The Eczema Tribe - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2006, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try Kukui Nut Oil or Kukui Oil from Hawaii for eczema. It works well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2006, 03:23 AM

I'm so glad to find this thread. I actually came to MDC tonight with the express interest of starting an eczema thread... I was surprised to find this thread.

My DD (2 yo) started out with a rough, red patch on her right knee around 6 mo. Since she had just started crawling, we thought it was rug burn. After a month of making sure her knees were covered at all times, we realized it wasn't. By the time she was a year old, (and still EBF), we had tried everything we could think of and she was just developing new patches (left knee and both elbows). We took her to a derm who prescribed protopic. We used it sparingly for about 2 mo before I found out about the cancer link... then I promptly tossed it. Meanwhile we were slathering her with aveeno lotion and washing her only with cetaphil, but the patches were getting worse and worse and spreading. So we took her to an allergist. They did the horrible skin-prick test and came up with NOTHING... no reaction to the 16 food and environmental allergens tested. He prescribed hydroxyzine to quell the itching that keeps her up nights (and leaves her bleeding)... we've continued with that PRN... whenever she is itching so badly that she cannot sleep at all. He also prescribed a cortisone cream during the week and Elidel on the weekends. I flip-flopped that and did Elidel during the week thinking I was sparing her from the wicked cortisone... little did I know that I was spreading more cancer-cream all over my poor baby!! So we stopped all the creams. We are down to a thick slathering of aveeno morning and night. During the past week, we have been eliminating wheat. Even though she's not "allergic" to it, I think she is showing several indicators that she's sensitive to gluten.
We need something to clear these horrible spots up!! I'll be reading here with great interest!

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
Old 10-20-2006, 09:47 AM

First, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmama View Post

Hemp Soap made by Oregon Trail Soap Company
It contains glycerine, hemp oil and shea butter and it works for us!!
I get it online at: www.oregontrailsoapco.com or by phone 503-329-9554
This seems like an advertisement to me... only 1 post. Fishy.

Anyways, I have a 4yo dd who has suffered with excema since she was tiny, mostly in the winter, and I had found a few products that worked for her if I use them religiously, until this year. She has it worse than ever, and no matter what I do, she is burning and itching.
I've known she has a dairy intolerance (behavioral symptoms mostly - she stopped tantruming entirely when we took her off cow's milk at 2), however I haven't eliminated *all* dairy since yogurt/kefir/cheese don't seem to make her react like the straight milk does.
So, with fear and trembling, I feel I should try eliminating all dairy... But I am so overwhelmed by that, making sure we catch every little bit of dairy, reading ingredients, etc... right?

Can any mom who's gone down this road tell me how you did it or a good resource/website that explains exactly how you do an elimination diet, how long, when to reintroduce, etc...

OK, one more question... dd has had a blood allergy test, just a blood draw at the hospital and they did a screen, which came up with nothing... is all the prick testing really that much more effective?? I'd rather not subject her to that, but it would be worth it if it helps us find the culprit.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Jenny
Old 10-21-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpsterdivamama View Post
First, though...

This seems like an advertisement to me... only 1 post. Fishy.

Anyways, I have a 4yo dd who has suffered with excema since she was tiny, mostly in the winter, and I had found a few products that worked for her if I use them religiously, until this year. She has it worse than ever, and no matter what I do, she is burning and itching.
I've known she has a dairy intolerance (behavioral symptoms mostly - she stopped tantruming entirely when we took her off cow's milk at 2), however I haven't eliminated *all* dairy since yogurt/kefir/cheese don't seem to make her react like the straight milk does.
So, with fear and trembling, I feel I should try eliminating all dairy... But I am so overwhelmed by that, making sure we catch every little bit of dairy, reading ingredients, etc... right?

Can any mom who's gone down this road tell me how you did it or a good resource/website that explains exactly how you do an elimination diet, how long, when to reintroduce, etc...

OK, one more question... dd has had a blood allergy test, just a blood draw at the hospital and they did a screen, which came up with nothing... is all the prick testing really that much more effective?? I'd rather not subject her to that, but it would be worth it if it helps us find the culprit.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Jenny
I don't post much here but I am over at the Healing the Gut Tribe a lot and
have a couple of suggestions. If you eliminate all dairy it will take up to a month to fully get out of her system. You need to learn how to read food labels very carefully. Have you researched enzymes at all? I just got done reading Karen DeFelice's book 'Enzymes for Autism' and it was an eye opener. I really cannot recommed it enough.!!!I wish I had read it before I went the dietary changes route (I am doing SCD for a yeast infection that is causing DS's eczema.) Don't be scared off by the title, I am not implying that your child has autism. Here is the website with information about enzymes:
http://www.enzymestuff.com/
You might try an enzyme to specifically break down casein first before trying to cut it out of the diet. If you think she is sensitive to gluten also the enzymes may help.

