggravating it so I just ordered a VitaShower SF-1 shower head after reading the shower filter reviews on this website: http://home.comcast.net/~reviewguy/index.html
I guess I'll just start using the shower head to fill up the bathtub for his bath.

I'm hoping in a few weeks I'll be able to say that there's been some improvement. I'll keep everyone updated and will post a review of the shower filter after I get it.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#372 of 504 Old 08-30-2006, 09:45 AM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by essnce629
I guess I'll join in as well. My son just turned 3 and has what I think is eczema on his wrist, inner elbow, and the area where his ear lobe meets his face. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow where it will be confirmed hopefully. It started out in the ear area when he was around 2 1/2. I thought it was a sore that just wasn't healing. It just developed on his wrist and elbow in the last two months. I just took him off dairy a few days ago for the second time. He never had any skin problems at all in his first two years of life. He was breastfed until he self-weaned at 24 months and didn't start drinking cow's milk until then. I've started making him daily smoothies with 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil, 1 1300mg capsule of EPO, and a 1/2 tsp of CLO mixed in. I'm also giving him 1 tsp of powdered probiotics between meals. I just started all of this in the past few days so I haven't seen any difference yet-- hopefully in the next few weeks. I've been giving him daily oatmeal baths and slathering him with shea butter afterwards and I've been putting EPO and Florasone on the actual patches. The Florasone helped a lot on the patches on his wrist and his ear, but haven't really done anything for his inner elbow. I've always washed our clothes with "Free & Clear" detergent and he only wears cotton clothes. I did decide to stop using fabric softener on his clothes though. At night I put a long sleeve pajama top on him so he won't scratch his inner elbow, which bleeds if he does. I also try to cut his fingernails every couple of days. The patches always look really red and ugly when he gets out of the bath. I'm thinking the chlorine in the water is aggravating it so I just ordered a VitaShower SF-1 shower head after reading the shower filter reviews on this website: http://home.comcast.net/~reviewguy/index.html
I guess I'll just start using the shower head to fill up the bathtub for his bath.

I'm hoping in a few weeks I'll be able to say that there's been some improvement. I'll keep everyone updated and will post a review of the shower filter after I get it.
Have you tried baking soda or epsom salt baths? The oatmeal bath did nothing for us. Baking soda and e. s. seems to be soothing both for the skin and the mood. Unfortunately, we don't have a filter for chlorine but I don't think it's an issue. At least not for us. We reduced bathing to every other day.
Also, the free and clear detergents are also made with chemicals that are toxic. Try real soap based laundry soaps from the HFS or borax-baking soda mix and rinse with vinegar.

All these measures didn't do much for us, though, until we made major dietary changes.
#373 of 504 Old 08-30-2006, 05:36 PM

Now that DS has some solids everyday, can I give him some quercitin? I started taking it about 2 weeks ago (1500mg a day) along with 3000mg a day of EPo, we have seen some improvement. How much of each can I take?

#374 of 504 Old 08-30-2006, 06:47 PM

I'll jump in, too. Henry suffered from eczema for a long time, and I finally put together a salve that seems to have worked. I actually have a business (well, used to have, I'm phasing out the biz side and going back to hobbiest level with this new baby arriving) where I make all natural B&B, baby and home products, and I have a great selection of ingredients, so that was good.

Anyway, here's the list of ingredients of my balm that keeps him clear of outbreaks is (in order of percentage):

unrefined shea butter
avocado butter
wheatgerm oil
borage oil
evening primrose oil
emu oil
natural vitamin e

I add soy flakes to it to keep it a balm consistency. I've done it w/o emu for my veggie friends, and it's still really gotten great reviews. I experimented with different EOs, but they seemed to exacerbate H's outbreaks, so we went unscented, and it seems to work well.

I did notice that peanut butter made his outbreaks worse, and so I got really good about making sure he didn't consume any, he tolerates almond and cashew butter very well, and a jar of that lasts forever, so it makes up for the $5 price tag, LOL!

If you want to try to throw together a salve or balm, I can help you with percentages and ways to cut costs, if you want just pM me!

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#375 of 504 Old 08-30-2006, 09:14 PM

I know it's nuts to jump into a huge thread like this, but I thought I'd share what has helped our 4.5 year old son tremendously. He's had eczema since 4 months (while exclusively breastfed), and we have had a 90% SCD diet at home this past year which is definately improving his general health but not the eczema. His lower legs and behind his knees were so red and itchy and waking him up at night, it was awful and we were even resorting to the occasional use of hydrocortisone (which barely worked and appalled me) so he'd get some sleep because everything else we'd tried had helped a bit but ultimately been futile.

