Sierra's journey to healing after 10 months of vomiting/"allergies" - Please read! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-13-2005, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, first I want to say a heartfelt thank you to all the good mamas and good papa who have sent me encouragement and advice over the past year. I don't know what I would have done without MDC. We had moved from Denver to NYC just one month before Sierra became sick. I was already horribly homesick and dying for the mountains. There were days last winter (when the skies were gray and Sierra was so sick (I would spend the WHOLE day desperately trying to get food into her and she would just vomit almost everything up) when some of you would send such kind words and hugs over the web that I would just sit at my computer and cry. I'm a nurse and I had no idea what to do to help my child (after trying everything allopathic and natural under the sun). Thank you for your kindness and wisdom. Both Sierra and I will always be grateful. So, it is with crazy crazy joy that I can now share her story of healing .

My 18 mo dd just spent the last 10 months of her life vomiting 1-3 times per day. We had all kinds of medical tests (endoscopy with biopsies, upper gi with small bowel follow through and TONS of blood tests. Everything came out perfect except for a stool test that showed dysbiosis (overwhelming number of bad bacteria in the gut - she also has yeast). We went to 10 doctors (allopathic and alternative) and consulted with another 5 over the phone. We were on a three day rotation and elimination diet for months which eliminated dairy, gluten, soy, eggs, avacados, sweet potato, and potato. It took an hour to get about 1 oz. of food in her. Drinking was only slightly easier. When she started loosing weight we had no choice other than put her on Elecare (hypoallergenic formula that was 55% corn syrup solids). The doc said it was impossible to be allergic to this. She was on it for three months and we had to sit in front of Baby Einstein every two hours to get 1-2 oz in. She would often vomit it right back up. She had stopped smiling and lost the few words she had at 12 mo. The last few days she would vomit 2-3 times per day and only keep about 9 oz. in. At that point I didn't have much to lose by trying something new - even though it meant giving her most of the foods I thought she was allergic to. She always had a gut reaction and this diet advises to never give a food if a child has had an anaphylactic type reaction to that food before. The diet is not permanent - only for a year or two to allow the gut to heal. The first day on the diet she vomited once and that was the last time she vomited with her food. After 5 weeks on the diet she is smiling and laughing like she did before getting sick. She spent most of today singing to herself and her speech therapist is amazed by her progress and increase in vocabulary since starting the diet. She is eating whole organic foods. It is so much easier than the elimination/rotation diet we were on for 3 months. Dd never had any antibiotics, steroids, or ear infections. I never had any meds while pregnant or delivering. There is no history of allergies in our families. DD has only had organic food and was breastfed through 13 months. We tried chiropractic (still do this along with monthly visits to her ND), NMT, and NAET. I believe she would have ended up on the autism spectrum if we would have continued with vax. I have come to believe that many allergies (not anaphylactic reactions) are really caused by a damaged and malfunctioning gut. DD received her vaccines through 6 mo. and I believe with all my heart that they caused injury to her gut and immune system.
The diet is called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. The book that outlines it is titled Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall This diet allows for many things that my dd was "allergic" to so I didn't even read it in January. I just returned the book instead. Once I read it EVERYTHING dd has gone through made sense. Please feel free to pm me if you have questions or have a child with a situation like Sierra's. I just don't want anyone to go through the hell we went through if I can help in anyway.

Peace,
#2 of 17 Old 07-13-2005, 01:15 AM

We also found the SCD to be such an amazing blessing in helping bean's gut to heal. I am really so very happy for you and especially for your darling little girl!!!

Now, I would recommend copying this and pasting it in the allergies subforum and even in special needs as this is really important information that applies to all three areas.

Just think of what a blessing it would be to help another little baby overcome such a terrible situation.

I am so happy for you both!
much love, hugs, and happiness
#3 of 17 Old 07-13-2005, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Lala,
I already x-posted in allergies, but will do the same in special needs.

Peace,
#4 of 17 Old 07-13-2005, 01:48 AM

Wow! So happy she is doing so much better.

Please Xpost on the vax board.

I stopped vaxxing my son at 6 months and my DD is not vaxxed.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#5 of 17 Old 07-13-2005, 10:35 AM

MOUNTAINMON - I am SO SO happy for you and your daughter!! She is so lucky to have a Mom like you. May I ask - is your daughter on the dairy free version of the diet?

I just wanted to comment on this thread b/c I have been on the SCD diet for over 5 years to help control my Chrons disease. Although it hasn't been a total cure in my case it has certainly helped tremendously.

I just wanted to post some links to additional recipies and information for you or anyone else interested.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...llegal_a-c.htm

http://www.scdrecipe.com/cat_recipes.html

http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/indexa.html

This lady sells the "best" cookbook (according to me..)

http://scdkitchen.com/

Also here is a link to a (very expensive) site where you can order SCD legal foods

http://www.digestivewellness.com

#6 of 17 Old 07-13-2005, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Alie,
I thought dairy was her biggest allergen, but she takes it now no problem. She eats the 24 hour yoghurt, cheese, and butter. She had vomited within bites every time she had eggs so I was very nervous to try these. Gave them to her from the start of SCD - no problem . Glad to hear you've had so much help from the diet. You might want to check out the following thread :

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=295112

This started out as a thread questioning whether food allergies are actually simply a manifestation of an injured gut by dysbiosis and yeast. It has turned into a SCD thread.

Peace,
#7 of 17 Old 07-13-2005, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
congrats! so glad she has improved! i've read about the scd before and it seems to really help a lot of people.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#8 of 17 Old 07-13-2005, 12:46 PM

I'm so happy for you Moneca!! I so know how it feels to finally be free! My ds is not completely better, but he is so much better, I'm very thankful.

