The Eczema Tribe - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 504 Old 06-14-2005, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been battling eczema on my hands for years. Lately, so bad that my wedding ring may have to be cut off due to the swelling. I have had some relief with the Omega 3/6/9 supplements and using olive oil and calendula based products. I can't figure out what in my diet could be causing it, unable to go on strict elimination diet till dh is working and we're out the in-laws house. Hmmm, maybe stress has been making it worse lately?
My ds has beautiful skin except for a crusty area on his navel and occasionally at the base of his penis, it responds well to Badge baby balm. My dd has the same crusty spot on her navel and a patch on between her buttocks that also does well with the badger balm. She also has dry pink rough cheeks. Neither of my children had it untill we moved up here to the high desert. I'm thinking it's a combination of the minerals in the well water and the junk food Grandma keeps giving them against my wishes.
For us, anything with a petroleum base just makes the problem worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 504 Old 06-21-2005, 02:31 PM

Hi, my son Niko is 6 months and just started having a rash on his cheeks. It started 2 weeks ago as a small red rash. It looks like whiteheads and then they break open and scab up right away. It does itch him but he doesnt scratch, thatnk goodness, he rubs it with th e back of his hands. He has been sick on and off for 3 months with respiratory issues and the Dr started him on a therapy of Pulmicort 2 x a day for 30 days. He had been on this for a week before the rash and I have stopped the treatment to see if it is the culprit. I was using luberdern and now using Weluda Calendula Creme as of yesterday and it seems to be helping. I usually shower with him and only use water. I shampoo his hair once a month or so. I am also supplimenting with EPO and EPA from Nordic Naturals. Oh and I am back on the Prenatal vits, I had gotten lazy in taking them. He is BF exclusively and I haven't changed my diet. I need to start taking probiotics again, I haven't been since his last round of antibiotics. Does probiotics transfer thru breastmilk?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed! I haven't slept well in a week and neither has he or DH.
#33 of 504 Old 06-21-2005, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

I have infant probiotics, which I briefly gave to dd with a medicine dropper. She learned very quickly how to take them (faster than she learned to take my bm in a bottle!). She later developed impetigo that didn't respond to topical antibiotics, so she took a course of oral ones, plus the probiotics to help reculture her gut.
I do not take probiotics right now. I thought I read that they really don't transfer into breastmilk.

A word of caution about Weleda products (which I love). They contain peanut oil, so if your babe is allergic to peanuts, it could be a problem.

It used to be recommended that you use little soap and bathe infrequently. I found that dd is very soothed by the bath, as is her skin. I give her short baths with chamomile tea. I use kiss my face olive oil and aloe soap--the same stuff I use. It's a very oily soap, which is nice, and I use very little. We do 2 minute showers with quick rubdowns, too.
As soon as she's out of the water we dry her off and immediately moisturize. I currently use some locally made eczema salve.

I definitely recommend doing an elimination diet. If your ds is allergic to something you're eating, all the creams and ointments in the world won't stop the reaction. Creams help to heal the skin. Find the cause of the irritant.

HTH, mama!
#34 of 504 Old 06-21-2005, 06:47 PM

We use homeopathic Sulfer and it seems to help.
#35 of 504 Old 06-21-2005, 07:29 PM

We bathe in organic oatmeal, or baking soda, or sea salt. Getting rid of allergens in the diet. And, I think getting my metal fillings replaced (still BF dd at 2 1/2, been lactating now for 6 1/2 years!) has helped her skin.
#36 of 504 Old 06-21-2005, 11:15 PM

