3rd degree ankle sprain - recovery ? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-27-2005, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What can I expect for recovery time from a 3rd degree ankle sprain ?

I'm on day 4 now, and the bruising is really dark, and my foot is still swollen and painful.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#2 of 16 Old 07-28-2005, 12:22 PM

I've sprained my ankles many times, I don't know what degree they were because I just stopped going in.lol My worst ones took a couple of weeks to heal. There was one time in high school where I probably should have gone in. I did it 2 weeks before school started and when we were back in school I still couldn't stand on it for more than a few minutes or it'd hurt. I did go in 3months later right before basketball started because it still hurt now and then and the dr said I had tendonitis. The last time I went in, I"d heard something crack. It was immediatly black and blue. A week later I could put pressure on it as long as i didn't put my heel down.

It is going to take a while. Apply ice & heat and raise it up as much as you can. Bandage it to help keep it steady. Once it's healing and you can put pressure on it, keep it bandaged(especially if you are doing physical activity), wear shoes with ankle supports.
#3 of 16 Old 07-28-2005, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

3rd degree apparently means that I totally ruptured one or more of the ligaments (I did some digging around to find this out).

I'm in a splint for 10 days (today is day 5), before I'm to even attempt any weight-bearing.

Jesse (July '09)
#4 of 16 Old 07-28-2005, 03:04 PM

I had a bad sprain in high school- happened during volleyball practice the week before school started, I was out 3/4 of the season, so 2 mos or so until complete recovery. I had thought it was broken, but xrays said different. They didn't tell me the degree, but I was on crutches for a week (no weight) and light weight for a week or so following (limping, but not supposed to be).

I hope you heal quickly.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#5 of 16 Old 07-28-2005, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - I hope so too !

Jesse (July '09)
#6 of 16 Old 07-28-2005, 06:43 PM

I suffered a third degree sprain in college. . . so sorry!! I know it is VERY painful. Honestly, I have to tell you that for me there was weeks of recovery. I know probably about three until I could put any weight on it at all, and then several weeks of physical therapy and tenderness---though all sprains and ankles are different!

Quick healing. . .

Sar
#7 of 16 Old 07-28-2005, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Honesty is what I want. Better that than unrealistic expectations.

Jesse (July '09)
#8 of 16 Old 07-29-2005, 06:46 AM

I had a really bad sprain in high school, also, and it took probably 3 weeks to be able to walk decent and about 6-8 weeks to be back to relative normal. I remember it seemed like forever. I think I had some degree of pain for quite a while if I tried anything strenuous, like running or jumping, etc...maybe 3 months or so. It would get achy and feel irritated occasionally for probably the whole year afterwards.

Sprains like that take a lot longer to heal than breaks, tendons and ligaments are stubborn buggers, and need a lot of time and rest and then rehab afterward. Good luck to you. Maybe it won't be as bad as mine was for you.
#9 of 16 Old 07-29-2005, 12:13 PM

I sprained my ankle six weeks ago, and I was told it was a pretty bad sprain, but they didn't tell me at the hospital what degree it was (and I didn't know to ask). They told me to follow up with an orthopedic doctor, but I didn't : so I kind of played it by ear. I wore the splint for only a few days, took it off for a few days, put it back on for a few days. I could put weight on it after about 4-5 days, but did so minimally. After two weeks, I could walk pretty normally, and resumed doing yoga, but the swelling took a total of 4 weeks to go down (it's still a little swollen, but only I can tell).

I still haven't been able to resume step aerobics, but hope to give it a try in about 2 weeks.
#10 of 16 Old 07-29-2005, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Day 6 today - the lack of mobility is REALLY getting to me.

Jesse (July '09)
#11 of 16 Old 07-30-2005, 07:06 PM

I sprained my ankle quite badly about 7 years ago. Whatever you do, do not take off the splint prematurely! I made that mistake years previously when I dislocated my shoulder. At the time I did my ankle, I was teaching aerobics and was very active physically. I didn't have insurance at the time, so didn't go to a dr, but got myself a pair of crutches and forced myself to totally stay off my ankle for 2 weeks, and I mostly stayed off it for a while after that. I did, though, after the 2nd or 3rd day, hobble out in my crutches to a swimming pool to swim. I kept my ankle bandaged and splinted during the swimming for quite a while. I am sure if I had been under a drs care they wouldn't have allowed the swimming. If I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't have done that so soon either. But at a certain point, I do think it helped my ankle regain flexibility.

I did everything very slowly. After a while, I began using a stationary bike for exercise. I strapped my foot in so that my ankle would not move... I also did very gentle stretches, foot circles, etc while NOT weight bearing at first. I remember the first time I went back to the track to run. I drove there (whereas I used to ride my bike), walked slowly around the track ONCE, (I used to run 6 miles or more) and drove home! I increased in very small increments. One time I got overly confident and used a piece of cardio equipment I shouldn't have too soon, had pain and a setback, and had to get off the ankle again for a few days.

My boss told me it would be at least 8 weeks before she'd let me teach again... and I am so glad! My ankle is great today, and I really don't notice any difference between it and my "good" one except it is slightly less flexible and if I were to go on a really long run (I did run a marathon about a year after the injury!) I might feel it.

Another thing that really helped once I was weight bearing were calf raises with good ankle alignment.

Good luck and hang in there!
#12 of 16 Old 07-30-2005, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Sarah.

Today is day 7, and I was able to borrow an aircast today. Let me say what an awesome invention this thing is - the comfort level is incredible.

I think I'll be off my feet longer than "normal" because my foot was not splinted at 90 degrees in the hospital last week, and I'm having a fair amount of pain from suddenly having it there today in the aircast.

I'm figuring another week before I start any weight bearing at all. But I am able to move my foot slightly today, about an inch or 2 up and down. This is a huge improvement over even yesterday.

Jesse (July '09)
#13 of 16 Old 07-30-2005, 08:16 PM

Do you have help with your kids?

#14 of 16 Old 07-30-2005, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91
Do you have help with your kids?
DH is home all weekend.
He's on afternoon shift next week, so is home until about 1:30 pm; and gets home from work a little after 11 pm. I'm all on my own between those times.

And no, there are no friends or family who can help out. I have pretty much no real life local friends at all, and the closest family is my ILs who both work f/t and are an hour away.

Jesse (July '09)
#15 of 16 Old 07-30-2005, 09:16 PM

Sorry, I know that makes it even harder. I was on bedrest for a week before ds1 was born, dd was 23 mos at the time and it was nearly impossible. Do your best to keep everyone sane.

#16 of 16 Old 07-30-2005, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

The living room / office area is gated off and we're quickly memorizing our movie stash.

It sucks, but it's only for a little while. Or so I keep telling myself.

Jesse (July '09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page