The Eczema Tribe - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2006, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallieb
I have a 2 month old son, and it's looking more and more like he's going to inherit my genes He rubs his eyes and face constantly, he's been really stuffy at night, and he's got some dry patches on his cheeks and the creases of his elbows and knees.
My 9 month old does this, too - rubs his eyes and face constantly. What does it mean? I've been trying to figure out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2006, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My almost 7 month old does the same thing. I think his face gets really itchy...even his eyelids get all red.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
My 9 month old does this, too - rubs his eyes and face constantly. What does it mean? I've been trying to figure out.
It sounds like some kind of allergy to me. Have you read, "Is This My Child" by Doris Rapp? http://www.drrapp.com/
Old 05-06-2006, 01:29 AM

No, but I'm about to see if my library has it so I can. Thanks
Old 05-06-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS

Amanda,
Where are you getting the mattress? I'm in the market for a new one.
I am actually buying a futon mattress to go on my king size bed, it is a 9 layer one and it has some foam just in the core to hold its shape, but the rest of the layers are natural. I don't want to sleep on metal sprung mattresses any more.

Need to declutter my bedroom and cut down any excess fabrics around that dust mites can live in (will probably help my asthma too). Am off to buy some organic sheets and blankets for my bed, throw out the old- probably dust mite filled duvet!!!!

Amanda treehugger.gif , UK Mum, married to airline pilot Davesurf.gif . Mum to Emily blahblah.gif (20), Jasmine  dust.gif(11) and Theo fencing.gif(7):

Old 05-06-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie75
How do I give coconut oil to DS? How do I melt it, & how much do I give to kill the yeasties?? I was thinking coconut oil was more of a supplement, & it was going to say how much to give....like my omega 3/6/9 oil....
Work up to 3 T. or more yourself... the Medium Chain Fatty Acids go through your breastmilk. CO will increase the beneficial lauric acid in your bm.

Use it exclusively to cook with, stir frys, baking, etc. Put in smoothies. Use coconut milk to make soups or smoothies (the canned full fat coconut milk is very high in oil).
Old 05-06-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
At least with my ds, I think it's because he itches. I still rub my face like that somtimes. I definitely think he has an environmental allergen but I'm still working on trying to figure out what it is.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:42 PM

Jane...I love you!!

Old 05-06-2006, 11:35 PM

Effects of trans fats

Quote:
Passwater: Why are trans fats a problem?

Enig: The various mechanisms through which the trans fatty acids disrupt function are related in part to the ability of trans fatty acids to inhibit the function of membrane related enzymes such as the delta-6 desaturase resulting in decreased conversion of e.g., linoleic acid to gamma-linolenic acid or arachidonic acid; interference with the necessary conversion of omega-3 fatty acids to their elongated tissue omega-3 fatty acids; and escalation of the adverse effects of essential fatty acid deficiency.

This latter effect was shown especially by the work of Dr. Holman and his colleagues at the Hormel Institute at the University of Minnesota, the other effects have been shown by many researchers including the University of Maryland researchers.

http://www.mercola.com/2000/jun/10/trans_fats.htm
Trans fats are transferring thru breastfeeding as well.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Jane...I love you!!
: thank you, I try!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:16 AM

There are 250 posts here and I've read them all - several times now and I'm so confused & depressed trying to figure this all out. My tiny baby (4 months today) is a scratched up, oozing bloody mess head to toe and I just want to cry.

Probiotics, EPO, Elim diet, calendula cream, emu oil, coconut oil, flax oil, fish oil, 100 cotton, no fabric softner, extra rinse, blah, blah blah. I've tied it all.

I'm doing the elim diet with no results (I know it can take months) but damn!

I want my baby to feel better and not be scratching all night long. I want to stop spending HOURS on the computer reading about eczema. I want to stop scanning his nails for any sign of growth so that I can race in with the clippers. I want people to stop saying, "Oh! What happened to him?" I want my Derm to stop pushing steriods down my throat. I want to quit freaking out if my 3 year old daughter kisses her brother with peanut butter lips or touches him after she has just eaten a bananna incase he's allergic to them. I want the BLEEPING cat to stop napping in the co-sleeper when I forget to block her requiring me to take the entire thing apart and scald-wash the thing. I want to be done with eczema and I'm terrifed that we've only just begun. Above all, I just want my baby to feel better.