We create our own reality.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:29 AM

Whoa. Thank you so much for that information! I just looked briefly over that website and am in system overload, LOL! I know nothing about enzymes, and will definitely do my research!! Thanks!
Old 10-22-2006, 01:10 AM

Okay, wise mamas... need help!
We've been wheat-free for over a week now and her eczema is getting WORSE?? What is going on? I have been carefully scrutinizing every morsel that crosses her lips and I haven't noticed an increase in any other food group, either.
I'm at a loss. The "bots" (spots) as she calls them are getting worse: bigger and crustier and itchier... I just hate that I feel like there's nothing I can do for her. Since the appearance of the first spot at 6 mo, my poor girl has never been itch-free. she's now sporting bandaids on the inside of each wrist and on her left ring finger... without them, she scratches right through the skin till the area looks like ground meat!!
Please help. what else can I do? Keep her slick with aveeno lotion just ain't cutting it.
PS- the very worst, crustiest patch is on/around her eye

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
Old 10-22-2006, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dkenagy - i suggest reading the "healing the gut" cheat sheet and then joining us over there. a no-wheat diet might not be the best way - maybe you need enzymes, maybe you need to really modify the diet, etc. we're really friendly and helpful in the HTG tribe .

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 10-31-2006, 08:05 PM

: Taking notes, ladies! I just found out today that I am dealing with eczema. I have a pretty bad case of it on my feet, and it's been around for at least 5 years. I'll be back when I have more time later to read the rest of the thread.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:17 AM

Any many mamas here opted to get rid of their pets to try and help with the eczema? If yes, did it help significantly?

I feel like I am grasping at straws here, I have changed my diet and DS's eczema has only gotten worse. We are trying craniosacral therapy right now and from here I don't know what to do next.

We create our own reality.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:06 AM

I dont think Id ever get rid of any of my pets, but I have banned them from dds room. I also throw her stuffed animals in the dryer (or freezer) once a month to kill dust mites etc. Keeping the room vacuumed as much as possible and the sheets washed frequently.

Dds eczema is a thousand times better than it was last year (her first year with it). I think its a combination of lubricating the outside of the skin as well as the inside of the body with omega fattys.

Im in massage school right now, and have had some cranial sacral work myself, its quite powerful, not to be underestimated! Ive also heard alot of good things about chinese herbs.

good luck
Old 11-04-2006, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenagy View Post
Okay, wise mamas... need help!
We've been wheat-free for over a week now and her eczema is getting WORSE?? What is going on? I have been carefully scrutinizing every morsel that crosses her lips and I haven't noticed an increase in any other food group, either.
Most likely wheat isn't the culprit. Have you tried eliminating other foods like dairy?

When my dd had ezcema at age 5 mo, she was exclusively breasfed. The ND I went to said I should eliminate wheat, dairy, and eggs from my dite for 2 weeks and if one of those was the culprit, I'd see an improvement. Well, there was no improvement--if anything, it was worse! Several months later, I went on a strict elimination diet... I took out chocolate, sugar, dairy eggs, gluten, tree nuts, anything processed, etc. After a month her skin was sooo much better... and when I rechallenged I found out diary and chocolate were the culprits. Dairy takes at least 2 weeks to get out of one's system-some say longer.

Now, I also believe yeast (candida) in my system and hers' too, was part, if not all, of the problem. I think I posted this link earlier, but here it is again: http://www.labouroflove.org/health-&...ion-treatment/

Unfortunately, I did not stay on my no sugar diet! Now we are battling tooth decay. I just found out that the bacteria that causes tooth decay feeds on yeast-they have sort of a symbiotic relationship.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Any many mamas here opted to get rid of their pets to try and help with the eczema? If yes, did it help significantly?

I feel like I am grasping at straws here, I have changed my diet and DS's eczema has only gotten worse. We are trying craniosacral therapy right now and from here I don't know what to do next.
Nolansum,

We did get rid of our two cats and our dog. It was recommended by the homeopathic practitioner that we were seeing at the time. My husband and I both have a history of eczema, allergies, and asthma, and the dr said that dd's chances of stopping the allergic train and her NOT moving on to asthma were greatly decreased with the pets in the house. It was one of the hardest decisions that we've ever had to make, but just looking at our dd's bloody, weepy, ravaged skin made it a no-brainer. Luckily, our pets went to loving homes with people that we know and trust. Our dd's eczema made a turnaround (slow, but dramatic) after the pets left us. We are certain that the pets were affecting her, as she flares after playing with dogs if we don't wash her hands and face right after, and she flares after being anywhere near cats.

