Mothering Forum banner

The Eczema Tribe

43K views 503 replies 149 participants last post by  aslandess 
#1 ·
Do you or does your child suffer from eczema? What have you found are the triggers? What helps soothe? Introduce yourself and tell us about your journey.

I'll start, I have 2 dd's. Bea is almost 6. She had mild eczema and I never quite figured out what triggered it. She had rashes under her armpits, behind her kness, and on her chest (which was worsened by drooling). I used Eucerin and Aveeno oatmeal baths. It went away at around age 2. Bea also has a constant runny nose, which may be dairy related. I could really use some suggestions on how to help wean a school age child off one of her favorite foods, if only temporarily. She *hates* soy milk.

Ingrid is 3 1/2 months and has it much worse. She has it in the same places, as well as on her cheeks, where it is most severe. She has a diaper rash that follows the pattern of her flare ups. She has recently developed impetigo on her cheeks. We've tried mostly locally made creams and salves. The best one is a diaper rash salve with calendula, chamomile, olive oil, and a few other soothing herbs. We bathe her in ground oatmeal and chamomile tea. With the impetigo I've used bacitracin, bactroban (which worsened it) and at my wits end, reluctantly am using Ceflex antibiotics. The impetigo is going away and she now has mildly weepy patches on her cheeks. Diaper rash salve makes the redness go away in minutes! I also use California Baby diaper area wash on her cheeks. It seems to be very soothing and keeps the itching down.
I think dairy is the culprit and am cutting all dairy out of my diet.
I was allergic to dairy as a child.
I'm also taking evening primrose oil. 500mg/day. I don't know if it's helping dd, but it's making my skin healthy.
I don't have eczema, but I have mild rosacea, which is also triggered by food. I can't use anything but water and oily moiturizers on my face. Heat, stress, coffee and wine are my triggers. I'm sure there are more.

Ingrid's eczema has been a source of grief and frustration for us all. We can't kiss her cheeks! I am always asked "What's that on her face?" And while I don't think people necessarily judge *me* for my daughter's eczema, it's so frustrating that I judge myself. Why can't I help her? What more can I do? Am I ever going to get a photo of her without big red angry rashes on her cheeks? How do I help her stop rubbing and scratching (thus causing impetigo).

I've spoken to a local herbalist who is going to be making an eczema salve with some of my suggestions. When he finishes up, I'll let anyone know who wants to try it.

Let's hear from more Eczema moms!

See less See more
#128 ·
My son got a red, raised, itchy rash after we switched from baby detergent to regular detergent when he was 18 months old. He's always had sensitive skin, but he doesn't get dry, cracked, or hardened areas like a lot of people mention. In fact, the only time he gets a rash on his body is when he's exposed to regular laundry detergent or dryer sheets. He was diagnosed with eczema at the time of his first rash, but I wonder if it's really contact dermatitis. Wouldn't he have patches unrelated to exposure to detergent or dryer sheets if he truly has eczema?

He also gets rashes around his mouth from tomato sauce and ketchup and from Ranch dressing. When he was younger he got little rashes when snaps on clothes touched his skin. And he has local reactions to mosquito bites. They get hard and hot and swell.

He was diagnosed with allergies and asthma later, and I know the 3 usually go together, but I can't help wondering if he truly has eczema or if it's more of a contact dermatitis thing.

What do you think?

#129 ·
My dd got a rash on her hand at the end of Dec I think from using a hand sanitizer. Seen the Dr said it was contact Derm well it itched in the real red spot that went away and it had the look like it peeled. Fast forward her hands no longer itch but are slightly redened in certian spots they dont really look dry to me. Went to Derm yesterday and he said its eczema Can it be eczema with no itching anymore. He said It looks to be almost cleared up. She doesnt have any other problems Oh except on her feet sometimes. I have real dry skin but it doesnt get red or itch. Her hands dont itch anymore but the skin in the spots where it was real red looks pink and kinda wrinkled if that makes sense her finger tips seems to be slightly redend to. The Derm said it was normal nay of you moms experience this does it sound like a mild case of ezcema or should I take her back again.

