Why do my feet swell in the evenings? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-08-2005, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know what would make my feet swell up in the evenings?

It happens around 9 p.m. or thereabouts. Almost every evening. Some are worse than others, although I haven't a clue why.

I drink quite a bit of water during the day - so I don't think it's lack of water consumption.

This has been happening for around the past year, ever since I was a few months postpartum with DS. I never noticed it before I got pregnant.

I bought a few new pairs of shoes, and figured out that in the evenings, my feet swell up and I stretched the new shoes all out!

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,
#2 of 8 Old 06-09-2005, 12:25 AM

Do you have any blood pressure issues? That would be my first guess. My friend's mom had bp issues due to kidney disease (she had kidney disease for 30 years) and she would swell up a lot.

My next guess is are you on your feet alot? Do your feet hurt at the end of the day or are really hot? I know if I get overheated, my fingers will swell a little.

These might help -

http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/tp17753.asp

http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/aa12924.asp
#3 of 8 Old 06-09-2005, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks for the info. Anytime my bp is checked, it has been normal. If I had bp issues, could it not show up with intermittant checks?

We no longer have insurance because I'm a SAHM, so I can't readily ask my doc about it anymore. I'm not sure if I should worry about it enough to pay for a visit and get checked out, or not.
#4 of 8 Old 06-09-2005, 11:23 AM

I think if you've always had normal bp, then you're probably okay in that department - unless you've had like rapid heart beating episodes.

Maybe check your salt intake? Too much sodium can cause you to retain water I think (it could be the opposite, I'm not a doctor, I just watch them on tv :LOL )

I do think that since it's an ongoing problem, it should get checked out. But that's just me - I know that if I think there's something wrong with me, it'll just stress me out to no end until I finally get an answer. Plus, since you have no insurance, your doctor might not charge you as much - many docs have different rates for insured and uninsured (and uninsured is cheaper).
#5 of 8 Old 06-09-2005, 01:23 PM

Definitly cut back on salt intake, watch out for that hidden salt. Your body is retaining water. If it is only at night and only in your feet it probably isn't a concern. I have unexplained swelling, it gets worse in the summer when it gets hotter out or if I'm in a hot(anything hotter than room temp) room during the winter. I don't believe in the use of air conditioning. I have been like this since I was pg with my 2nd. I swelled up during the pregnancy, it wasn't bad though. She was 3months when I got pg with my last and I swelled up really really bad with that one. With both of those pg's they were watching for pre-eclampsia, I had all the symptoms except no protein. After my last was born it took 6months for the water retention to leave, but it was getting colder out. Ever since I swell up bad. My bp had gone up but it has been down to my normal low for the last year. My dd is 3, it took 2.5years for my bp to lower. The dr's don't know why I swell up, not that they're actively looking for reasons either. I am on a beta blocker because I get arrhythmia that they also don't know why I get. On my worst swollen days I can't see(until I get moving then it gets better) because my face is so swollen when I wake up. My feet swell so much my toes don't touch the floor when I walk. It started a few weeks ago and for the first time I took diurectics for 5 days. That helped so much, it took the full 5 days to start to notice anything but I ended up losing where I had gained and didn't realize it was water in those areas.
#6 of 8 Old 06-09-2005, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekyboo
I think if you've always had normal bp, then you're probably okay in that department - unless you've had like rapid heart beating episodes.
Um, actually I do have some rapid heart beating episodes. What does THAT mean?? That has happened since I got pregnant - figured it would go away once I had the baby, but it hasn't. But, also, I was hospital bedrest for several months while pregnant, and I haven't started working out yet : so maybe it could be related to all of that - my body is still kind of weak and my heart has atrophied, maybe. Plus, I'm severly overweight... that doesn't help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
Definitly cut back on salt intake, watch out for that hidden salt. Your body is retaining water. If it is only at night and only in your feet it probably isn't a concern. I have unexplained swelling, it gets worse in the summer...
You know, my feet got kind of swollen and gross feeling in the evening for a couple of days there, and I had a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper in the house (so wasn't drinking as much water as normal) and also was trying to polish off a chicken and rice casserole, which only tastes good to me if I SMOTHER it in salt.

So, maybe it's salt/water related? I am going to cut way back on salt and make sure I'm drinking enough water to make sure that's not the problem.

Thanks so much to both of you for your help. I've decided to start working out again on a daily basis (starting very slow of course). I don't know if that will help with these issues I'm having, but it won't hurt and will sure make me feel stronger and such.
#7 of 8 Old 06-09-2005, 11:49 PM

Rapid heartrate and nightly swelling can be symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Thyroid problems often develop after childbirth.
#8 of 8 Old 06-12-2005, 12:45 AM

The rapid heartbeat is arrhythmia which is what I have and the dr's can't explain. I have to take beta blockers to control my heartrate. When I started the beta blockers it wasn't that bad or I didn't realize how bad it was. Now if I skip more than 1 day walking downstairs has it flying and I can't breathe. There are lots of times I wonder if it is a side effect of the medication but I don't feel I can go off of it to find out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page