Healing the gut tribe : August - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mountainmon, thanks for the encouragement and advice. Dd was exclusively bf when her poops changed and I knew it was wrong but couldn't get anyone to agree.
Testing her for dysbiosis is an idea. I'll have to think more about it. I know that her absorption must not be as bad as Selkie's. The last time her iron levels were tested they were almost back to normal. I actually give her the floravital iron plus herbs because it's yeast and gluten free. I've been taking the iron with her and it really helps with me being so tired. I found out last month from my mom that I was always anemic as a child, so it makes me wonder if I just didn't pass along good iron stores to her. Of course, she also didn't really start solids til 12 months.
I've actually been thinking of taking her to a doctor in Tallahassee my mil recommends. He does colon hydrotherapy and iridology and will do it on babies. He feels that it will help heal the gut and help to give space for the good guys to colonize. Dh is against it though. What I've read about colonics seems to make sense, but I've tried so many things that haven't worked. And most of them out of pocket.
Right now I'm kind of down because she has the red anus ring again. She hasn't had that in ages. And her eczema is starting to reappear on her knee and tops of feet. She was held by my neighbor tonight for a while. Dd is allergic to dogs and my neighbor has dogs. That could be the eczema. As far as the red ring, the only new things she's had was an evening primrose oil capsule squeezed in her oatmeal and later gerber diced pears. Sorry, just needed to vent.
This weekend I will make the time to read pecanbread.com and the scd website. Maybe I'll get the book from the library again and read the diet part more closely.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Deborah
#62 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders
So, I looked for (and found) some almond flour at Wild Oats tonight but man is it expensive (I bought it anyway because I am making banana pancakes in the AM). So, do you all have a good source for buying it that isn't $13/pound?
I really like the flour from http://digestivewellness.com/, it is very fine, ground like real flour and is $6.50/lb if you buy 5lbs. (Keep in refrigerator or freezer for long term storage.) The Bob's Red Mill at my Whole Foods is $11.99/lb and is grainy, like coarse cornmeal.
#63 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 12:16 PM

To the Mamas of the "Bullseye Red Rash Babies":

Don't think in terms of ... "We ate something today that caused this rash."

It is a systemic yeast/bacterial imbalance that is causing this.

Meaning that it builds up. It's not likely that Deborah's sweetie-pie is "allergic" to oatmeal and pears....it's that the instestinal flora are overrun with yeast and bad bacteria.

At least that is the SCD explanation.
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i..._the_diet2.htm

And is mirrored by our experience. It's why my little guy can seem to tolerate new additions to his diet for a little while and then not. I drove my naturopath insane with this when on the testing phase of the Elimination Diet... we saw no reactions with anything (because his gut was better at the time). Then poof, huge breakout. It was because the bad yeast/bacteria in the intestine were winning again, after being in submission for a while.
The naturopath kept insisting it must have been an allergy to this, or that, or did I put pepper on his roast chicken. Drove myself nuts too trying to track every single little thing!

I had to find the SCD explanation of "allergies" on my own and it requires a shift in thinking, but it totally makes the most sense to me now. Maybe it's not the case for every food intolerance, but I'm most certain it is with the yeast rash around anus or mucus in stool. The book explains more about how the intestinal function is damaged so as to not be able to break down food.

I've seen this in myself too. I didn't see reactions at first in myself. Like the "testing the wheat" day. No problem even after a day of binging. But when I added bread back into my diet, after a week, I was in pain with gas and bloating again and then I had to start again from square one and heal again. Which is how I learned cheating is not worth the several weeks it takes to recover.

Then when I read about the SCD explanation, it all came into perspective and made sense that it wasn't one particular food allergy.
#64 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj
Q for all of you experts, where can I get coconut milk? The only coconut milk I know of is in a can, and that is so different from the coconut milk I used to drink out of the coconut. Is the almond milk from the box ok? Like the ones that rice and soy milk are sold in?
You can find coconuts at health food stores and Asian market for coconut water. The Body Ecology Diet uses that to make a probiotic drink called Coconut Kefir:
http://www.bodyecologydiet.com/coconutkefir.php

We are using canned organic coconut milk for DS now. Thai Foods or Native Forest brand. I get the full fat milk and dilute it one can of milk and the rest water about 3/4 full for my half gallon jug. Then it's watery like rice milk, what my DS was used to. Add a bit of honey to sweeten it (well okay a lot of honey now so he'll like it, it's been a bit of a struggle).