AMY

#131 ·
we have had allergy testing and she was allergic to absoulutly NOTHING lol. He test 46 things. She got the rash or redness after using a hand sanitizer. The itchiness of it is gone but during hte day on and off it will appear red or pinkish I have read thats common. I just wanted to see what other moms have experienced this is her first time having anything like this. I didnt think the redness could last this long he (Dr) said could last 6 mo to fully clear up.

thanks
amy

#133 ·
well she was test on her back and reacted to nothing however I know she is sensitive to dairy cause her ear and sinuses become plugged but she didnt react to it on the test. I think the eczema is caused by the hand cleaner maybe enough of hte right factors at the right time you know.

Thanks
amy

#134 ·
All about dietary fats and eczema, including milk discussion:

The Miracle Fat for Eczema--GLA
http://www.mercola.com/2003/may/28/eczema.htm

Also, I wonder if our success in treating eczema was also the reduction of vegetable fats with omega 6's

Quote:
Too much omega-6 in the diet "uses up" the delta-6 desaturase enzymes needed for the omega-3 pathway
http://www.price-pottenger.org/Artic...staglandin.htm
Omega 6's the main component of vegetable oils -- the current fad in supposedly healthy diets. (Canola, safflower, soy, corn oils are not healthy for this reason and others). When a large part of the diet of is fats from omega 6's it causes a deficiency in other fatty acids.

Fats are one of the components of breastmilk that is directly related to the mother's diet, for example if you eat trans fatty acids, the show up in your BM and also compete with omega 3's.

Learn more about fats here:
Know Your Fats
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/index.html

#135 ·
Hello there,

Jessie, mama to my sweet DD who is suffereing from eczema on her legs and a small patch on her chin. I realized something while reading this thread. Something really simple that never clicked with me before. When DD is nursing or going to sleep she kicks her little legs around. I used to think it was just a cute quirk of hers. I now just realized that she's probably trying to scratch her legs!
I feel so bad it didn't dawn on me before. My poor baby.

Our pedi suggested that her eczema was due to weather, but I don't think that is all it is. She's had reflux for most of her baby life and is just now getting better. I suspect food allergies in my diet. I'll be starting to eliminate foods this week. I already eat practically no dairy, so that'll be the first to go completely. Then, probably wheat.

Every day I apply a homemade lotion bar to her skin. It contains, beeswax, cocoa butter, vitamin e and olive oil. She really seems to enjoy it and it does help her some. I hope to get this under control. I just feel so bad seeing those red little patches all over her and knowing that they must hurt

ETA: I also take 1, 1000mg flax seed oil pill daily. Just started this and hope it helps as well.

#136 ·
Just want to say Ive had great luck using a natural herbal salve..... ITs called Eczema Care Salve by Wiseways Herbals, available online or at a health food store. Heres there link:

www.wiseways.com

What I do at bedtime for dd who mainly has a large patch on her leg and occasionally on the inside of her arm opposite her elbows.....I put this salve on and then wrap her leg and/or arms. I noticed an improvement almost immediately using this salve. Heres an ingredient list:

Olive Oil extracts of Organic burdock, dandelion, oregon grape and yellow dock root, black walnut hull, calendula flower, chickweed, echinacea, nettle, red clover and violet leaf, lanolin, beeswax, essential oils and grape seed extract.

#137 ·
Jane -- Where in MA are you? Can you recommend a doctor? I'm dealing with a terrible case of ezcema that is just getting worse and worse and more and more painful.
I am getting to the point where I'm tempted to go to my doctor or to a dermatologist just to be given a steroid (which has worked for me well in the past). But I want to find the root of the problem and fix it. I also catch colds really easily; I feel like there might be a connection there.

#138 ·
my ds has had eczema (the sandpaper-y kind) since early November. he had a mild case of rotavirus a few weeks ago and that's when i finally figured out for sure that it is related to his diet more than mine - he reverted to just nursing and mashed (raw) apples and we saw a dramatic improvement. he doesn't itch ever - just has bumpy, rough, rosy skin.

he's been dairy free for 2 weeks or so and there is some improvement. i just went dairy free last week to see if we can get it a little further. i think by eliminating dairy, we managed to eliminate a lot of junk they were feeding for snacks at daycare.

the only cream we use is weleda calendula lotion. bath is part of our night-time routine but we rarely use soap (he wants to eat the bottle, so it's just easier not to have the bottle around!).

