The Eczema Tribe - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 504 Old 03-14-2006, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugsea
Jane I picked up some CLO and Quercetin/C yesterday. How much should I be taking of each? I took a small spoon of CLO last night and again this morning and it didn't bother me at all. Maybe I also need some extra B vitamins for stress. Well, this is a good start anway!
Work up to a tablespoon of CLO slowly.

I think Vitamin C should be taken with every meal, it gets washed out of the body in one hour. Quercetin I'm not sure of for an adult. DS was getting 250 mg. first once and then twice/day.
#152 of 504 Old 03-15-2006, 03:40 PM

Hello! Just thought I'd jump in. My dd recently started getting eczema, first on her arms and now it's everywhere! I changed laundry detergent, switched back to cloth diapers (I was worried about the chem. in disposables...I know, I know) and things just got worse. I've been applying coconut oil in the evenings after her bath but haven't noticed any change with that. It probably does help a lot for moisturization but she's still itchy.

So now after reading all your posts...that took a while... here I am. I've decided to cut out dairy, wheat, soy, eggs, and nuts from both our diets.(Still nursing) I already know she's allergic to tomatoes. I'm really hoping we can nip this in the bud.

We went to the health food store today and purchased acidophilus for the both of us and some liquid homeopathic med. for poison oak that the naturopath there recommended.

I have a question for those of you who are wheat-sensitive. I asked if they had any bread that was wheat/gluten free and she told me that they had the Ezekiel's sprouted wheat bread and that was okay to eat because it isn't turned into flour? I don't really understand. Is it true?

Also, we went to the dr. about 3 weeks ago and he just prescribed Benadryl & Triamcinolone cream but we haven't filled that rx just yet. I'm hoping with dietary changes we can get rid of it.

Thanks for reading this! I'm glad I found a tribe who understands.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#153 of 504 Old 03-15-2006, 06:35 PM

you can do a google and search for the ezekiel 4:9 bread....It is made out of sprouted (which means fermented, i think) wheat berry's..however if you are dealing with a wheat allergy..that wouldn't matter...it would only matter if yeast was the problem because I don't think the bread is made with yeast..
#154 of 504 Old 03-17-2006, 11:11 AM

Hi- I thought I'd join as well. My dd (age almost 6 months) has had eczema since about 3 months old. It's mostly on her face (that's where it gets bad), although she does have the odd dry patch on her chest and legs.

I've cut all the major allergens out of my diet and I had pretty much gotten her face cleared up, but we've had another flare up.

I THINK it was caused by my non-dairy spread - which has soy in it (when I finally read the label - you'd think I'd have learned by now to read before I buy). But that was just over a week ago, and she's still flared up a bit (although better), so I'm not sure.

I think the difficult thing is trying to figure out what is causing the flare ups - it drives you crazy when you think you've got it all figured out, and then her skin gets bad again.
#155 of 504 Old 03-18-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommiska
I think the difficult thing is trying to figure out what is causing the flare ups - it drives you crazy when you think you've got it all figured out, and then her skin gets bad again.
This is the problem when you approach the issue as it's being caused by certain allergens and not the immune system is disfunctioning and needs to be healed. A much larger and more difficult undertaking for sure though.
#156 of 504 Old 03-25-2006, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone. My 5 month old has pretty bad eczema...& I'm so frustrated. I hate how it looks like it's getting better, & the skin is so soft...& then, BAM! It's back. He has it everywhere. His face looks horrible...red, flaky, dry, & wrinkled....like plastic wrap on it. It's on his legs, arms, neck, back. He's a scratching, miserable mess. I exclusively BF. I've been trying Aveeno baths, aveeno cream, aquaphor, aveeno hydrocortizone, & even benadryl because it is bad!!

I'm going to read the previous posts, but wanted to tell my story. He was given loads of antibiotics when he was born for swallowing meconium. I was on two types of antibiotics after he was born for an ear infection...turns out it wasn't an ear infection, but a cholesteatoma (benign tumor).

I have some probiotics in my fridge now...just wondering how to give it to Jadon...he spits out anything that isn't mama's milk.

Gotta go...2 year old smearing poop on the wall...ugh!!!:

#157 of 504 Old 03-25-2006, 02:25 PM

Yep antibiotics (and anything other than bm http://www.massbfc.org/formula/bottle.html) kill the initial laying down of the intestinal flora in a babe.

Mix probiotics with mama milk and put in syringe.
#158 of 504 Old 03-25-2006, 03:28 PM

Thanks Jane...I don't own a breast pump, but will try to express some manually.