We love our pets dearly, and we miss them terribly (especially since the kitty-boys are not here to catch mice this winter!!). Our dd is dog CRAZY (must run in the family), so we hope that she's able to tolerate a hypo-allergenic breed eventually. We'll wait until after the babe-in-planning is here and demonstrates whether or not allergies will be a problem. I'm hoping that by clearing myself of digestion issues that the next child will have a leg up on this whole mess.

Nolansum, this is so hard. My heart goes out to you.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hey Mama's, I haven't read this whole thread, but could someone ease my mind a little?
Dd1, who will be 7 in Feb. has a large red ring around her anus. I noticed it the other day during a routine tick check & it was fairly faint, but I just noticed it again as we were getting into the shower. I have severe tick/Lyme paranoia & this looks so much like a bull's eye with her anus being the center. The ring is about 2.5 inches in diameter & is lighter in the inner circle, with a darker red ring.

Could it be yeast? Help.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:51 PM

sounds like an allergy ring to me....how are her stools?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hmmmmm, they're as they usually are, formed but not too hard, medium dark in color. I was trying to think of different things she's eaten lately & two times it was something overly sweet (like when Daddy took her out & let her order Belgium waffles with strawberry sauce, syrup, whipped cream & jelly & both times she also drank pasteurized milk, we only drink raw at home & they don't eat out often.

So, sugar=yeast or pasteurized milk=allergy........?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:19 AM

I have dyshidrotic eczema. I looked it up on wikipedia, and the symptoms match exactly. I didn't have it as a kid. I actually grew into it around 18 years old. I know my working conditions don't help. I work with food, so I have to constantly wash my hands. Plus, one of our cleaners is a chlorine based sanitizer.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:57 PM

Well, This is my first post after lurking off and on for a while.Thanks so much to all the mamas who have helped me through this ordeal.Yalls stories really made me feel not so alone.Heres my story.

My 2 1/2 year old developed eczema last summer. We tried all the creams, oils and even OTC hydrocortisone. None of them helped, so we eliminated dairy from her diet. No Changes.

Then I saw somewhere on the web that the culprit is usually your childs favorite comfort food.I thought about it and that girl would eat a PBJ with a glass of soymilk for every meal if we let her.So, we eliminated soy entirely from her diet and the rash began to clear up.I went ahead and eliminated peanuts as well and it cleared up completely!

About a week later, She got her hands on a PBJ at my mother in laws- and WHammo! Her rash return full force within a couple of hours. This time it was the worst I had ever seen it. My mother in law helped me to take her to a dermatologist the next day. What a waste of time and money. She gave me scripts for a cortizone cream and a syrup to help her sleep. I did not fill them and instead went back to eliminating those 2 problem foods. The doc was not at all interested in the elim diets or that there might be connection at all. Just gave me some bandaids.

I am happy to report that my little girl has soft smooth skin again and her behavior has drastically improved. We use california baby calming cream 2 x a day and do not use any soaps on her skin.Hope this helps someone else!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star View Post
I looked everywhere for the Bag Balm but couldn't find it. I'm in Canada and I'm wondering if it's even available here. I doubt the free shipping at the Riteaid site is to Canada.
Lee Valley Tools carries it & ships in Canada, but not for free; my orders have always been $10 to ship, but they were boxes about the size of two shoe boxes. Just the Bag Balm might be less.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...55&cat=2,42551

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 12-16-2006, 04:09 AM

Hi there--I need to go back to read, but DS and I belong here. He has a bad patch on his ankle/foot, and I have it on the insides of my arms and on the backs of both hands.

Will do a proper intro once we read a bit! Just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the info!

--Adrienne
Old 12-21-2006, 05:42 AM

Sorry for my lurking...But now i've actually got a question I can't already find an answer to!

DD is 6 mo. old, she just got over the chk. pox and also suffers from mild-moderate excema. However, in conjuction with the pox/excema, she now has developed impetigo, which i've been told is more to do with the excema than the pox. ANYWAYS- the Dr. suggested "fucidin" antibiotic cream to treat the impetigo, I refused, started doing my research and found that oil of oregano mixed with a carrier oil (i'm using grapeseed) 50/50 is way more effective-not to mention safer for DD.