RE: almond milk
It depends on your definition of "ok".
Ok as in tastes good? or ok as in good for an Elimination Diet or is it SCD legal?

The almond milk in a box has cane sugar or rice syrup sweetener added so SCD theory is that it would be food for yeast. You can make your own by whizzing blanched almonds in a blender with water. Then draining out the solids through cheesecloth or very fine strainer (can use the residue as almond flour) and then adding honey.
#65 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 12:50 PM

See links at very bottom of page...
http://www.giprohealth.com/starter.html

research review articles on:

Immunologic Effects of Yogurt

Yogurt and Gut Function

Yogurt Influences Intestinal Health

Moneca,
I was considering getting this yogurt starter from GIProHealth b/c it was recommended on PecanBread and it is dairy free, which the Yogourmet is not. But the GIProHealth has l. casei instead of l. acidophilus? What do you think? I thought SCD only recommended acidophilus, bulgarius and thermophilus. I know the casei is supposed to be excellent as a "helper" probiotic, it's what's in Culturelle and studied extensively.
#66 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I thought of you when I saw this page re: research on diet therapy for many different medical issues.
http://www.feingold.org/research-pg.html
Great link! Thanks!

Quote:
The thing is that the SCD claims to be a cure for it.This is incredible and not really fully accepted in the celiac community/medical establishment. If you are dx as a celiac according to them, you have to avoid gluten for the rest of your life.
It's possible that she will always be gluten sensitive, even after her gut is healed, but just eliminating gluten hasn't made her feel any better. Besides, every "incurable disease" I've ever had, I've healed through nutrition. The body has an incredible ability to regenerate and rebound-- even after being put through the ringer.
#67 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlleoiseau
I've actually been thinking of taking her to a doctor in Tallahassee my mil recommends. He does colon hydrotherapy and iridology and will do it on babies. He feels that it will help heal the gut and help to give space for the good guys to colonize. Dh is against it though. What I've read about colonics seems to make sense, but I've tried so many things that haven't worked. And most of them out of pocket.
Deborah-- I'm all for colon hydrotherapy and iridology. I think it really does help, especially for more extreme problems that would take a long time to solve through diet alone. I think it's helped me with heavy metal toxicity. But it's a very invasive procedure and it seems like it would be emotionally traumatizing to a baby. I have a friend whose mother tried to give her an enema when she was 2, and just listening to her you can tell how traumatizing the memory still is to her. Just something to consider.
#68 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Jane - As I remember, Elaine's biggest concern about the types of beasties had more to do with whether they were "community minded" or not. her biggest beef was with bifidus strains. Give it a try and let me know .

To all - When you get discouraged and overwhelmed you may want to pick up a copy of the Maker's Diet from the library and photocopy the pages where Jordan Rubin discribes his condition. Probably all of chapters 1 and 2. I truly cannot believe he is alive. If his body can heal completely (which it has) then anyone's can. It is tough when it is your babe and you're limited in so many ways by "allergies and sensitivities". The only way I know to make these babes better is through healing their guts. It is a long hard road, but worth it.

Elisabeth - Good for not giving up, but looking for ways around the new obstacles instead . You're such a good mama. I would suggest going to www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info and clicking on the "legal/illegal" food list. Write down EVERYTHING that ds and dd can have on the legal list. Sit back and see if you can make a diet of it. It will be hard, but I know you can do it . I can tell that you're very determined every time I've talked to you on the phone. Don't let the extent of Selkie's digetion and absorbtion issues overwhelm you. I promise that Sierra is in the same boat. Her vomiting has stopped, but we still have a long path to walk to achieve gut healing. I'm here for you and you're not alone. You CAN do this!!!