i took ds to the allergist last week and i caved
: i knew that the silly SPT would come back with negative results but i still let them torture him. and such a useless visit too. "oh well, there's nothing he's allergic to. i guess you'll have to keep experimenting with elimination diets."
:

my dh has seborrheic dermatitis that flares up from time to time. i'd be willing to put a lot of money on a bet that his condition is diet-related. he won't take me up on it. grrr. he doesn't want to give up his hot chocolate, chocolate milk, or his peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches. curiously, when he has 2 blood oranges at night, his skin is better in the morning. so i'm wondering if his is an ascorbate deficiency or an acid imbalance.

i had a dairy allergy growing up (recurrent ear infections) but have never really had skin problems. this skin problem is quite puzzling and perplexing for me. i'm so obsessed with correcting it...

for those who are using CLO and other oils... are you giving them as supplements to your dc? if so, how? do the fatty acids pass through breastmilk and if so, would it be sufficient for me to take the supplements?

#139 ·
I give my kids supplements. I would think your little one is old enough. you can mix CLO in anything pretty much. I think you taking it, it would transfer a little to your ds but not as much as he probably needs if that is the problem. You can apply evening primerose topically to problem areas, but doesn't sound like he really has any eruptions spots..just the sandpaper skin..my dd has the latter with a few, on occasion, epruption spots. Super Immunity for Kids by Leo Galland talks about the importance of the EFA's and which kinds are available. I like using a combo of the CLO/or fish oil & Flax for maximum benefit. Check the book out at the library...it is well worth the read. He gives dosage and other vit info too.

#140 ·

I have been dealing with my own hand eczema issues for about 4 months now and while I've read this thread, it applied to babies/children more often so I took what I could and used it. Now my 9 month old dd has had a flare-up of what has been confirmed as eczema. She had a couple of tiny spots on her chest and behind her knees that I was almost positive was eczema but they were very tiny, never flared up and I could keep it under control with just moisturizing. Now it has been flared up for about a week with new areas under her chin developing. At the same time she has been dealing with a cold and a viral rash

Like I said, my own hand eczema flared up about 4 months ago and I am still struggling to find a cause. I tried the hydrocortisone creams with no success. Took an anti-inflammatory for 3 days before deciding the irritability side effect was not worth the little benefit I was seeing. I am off to see a dermatologist next week but I'm sure he will just prescribe another cream and/or oral steroid. I really want to see a naturopath but the initial visit will be $150 (CDN) and the second mandatory visit is another $80. If the dermatologist doesn't give me any help in looking for the cause I will probably make an appointment with the naturopath. Especially now that dd is suffering as well. I'm just so discouraged and overwhelmed. I have spent many nights crying because my hands hurt so much and the simplest tasks like picking up my dd can be so painful.

For myself, I have been taking a multi-vitamin, acidophilus and omega oils. I have tried almost every kind of lotion including plain oils like jojoba and almond. I want to do an elimination diet but because I'm breastfeeding I'm not sure how to approach it (or if I should). I know I can try cutting out one thing at a time but that seems so loooong. I have a friend whos eczema flares up with oatmeal. And oddly enough, I had 2 oatmeal cookies last night and oatmeal for breakfast and by 10am my hands were so itchy and inflamed again. Now they're cracked and bleeding. I think I may cut out oatmeal and see what happens. I should be able to do that

For my dd, we have cut out bathing with soap, switched to a natural, hypo-allergenic laundry soap and used almond oil and glaxal base lotion topically. I want to give her acidophilus and omega oils too but she doesn't really eat solids and what she does eat is finger food so I'm not quite sure how to get it in to her. The acidophilus I can try mixing with water and see if she'll drink it but I'm not sure about the oil.

I have a few questions:

1) Is there anything I can put on my hands when they're cracked and bleeding? Lotions and creams hurt too much and I'm worried of infection.

2) I'm already worried that I might have a bacterial skin infection on my hands and am wondering if the only way I can get my eczema under control is by taking an antibiotic. Seriously, my hands are sooooo painful, red, swollen, hot and sore right now. My family doctor doesn't think so but my SIL had something very similar (she said, when she saw my hands) and she was prescribed an antibiotic.

3) What can I give dd or put on dd that will help with the itching? She tends to scratch at night.

I guess that's it for now. I will definitely be back. This thread has been very helpful.