Glad to join in
Dd has had weepy eczema behind her ears since about 9 mo and she is now 17 mo. Last week on Jessviola's thread someone mentioned that Zim's crack creme (the original) healed up her babes weepy eczema in no time. I've tried everyting natural without success so I decided to do some research. They sell it at CVS and it contains glycerine, alcohol, water, arnica extract, and myrcia oil. I tried to search myrcia oil, but what I found was very limited and it seems to be derived from bay leaf. It has natural antibiotic properties. I started placing it behind dd's ears Saturday night and it is now almost completely dry.
I've been doing more research on eczema and it seems that the kind that is weepy and itchy is caused by yeast overgrowth. We know that dd has this along with dysbiosis. She just spent the last 10 months vomiting regardless of what she ate. She would vomit between 1-3 times per day and her appetite continued to decline with time. We thought that she was allergic to almost everything - dairy, soy, gluten, avacado, egg, potato, sweet potato - we did an elimination/rotation diet for months. Talk about being limited. Did all the medical tests and everything came up perfect. The "allergies" always manifested themselves with gi symptoms - only vomiting. Anyway, two weeks ago I put her on a special diet that heals the gut (a very easy and liberal diet compared to what we've been on). She vomited once with eating the first day and that was it. She is eating all the things that we thought she was allergic to except soy, potatos, and gluten. She loves eating for the first time since I introduced solids at 6 mo. She is much happier. Just wanted to share with all you allergy mamas . Feel free to pm me if you want to know more about the diet. Also, homemade yoghurt or kefir is really easy to make and has tons more good bacteria than store bought probiotics - check back a few months on the health and healing section for the probiotics thread. There is so much info on probiotics there. I'll try to go back and bump it up.
#37 of 504 Old 06-22-2005, 10:49 AM

that's an interesting theory about the weeping/itching eczema being yeast overgrowth. We've been on a yeast free/sugar free diet for a couple months now as well as giving probiotics but didn't see any difference until using the zarzaparilla. i've been wondering about yeast (i wonder about a lot of things :LOL) lately because of the little patch that came back around his mouth. maybe it's just a form of wishful thinking though because i want to be able to eat like normal again :LOL
#38 of 504 Old 06-22-2005, 11:02 AM

Count me in. My DS had his first outbreak of eczema when he was 8 months old and it was HORRIBLE. We had it somewhat under control by wearing cotton clothing, oatmeal baths & such, but he recently got it so bad that he started bleeding / pussing from some spots and i'm working on getting it under control (my poor baby ) any advice would be appreciated

+ + =
#39 of 504 Old 06-22-2005, 01:46 PM

Count me in too! DD has it. She was basically born with it. I remember the first time I looked at her little feet she had sty crusty patches on her ankles. We've been battling it since then. It hasn't been as bad as some though. Mostly just little dry patches. She's got one really bad patch on the back of her knee. It pretty much stays raw or crusty most of the time. She also has a patch between her middle and ring fingers that has gotten pretty bad. We did get an Rx from the Dr. for it (not Elidel), and it works really well but I'm leary of using it too often since it is a steriod. Nothing else we've tried has worked.
#40 of 504 Old 06-22-2005, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I have a love hate relationship with the steroids, too. They work. They give Ingrid relief. They stop the inflamation. But they're steroids. Her ped said to use it sparingly, so that's what we do. And avoiding the triggers, as much as possible.

I was inspired by the Zarzparilla that Jessviola was talking about, and I spoke to a friend of mine who is an herbalist about sarsparilla. He said he would show me how to make a salve with it. That'll be a few weeks from now, but I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.
#41 of 504 Old 06-23-2005, 11:33 AM

parthenia, i would be very interested in the results and knowing how to make it myself. and to avoid confusion, the sarsaparilla is from the vine, not the tree.
#42 of 504 Old 06-23-2005, 01:35 PM

I may be a qualified member of this tribe. DS (almost 4mo) has had these dry patches with little bumps on his face. Last weekend they seemed to spread to other parts of his body . The ones on his face turn red when he's hot or crying or just rubbing his face. I just noticed today that the back of his neck is all dry.

I had bad acne for years and I always felt this fustration trying to cure it. (After a lot of diet/lifestyle changes my skin is great! I guess you can say it took me on the road to all things crunchy ) Now I'm getting that same sinking feeling trying to figure out what could be wrong with DS.