Okay - I think I'm done. Whew. Midnight rantings.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:37 AM

(((hugs)))
Old 05-10-2006, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-shine01
There are 250 posts here and I've read them all - several times now and I'm so confused & depressed trying to figure this all out. My tiny baby (4 months today) is a scratched up, oozing bloody mess head to toe and I just want to cry.

Probiotics, EPO, Elim diet, calendula cream, emu oil, coconut oil, flax oil, fish oil, 100 cotton, no fabric softner, extra rinse, blah, blah blah. I've tied it all.

I want my baby to feel better and not be scratching all night long. I want to stop spending HOURS on the computer reading about eczema. I want to stop scanning his nails for any sign of growth so that I can race in with the clippers. I want people to stop saying, "Oh! What happened to him?" I want my Derm to stop pushing steriods down my throat. I want to quit freaking out if my 3 year old daughter kisses her brother with peanut butter lips or touches him after she has just eaten a bananna incase he's allergic to them. I want the BLEEPING cat to stop napping in the co-sleeper when I forget to block her requiring me to take the entire thing apart and scald-wash the thing. I want to be done with eczema and I'm terrifed that we've only just begun. Above all, I just want my baby to feel better.

Oh mama, I am so sorry
As time passes, he will get better with all of your holistic, amazing work. It just takes so darn long. I think you should hop over to healing the gut tribe. It will be an extra leg of support on top of this one.
Can your cat go stay with someone for a week or so to see if that relieves some of your stress????? I just imagined myself in your scenario and the cat would put me over the edge
Old 05-10-2006, 10:30 AM

Oh my gosh, you and your little one are going through a lot! Have you tried either NAET or NMT? Some people have success with those when nothing else works. It might be worth it since you've been through everything else with little luck. Here's one thread that discusses NAET
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...highlight=NAET

If you go to the allergies forum under health and healing, you can search using NAET or NMT and find other threads.

Here are the main websites about each technique:
http://www.naet.com/
http://www.neuromodulationtechnique.com/

Seems like different practitioners do it differently, but the NAET practitioner we went with was going to have to "clear" me of everything first to use me as a surrogate to treat dd. While I was being cleared, dd was going to have to be in another room! for 45 minutes-at 5 mo of age, that was not going to work. The NMT practitioner we went to was way more flexible and we only had 4 treatments. I think it did improve the situation, although she also gave us this wonderful Chinese Pearl Powder creme to use which also worked well.

Something will work for you, I am sure!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:10 AM

Does anyone here know how to make their own lotion? I can't find a simple lotion, so I decided to try to make my own. I plan on getting some vegetable glycerine & other things from mountainroseherbs.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-12-2006, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Does anyone here know how to make their own lotion? I can't find a simple lotion, so I decided to try to make my own. I plan on getting some vegetable glycerine & other things from mountainroseherbs.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I found a great lotion at www.lucky-ducky.com and it was formulated with eczema in mind. I mix in some emu oil with it. It seems to be working nicely for my dd.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-shine01

Oh- hugs to you. Eczema is just awful, isn't it? You so want your baby to just feel comfortable.

I second the recommendation to check out the 'Healing the Gut' tribe thread. I have been fighting eczema with my dd for 5 months now - and trying everything you've mentioned, as well as eliminating just about everything from my diet, but I resisted the SCD because I didn't have any of the symptoms.

But I finally started it this past week, and dd's face (where she gets her eczema the worst) is almost clear. I really am amazed, but I so wish I'd tried this earlier.

It might be just a fluke, I guess, as she has cleared up a bit in the past and then gotten worse again, but this is the clearest her skin has been and the longest it's been clear, so I'm hopeful.

Hang in there...this is such a tough one.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:40 AM

subbing

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Old 05-17-2006, 05:41 AM

oops double post

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Old 05-21-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is pretty easy to make your own lotion. It is basically an oil/water emulsion, like making mayonnaise, if you have ever made that.