Just wondering, how do you momma's deal with infected excema, how do you prevent impetigo from developing? Does the oil of oregano negatively affect the excema?? I'm desperatly trying to get rid of this awful rash-it's mostly behind her ears, it looks gross

P.S. I just started using "Betty's Own" multi-purpose cream, anyone know anything about it? it's from the health food store.

Breastfeeding, Homebirthing, AP'ing Mama to DD 06/07/06 & DS 03/11/09 & I Love my Husband too
Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
i have Pompholyx (sp?) ~ mostly on my left hand, on my middle two fingers, but sometimes it spreads over both my palms.

stress is the biggest trigger for me. outbreaks are maddening. : and toward the end of one, when my fingers are all crusty (sorry if this is TMI) i invariably get people who give me looks like i ought to be quarantined. blah. i want to shout at them, "It's not contagious!!"

i've been trying to find natural remedies for it for awhile but so far nothing. i'm in the process of making a rosemary tonic for it now... :
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I have had this all my life and NEVER knew what it was. I spent a year going to a dermatologist and at it's worse I had big ole holes in my nails! I was given creams and when that didn't work and the nail holes showed up I was given what I think was oral steroids. Whatever it was he was adamant I not be pregnant. He keep asking if I was sure I wasn't pregnant. (Hrm.... I had a miscarriage two years after that.. I wonder if it had anything to do with it.... ) Whatever the pills where, they got rid of it. BTW, this appeared right after dd#3 was born and lingered until she was about two.

Then when DD#3 was born I got it again. It wasn't as bad and went away on it's won. I don't even remember how long I had it, just that I had it again, how annoying.

DS is now four months old. A month ago it appeared yet again. : I have been putting Tropical Traditions Baby Silk cream on it. It keeps it at bay if I remember to put it on there.. but I often forget.

When I was a kid I used to get this on my feet. I always though it was a heat rash and that I was "allergic" to shoes. I can only wear shoes that are leather, and I must wear sandles in the summer. I think this is what that was/is as well.

Anyway, the reason I came to this thread originally was because DS has a dry patch of skin on his forehead. Sometimes it is rashy and sometimes it is just dry. I have noticed when he nurses depending on what I eat, it gets red and rashy just after nursing. The rash will go away after awhile but the dry patch stays. I have cut dairy out for the most part.. well except butter and cheese : but he still gets it. I am going to contact a farm nearby tomorrow about raw goats milk as my youngest DD is allergic to dairy (causes wheezing) and I want to get her off soy.

I will talk to my ND about this Pompholyx and see if she has any ideas and how to get rid of it. Thanks for giving me a name.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:07 PM

I'm glad to find this tribe. my son is 4.5 months old and has eczema all over his body. It's pretty severe on his face, where it's scaly, flaky, often raw and oozing. His arms, legs and torso just have patches and some bumps. And he has it on his scalp (cradle cap).

It started at 6 weeks with a small patch or 2 on his face, and then progressed from there. We are constantly attempting to keep him from rubbing his face, because he just rubs the skin off! It's very stressful for us. and, i can only assume, extremely uncomfortable for him!

We bathe him 2-3 times a day and then goop him up with Aveeno and also this olive oil based eczema cream.

We have taken him to a homeopath and he's on a remedy that seems to be having a positive effect.

We have prescriptions for Elidel and Zyrtec, but we don't want to use them. We used Benadryl once, but had a rebound effect from it, so forget that!

It's just so sad have to swaddle him to sleep when he doesn't want it, or hold his arms down so he won't hurt himself. I think it's interfering with his development because he spends so much time being itchy.

I hoped that he would outgrow it in a couple of months, but I keep reading this stuff about people having it their whole lives, or at least until they're 5 or 10 or teenagers. With his being so bad, I wonder if it'll recede or go away at all.

Any good stories of kids with severe eczema who outgrew it early on would be welcome. As well as holistic ways to keep down the itching on his poor little face.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:28 PM

even bathing with just water can dry the skin, and 2-3 times/day for a kid who has bad excema is a lot, i think. i only bathe my toddler 2x/week, and we don't use soap unless he's super smelly.

Is your son bf'd? If so, have you considered that he might be reacting to something in your diet? If he's ff'ed, he may have sensitivity to the dairy or soy content, or something else even, in the formula.