It's not that visible but his face is all rough . I miss his baby soft cheeks. I guess I should really consider cutting out dairy. I actually didn't eat dairy for almost 2 years but during my pregnancy I started craving it. I still don't eat much but if that's what's bothering him, its definitely not out of my system cause I do have it every few days.

But overall he's a very happy baby... I just wonder, could it really be something in my breastmilk he's allergic too? If there was something in my breastmilk, wouldn't he be all gassy and stuff? (although I must say his poops don't smell all that sweet as some mamma's describe breastfed poo)

I changed his detergent back to the baby one two days ago and washed all his clothes... It did seem to get better, but today it seems pretty bad again. I gave him a lanolin bath hoping maybe that would help him.

Luckily, he's not scratching really. I don't know if it's not itchy or he hasn't figured out how to do it. Either way, I'm happy about that.

I sort of feel overwhelmed. There is so much information on these boards about treating eczema, but now I don't know where to start. I wish someone could just give me a checklist.... like a to do list :LOL
#43 of 504 Old 07-06-2005, 12:56 PM

deleted post
#44 of 504 Old 07-06-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiddiqi
If there was something in my breastmilk, wouldn't he be all gassy and stuff?

Just wanted to chime in here DD was recently (a month or so ago) taken off of dairy to see if it was causing her excema. Her excema wasn't bad at all and only developed at 6 years of age so it wasn't a serious case or anything. Anyway, her cheeks cleared right up and no, dairy never caused her any gas or digestive problems. Now, it causes ME digestive problems AND my excema cleared up when I cut it out, so I don't know what to tell you We're all different. But what the heck, try going dairy free for a few weeks if you suspect it. Just make sure you either make your food from scratch or read all ingedients because there's a lot of hidden dairy out there.
#45 of 504 Old 07-06-2005, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
Just wanted to chime in here DD was recently (a month or so ago) taken off of dairy to see if it was causing her excema. Her excema wasn't bad at all and only developed at 6 years of age so it wasn't a serious case or anything. Anyway, her cheeks cleared right up and no, dairy never caused her any gas or digestive problems. Now, it causes ME digestive problems AND my excema cleared up when I cut it out, so I don't know what to tell you We're all different. But what the heck, try going dairy free for a few weeks if you suspect it. Just make sure you either make your food from scratch or read all ingedients because there's a lot of hidden dairy out there.
You know, I decided to do exactly that and his rough spots got all clear! I was also taking flax seed oil so I thought it was probably that, but this past weekend I had cheese and he got rough spots again. So dairy is officially off my diet now .
#46 of 504 Old 07-09-2005, 05:18 AM