#141 ·
I just wanted to join in. My five year old has horrible, cracking, peeling and sometimes bleeding eczema on his legs and feet. He does get it on his arms but not nearly as bad. A few times he has gotten it on his belly and neck but not bad at all. He has been this way since infancy. We have done all sorts of things to get rid of it, including an elimination diet, allergy testing, etc. We currently use elidil and if really bad a topical steroid.

#142 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama to one

For myself, I have been taking a multi-vitamin, acidophilus and omega oils. I have tried almost every kind of lotion including plain oils like jojoba and almond. I want to do an elimination diet but because I'm breastfeeding I'm not sure how to approach it (or if I should). I know I can try cutting out one thing at a time but that seems so loooong. I have a friend whos eczema flares up with oatmeal. And oddly enough, I had 2 oatmeal cookies last night and oatmeal for breakfast and by 10am my hands were so itchy and inflamed again. Now they're cracked and bleeding. I think I may cut out oatmeal and see what happens. I should be able to do that

my dad can't handle wheat or oatmeal.....

Quote:
For my dd, we have cut out bathing with soap, switched to a natural, hypo-allergenic laundry soap and used almond oil and glaxal base lotion topically. I want to give her acidophilus and omega oils too but she doesn't really eat solids and what she does eat is finger food so I'm not quite sure how to get it in to her. The acidophilus I can try mixing with water and see if she'll drink it but I'm not sure about the oil.
You can give CLO straight if she will take it. Acidophilus mixes well with water.

Quote:
I have a few questions:

1) Is there anything I can put on my hands when they're cracked and bleeding? Lotions and creams hurt too much and I'm worried of infection.

2) I'm already worried that I might have a bacterial skin infection on my hands and am wondering if the only way I can get my eczema under control is by taking an antibiotic. Seriously, my hands are sooooo painful, red, swollen, hot and sore right now. My family doctor doesn't think so but my SIL had something very similar (she said, when she saw my hands) and she was prescribed an antibiotic.

3) What can I give dd or put on dd that will help with the itching? She tends to scratch at night.

I guess that's it for now. I will definitely be back. This thread has been very helpful.
1. have you tried coconut oil? that is what we put on dd. the ND told dh to get some borage cream/oil, which has worked well and it doesn't burn. Also he is taking CLO, borage, & Flax. I hear walnut oil is good too. Oh you could try placing evening primerose on your hands too.

2. not sure about the antibiotic...not sure how that would help.

3. I would try the borage cream/oil or coconut oil.

((HUGS))

#143 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugsea
Jane -- Where in MA are you? Can you recommend a doctor? I'm dealing with a terrible case of ezcema that is just getting worse and worse and more and more painful.
I am getting to the point where I'm tempted to go to my doctor or to a dermatologist just to be given a steroid (which has worked for me well in the past). But I want to find the root of the problem and fix it. I also catch colds really easily; I feel like there might be a connection there.
I'm in Metro West. Our naturopath was pretty good, the root of the issue with DS is his digestion. www.lexingtonnaturalhealth.com Dr. Braga

Yes, your immune system is the whole cornerstone of this. Try taking vitamin C plus biolflavanoids at every meal. Also extra quercitin, which is an anti histamine. Probiotics.

Have you tried cod liver and evening primrose oils? Work up to 1 tablespoon of CLO (great when bf'ing) and several grams of epo. What other oils/fats do you eat in your diet?

The bad vegetable oils like trans fats and canola (yes canola is bad, see "All About Fats" at www.westonaprice.org) actually compete with the essential fatty acids in your body because of an abundance of omega 6's.

And sugar wreaks havoc with your immune system.

#145 ·
Jane

First of all that website that you linked is fascinating!!!

I'm in the Merrimack Valley, so that's a bit far for us. I'm fairly certain that my ezcema is triggered by stress. I never had it as a child but encountered it when I was in Grad School, again while planning my wedding a year later, and again last summer when I was dealing with anxiety about going back to work part time (have to work for financial reasons). I'm also juggling pre-nursing school at night. Needless to say I am under a lot of stress.
My outbreaks were always easily handled with a steroid. When this one started almost a year ago, I knew a lot more about the cons of medication and decided not to use them. Here I am now, with a ezcema covering my calves and part of one arm.

