The Eczema Tribe - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 504 Old 10-13-2005, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 5.5 week old DS was just diagnosed w/ eczema. I'm now scrambling a little to figure out what to do about it. I think it may have been the baby soap we've been using, but I'm cutting out dairy as of today just in case.

Does anybody know how long it will be until I know whether or not dairy is the/one of the triggers?
#62 of 504 Old 10-14-2005, 12:17 AM

I'll join the tribe. My daughter was just diagnosed with atopic dermatitis (it's a form of eczema). It started about five weeks ago. The rash starts on the top of her head and goes all the way down everywhere till the soles of her feet. They thought it was a very bad viral rash at first, but after five weeks and the way it has behaved (getting better, then worse) and other stuff, they say that it's atopic dermatitis. Right now we are using a hydracortizone cream, but only started that this afternoon, so I don't know if it works yet. We were given an antihistamine, but we don't usually use medicines, and anyway it's a moot point cause she won't take it. Are there any natural remedys taht you would recommend that are okay to use over one's entire body?
I'm really questioning our doctors advice right now. He says it's very common (which I know) and that it's basically just dry skin and that no allergy is triggering it. According to what I've read, it is triggered by an allergy. I don't know, I could use advice on what to ask, and what to look for, etc... we go back in less than a week, so I would like to be armed.
Looking back I guess we've been dealing with eczema for a long time but didn't know it. She has always been very prone to rashes and has had half dollar sized spots of rough scaley skin on her mons pubis since she was about six months. This is just so discouraging for us. She's had two flare ups with very little time between them. each time she flared up about three days after visiting my mother and sister's houses. Since it took three days I doubt that this is the trigger, but they use chemicals to clean and shampoos and stuff, and we don't. I don't know if that could cause it. I guess we'll eventually figure it out. can a flare come on three days after exposure?
Thanks for this thread, I haven't read through it entirely yet, but I'm working on it. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks,
Courey
#63 of 504 Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 AM

please think twice about using the cortisone cream. while the skin will probably appear to improve, what's really happening is the immune system is being suppressed so the skin doesn't flare up and if it continues it could reappear in a couple years down the road as asthma or other more serious manifestations. i really believe in the importance of seeking out and addressing the cause before it gets more serious.

three days isn't too long for a reaction. if the reaction is as clear as you describe, i would definately be wary of visiting your mother and sister and would be watching her like a hawk after a visit. has she had similar flare ups at other times?

i'm beyond exhausted so i hope i'm not alarming you with this post. good luck figuring out what's going on with your daughter!!!
#64 of 504 Old 10-14-2005, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraB
Does anybody know how long it will be until I know whether or not dairy is the/one of the triggers?

Dairy takes at least 2 wks (I've also heard up to a month) to get out of your system once you stop, then 2 weeks to get out of baby's...

Other common allergens are wheat, eggs, chocolate...

hopefully it was the soap! You can just wash a baby with plain water.
#65 of 504 Old 10-14-2005, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWhimsey
I'll join the tribe. My daughter was just diagnosed with atopic dermatitis (it's a form of eczema).Courey
Courey,

Atopic dermatitis is associated with gluten sensitivity... you may want to check out the "healing the gut tribe" http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=350068
thread and post your question there. At the very least, search on the web for more info on gluten sensitivity/celiac disease. Your child should be tested for it.
#66 of 504 Old 10-14-2005, 12:04 PM

Courey~

Your dd's situation sounds very much like mine. Isabella was 6 wks. when the skin from her neck down got very rough & patchy w. oozing on the backs of her knees. Her whole body was effected except her pubic area. When it first erupted, her dr. said it was heat rash. Now we know she has eczema & we're on the road to still figuring out what her triggers are. Thanks for the info on the gluten. Also, dd's allergic to eggs. I'm going to try cutting out dairy & seeing if that helps.