My 18 month old dd has had eczema probably since she was born. It started with really inflamed rashes on the cheeks, at 7 weeks developed a horrible cradle cap with raised red oozing patches, and by three months she was covered head to toe. Ped said that it's hereditary with no known causes and wanted her on antibiotics and steroids. At three months, she started waking frequently at night and her bowel movements changed from the normal breastfed ones to really foul smelling ones. On my own I started reading about it and eliminated all the major allergens from my diet--dairy, corn, soy, wheat, seafood, nuts, tomatoes, berries, eggs, chocolate, etc. She still didn't get better. By five months, she woke every 30 minutes during the night and the only way to get her to sleep was to nurse her. She wore mitts all the time, and sometimes at night I would tie a stretchy blanket around her pinning her arms down. Finally I caved in and gave her the steroids and antibiotics the ped prescribed. It instantly cleared up. I was using hydrocortisone cream on her also per the ped. The hydrocortisone made her flare back up on her arms. Ped said that as long as I kept her moisturized she'd be fine and to only bathe her once a week. I finally talked the ped into testing her for allergies. Turns out she's allergic to milk, wheat and dogs. I also got a referral to an allergist who advised daily 10 minute baths with no soap and to moisturize within 3 minutes of taking her out of the bath. That did seem to help. I was given a prescription for elocon, a stronger steroid, to use and dd tolerates it much better. Her main spots were wrists, elbows, knees and ankles. During all this time I also consulted with a homeopath, 6 naturopaths, tried efa's, earthworm herbals cream, probiotics, etc.
About 6 weeks ago, I started using pure shea butter as a barrier cream after her bath--I don't even dry her off, just pull the plug and start rubbing it in. It is absolutely wonderful! I have not had to use elocon since I started the shea butter. She looks absolutely normal.
Here is what we do that really seems to work for dd.
1. Avoid her known triggers. I still avoid the top allergens in my diet and hers. She also can't tolerate beans, spinach, red berries, corn. We no longer visit friends with inside pets, or if we do, we don't go in the house. I try to keep the house dusted and vacuumed and wash the sheets weekly in hot water.
2. She only wears 100% cotton clothes. I have found that she will break out in a rash if she wears polyester. I also dress her in one piece outfits so her tummy isn't exposed to things.
3. We try to wear 100% cotton or put a cotton blanket between our clothes and her when we hold her.
4. All our laundry is washed in All Free and Clear with a double rinse and no liquid fabric softener or dryer sheets.
5. She gets a daily 10 minute bath with no soap. I add enough sea salt to the water to make it taste salty. (Her skin became so soft when I started the salt.) I get the water as deep as possible and continually wet her parts that aren't submerged.
6. She is not dried off and she gets moisturized immediately after her bath. I avoid moisturizers with fragrance, perfume, lanolin, alcohols, petroleum, petrolatum, etc.
7. When her skin is broken and rashy, during the day I will spray colloidal silver on it and then apply shea butter. One doctor said there's no point in applying a lotion/moisturizer if you don't hydrate the skin first.
8. We supplement her with aloe vera juice, probiotics, vitamin C and a multi vitamin. She won't take efa's so I try to sprinkle ground flaxseed on her food.
9. Since I am making our foods from scratch, we avoid colorings and most sugars.
10. Until we started using the shea butter and she stopped being so itchy, we dressed her in long pants and long sleeves during the day and night. That way she would be scratching through clothes.
11. We cut and file her fingernails about every 4 to 5 days.
12. At meals she sometimes becomes itchy when she gets food on her wrists. She now wears longsleeved cotton bibs I bought from abetterbib.com
I may be leaving something out, but that's all I can think of right now. We are trying to have a second baby. When I do get pregnant, I will definitely avoid all the major allergens and take probiotics.
By the way, two great resources I've found are the yahoogroup eczemaparentscircle and the kidswithfoodallergies website.
Deborah
#47 of 504 Old 07-12-2005, 07:41 PM

No time to write much now, but Derek had AWFUL ECZEMA when he was smaller. We found some stuff online that has WORKED WONDERS for him. It does have hydrocortisone in it, but it has been a life saver!!!

http://www.eczemamiracle.com/

It didn't seem to be helping the first couple days that we used it, but after about the 3-4th day, he woke up completely cleared. Now we just use it once in a while when he starts to flare up.

If I can get my USB port working, I will try to download some before/ after pics.

Good luck everybody!!
#48 of 504 Old 08-05-2005, 01:02 PM

Hi,

I think I belong to this group also. Not sure if anybody is still here by now, since it seems like nobody has posted for a while. My DS is 5 1/2 months old and has suffered from eczema pretty much since he was born. It started as dry flaky skin and cradle cap, but soon got a lot worse. He also has some serious digestive problems, with green, mucousy, bloody diarrhea, and nasal congestion. He has several food sensitivities. I am off (BF'ing him) wheat, gluten, corn, dairy and citrus, and there are several other things I can't eat that I have tried (that I normally don't really eat much at all), such as garbanzo beans. I haven't tried soy milk yet, got some sitting in the pantry though to try at one point. His digestion has recently finally been much better, I think the probiotics that I'm taking and also giving him are finally working, and I also started taking (bovine) colostrum which really seems to help him.