I'm just so upset about this....I know the antibiotics did it. Nobody asked permission to give him that crap...I was attempting a homebirth, hoping to avoid all that...

#159 of 504 Old 03-28-2006, 05:21 AM

So glad to have found you guys!!! I'm still sifting through all the pp's. It's so helpful to hear what others are doing!

DS has had eczema (small dry patches and red bumps) off/on since 5 months old. I've done the elim diet twice and got it to clear up temporarily, but still haven't been able to pinpoint the cause. He's 14 months now. It's definitely something I'm eating since he wasn't even eating solid foods when he first started breaking out. Our biggest suspects are soy and anything in a Betty Crocker-type pre-mixed box.

One good thing is that it doesn't seem to ever bother him and we've never seen him scratching. It usually appears first on his thighs/legs then spreads up his body as it worsens. It's only showed in his face a couple times in the form of dry red cheeks. Miraculously it cleared up completely when we were in Hawaii for 10 days...but came back when we returned to Seattle. Could it be the increase of sun, moisture or the large amounts of sunblock he was slathered in all the time? I wasn't eating very differently down there.

So far, the following things prescribed by our Naturopath have helped keep flare-ups at bay: ground oatmeal baths, Cali Baby Calendula Cream following baths, 1/2 tspn fish oil daily (Nordic Natural - orange flavored, ds LOVES it).

Also, before you try out new lotions or creams, be sure to cross-check it first here to make sure it's safe: www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#160 of 504 Old 03-28-2006, 01:45 PM

so i went to pick up our lactulose/mannitol test kit (to test for leaky gut) this morning from our (new) naturopath. for breastfeeding babes, he doesn't recommend any supplements except perhaps probiotics (infant formulation). we also decided that i should do the test first, instead of ds, to see if i have a leaky gut. he also repeatedly said that secretion is the basis of nutrition and that breastfeeding is perfect food for babes because it has already been secreted.

anyhow, after a course of antibiotics (that were useless - he still has the cough and the snotty nose), we're now dealing with yeast - in both ds and me. over the weekend i developed a nasty sore throat (glandular sore) which has now transitioned into a viral scratchy kind of sore throat. and this morning i woke up with hives. i NEVER get hives. so i mentioned the hives to the naturopath and he said that hives were a classic sign of a leaky gut.

in the meantime, we are keeping ds' eczema at bay by avoiding dairy and tomatoes, and using coconut oil internally and externally. he doesn't like lotion anymore.

i did have some success with coconut milk yogurt (an easier source of probiotics for me than pills). it didn't set - rather it turned out to have a kefir-like consistency.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#161 of 504 Old 04-04-2006, 06:38 PM

New Here posting with questions -

11 week old ds was DX'd with eczema last week - rash covering most of his body. The dermatologists prescribed Derasmoothe oil to get it under control and Mimyx cream for maintenance.

know eczema is caused by an allergy and I've recently read that babies with food allergies have a red ring around their anus. My ds does not have this so does that mean that his is likely not a food allergy but other - pet, environment, etc.? I started Dr. Sears Elim Diet on Monday and I'm wondering if it's necessary if he does not have the "red ring" and that I should concentrate on other allergens.

Does/did anyone elses child have eczema covering their whole body? Did the patches come and go (back to baby soft skin) or does it just stay sandpaper like?

From spending most of the last few days researching, my plan of attck is below - can you advise, add, comment on anything that you think might help.

vitamin A (mycelized vitamin A drops, 5000 IU, 1 drop a day)
Evening Primrose Oil (1 500mg capsule, squeezed, twice a day)
Cod Liver Oil (1/2 tsp, twice a day)
Baby probotics as per bottle dosage
Coating with Eucerin twice a day (morn and after nightly RINSE)
Him sleeping with mittens to reduce face scratching
Him wearing all cotton clothing, sheets, etc.

Thanks for any info.

Edited to say started Elim diet on Monday - rather than Starting next Monday.
#162 of 504 Old 04-04-2006, 06:56 PM

My dd never had a red ring around her anus, just cried and had splotches of eczema. She is now 3 1/2 and allergic to peanuts, sesame and eggs, and sensitive to dairy and tomatoes. Be careful about he CLO, some kids are sensitive/allergic to fish. I am curious why the elimination isn't started right away. It takes 3-5 days for most foods to be out of the system, however, dairy can take up to 90 days to clear out.
#163 of 504 Old 04-04-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Does/did anyone elses child have eczema covering their whole body?
Here! My DS just saw the Dr because it was so bad. Dr. labled it "severe" even though it's not weeping. He prescribed topicort, & also gave me a referral to a dermatologist. Gotta run, baby crying!

