Healing the gut tribe : August - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 348 Old 08-31-2005, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any thoughts on seaweed (nori) in a toddler's diet? My dd has taken a shine to the stuff and it's not in any of my food books.

We aren't on the SCD per say but we did go about healing her excema through diet. Her triggers were nuts (including almonds), egg whites, dairy and gluten. She also refuses to eat meat so our diet is limited enough.

She hasn't had any reaction to the seaweed that I can tell and her poos have been even better then usually while she's been eating it so I'm inclined to let her snack away
#332 of 348 Old 08-31-2005, 02:52 PM

viola, different seaweeds have different beneifts, but almost all are a great source of vitamins and or minerals!
I used to sneak some arame or dulse into anything I could to boost iron levels for the girls when they were littler.

I would have branched out further, but couldn't find all the variaties here.
We still use those two seaweeds in baking and soups.
#333 of 348 Old 08-31-2005, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Thanks for all the input, Jane, moneca, and everyone. I will try to get everything together to start the diet, but am still sort of stressing about how much work it will be and how expensive it will be.
Jane, I only recently heard that PCOS may be caused by food allergies (which in turn cause overall inflammation which leads to insulin resistance, among other things), from a link provided by an MDC mama. Unfortunately, the theory is part of a sales pitch for very expensive allergy testing. I figure why spend the $1500 on the testing if I can just wipe out the allergies with SCD, kwim?
SCD is supposed to kind of cure, or at least minimize, food allergies, right?
Yes re: SCD & food allergies, and actually it is the original cure for celiac, one of the most serious food allergies, if it's followed for at least a year.

Re: inflammation and allergies
You gotta read Karen DeFelice's book www.enzymestuff.com
I just finished and am blown away at the possibilities.
#334 of 348 Old 08-31-2005, 05:50 PM

pookietooth and loon13: If you are concerned about any DD, ID, ADD/H, LD, regardless to the age of the child, medical expense, therapist availability, there are few things (and the most important) you can do now. In a nut shell:

Baby massage: I did a short but the same gentle routine each time I changed the diaper. Baby Gym: Any slow movement, using gravity, big ball, or bath towel to wrap around the chest while they stood, and a lot of floor time. Try to do a lot of right/left coordination motion.
Incorporate a lot of classic music. Play it often in the back ground. Or, if the child is old enough, join music class or have a music play day at home. We found some good musical instruments (that sounds like a real, adult instruments) on web and music stores (where they sell and rent.) Making the instruments out of toilette paper core, paper towel core, cans, beans, rubber bands-kinda instruments are even better, yet.
Do a lot of craft time, practicing to use fine motor coordination.
#335 of 348 Old 09-01-2005, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

New September thread started...move on over .

Peace,
#336 of 348 Old 09-07-2005, 04:26 AM

I have been reading posts for about an hour, and I apologize if this question has been asked and answered, but I would like to start the Maker's Diet--I have already received the supplements--I have been trying to wean my 11 month old before starting. He doesn't want to wean (I really don't want to, either!) and tonight I looked through the diet book to see if there was any advice against or for nursing while dieting, etc. and could not find ANYTHING. Is anyone taking these supplements and still breastfeeding? My main reason for starting the Maker's Diet is that I am having extreme hair loss, and I feel it has to be something internal--my *lack of* healthy diet, etc. I appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
sassykat
#337 of 348 Old 09-07-2005, 04:49 AM

Hi, SassyCat: I don’t know anything about the Maker’s diet, but hope other moms can tell you what they know. If you are concerned about the extreme hair loss, have you tried taking 2 table spoon of flaxseed oil (cold press is better) or other omega fatty 3 oil, like cod liver oil (there are peach and lemon flavored) every day? They are not the yummiest thing, but not bad, if you eat fruit after the oil to cleanse your taste buds. Another thing is, eat more nuts that are high in E, like almonds (almond butter is very good.) And, switch your shampoo to Nioxin. It is available at some salon. I found their cleanser, conditioner and booster (used together) was helpful.
#338 of 348 Old 09-07-2005, 02:52 PM

Thank you, greencat--I have cod liver oil (it is one of the supplements with the MD), but haven't started taking it yet--I was waiting to start everything together, but I think I'll go ahead and start that today. Thank you for the advice--I am going to try everything you mentioned. With my second baby, my hair started falling out when he was three months old, then stopped after about three months...with this baby, it started falling out around three months, and has not stopped! He's eleven months now. I have a distinctive (to me, at least) bald spot right in the front-middle of my hairline (about the size of a dime), and my hair is very thin now in the front. What is scaring me, is that there is no new hair growth in that small bald spot--if hair was growing in, I wouldn't worry about it...Thanks again for your help!
#339 of 348 Old 09-07-2005, 02:55 PM

Oh, one question--is Nioxin okay to use while breastfeeding?
Thanks!
kat
#340 of 348 Old 09-07-2005, 04:10 PM

Quote:
...with this baby, it started falling out around three months, and has not stopped! He's eleven months now. I have a distinctive (to me, at least) bald spot right in the front-middle of my hairline (about the size of a dime), and my hair is very thin now in the front.
Sassycat-have you had your thyroid checked? Hairloss can be a symptom of a malfunctioning thyroid.
Pregnancy play total havock with my thyroid. It takes it longer and longer to get "back to normal" after each pregnancy. Maybe it affects you the same?..
I have major hairloss around 3-4 months postpartem plus a plethora of other syptoms too.
Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

#341 of 348 Old 09-07-2005, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Kat,
Please pose your question about nioxin on the September healing the gut tribe to get many more responses .

Peace,
#342 of 348 Old 09-08-2005, 02:38 AM

Hi, zanelee,
Thank you for your response--I have been reading the various threads and am seeing thyroid pretty often--I have an appointment with my dermatologist for skin problems, and I think he can do a thyroid test. I am willing to do anything to figure out why this is happening--I even read about a scalp test the dermatologist can perform--they actually make an incision and can determine why hair loss is occuring. Thanks so much!
#343 of 348 Old 09-08-2005, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca
New September thread started...move on over .

Peace,
Where is it?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#344 of 348 Old 09-08-2005, 09:15 PM

#345 of 348 Old 01-17-2006, 08:41 PM

Please forgive me if this has been discussed in this thread already, I promise to read when I have time later this week (I don't have time to read it tonight and need a quick answer)...There are so many different brands of probiotics that I just don't know which ones to choose for myself, dh and 9 month old dd. I plan on making yogurt for dh but for some reason, can't stand to eat homemade yogurt although I can eat purchased like stoneyfield yogurt. So, what brands are recommended? Also, can yogurt be made from substances other than animal milk like soy or coconut milk?
Thanks for any suggestions!!!
Michelle
#346 of 348 Old 01-18-2006, 03:13 AM

I'd ask the "Healing the Gut Tribe" people--look at their current thread.
#347 of 348 Old 06-11-2006, 02:06 AM

Oh dear, not sure if I replied to the wrong thread. Don't have a clue how to do this internet thing. But I really would love to join a conversation about healing the gut, as that is what I am currently focused on with my 6-year-old daughter. We are on the Body Ecology Diet currently, but I am interested in what I have heard about the SCD. Anybody out there still?
#348 of 348 Old 06-11-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimismama
Oh dear, not sure if I replied to the wrong thread. Don't have a clue how to do this internet thing. But I really would love to join a conversation about healing the gut, as that is what I am currently focused on with my 6-year-old daughter. We are on the Body Ecology Diet currently, but I am interested in what I have heard about the SCD. Anybody out there still?
Here is a link to the current June thread on this topic. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=461634

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page