But his eczema still isn't better. Sometimes his skin will look really good for a few days, only to flare up again.

I found this product line online, but haven't tried it yet. Wondering if anybody has tried the Stallatopia line of Mustela? (http://www.mustelausa.com/stelatopia.html)

Edith
#49 of 504 Old 08-05-2005, 02:54 PM

Welcome Edith,
Some kids that are sensitive to dairy, are also sensitive to beef products.
Maybe the bovine supplement could be bothering him. Sometimes a rotation diet helps when there are so many foods to avoid. I am glad to hear you are taking a probiotic, many babes get help when it's directly given to them. There are many probiotic products made specifically for infants. Good luck.
Circlemama
#50 of 504 Old 08-06-2005, 01:08 PM

Edith, start reading the "Healing The Gut" Tribe thread... in my experience, nothing we put on DS's skin worked as well as internal help. (Although evening primrose oil on patches did help.)

When he was 8 mos old we started an Elimination Diet and also naturopath px'd 1/2 t. cod liver oil and 1/2 t. flax seed oil. Then changed to evening primrose in place of flax.
Quercitin, an anti inflammatory, 1/4 t. once a day then up to twice a day. Culturelle and acidophilus probiotics. That gave us our initial clearing, but still battled digestive issues since then. Which led us to where we are now...
#51 of 504 Old 08-10-2005, 03:44 PM

We had an appointment with the ND last Tuesday and found out what the food allergy test said. The results were actually in. What a crazy little list. Max's blood reacted to:
apple
avocado
bean, green
bean, yellow wax
broccoli
brussels sprouts
cabbage
cauliflower
celery
cherry
coconut
cranberry
eggplant
garlic
grape
grapefruit
lemon
lentil
lettuce
lime
oat
onion
orange
papaya
parsley
pea
peach
peanut
plum
radish
strawberry
tangerine
wheat
egg whites
cow's milk
barley
soy

Basically, he's reacting to most of the foods I'm eating now. I think that he got sensitized to them because they were all that was left after eliminating so much. I have a theory that his liver is a little sluggish because it took unusually long for his hematoma to go away after birth (rough train of thought to how I'm making connections: hematomas~jaundice~liver) and because he had such a positive reaction to the sarsaparilla (purifies blood and detoxes the liver) and now I'm thinking that it's not clearing the proteins out of his system as quickly as normal and so they build up and he gets sensitized easily. Does that make any sense or am I a complete loon?

So now I'm on a 4 day rotation diet using the foods that tested safe. There's a bit more variety, but it's tough to come up with enough ideas for 4 days worth of different stuff. I can eat goat and sheep milk products so I get to eat some cheese! I'm hoping to get some goat mozzarella from a shop that makes their own cheese so I can make a pizza. At the least I know they have parmesan from sheep milk so I can have my rice pasta with sauce and parmesan.

The little things that bring such joy.....

Oh yes, as I almost completely forget the most important part. It's now been a week since the appointment and Max's skin is looking really good. I'm holding my breath because everytime it gets clear, it flares up again. It feels different somehow this time. I suppose because we're not relying on a cream. Although I did get my fun package of herbs today and they're stewing in the crockpot right now
#52 of 504 Old 08-14-2005, 09:08 PM

Thank you all for your posts! I'm just getting started on this quest for relief and this thread has been a great source of good ideas and products to try.

As for my story:
I have a 15 mo ds who has developed what I think is eczema in the last three weeks. His patches are on his left hip and right elbow crook...they started small and have been getting bigger and more diffuse. Just in the last couple of days they've started itching him. We haven't seen any doctors about it, so we haven't tried any steriods/prescriptions.