A basic formula for cream comes from the book "Earthly Bodies & Heavenly Hair" by Dina Falconi: 6 oz. liquid oil, 3 oz solid oil, 1 oz beeswax and 9 oz distilled water. Heat the oils plus beeswax in a pan on the stove until melted. Have the water in a blender with the center of the lid removed (if possible). Once the oil is melted, take off the stove and let cool slightly-if you start to see anything congeal, go to the next step immediately. Turn on the blender and slowly-in a stream-pour the oil into the water while it is blending. You will see the liquids turn into cream! Store the lotion in the refrig. and take out small amounts as you need every few days. For clean up, wipe utensils w/ a rag then wash in hot soapy water.

If you want the lotion to be thinner, use less beeswax. Also, you can try using a little grapefruit seed extract in the water mixture or add Vit E oil (from capsules) near the end of blending to act as preservatives... but I still find if you leave all the lotion out at room temp it will start to go bad before you can use it all up. Some liquid may separate out of the lotion as it is stored.

You can find almond oil in the food section of a grocery store, as well as other oils like apricot kernel oil. For solids I like shea butter, coconut oil, and cocoa butter. You can use aloe vera gel for part of the water potion. Every time I make mine I vary the recipe slightly and I have yet to find a favorite combination of things!
Old 05-26-2006, 01:15 PM

I got a notification of a post by DelFuego and now I cannot find it to answer her...

Your question was whether one thing stood out as a trigger or remedy for my DS. Yes, cow dairy is a big trigger (although he can do goat yogurt and butter just fine).

And yes, yeast a trigger too. I think we have gotten rid of the yeast but possibly it was just replaced with bacteria (we've had stool tests done showing bad bacterial issues) that we are still fighting with gut problems. He still has hot spots on his feet which could be fungal I don't know.

By far I think diet is a remedy, including beneficial oils and immune support with probiotics, etc. However, I know many of you have tried these things and despaired they are not working... it takes both time and the right dosage and kind of each to fix whatever deficiency you and/or your babe has. That the tough thing, really figuring that out.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:20 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/lis...Fencoding=UTF8

Just came across this today... it looks really interesting.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:52 PM

Well, Jadon is having a severe flare up. There isn't one part of his body that's not red. I am calling our family Dr. tomorrow. His lymph nodes are REALLY swollen (more than usual) & he has a big lump on his head below his ear...I'm assuming it's another node....it can move slightly, but almost feels like bone.

Behind his ears are raw, weepy & crusty.

The dermatop is the only thing that works, but I stopped using it....it scares me to use it all over his body almost everyday.

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm tired of forcing the oils & probiotics down his throat...while he screams & chokes. It would be easier if he was bottle fed...I could just put the stuff in there. I'm so tired of my baby suffering.

Should I get allergy tests done on him? Or would it show up as him being allergic to everything?

ETA: Oh yea...his tongue is still white.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:01 PM

(((HUGS))) to mama & baby....poor thing.

As for allergy testing...do you have someone who practices applied kinesiology?
usually chiropractors pracitice it. It is a very non evasive way to test for allergies and is usually more accurate than traditional allergy testing. or you could look for a NAET practioner.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:06 PM

What kind of oils are you using? My dd reacts to fish oil and flax oil, go figure? Probiotics, 10 minute baths and major moisturizing and elimating allergic foods. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:20 PM

Wow, I just found this thread. Haven't read the whole thing yet, but would appreciate some advice... I just got hired full time and am about to get health insurance (after about 3 mo without) so we will be going to a new doc (and, I hope, getting a referral to a naturopath or some other alternative practitioner). Any ideas about specific questions I should be asking the new ped, to get us going in the right direction asap? I am totally feeling like we've hit dead end after dead end.

The background:

DS is 2.5 and has had eczema since birth. If anything, it's gotten worse. It's mainly in his wrists, elbows, and knees, always red and crusty, often weepy, and sometimes even bloody.

The allergist did a blood test on him and said he was allergic to dust mites only, but I hear those tests are not reliable.