#164 of 504 Old 04-04-2006, 08:26 PM

Thanks for this tribe... I've been lurking in the allergies forum for awhile soaking up the info and trying what felt appropriate.

Okay, so I have not yet read through the entire list of eczema stories and cures that people have found but here's mine:

My Darius started getting eczema when he was 2 weeks old, about the same time he also started getting cradle cap, colicky and developed a severe diaper rash (there were open sores all round his little bum hole). The doctor told me that he had baby acne, that the cradle cap and the colic would go away eventually and gave me an antifungal for the diaper rash. The eczema (not baby acne) got worse, so did the colic and the cream didn't help his little bootie at all. I gave up all cow's milk products and but breast milk on his butt... the rash went away and so did the colic... the eczema got better but didn't go away. His dr. gave me a steroid for his eczema which was all over his face, legs and arms. I used it for ten days and when I stopped the eczema came right back. I continued to use it a little bit on really bad patches until I found Florasone... which seems to help but is not a cure.

The things that I think exacerbate it are: dairy, eggs, tomatoes, and oranges. I've given up all these but he still gets eczema now on his chest and face, especially his cheeks. His cradle cap is now basically gone... when it comes back I rub down his head with olive oil. I bath him every other day with natural baby shampoo, don't use soap and cover him in Aquaphor right after the bath and every morning.

A few weeks ago he had a bad flareup so I started using the steroid on him again. It started to go down but then he (and I) developed thrush and the eczema came back even when I was using the drugs. I took him to an herbalist who gave me chloraphil (for me and for him), homeopathic eczema drops (for him), a homeopathic skin detox (I take it), as well as a gentle cleanse (for me). I'm now taking all these in addition to probiotics, betaine, vitamin c, garlic and a whole-food multi vitamin supplement. I feel like I'm leaving something out from the list of pills.

I also avoided wheat, yeast and as much sugar as I could... but my will is weak... until his thrush went away. Then, a miracle, his eczema cleared up... but the other day it came back and he's starting to get a diaper rash. I'm heartbroken. I think I need to steer clear of wheat and yeast again. I think he has a yeast imbalance which all the problems are related to. The real problem is beer... I love dark beer and it's good for my breast milk production. I don't drink much, three or four a week, but I think I have to give it up.

Sorry for taking up so much space and time. Love you all and thanks for being here.
#165 of 504 Old 04-04-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-shine01
vitamin A (mycelized vitamin A drops, 5000 IU, 1 drop a day)
Can you link me to info on above. I'm not familiar with it and want to make sure it's not the chemical form of A. Which kind of CLO are you doing? You need to check the dosage of A & D vitamins to make sure it's not too much or too little.

DelFuego, sounds just like my DS!
#166 of 504 Old 04-04-2006, 11:03 PM

Red ring around anus is not food allergies necessarily ... can be yeast/bacteria. Intestinal flora imbalance.

This is so common it's ridiculous drs don't get a clue! I knew this myself when it happened to DS (b/c I also had thrush while bf'ing and more digestive issues than usual) and both my Ped and ND poo-poo'd it.

OH wait, the intestinal flora... which is the cornerstone of our immune and digestive system, functions like another organ, and we would DIE if it was totally wiped out... is ignored by mainstream doctors. Yeah, okay.
#167 of 504 Old 04-05-2006, 01:45 PM

JaneS... i've read alot of your posts in the allergy forum... esp "not sure if allergies really are allergies" thread.

i'm trying alot of different things for ds so it's hard to say what's working and what's not. have you found any one thing that stands out as a trigger or a remedy? do you also suspect, as i do, that your ds's eczema is a yeast issue?

thanks for all your info and for being such an awesome mama!
#168 of 504 Old 04-05-2006, 04:16 PM

ok so i just checked out your cheat sheet. so much great info! thanks!
#169 of 504 Old 04-05-2006, 10:06 PM

Yes, I do suspect it's yeast/bacteria or both. They release toxins, including volatile fatty acids which raises intestinal acidity. Maybe the toxins are what provokes a histamine response I don't know for sure. But he had enough flares and concurrent poopy symptoms that it was just so very obvious. It all started with giving him rice cereal as his first food. Yeast diaper rash from hell that our Ped said wasn't yeast. My nipples told me differently however.

Our story is linked on the Healing the Gut Tribe second page as part of the Roll Call this month.

He's had one stool test a year ago that shows bad bacteria dominant... klebsiella, citrobacter and proteus. We are now waiting for another. But the gut flora is constantly changing and stool tests are notoriously skewed.