My sister has had eczema all her life, which is why I recognized it. Her dd, who is 29 mo, also has eczema. I am my niece's caregiver, so I also deal with her eczema on a daily basis...her spots are her eyelids (!), elbow crooks, and sometimes her hips, knee crooks, and upper arms. I don't think they've done much about it (for either of them) except moisturize.

I'm gearing up to go on an elimination diet, keep a food log of what we do eat, ordering EPO (we already take Cod Liver Oil) and probiotics, and finding some good non-petroleum products for moisturizing (we're using Aquafor and Eucerin...and they're not really helping).
#53 of 504 Old 08-16-2005, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Edith, start reading the "Healing The Gut" Tribe thread... in my experience, nothing we put on DS's skin worked as well as internal help. (Although evening primrose oil on patches did help.)

When he was 8 mos old we started an Elimination Diet and also naturopath px'd 1/2 t. cod liver oil and 1/2 t. flax seed oil. Then changed to evening primrose in place of flax.
Quercitin, an anti inflammatory, 1/4 t. once a day then up to twice a day. Culturelle and acidophilus probiotics. That gave us our initial clearing, but still battled digestive issues since then. Which led us to where we are now...
Hi All,

I agree with Jane. She is the person who encouraged me when I was desperate to find something to heal my dd, who developed eczema at 5 mo of age. DD was exclusively breastfed. Believe me, I wanted to do everything but give up my chocolate. The homeopath told me to eliminate eggs, wheat, & dairy for 2 weeks and if one of those was the culprit, her face should look significantly better after that time period. Well, if anything, it looked worse.... but it has turned out that dairy is one of the things that she is sensitive to.

It took my sticking to a stricter elimination diet for 4 weeks before we started to see a change. I eliminated gluten, dairy, chocolate, eggs, nightshades, tree nuts, fish, caeffine, sugar... ate only turkey, chicken, lamb, and grass fed beef for meat... and I added in good oils-cod liver oil, borage oil, evening primrose, etc and I also took probiotics. I think it took that kind of elimination because my dd's system was overloaded... also, it takes 2 wks for dairy to get out of the mother's system then 2 more weeks for it to get out of the baby's. Also, I ate as much organic as possible.

We had been using the eczema miracle cream (1% hydrocortisone) out of sheer desperation, but it didn't touch the eczema until I started my diet. Around week 6 we went to a Chinese medicine practitioner who also does NMT (neuromodulation technique). We did do a few sessions of that, but I'm not sure how much if any that helped, looking back on things. However, she told us to stop the eczema miracle cream and start using Chinese Pearl Powder creme 2x/day instead. That stuff is fantastic. I bought it through her-she says she gets it made for her in SF Chinatown.

Now, that dd is a little older (13 mo), she is okay if I eat like I "used to." If I eat lots of chocolate or lots of uncooked dairy or lots of desserts she'll get reddish cheeks-but the pearl powder cream takes it all away. She seems to be allergic to dairy... she got some goat's milk yogurt on her face the other day and broke out in hives.

My dd eats way better than I do! I delayed solids (because of the ezcema) until she really wanted them, which was at around 10 mo when she started crawling. She eats only meats, veggies, and fruits. Absolutely nothing processed and no flour and no dairy!

Bascially, I believe the key to getting rid of eczema is to change the internal environment of the digestive system.

Check out this thread, where I ended up getting so many of my eczema questions answered!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=228710

Plus, here's the "Healing the Gut Tribe" thread Jane referred to:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=320840
#54 of 504 Old 09-01-2005, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
am i the only one on here with Pompholyx? :
Nope, I looked it up and that is exactly what I have. It is pure torture at times. I wake up in the middle of the night with such severe itching, my fingers get so swollen that I've had to cut off my wedding ring. It's been really bad with stress and moving and having my hands in water and all the cleaning and washing of dishes I've been doing. Is there anything I can do about it? Everything I've read says to use steroid creams and heek my hands dry. What type of products do you use? Has an elimination diet helped?
#55 of 504 Old 09-02-2005, 01:47 PM