Things that have helped:
- no soap
- vanicream lotion
- olive oil
- neosporin when it's really bad
- zyrtec
- children's claritin

Things that have definitely not helped:
- prescription steroid cream/cortizone
- benadryl
- oatmeal baths
- milk baths
- calendula baths
- nettle tea
- dandelion tea
- eliminating wheat
- eliminating dairy
- moving away from the roaches and mice

Things that may or may not help, it's hard to tell:
- $200 worth of bed covering, recommended by the allergist, to help with the dust mites
- cetaphil instead of soap
- frequent vaccuuming
- frequent laundry
Old 05-29-2006, 09:05 PM

My sister is an RN and works for a Dermatologist/Allergist. She said they never do allergy testing before age 9 (in her office anyway). Children with eczema usually test postive for everything at this young age.

I tried food elimination and nothing made a difference in dd's case. Eczema is on both sides of the family, unfortunately.

We use:

*Eucerin Cream (not lotion) in the huge jar every night b4 bed, along with *Eczema Salve made by Wiseways Herbals (avail at health food store or at wiseways.com) on any sores or bad areas.
*Benedryl works for us.....and
*cod liver oil and
*Vit E (internally).

We also use for baths:
*Oil Of Olay Complete Body wash w/Shea butter for extra dry skin...along with no long soaks in the tub and using
*almond oil when she gets out b4 the Eucerin Cream.

Right now she looks great, now that the heaters are off and spring weather is here.

the key is finding what works for you....bc of where you live and what brings it on....what works for one might not work for all. My mom had it all her life (all over her body, really bad) and when she turned 19 and became a mother, it disappeared and never returned.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsmom
My sister is an RN and works for a Dermatologist/Allergist. She said they never do allergy testing before age 9 (in her office anyway). Children with eczema usually test postive for everything at this young age.
:
interesting... do you know why that is? if little kids usually test pos for everything, is it significant that ds only tested for dust mites?
Old 05-29-2006, 09:13 PM

hmmmmmm.....Ill ask her.

I do know dd got alot better when I started keeping the cats out of her room and vacuumed/dusted, and got rid of most of her stuffed animals. The ones she has in her room I periodically put in the dryer to kill mites (dont know if that works but saw it on TV)
Old 05-30-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillamama
Wow, I just found this thread. Haven't read the whole thing yet, but would appreciate some advice... I just got hired full time and am about to get health insurance (after about 3 mo without) so we will be going to a new doc (and, I hope, getting a referral to a naturopath or some other alternative practitioner). Any ideas about specific questions I should be asking the new ped, to get us going in the right direction asap? I am totally feeling like we've hit dead end after dead end.

The background:

DS is 2.5 and has had eczema since birth. If anything, it's gotten worse. It's mainly in his wrists, elbows, and knees, always red and crusty, often weepy, and sometimes even bloody.

The allergist did a blood test on him and said he was allergic to dust mites only, but I hear those tests are not reliable.

Things that have helped:
- no soap
- vanicream lotion
- olive oil
- neosporin when it's really bad
- zyrtec
- children's claritin

Things that have definitely not helped:
- prescription steroid cream/cortizone
- benadryl
- oatmeal baths
- milk baths
- calendula baths
- nettle tea
- dandelion tea
- eliminating wheat
- eliminating dairy
- moving away from the roaches and mice

Things that may or may not help, it's hard to tell:
- $200 worth of bed covering, recommended by the allergist, to help with the dust mites
- cetaphil instead of soap
- frequent vaccuuming
- frequent laundry
GM s

I have incredible news: my ds' eczema, which he has had in all the same spots as your ds, since he was one year old, are now nearly totally gone. I attribute this to www.naet.com. I was starting to feel skeptical about naet, but after reading your post just now I realize how far we have come. He sleeps better, his skin is better, he can eat anything with no reactions. It is so much better now.

Also, some interesting news:
when we started NAET we found out that ds was allergic to (and subsequently treated for and "cleared" of the following; meaning that he now no longer allergic to):
oats, including products like aveeno oat bath
calendula, like the stuff that is supposed to be so good for eczema
wheat/gluten
dairy
berries
eggs
corn
and a whole slew of other stuff.

Also, the steroidal cream has never ever worked. But a couple of weeks ago when he had a flare up that was tied to a virus/fever, we got a prescription, and it DID work. A prescription which we have used several times before with no results. Now I am hoping to not have to put any more prescriptions on him ever. And I hope to never use zyrtec or and other drug/medication.

This might be an answer for you.

More s for you and your adorable ds!

User Tag List