We initially started w. using Calendula soaps & creams to no avail. We were on the cortisone for a short time, but I just didn't feel right using them. Now we use Shea Butter on her legs & treat flare ups w. Florasone. Graham's Natural Alternatives Calendulus Plus Cream has been REMARKABLE for us, but it's very expensive. I agree you have to find the source.

Good luck!

Tina
#67 of 504 Old 10-14-2005, 12:42 PM

"Superimmunity for Kids" by Leo Galland, MD is great for explanation of essential fatty acid supplementation for eczema as well as other ways of boosting immune system (something conventional docs know diddly squat about). Essentially eczema is an auto immune reaction.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...127265-8340866

Just because eczema is common doesn't mean it's normal.
#68 of 504 Old 10-14-2005, 12:45 PM

And I would suggest to all instead of just cutting things out and thinking in terms of "my child cannot handle certain foods", think about why that is.

For us, it was a problem with intestinal flora, which is the foundation of the immune system, and produces the immunoglobulins that protect that body against everything foreign, including allergens. And since studies have shown both intestinal flora and essential fatty acid imbalance in kids with eczema, those are good places for everyone who is interested in curing this to start.
#69 of 504 Old 10-14-2005, 04:18 PM

Can you give a 6 week old probiotics or will Mom taking probiotics be enough? I know that Mom passes lactobacteria through her milk...are probiotics the same way?

I was taking EFAs and probiotics throughout pregnancy, but slacked off after the birth b/c I ran out.

I'll try zinc supplements too.
#70 of 504 Old 10-14-2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraB
Can you give a 6 week old probiotics or will Mom taking probiotics be enough?
Yes and yes. Zinc is good, also Omega 3 is good (fish oil, flax seed oil, primrose oil)

Primrose oil applied topically helped us somewhat too.
#71 of 504 Old 10-14-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWhimsey
I'm really questioning our doctors advice right now. He says it's very common (which I know) and that it's basically just dry skin and that no allergy is triggering it. According to what I've read, it is triggered by an allergy. I don't know, I could use advice on what to ask, and what to look for, etc...
I had similar "advice" from our ped : Actually for a few months he just kept on saying "it's just a patch of dry skin" and then just prescribed Hydrocortisone, which actualy made it WORSE.

I too read a lot about ezcema having triggers and spent months figuring them out.

Some of the triggers include foods that kids or bfing mama eat as well as external triggers, like pet dander, mold, perfumes, soaps, fire-resistant clothing, etc.,

In those forums you will find a lot of topical cream suggestions (which do not CURE it, but help relieve the itching and dryness)

What seemed to help in our case was

1. Changing the diet (she was not BFed at a time, so it was hers, but just as applicable to BFing mama) You'll have to figure out triggers for yourself, cuz every case is different. Big part was adding probiotics.

2. Herb baths - camomile, calendula

3. Dead Sea Mud (topical). I know, I know sounds extreme, but I was desparately looking for ANYTHING - I actually ordered it online.
#72 of 504 Old 10-14-2005, 05:05 PM

My DD has excema..the worst places are on the back of her knees and her scalp...any ideas on how to moisturize the itchy scalp? She has very long hair (if that matters) but she acutally has scabs in places where she has scratched that hard! We have taken dairy out of her diet (due to a constant runny nose/cold symtoms and in hope it would help the excema) I am checking out the Healing the Gut tribe as well....but would like some advice on some natural symptom relievers..any suggestions? She is 2.5 btw.
#73 of 504 Old 10-16-2005, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi......My dd has eczema, but only on the inside of her elbows and one spot on her leg. It started this summer (dd is 4yrs) when she started swim lessons. I took her to a naturopath, who prescribed sulpher, flax oil and hydrating and moisturizing the skin. It went away rather quickly, with quick showers after her swim lessons. Now its back again, in the same 3 places only. Ive noticed it flares up once or twice a week. It runs on both sides of our family......and I havent had her tested for allergies. Ive been using floracream (sp?) and sometimes hydracortizone, but Id like to get away from that. It does seem to work, but only temporarily.