You know, it's so funny how the net can affect you. I've worried for you and your little one quite a lot. And when I was feeling sorry for myself, I would just remind myself of what you were going through with Sierra. I'm very, very happy for you.

And I also want to thank you because I didn't know about the SCD diet before you mentioned it. Now I think I'll use it to start ds on solids. He's already eating some things, but it's mainly fruit and veggies, no protein. I really worry that he's not getting enough nutritionally. When you're in the grip the fear of food allergies, it's very hard to feed a child properly!

I hope little Sierra continues to heal. What a blessing!
#9 of 17 Old 07-13-2005, 01:09 PM

Wheeeeee!!!! I am so thrilled to hear this wonderful news! I truly share in your joy and relief Moneca

You should email Sierra's story to Elaine, she would LOVE to hear it.
#10 of 17 Old 07-14-2005, 07:41 PM

: : : : : : :

Moneca,
I am so happy to hear this wonderful news!!!! Finally Sierra is feeling better!!!!! Isn't it a good feeling when all of your efforts finally pay off? I am so glad that you finally found the solution!! Hug Sierra for me!!
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#11 of 17 Old 07-14-2005, 10:37 PM

Moneca-
I'm so happy your little one is doing so well on the Gottschall diet. I was posting originally to let you know that I had incredible success on this diet for a year while trying to control my colitis. Honestly, I've never felt healthier in my life. I have a three year old now who has been having episodes of unexplained vomiting that the pedi thinks may be "abdominal migraines". I think it's time for me to pull that book out again, and check out those other websites. It certainly can't hurt! Thanks for posting your wonderful news!

Kristin

Kristin, Mommy to 3 boys : (11,9,5) :

#12 of 17 Old 07-21-2005, 01:39 AM

My kids were never vaccinated, but still have quite a long list of food that they can not process. They will have a big cry out, and later break out in itchy eczema when they eat them. I am afraid to think what would've happened to them if I vaccinated them. Our diet is crazy and expensive, but I hope I can find a cure to their eczema soon. Love to your bebe, too.
#13 of 17 Old 07-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat
My kids were never vaccinated, but still have quite a long list of food that they can not process. They will have a big cry out, and later break out in itchy eczema when they eat them. I am afraid to think what would've happened to them if I vaccinated them. Our diet is crazy and expensive, but I hope I can find a cure to their eczema soon. Love to your bebe, too.
Same here. I always say I believe in my heart that if DS was vaxed, he would have had serious reactions, probably autism. The thing is that he has some things in common with the problems autistic kids have... poor digestion, yeast. He fights sleep with every fiber of his being ALL the time, and woke frequently for most of his life.... it's better now, but I wouldn't call his sleep behavior normal. He has a few signs of sensory integration disorder as well. A lot of repetitive play too, but I've been assured this is normal. Otherwise he is smarter and more verbal than any other 2 year old I've ever met and very loving and social. I'm tearfully thankful of this everyday because I honestly believe we dodged a bullet.

Perhaps it's just the "second brain" that is causing these behavioral problems... the gut that is. However, I do suspect mercury poisoning (Especially since I completely believe that autism is mercury poisoning. And if that is the case it stands to reason that there could be kids with lesser poisoning, but still effected in some way, digestively and neurologically).

I have now had all my fillings out by safe protocol by a holistic dentist. They were old and some were chipped. I have symptoms of mercury poisoning myself. As I think back, the poor digestion, buzzing anxiety and chronic insomnia started right when I got a lot of fillings all at once 10 years ago.

I remember the chips in my mouth after they were placed. I'm so very angry about this.

I've been doing a lot of research and will start chelation on myself once we completely wean in next few weeks (down to only one or no feeding per day). And then depending on how it goes, do chelation on him, very low dose and slowly.

I've ordered detailed hair tests for both of us to check if this is definately the issue. The whole thing is crazy and expensive too, but I hope it's the cure.

Mercury kills good bacteria in the gut as it is excreted (so I guess I'm REALLY glad that we have yeast problems b/c that means DS is getting rid of most of it instead of storing it in brain and other organs and suffering the consequences.)

Yeast and poor digestion is common when autistic kids go thru chelation and start excreting metals. The other interesting thing is that there is a type of eczema called the "mercury rash" that appears when metals are being pulled out too. The most common is the ankles, DS's last of his hot spots that still flare up on him. That is what got me thinking that it was too much of a coincidence here.

Sorry about the long answer to a post that wasn't even directed towards me!!

Moneca, forgive me for hijacking.
#14 of 17 Old 07-22-2005, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

It's not hijacking when it's done by a friend .
#15 of 17 Old 07-26-2005, 12:33 AM

Moneca, I am so glad to see this thread and see how much better things have gotten! I have thought of you and your situation so many times!

Blessing to you and Sierra!

#16 of 17 Old 11-23-2005, 11:00 AM

Just a word...
Congrats for saving your DD!!!

Also, I attend Food Allergy and Intolerance support meetings b/c my ds2 has Celiac Disease and it's the closest support group of any kind I can find. [Not to be confused, Celiac Disease is a genetic autoimmune disorder and not an allergy by medical definition.] Well, I realize my situation is such a blessing in comparison. These mothers have children with anaphlactic reactions, scary to say the least. However, one mother does experience the vomiting all day when exposed to dairy. Her son has had the allergy test that confirm anaphalactic response level allergies, so I thought it was interesting his body purged itself of what his body knew it could not handle (age 2 I believe). Just as my son does not like and would not eat certain foods which caused him to be ill when he was smaller.
#17 of 17 Old 11-23-2005, 11:07 AM

: that's soooo amazing! i'm so glad you found the key!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page