I finally took him to an acupuncturist who is good with kids, he LOVES her, and she gave me an herbal cream called FULE SHUANG that she just brought back from china - no cortisone in it, all gentle herbs, smells like skunk cabbage. She also suggested lots of water, watermelon, cukes, no dairy (he didn't anyhow), no soap, and etc. for his particular constitution. And acupuncture. Anyhow, it's amazing, he's totally calm for the acupuncture and we put the cream on the itchy parts after his bath, and then cover his whole body with herbal balm - and my son has smooth pale skin and no itchies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...crossing our fingers here... but I thought I'd pass along the cream name.
#376 of 504 Old 08-31-2006, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Have you tried baking soda or epsom salt baths?
No I haven't, but I did just buy a big carton of epson salt for myself a few days ago that is still unopened. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Should I just follow the directions on the carton? It says to add two cups to the bath. That seems like a lot.

Oh, and I just finished reading the "baking soda as laundry detergent" thread and I think I'll try that next.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#377 of 504 Old 08-31-2006, 09:59 AM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by essnce629
No I haven't, but I did just buy a big carton of epson salt for myself a few days ago that is still unopened. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Should I just follow the directions on the carton? It says to add two cups to the bath. That seems like a lot.

Oh, and I just finished reading the "baking soda as laundry detergent" thread and I think I'll try that next.
I think you can use less, start with half a cup, I usually put one cup in the tub, just eyeball it. It mixes better in hot water.
#378 of 504 Old 08-31-2006, 01:57 PM

Quick question:
Some of you have mentioned the itchy bumps that accompany the eczema. I'm just wondering what the bumps look like. I know my DD has eczema on the inside of her elbows, but now she has little red spots that start out with a white center, almost like a white head. Is this a specific form of eczema? I'm so confused.
Also, I tried the sea salt bath, and that really seems to help the itching, and it seemed to heal the open sores.
I bought nettle tea, since it's supposed to be a natural antihistimane...but of course she won't drink it. I am going to try putting the tea bags on her arm, or putting them in her bath water.
I tried emu oil, which worked well for my eczema, but that's what started all the bumps on her.
Also trying jojoba oil, which seems to hydrate her skin really well.

Right now, I'm just concerned about this spreading all over her body, because the flakiness is confined to her arms, while the bumps are appearing all over her body (Not very many, but still I'm worried.) Oh! Also-a couple of days after she got the bumps, I started getting them too. I've only gotten 3 total, and they go away really quick.

Anyone know what might be going on?

#379 of 504 Old 08-31-2006, 02:00 PM

When my DS got those it was a staph infection he needed to be on antibiotics for, I would take her in to her pediatrician to get checked out. His looked like big white heads and then spread all over his body, when I got him in the dr said that they would of had to lance and drain them if I had waited much longer.
#380 of 504 Old 08-31-2006, 02:15 PM

Thanks, eternity, for telling me about the bumps on your DS. Our sound different though, because they go away on their own, and never get very big. I've had them on me too, and I'm fairly confident that I don't have staph. Hmmm...very interesting all the stuff that can happen to our skin!

#381 of 504 Old 08-31-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahinas_mommy
Thanks, eternity, for telling me about the bumps on your DS. Our sound different though, because they go away on their own, and never get very big. I've had them on me too, and I'm fairly confident that I don't have staph. Hmmm...very interesting all the stuff that can happen to our skin!
Oh thats good, my DS also has red bumps without any white all over his skin which only went away after 2 months when the dr gave him zyrtec. I dont like giving him lots of meds but it hasnt come back since then so we havent needed any more zyrtec
#382 of 504 Old 08-31-2006, 03:37 PM

mahinas mommy-That's exactly what I have all over my hands. The white bumps are what itch like crazy and they eventually open up and ooze stuff if you scratch them. Then it gets all dry. They itch, sting and are so painful! If you find anything that works, let me know!

Good luck

#383 of 504 Old 08-31-2006, 04:26 PM

mum2be-
I'm so sorry that you're suffering from the same bumps, but it's comforting to know that someone else has the same thing. One more question-do your bumps have white centers, or clear blister-type things. I get the clear blister things on my hands (between my fingers) but these new white ones I hadn't seen before.
UGH!!! Isn't there a magic spell that will just make them go away?!?!

#384 of 504 Old 08-31-2006, 05:28 PM

I get both-clear blisters and white bumps. The white bumps seem to be the worst though as far as itching and pain. I am at the point where I can not put my hands in water at all. I have to wear gloves in the shower even. It's not fun!