For the bath soaks......what do you all us or recommend? Thanks, its nice to find some alternatives that work. Im going to try to find the Shikai borage ped formula lotion and maybe the shea butter........
#74 of 504 Old 10-16-2005, 06:45 PM

For the bath soaks, we do 2 a day, I use either organic oatmeal, put in a sachet type thing, sea salt or baking soda. I would like to find aluminum free baking soda in bulk.
#75 of 504 Old 10-16-2005, 08:16 PM

Does baking soda have aluminum? I thought it was baking POWDER that contained aluminum............
#76 of 504 Old 10-18-2005, 09:03 PM

Well.....I went to my local HFS and the woman in supplements was very informative.

I found some Calendula suave that has all natural ingredients including shea butter, neem oil, jojoba oil amoung other things.

The other item she recommended from her personal experience with burns and rashes was Derma-Life with aloe vera and vitamins. Its not oily at all, goes right in, very concentrated so a little goes a long way, no smell. Just great stuff.

She also printed out some info for me and suggested lecithin and molasses to mix with yogurt or smoothies.

Ill keep you guys posted on how these work.
#77 of 504 Old 10-19-2005, 12:35 AM

huh...

I just bought molasses the other day bc I've heard it's a great thing to put in smoothies or oatmeal - with all the great vitamins in it...

but I didn't know it was good for eczema! Good to know!!
#78 of 504 Old 10-19-2005, 05:57 PM

We're having success!!

A naturopathic doctor recommended I give DS 1/2 tsp coconut oil twice/day via dropper. I've been doing that for maybe a month now & the eczema is nearly gone. I still want to figure out what he's allergic to; hopefully we can save up the money & find someone who does Applied Kinesiology (sp?). My sister, a chiro, did give us 2 homeopathic remedies, one for allergies & one for metals. We've been using them for 1 1/2 wks & so far I haven't noticed a change. Anyway, I would certainly recommend trying coconut oil.
#79 of 504 Old 10-19-2005, 06:29 PM

Thats great news! Where did you find the coconut oil.......and is one kind different from the others.....as far as using orally??
#80 of 504 Old 10-19-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsmom
Thats great news! Where did you find the coconut oil.......and is one kind different from the others.....as far as using orally??
Hi Debra! Sorry to hear the eczema is back. You can get coconut oil at the health food store-it is a solid at room temp. You can also order it from http://www.mercola.com/forms/virgin_coconut_oil.htm. It is good to use on the skin (although kind of greasy) and use in cooking.

Are you giving dd cod liver oil (Carlson's or Nordic Naturals) and probiotics? Those are important in healing from ezcema. My dd likes the lemon flavored Carlson's but not the NN kid's berry flavored!) If your dd can do dairy, you can make some "24 hr yogurt" which will have way more healthy bacteria in it than any probiotic powder http://www.pecanbread.com/goatyogurt.html. Also, New Frontiers (our local health food store) is selling raw milk! (not organic, though ) I bought some last week and made the 24 hr yogurt... if you use raw milk, keep the temp 110 or below.

One "soak" a day, with oatmeal tied up in a washcloth and applied to affected areas, helped dd. Immediately upon getting out, apply lotion. I use Aubrey Organic ultimate moist unscented-have to special order from New Frontiers.
http://www.aubrey-organics.com/spec_..._moist_cat.cfm

I use it because it is the purest. It is really thick but goes into the skin well. Shikai had too many chemicals in it for me-look at the ingredients. When her condition was really bad, we resorted to the 1% hydrocortisone Eczema "Miracle Cream." When I got into my elimination diet, I also went to an NMT practitioner-Kristina Rogers, who prescribed "Chinese Pearl Powder Cream" to use instead of the hydrocortisone. That stuff is awesome. I tried all sorts of topicals- evening primrose oil, coconut oil, Florasome, Neem cream, etc etc-the diet, CLO, probiotics, and the pearl powder cream worked for us!
#81 of 504 Old 10-19-2005, 09:57 PM

Hey sarah! .....yes, we are doing cod liver oil as well as flax oil mixed in her yogurt.

