My son's cough is not going away - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-20-2005, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son (7) has had a very light and lose cough for most of the summer on and off. When I saw the doctor in early June she checked his lungs and they were fine. She suggested that it may be an allergy which I find hard to believe. The cough eventually subsided but has been back for a week at least. It is very lose and he does not have any other cold symptoms such as a runny nose or a sore throat. Could this cough be due to pollution. We live in a big city in the Northeast. Has anybody experienced similar symptoms?

Susanne
#2 of 6 Old 07-21-2005, 10:49 AM

I wonder why you don't think it could be an allergy?
My older DS and I both have been that way off and on this summer, and it's happened in the past...allergies.
#3 of 6 Old 07-21-2005, 03:23 PM

dd had a chronic cough on and off for months and she was diagnosed with asthma. She has just recently been diagnosed with allergies too.
#4 of 6 Old 07-21-2005, 05:51 PM

Have you thought about using something to strengthen your son's immune system?

Pycnogenol is a terrific immune system builder, and usually is able to eliminate most seasonal allergies. Of course, there are lots of others as well.
#5 of 6 Old 07-23-2005, 03:00 AM

My daughter had a cough for months and nothing I tried would get rid of it. We then gave her Congaplex from "Standard Process" supplements, and that got rid of it in literally 2 days! You can get a chewable form of it. Some kids don't like the taste, but luckily my daughter liked it. It might be worth trying!

Kate
#6 of 6 Old 09-21-2005, 01:20 PM

I love Mothering... whenever I have an issue I'm tempted to start a thread about, I do a search and ususally find the exact topic I had in mind!

For the last two winters in a row, my DD has developed a cough that lasts for about two months at a time. Both of those times, it was a dry cough, and happened in the Real Winter months. I took her to her ped. to check in, and he wasn't concerned. It just faded away very gradually.

About two weeks ago, the cough came back.
It is not winter quite yet, and this time she sounds a little raspy. As it slowly gets worse, she's having fits that sound like barking, with harsh gasps for air in between. Just like before, though, she has no other symptoms at all, and feels fine when she's not coughing.

Does this sound like asthma or allergies to anyone?
Would a family practitioner be likely to pick up on it if it was, or should I seek out someone else?
She has an appt. with our FP in two days. (I'll ask about whooping cough too- any experience with that, anyone?)

bbb- I've never heard of Pycnogenol. What is that? Where do we find it?

kdandq- is that supplement geared toward this specifically? where did you get it?

We've tried some herbs, natural cough syrup, and are still upping her Vitamin C... no change. I feel badly sending her to school, even though I've discussed it with everyone and they're okay with it, since it's her only symptom.

Help! Thanks.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page