#385 of 504 Old 08-31-2006, 09:27 PM

I have eczema too. I used to just get little patches on my hands that didn't really bother me, then this summer, I just broke out all over on my hands, arms, chest, neck and face. It would just ooze, itch, then dry up and hurt. It was horrible. I was seriously ill- couldn't take care of my kids. I tried a billion different things- I went on a elimination diet, tried a chinese doc (he couldn't give me herbs because I'm nursing.) I was desperate. I finally got a steroid shot and cream. Not the route I'd like to go, but I have to function! The eczema is under control now, I am still using the steriod cream.

Eczema is more then just dry skin, as most of you I'm sure know. It is an immune system malfunction. They allergy tested me and no foods came up, but I tested very allergic to ragweed, mold, grass and dog dander. My symptoms started when weather turned warm, so i guess it could be the pollen. The really weird part is that I have no respiratory symptoms. So I'm trying Claritin too, to see if it will control the allergy.

We recently took a trip to the beach. We were there for 3 days, and my eczema totally cleared up. No ragweed or grass blowing in from the ocean.

I wish there was some way to stop my body from freaking out. Has anybody had success with a raw diet? It sounds very healthy.

I was studying the chinese medical model, the whole yin/yang thing, and illness is the body being out of balance and how they treat illness with disease. They say eczema is "too much heat" in the body. they talked about eating cooling foods, and lots of raw foods, sprouts and very little animal products. They also recommending putting raw honey on it. I can't remember what else, but it was interesting.

Just wanted to share.
#386 of 504 Old 09-03-2006, 01:29 AM

Well, we're still here, still fighting off the eczema, or whatever is causing it from our insides!
I bought us both a multivitamin, an immune booster for DD, and probiotics for both of us.
Also, lotion with canendula (sp?) in it for both of our use.

The actual scaly, flaky eczema is healing, so now we're just dealing with the bumps on DD. She says it's not itching as much, so I'm hoping we're on a slow natural road to recovery.
If all of this doesn't work, we'll start elimating things in our diet. Fun times!

#387 of 504 Old 09-06-2006, 04:59 PM

RiceMomma-
That Chinese diet thing sounds interesting! I am going to have to look into it. I really think that both mine and my DD's eczema is seasonal and allergy related. I go through the same cycle everytime the seasons change, and I noticed that she would get dry skin, but she never broke out with the bumps and full-blown eczema.
Luckily, it doesn't seem to bother her as much as it bothers me to look at her poor little body!
I'm going to start reading the "healing the gut" thread too, because I want to make sure that I fix whatever is causing our insides to be unhealthy so we can try to avoid another seasonal flare-up.
Anyone else been trying anything interesting?
Also, what's the consensus on taking sea salt, baking soda, etc. baths? I notice that they really seem to help DD's skin while she's in the bath, and slightly after, but then even with tons of moisturizer, the dryness comes right back.
Alrighty, well I'm going to quit rambling. Thanks for everyone's comments in here. I've learned so much!

#388 of 504 Old 09-06-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceMomma

We recently took a trip to the beach. We were there for 3 days, and my eczema totally cleared up. No ragweed or grass blowing in from the ocean.

I was studying the chinese medical model, the whole yin/yang thing, and illness is the body being out of balance and how they treat illness with disease. They say eczema is "too much heat" in the body. they talked about eating cooling foods, and lots of raw foods, sprouts and very little animal products. They also recommending putting raw honey on it. I can't remember what else, but it was interesting.

Just wanted to share.
fyi: 1. Ds' eczema entirely goes away at the beach.
2. re: heat, we use sulphur to break a flare-up--it works to cool his system
3. I put honey all over his legs & covered w/gauze after a horrible break out and it cleared overnight
#389 of 504 Old 09-06-2006, 06:30 PM

Regarding the honey-what kind of honey? Does it have to be raw?
TIA!

#390 of 504 Old 09-06-2006, 06:45 PM

I've had another breakout

My hands are getting worse and I think it's spreading to the back of my hands and down to my wrist. So far it's only stayed on my fingers and palms of my hands.
Also, my ear lobes/outside of ears have been itching like crazy. It feels like eczema type itchiness, but no signs of really dry skin there yet.
And, last but not least, I have it all under my eyes again. It just appeared overnight. I had this during the first 3/4 of my pregnancy too, but after I eliminated a lot of food from my diet (I did a blood test to find the culprits), it totally cleared up. Now it's back. I haven't eaten anything new or different.
My eyes are watery and red and my nose feels slightly blocked up. I'm thinking it's environmental allergies. But how do I find out what?

One thing that is getting to me is the fact that I am *hopefully* having a home waterbirth in the next week or so. I won't be able to put my hands in the tub because I can't get them wet. It just makes them 100 times worse! How weird is it going to be to wear rubber gloves with elastics at the wrists to keep the water out?

I am getting hopeless here! There has to be someone I can see who can tell me WHY this is happening...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page