Surprisingly his eczema has been excellent, just the tops of his feet, his hot spots, flare every once in a while (again, correlated with diarrhea and sleep issues, etc etc.) I attribute the skin staying stable to the continued use of cod liver and evening primrose oil.
#170 of 504 Old 04-06-2006, 01:16 AM

I'm feeling so overwhelmed! Not only does my son have severe eczema, but thrush too....it really is all connected, isn't it?? I'm pretty sure I have yeast overgrowth too. Jadon is on nystatin, I've been using gentian violet, & two different probiotics. I'll get my finger wet & feed some probiotics to Jadon too....he is exclusively BF. I'm worried that my diet is a factor...if I have to eliminate certain foods, I think I'm going to starve!! I love my granola cereal with soy milk...I love scrambled eggs...I love ice cream....I love cheese!! Wahhhhh! Oh, & I love my peanut butter. I really hope his clears up without me having to sacrifice too much.

There is so much good info here, but it really is overwhelming me. I don't know what to start with!! I bought some flax seed oil tonight. Maybe that'll do some good too...I'm rambling now....I just want my baby boy's beautiful skin back!!

#171 of 504 Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 AM

Isn't it 'funny' how so many of us independently conclude that yeast is involved in our dc's eczema? And how our health practitioners poo-poo it? The most angry I have been in recent memory was sitting in our (ex-) homeopath's office and asking him to discuss the involvement of yeast, as Rosie's eczema cleared up BEAUTIFULLY when I treated us both (gentian violet on my nipples, no sugars and grapefruit seed extract for me). He basically told me I was being ridiculous, that the issue was a genetic predisposition for E (both myself and dh have it), and that "when there's an elephant in the room, you don't say 'oh, look, a mouse!'".
Grrrr.
#172 of 504 Old 04-06-2006, 01:19 PM

yes it is 'funny'. my 'holistic pediatrician' just told me last week that the yeast thing hadn't been "proven". i believe there are alot of modern medical practices that haven't been "proven" but this particular theory makes alot of sense especially when we are all seeing the same thing over and over and when dietary changes help so much. the diet thing is hard and maybe that's why so many people are willing to just say "babies get eczema." on top of all the other changes that being a new mom brings i've had to completely relearn how to prepare food and what to eat. i really miss my comfort foods and i often cheat.

JaneS... you said that your ds's eczema seemed to be related to sleeping problems? how so? my darius has always had a difficult time getting to sleep... it seems that he just has a really hard time shutting down his active little brain... even when he's so sleepy i can see it in his eyes.

i put some butt paste on ds's face last night and this morning all the red was gone, i could still feel the rough patches but they seemed to bother him much less. duh... zinc is good for skin.
#173 of 504 Old 04-06-2006, 01:23 PM

btw... has anyone read "The PH Miracle"? it often sounds like an infomercial and there's no way i could have as strict a diet as their prescribing but i've incorporated alot of their suggestions into my diet. it seems to not only have helped ds's skin but i have alot more energy and don't get headaches so much anymore.
#174 of 504 Old 04-08-2006, 01:58 PM

Probiotics, antibiotics, yeast and eczema.

Quote:
The gut flora of healthy individuals is very stable (Sears et al., 1950,19-%); this stability may in part be due to interbacterial inhibition (Sprunt and Redman, 1968). Alteration in the level of normal flora by antibiotics has long been known to allow secondary infection by pathogenic bacteria and yeasts (Keefer, 1951; Seelig, 1966).

Occasional publications describe abnormal fecal flora in patients with atopic eczema. Kuvaeva et al. (1984) studied 60 infants in Moscow with IgE mediated food allergy and eczema. They reported a decrease in anaerobic bacteria and lactic acid-producing aerobes and an increase of Enterobacteriaceae. Severity of eczema was directly proportional to severity of dysbiosis. No control data are given. Ionescu et al. (1986) studied fecal flora in children and adults with atopic eczema. Compared with healthy controls, there was a marked reduction in Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium and Enteroccoccus species in the great majority of cases. This was associated with increased concentrations of Candida species, Proteus, Klebsiella, and Staphylococcus allreus, and appearance of atypical coliforms and Clostridium innocutan.. The high frequency of hypoalbumenernia, indicanuria and steatorrhea in the eczema group suggested small bowel bacterial overgrowth with secondary malabsorption. In neither of these studies is it possible to determine whether abnormal bowel flora caused allergy or whether food-allergic disease destabilized gut flora.
http://mdheal.org/microbes.htm
#175 of 504 Old 04-08-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfuego
btw... has anyone read "The PH Miracle"? it often sounds like an infomercial and there's no way i could have as strict a diet as their prescribing but i've incorporated alot of their suggestions into my diet. it seems to not only have helped ds's skin but i have alot more energy and don't get headaches so much anymore.
Interesting that you mention this right now... I've determined that DS has an acid imbalance but have just started looking into it.