Where do you get the Chinese Pearl Powder Cream?????

Have you tried the Derma life ?
#82 of 504 Old 10-20-2005, 05:47 PM

Hi Debra,

Haven't tried the Dermalife. Is it working? The pearl powder cream I get from Tiger Moon Wellness Clinic. It's on backorder, though-I'm trying to find another good source. Magpie has it but their version is scented!
#83 of 504 Old 10-20-2005, 06:06 PM

Hey sarah........what is the brand name? Maybe I can help find it on the net somewhere and we can order together to save on shipping. I found this site, but it doesnt say whether its unscented or not:

http://www.siumarket.com/skincare.htm
#84 of 504 Old 10-23-2005, 10:07 AM

rainsmom - looks like sarahariz got you pointed in the coconut oil direction. you do want to be a bit picky since not all c.o. is the same. i don't know the brand mercola endorses, but i'm sure it's a good one. i use wilderness family naturals (www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com, i believe) & it's very high quality. hth!
#85 of 504 Old 10-23-2005, 04:59 PM

I talked with my sister this morning who is an RN and works for an allergist and used to work for a Derm. She was telling me it is really useless to test children under 9 for allergies, bc any younger and they would test positive for most everything. Now, she is western medicine in her beliefs, so dont know how to take her opinion on this. But she is also an eczema sufferer, and said that by age 12, her severe eczema cleared up completely and now only reappears if she is exposed to chlorine from swimming or other external irritants. She said in my dd's case, it is most certainly genetic, and not related to food. (it is on both sides of the family)

Would love to hear more of your stories/experiences with seeing a western medicine doc.........Im not sure I want to go in that direction, but curious and willing to do anything for dd, who seems to have 3 areas that she gets small outbreaks in.

Also.....what if any kinds of cleansers do you use on your dc's? Ive been using Dr Bronners Baby, but my sis told me I should be using something with an emollient in it. ?
#86 of 504 Old 10-24-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsmom
I talked with my sister this morning who is an RN and works for an allergist and used to work for a Derm. She was telling me it is really useless to test children under 9 for allergies, bc any younger and they would test positive for most everything.
Thats very odd because my DD has undergone allergy testing and she tested positive only for grass pollens.

#87 of 504 Old 10-24-2005, 10:34 PM

DS's eczema is really clearing up well! It looks like it was the Gerber baby soap w/ shea butter. I'm going to try adding in dairy in a week or so and see how he reacts.

I've been giving him baths and rubbing olive oil into his hair and skin before washing w/ Dr Bronners. It seems to leave him more moisturized. I've also been putting lanolin on the really dy parts w/ great success.
#88 of 504 Old 10-25-2005, 12:17 AM

I went to a chiropractor today who said that between a series of adjustments for ds, plus the application of Flaxseed Oil/Evening Primrose Oil on his skin, and calendula in the bathtub, and taking coromega (fish oil pills) daily, ds' eczema should clear up in no time!
#89 of 504 Old 10-26-2005, 03:09 PM

Is it important to get soaps/lotions unscented?? I have this clear Derma-Life stuff, that isnt an oil or lotion, but seems good, but wanted to put a good moisturizing lotion on top of that.......and also I want to find a good bath wash that is moisturizing and doesnt have alot of chemicals in it.

what are you all using??
#90 of 504 Old 10-26-2005, 07:00 PM

I think these sites are good sources of info. The first is Western medicine, second, more alternative.
http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/atopic-causes.html

http://www.labouroflove.org/health-&...ion-treatment/

I think it is fairly important to get unscented, but if one does get scented, it should only be scented with natural essential oils. However, I have heard that some children react to even those.

I don't use soap unless I absolutely have to. Then I use Aubrey Organics liquid Soap. I believe they have a baby soap as well.

My ped agreed w/ Debra's sister for food allergies. He says that what you yourself see in terms of a child's reactivity is right on. For external allergens he feels the tests are more accurate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page