We like cocoa butter and Aquapohor for regular lotions, and we do use a steroid cream if it's getting out of control, b/c his excema is environmentally triggered and I can't keep him out of the grass in the springtime! I do wish we had some less chemically-based options, but when it comes to my kids' skin cracking open and bleeding, I'll do what I have to do.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis337 View Post
even bathing with just water can dry the skin, and 2-3 times/day for a kid who has bad excema is a lot, i think. ...
Is your son bf'd? If so, have you considered that he might be reacting to something in your diet?
There are 2 teams on this issue, it seems. One says only bathe 1-2x/week and the other says many times per day. We usually give him oatmeal bathes, and we lock in the moisture asap after the bath, so we think it's good for him. Most of the dermatologists I've heard have an opinion go with the 2x/day theory, so there we are. Plus, he enjoys it and it seems to help him feel better.

He's ebf and we did a whole allergy elimination thing already. His skin seemed to react to citrus and tomatoes, so we've cut those out. Soy also seemed to make him super gassy, so we're not eating that, either. Other than that, nothing made a difference. Sometimes he'll have a good skin day and we'll look back and say "hmm..we ate practically nothing but bread and cheese!" so it's not dairy.

Steroids, imo, just suppress the system, and make the problem go deeper. So we're not doing that. We haven't decided on the Elidel or the antihistamines. I don't like that you have to give the antihistamines constantly for them to work properly. Oy. I just want my baby to be happy.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karin95 View Post
He's ebf and we did a whole allergy elimination thing already. His skin seemed to react to citrus and tomatoes, so we've cut those out. Soy also seemed to make him super gassy, so we're not eating that, either. Other than that, nothing made a difference. Sometimes he'll have a good skin day and we'll look back and say "hmm..we ate practically nothing but bread and cheese!" so it's not dairy.
I have been off dairy since late Jan., and beef since March. DS's eczema and cradle cap cleared up around Easter. I have however continued to eat cheese and butter.

The other day I was craving a fresh strawberry shake. I had DH get me a small hoping that DS had grown out of his allergy a bit. Nope.. two days later cradle cap came back. Since the shake was a one time thing it cleared right up however.

So I just wanted to point out that your child COULD have a diary allergy but for some reason cheese and butter wont effect him/her.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:41 PM

Evening primrose oil and bifidobacterium.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
So I just wanted to point out that your child COULD have a diary allergy but for some reason cheese and butter wont effect him/her.
Thanks for that. However, we don't drink milk, and rarely have anything with milk in it (the occasional ice cream), so pretty much it's cheese, butter, yogurt.

His itchiness was so bad last night, it kept him up for a long time. Which meant I was up for a long time trying to keep him from scratching and flailing. It's sooo sad!
Old 06-21-2007, 02:02 AM

subbing in. i have a 22 month old who has mild eczema--dry patches behind his knees that almost never go away. he calls them his itchies, and he's pretty good about trying not to scratch them. i haven't had time to read all the posts in this thread, but i look forward to learning from all your experiences. we are vegan, so diary isn't an issue for us, and i don't think soy is. i haven't tried eliminating different fruits and veggies b/c my ped had told me that the patches would clear up when it got warm and not to worry about them. well, it's june, and they are as bad as ever. so i guess i better start looking into other causes besides cold weather! thanks in advance for all your help!
Old 06-21-2007, 02:51 PM

karen95

Your son sounds exactly like my son was at 4.5 months, red, oozing, peeling, itchy, especially on his face. He is now 7 months and only in the last month have I noticed some major improvements. I'm not exactly sure if he is just starting to grow out of it or if all the stuff I am giving him is starting to help, I have never had a clear sign that something (elimination/rotation diets, supplements, efa's etc) made a difference. . Actually, this past month I have been cheating on my diet and he looks better than ever WTF!!

At the moment I have him on EPO, high vitamin cod liver oil, dairy free probiotics, digestive enzymes, a homeopathic remedy, acupuncture and I am avoiding the top 10 allergens in my diet. My homeopath suggested a bath with apple cider vinegar and epson salts, I have been doing that for 3 weeks and it really seemed to help with itching.

I just had some scratch tests done yesterday and milk, soy, eggs and cats came up positive! I don't understand these results as I had been very very careful to avoid milk, soy and eggs for months and there was absolutely no improvement in his skin. I don't know how accurate these tests are in such a young baby.

I also still swaddle him when he sleeps, I feel bad doing it but he will still scratch like crazy even though he looks better. My naturopath said not to worry about the swaddling hurting his development, she said in some cultures they swaddle until they are 2!!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:51 PM

'Blood chemicals link' to eczema

By looking at the blood chemicals that are present during peak scratching times, scientists may be better able to understand what causes eczema.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6962450.stm

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

User Tag List