DS's ped just told us he has a "pre-eczema" condition. I've been applying coconut oil, but nothing else yet. Wanted to do more research. I thought things got worse (his chin & chest were awful, on & off, where his drool is) when I ate tomatoes. Dr said wouldn't be a factor, so interesting that a pp said high-acid foods seemed to make things worse. So far, besides the raised red areas on his chest, he's got dry patches on his legs. Guess I'll have to try an E.D. I've never been good at not eating foods i'm not supposed to : .

FWIW, in my very minimal research before coming to MDC, I read a recommendation to treat eczema by taking 2 tsp real apple cider vinegar (raw, unfiltered) & 2 tsp honey in a glass of water 3x/day. Also said could dilute 1 tsp a.c.v in 1/2 c water & apply to skin. And said people w/eczema are usually low in potassium. I happened to have potassium vitamins on hand, so I've started taking them & drinking the a.c.v. But it's very early days & hard to say if it's helping at all.

Also fwiw, my dd seems to have no allergies. We lived in the city when I was pg w/her. Then we moved to the country. My "hayfever" is now bad each summer & was particularly bad last summer when I was pg w/ds. I can't just dismiss it as a coincidence, although it could be. Ironically, I'd say my diet while pg w/ds was much better than w/dd. More organic foods, cod liver oil, fewer processed foods, etc.

Thanks for all the tips & for not making me feel alone in dealing with this!
#56 of 504 Old 09-03-2005, 01:24 AM

I have a question.I've been having the same spot with eczema for about 3 years now.But, now I am egtting a second one and I have dry patches all over my upper body. Needless to say, I'll see a nurse in 2 weeks ( dermatologists here either don't take new patients or only with referal)

Do you think it still makes sense to try to find out if there is some nutritional cause maybe?
#57 of 504 Old 10-10-2005, 04:17 PM

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to join the tribe (late, I guess.) I'm feeling discouraged because we had just about got our daughter's eczema cleared up (under her chin mostly) when it reappeared on her lower back, and now again under her chin. sigh. We have her on an elimination diet (we did applied kinesiology with a chiropractor)-she's off most dairy, oats, tomatoes, potatoes, oranges, and a few other miscellaneous things, plus we give her an omega oils special supplement. It got SO much better and I thought we were out of the woods. It's helpful to read people's stories and know that this is ongoing and requires creativity and patience! We do use a couple of lotions to reduce the itching, but no cortisone - we don't want to drive the inflamation "underground". Sounds like it doesn't always work anyway. I think the oils have really made a difference for us, plus we are very careful about perfumes, detergents, etc.

We have tried to be clear with her day care about her special diet, but I think sometimes they forget or don't realize that something contains oats, for example. Also, it seems like a lot of kids are sensitive to berries. We've been eating strawberries and raspberries the past few days, so perhaps that caused the flare up.
#58 of 504 Old 10-10-2005, 04:41 PM

Diane B.
We all know our children best. I do know that alot of "allergic" kids have problems w/ seeds. It's not unheard of for kids to be sensitive to flax oil, or fish oils. Just a thought. Our minds are always wondering, especially when
we've had a clear up, only to have a flare up return. Sometimes, we aren't going to figure it out, due to seasonal stuff, combination food allergies or unknown factors like daycare. Our kids are lucky to have great moms like us,
who keep trying to figure it out.
Circlemama
#59 of 504 Old 10-10-2005, 10:30 PM

diane b - the elimination of all wheat and gluten products seems to be very successful for us so far - in the month since we've started it ds' eczema has gotten much, much better.
#60 of 504 Old 10-11-2005, 05:30 PM

In addition to elimination diets, has anyone used a chlorine filter w. their bathtubs & noticed a difference? I'm seriously considering purchasing one & wonder if anyone has any recommendations.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page