Not to minimize any mama's struggles with a babe who suffers from eczema or diarrhea, but when your sweet one isn't gaining weight, digesting, absorbing, or thriving in general it is particularly frightening. If you feel that no one can help you and you're alone it is enough to make the best mama . It is a nightmare. I was uprooted from the part of the country that I called home (the west) and transplanted to NYC 1 mo before dd started vomiting. Honestly, I ended up on an antidepressant and an antianxiety med due to the stress and panic. I don't want any mama to feel that she is alone on this journey like I did. That was the worst part.

Amber - I'm glad to hear that you also believe in the body's ability to heal if given the proper nutrients. Glad to have you aboard. Do you mind sharing some of thd things you've been healed of through using foods and natural remedies? Some mamas might find encouragement from your story.

Deborah - I know very little about colonics, but my concern would also be that it may traumatize your precious one.

I just received my kefir grains in the mail today from another mama. This is not allowed on the SCD, but is encouraged on MD. THe kefir is for DH and I in addition to our yoghurt. I'm excited to start drinking the delightful concoction again. I'll post on this thread in a few months if my good grainies have multiplied to the point where I can share .

Peace to all and don't give up hope,
#69 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 05:00 PM

You wise wise mommas!

I printed off all the legal/illegal foods, then just typed up a list of everything my dd could eat- this looks pretty doable for us. I need to find coconut milk, thought. And she can still have cheese- thank goodness.

Okay, questions. WHY does this happen? How do I prevent this from happening to my other children? DD wasn't always like this, just the past 18 months. And how will I know that she is getting better? Is it reasonable to hope for some sign of results in a month's time?
#70 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Q for all of you experts, where can I get coconut milk? The only coconut milk I know of is in a can, and that is so different from the coconut milk I used to drink out of the coconut. Is the almond milk from the box ok? Like the ones that rice and soy milk are sold in?
Hi, PB& J, I see Jane already replied to your question... and yeah, like she inferred, coconut milk is not the same thing as coconut water, which you get from a fresh coconut. There are recipes on the internet for making coconut milk from the meat of fresh coconuts. I like using the coconut water for kefir, then scooping out the coconut meat and eating it. A lot of work but kind of fun. I used a chisel and a hammer to bust open the coconut after draining the milk out. There are instructions on the Body Ecology website about how to open and use a young coconut.

I heard your despair in one of your earlier posts. Jane has a great link to an article that says that all babies have "leaky guts" before 6 mo of age... but, as she says, not all moms have leaky guts. So, even though what you eat may be affecting your baby now, it likely won't do it forever, even if you continue breastfeeding. That seems to be what happened w/ my dd. She developed eczema at about 5 mo, she frequently had the red ring and occasional green mucousy poops. I started out by following my naturopath's advice and cut out dairy, eggs, and wheat for 2 weeks. It did not touch the ezcema. So then I did a strict elimination diet for about 8 weeks. At 4 wks into it, dd's face looked way, way better. I gave her and myself probiotics and Cod liver oil. Slowly I slipped back into my old ways of eating, but now, at a year old, her poops are normal even if I eat refined flour, sugar, chocolate, and dairy. She will still get the red ring if I overdo it. The ezcema is gone, except for the occasional slight redness if I really over do it. So don't despair! As others have said, keep your breastfeeding going. As a matter of fact, delay introducing solids, especially the rice cereal (which I think has no place in any baby's diet) until you get her symptoms under control.

I think the elimination diet helped me because I had "leaky gut" and eliminating all those foods that weren't being properly digested keep them from entering her "leaky gut" digestive system via the breastmilk.

My challenge now is to improve my diet without the ezcema to motivate me. But now dd is watching what I eat. I don't want to be sneaking my chocolate in the middle of the night while eating the "healthy" foods I'm giving to her during the day.

I consulted with a nutritionist yesterday. She gave me some hope as she said the SCD is really designed for people who have serious digestive issues and I don't have to be that restrictive to see improvement. Of course, that is just her opinion.
#71 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ricemomma - I'm so glad to hear that making the list helped. It was the only thing I could think of that might help mamas with lots of "allergies". It does make things more difficult. I will continue to suggest this since it has helped. Good timing on the question. I was thinking of posting this microscopic puzzle that I keep solving piece by bloody piece. This may help you and other mamas. I use to blame everything on the vaccines, but I have now found that this was only a weak link that made the snowball a little bigger. I have never written this down, so please bear with me .