What are you doing?
#176 of 504 Old 04-08-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfuego
JaneS... you said that your ds's eczema seemed to be related to sleeping problems? how so? my darius has always had a difficult time getting to sleep... it seems that he just has a really hard time shutting down his active little brain... even when he's so sleepy i can see it in his eyes.

i put some butt paste on ds's face last night and this morning all the red was gone, i could still feel the rough patches but they seemed to bother him much less. duh... zinc is good for skin.
I've done the butt paste thing on DS's feet when he was little and had it really bad!

It's his gut dysbiosis that is related to the sleeping problems.

I've done a lot of reading about the gut-brain connection... the gut produces the neurotrasmitters, makes perfect sense. Yeast and bacteria produce alcohol like toxins and volatile fatty acids. Ever drink too much and have very interrupted sleep?

If foods are not being broken down properly, the peptides can create opiate like compounds (gluten and dairy peptides are well studied in the ASD community) which effect behavior, like kids get high off them and them have a crash.

Personally I experienced it too ... horrible insomnia, buzzing anxiety, couldn't fall asleep/shut my brain off. Woke during night and stayed awake. All related to digestion... to fermentable foods such as grains, potatoes, corn, sugar that I wasn't digesting properly and they were feeding the bad gut bugs. I understand the issue with my DS only too well. Sadly, I was able to heal myself but DS is still being a tough nut to crack.

Right now we are awaiting stool tests from Great Smokies with a holistic Ped that will probably px herbs. And doing homeopathy. In addition to diet, the SCD, that worked with me but not with him.
#177 of 504 Old 04-08-2006, 03:19 PM

Jane,

You are heaven-sent....my mind is whirling with all this awesome info you are providing....wow...a gut-brain connection?? Off to look at that too!!

#178 of 504 Old 04-08-2006, 03:33 PM

thank you.

The 2 best books I've found on the gut brain issues relating to food and digestion are:

"Breaking the Vicious Cycle"
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info

"Enzymes for Autism" or "Enzymes for Digestive Health" (they are both the same)
www.enzymestuff.com

Lots of info on their sites too. Let me know if you find anything else interesting.

There's another thread on this here at MDC but I cannot find now b/c apparently "gut" is too small a word for the search function. :
#179 of 504 Old 04-08-2006, 03:38 PM

The Gut-Brain Connection
Recent studies show that functional GI symptoms are not necessarily the result of dysfunction in the bowel, but may be due to disturbances in brain-gut pathways.
By Harvard Health Reports

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml?s...catref=bcat143

Quote:
Emotions
It's no secret. Emotions often find their outlet in the gut. Nerves, stresses, emotional upsets, mental problems, and other psychological factors can wreak havoc with the GI tract. That's because the brain and the gastrointestinal system are intimately connected.

The entire journey of food through the 30-foot-long digestive tract is quarterbacked by a remarkable communication network known as the enteric nervous system (ENS). This intricate nerve complex is located in the gut wall and communicates with the brain via the spinal cord. In turn, hormones, neurotransmitters, and connections to the central nervous system that affect muscle, mucosa, and blood vessels in the digestive tract influence the ENS.

The ENS communicates with the brain, first via the sympathetic nerves that pass to and from the gut through transformers called sympathetic ganglia. These nerves connect to the spinal cord and then to the base of the brain. In addition, parasympathetic nerves link to the base of the brain via the vagus nerve from the upper gut or the sacral nerves from the colon. The gut and brain use neurotransmitters to send electrochemical messages to one another by way of these nerves. Scientists say that this complex, sophisticated "gut-brain" system is nearly the equal of the body's central nervous system.

Recent imaging studies of the brain show that functional GI symptoms are not necessarily the result of dysfunction in the bowel, but may be due to disturbances in brain-gut pathways that alter pain thresholds, control movement through and contractions of the GI tract, and influence behavior. [Jane note: except that what is or is not produced in a malfunctioning bowel produces the raw materials for the brain.]

We know that the brain has a direct effect on the stomach if only because the thought of eating can set off the stomach's appetite juices even before food gets there. But the action goes both ways. A troubled intestine can send signals to the brain just as a troubled brain can send signals to the gut. A patient's distressed gut might, therefore, be as much the cause as the product of depression.
#180 of 504 Old 04-08-2006, 11:11 PM

wow Jane..keep the info coming....wish you were close and I could pick your brain face to face..hehe...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page