Yesterday I broke down and refilled an old prescription because I just needed some relief. I can see a difference already this morning. I'm actually studying adrenal cortex hormones right now in school, so I understand how corticosteroids work and why they can be harmful. I'm just hoping to get it under better control, and then tackle the bigger problem. My ezcema itself has been causing me extra stress, so I decided that using the steroid for a short time could be a really good thing for me right now. My daughter has a tiny little eczema-prone patch that I have kept under control beautifully with daily bathing and cetaphil lotion. I feel like if I can get mine under control, maybe I can do the same for myself.

My diet is not the best, but certainly much better than the average American's. I'm not that educated on oils. I tried Flax over the summer and again in December, but I'm so bad at remembering to take it, so I guess I can't truly say if it worked or not. This week I started putting ground flaxmeal in my oatmeal. Probably not enough oil in that, right? Can you give me more info on Cod Liver and Evening Primrose? Why would I need to work up to those amounts? Will it make me sick? Is olive oil also bad? I never knew about the Omega 6 problem until I read about it here. Should I try the Flax Oil again (I still have some in the fridge), or is that too high in 6s?

What are biolflavanoids and quercitin? I eat yogurt (pasteurized, I'd never heard of raw dairy until I read about it here recently) most days, but is that not enough? I don't have yeast problems (although I did prior to my pg, but I also eat better now). I'm working on cutting the sugar down more. Do you mean processed cane sugar or just sugars in general? I use maple syrup in my oatmeal, honey in my tea, etc.

And lastly, are all these supplements okay with bfing? Should I try one thing at a time or try all your suggestions at once? Thanks you so much!!! I feel so much better with this great advice to ponder.

#147 ·
Monique

Yes, the Weston Price nutritional foundation website is quite extraordinary!
Very life changing for me. I'm still making my way thru it and found it almost 2 years ago.

Cod liver oil is better than flax because flax requires the body to convert it. Adding a lot of fats to your diet all at once might cause some tummy upset, that's why it's better to go slow.

Bioflavonoids are the other components of natural vitamin C found in foods. If you supplement regularly with ascorbic acid or sodium ascorbate versions of vitamin C, without the cofactors (bioflavonoids) it is detrimental. Nature knew what she was doing by putting vitamins in food, the chemical forms do have side effects. Quercitin is a particular bioflavonoid actually, it blocks histamine response.

Yes, processed sugar is the big bad. Maple syrup, honey, molasses and other natural whole foods sugars and just fine in moderation b/c the minerals are intact. Therefore they do not strip the body of minerals like white sugar or suppress the immune system.

Store bought yogurt is okay but if you are fighting an immune system problem, it's no where near strong enough as homemade.

I don't know enough about stress specifically how it effects the body but I'm willing to bet it depletes certain nutrients very quickly and that is how it is detrimental in addition to the adrenal action.

#149 ·
Jane I picked up some CLO and Quercetin/C yesterday. How much should I be taking of each? I took a small spoon of CLO last night and again this morning and it didn't bother me at all. Maybe I also need some extra B vitamins for stress. Well, this is a good start anway!

#150 ·
subbing

I've been reading like mad but there is so much info here my head is spinning. lol

I'm currently trying to help DS. He started with just a couple of rough patches as a baby but now it's spread all over his legs and up to his waist line. He used to love to take baths and then suddenly would scream when he had to get in water but it was no wonder...his legs would turn beet red and it felt like they were burning.
We finally got it under control enough that he will take a bath again but we're very careful to always put his Cetaphil lotion on after his bath.

I'm making yogurt again and trying my best to get it into him but he won't eat it. Instead he wants the Stonyfield yogurt drinks. It's better than nothing but I would be much happier if I could get him to eat mine.

DD is 6 months old and already has the same roughness to her legs that DS had at that age so I'm making a yogurt smoothie for myself everyday hoping it will help her. (she's still EBF)

Thanks to all the mama's here who have shared their wisdom and many hugs to all who deal with this.

#151 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugsea
Jane I picked up some CLO and Quercetin/C yesterday. How much should I be taking of each? I took a small spoon of CLO last night and again this morning and it didn't bother me at all. Maybe I also need some extra B vitamins for stress. Well, this is a good start anway!
Work up to a tablespoon of CLO slowly.

I think Vitamin C should be taken with every meal, it gets washed out of the body in one hour. Quercetin I'm not sure of for an adult. DS was getting 250 mg. first once and then twice/day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.