Jane's story helped me to put the finishing touches on everything. You never know what you may learn from other mama's trials .

I had signs of probable mercury toxicity back in 2000-2002. This consisted of migraines, then slurred speech and mixing the order of my words. Just months before Sierra was conceived I went on a bentonite/psyllium daily cleanse (a friend told me that this had turned her chiro's hair back to black from grey : and this is why I started the bentonite ). Within 4 months of this daily routine the migraines and speech abnormalities went away. I just thought it was toxic overload from pesticides and everyday toxins in the air/soil/water at the time.
I had never been on steriods and had not had abx in 4 years when dd was born. Didn't have any during childbirth and dd has never had them. DD received vax through 6 mo . She started with yeast under her chin, in her pits, and umbilicus at 4-5 mo. She was breastfed through 13 mo and did not have solids until 6 mo and then only organic. She was NEVER a good eater and always around the 5% on weight.
We had a 41 hr labor and were rearended by another car in an interstate pile up when she was about 4 mo (wow, did I have signs not to go to NYC). I have 7 amalgam fillings, played with liquid mercury once as a kid, had my vax in the 70s, and five more vax in the 90s for nursing school !
Now that I've given all the details, this is what I believe transpired in dd's body :
**1.I have high levels of mercury in my body which damaged her immune system (although I hate to think of what she would be like if I had not done that detox before she was conceived. Thank God for that :.

**2. I believe that the long labor and the car accident caused some subluxations ( her chiro found 3 - one severe at cervical level 1 and two other moderate ones at lumbar and sacral levels). These subluxations were at the right levels to have impinged the nerves to her gi system, particularly the nerves that innervate the lower esophogeal sphincter which keeps your stomach contents from coming back up if it is tight. Sierra tested negative for reflux, but I still think this nerve is damaged because she will still vomit if her stomach is very full during a difficult bowel movement.

**3. After she started to vomit last fall with bm and anything that caused increased gastric pressure (coughing), the gi started her on pepcid which in an antacid. I believe this decreased her gastric acid and worsened the dysbiosis that had already started. BTVC mentions the harm antacids can cause. It was shortly after starting the pepcid that she stopped smiling . She was only on it for 2 weeks because I could see that her digestion was worsening and her gastric emptying was being prolonged. This spring we saw a different gi who put her on prevacid. Her stools started to smell even more putrid after being on this for two weeks and we saw the same increase of time for gastric emptying so we took her off it.

**4. I think the vax further impaired her immune system and God only knows what else it did .

**5. Where would we be if I had not been taking omega 3 fish oil since the second trimester or had continued to vax?

I'm planning to get ALL my fillings removed in a couple weeks when dh is out of work again ( gotta love the film business) by a holistic dentist that uses the mercury removal protocol. It is expensive (220-350 per tooth, but I can't even think of getting prego with those mercury monsters in my mouth ). I started the bentonite/psyllium again and am on the Maker's diet (except for my daily Starbucks chai - a girl has to have one habit ). I'm getting raw milk to make yoghurt from this weekend as I think this is the final step that will promote digestion for all of us esp. dd. There is not a ton of literature and no research that I could find on bentonite as a chelator, but it worked so well for me before that I'm using it and will test levels after the fillings are out. Hope this all makes sense. Feel free to ask questions. Gotta run.

Peace,
#72 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Greencat - I saw your post on water quality on the eczema thread of allergy. We only use spring water for dd - even to cook her veggies. The chlorine in tap water (which does not get filtered out by standard filters) kills the good bacteria we are trying so hard to populate our guts with. Trader Joes sells it for .69 per gallon.

Also wanted to let those with toothpaste eating kids like mine know about Weleda flouride free toothpaste. It is SCD legal. Glycerine is legal according to the BTVC site.

Peace,
#73 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 09:32 PM

The post on the water is interesting--I don't want to be making yogurt and then killing them off right away. My mom told me if I leave the water open on the counter overnight the chlorine evaporates. We use a Brita filter pitcher for our water. Is my mom way off? Is the chlorine still in there? I want to do what's best for baby, but I feel like I am going off the deep end and I have not even started anything yet!
#74 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 09:34 PM

Oh, another thought, I don't mind boiling water, would that get rid of the chlorine?
#75 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liane -
Might work. The only way to know for certain is to test it with a pool chem stick. I know that a few months back Gitti posted something about placing a 500mg vitamin C in the bath to remove the chlorine so that it would not soak into the skin. I tried it a few times with a cheapo vit C that I would never ingest. The pill disolved so slowly in the water that it wasn't worth it. I'd be curious to find out if it works. Mabey I'll order some pool chem sticks off the web just to satisfy my curiosity . You're not off the deep end yet - from one who is .

Peace,
#76 of 348 Old 08-05-2005, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I almost forgot. I get to have a proud mama moment . Sierra's movie opens this weekend. If you see the movie Junebug (small independent) she is the preacher's baby in the church social (potluck) scene. A friend of ours saw the movie at Sundance and said she got a closeup. The movie was shot when she was 6 mo and was still chunky by our standards. Thanks for letting me boast about my .

Peace,
#77 of 348 Old 08-06-2005, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmon
Liane -
Might work. The only way to know for certain is to test it with a pool chem stick. I know that a few months back Gitti posted something about placing a 500mg vitamin C in the bath to remove the chlorine so that it would not soak into the skin. I tried it a few times with a cheapo vit C that I would never ingest. The pill disolved so slowly in the water that it wasn't worth it. I'd be curious to find out if it works. Mabey I'll order some pool chem sticks off the web just to satisfy my curiosity . You're not off the deep end yet - from one who is .

Peace,
Cool, let me know if you do this, I am very interested to know if the chlorine evaporates. I know water is different in every city, but it would be neat to do a before and after test.
#78 of 348 Old 08-06-2005, 12:14 PM

We found coconut milk yesterday in the whole foods/ethnic section of our supermarket. I watered it down and added honey, but DD loves her whole milk and isn't accepting it yet. She is a strong willed one, but once she realizes, that is all she's getting as far as milk goes, she'll get over it. We stocked up on cheese and fruits and veggies and pork rinds. So she's had pork rinds for breakfast. My husband is a bit sceptical, as always, and a little worried about her nutrition, but the child doesn't eat very much anyway, and the only big changes here is substituting coconut milk for cow's milk, and cutting out cereal and pretzels and pasta. Today I am going to find goat's milk at our health food store, I think I've seen some there.

Now, here's my next question: What starter do I use for the yogurt? I have commercail dannon yogurt in my fridge- acidophilus- is that alright? What buggies does she need in her gut?

Thanks so much for answering my questions.
#79 of 348 Old 08-06-2005, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was considering getting this yogurt starter from GIProHealth b/c it was recommended on PecanBread and it is dairy free, which the Yogourmet is not. But the GIProHealth has l. casei instead of l. acidophilus? What do you think? I thought SCD only recommended acidophilus, bulgarius and thermophilus. I know the casei is supposed to be excellent as a "helper" probiotic, it's what's in Culturelle and studied extensively.
Ricemama -
This should answer your yoghurt starter questions. I currently use yoghurmet and Jane might try the GIProHealth. I buy my starter from www.juicersforless.com as it is only $3 per box of 3 envelopes (enough to make 6 liters). My local HF sells it for 4.25 per box.

Peace,
#80 of 348 Old 08-06-2005, 08:29 PM

RiceMomma,
There's also a plain Dannon that SCD recommends just has the big 3 that I mentioned.
I know Stoneyfield has L. Reuteri, L. Casei plus Acidophilus and Bifidus and I was using that as a starter for a while until I read the SCD info and my head exploded.
Plus I want to do a non dairy one for DS ...
#81 of 348 Old 08-06-2005, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmon
Oh, I almost forgot. I get to have a proud mama moment . Sierra's movie opens this weekend.
Too Cool! I will definately look for it!

Brooke Shields started young too.
#82 of 348 Old 08-06-2005, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceMomma
I printed off all the legal/illegal foods, then just typed up a list of everything my dd could eat- this looks pretty doable for us. I need to find coconut milk, thought. And she can still have cheese- thank goodness.

Okay, questions. WHY does this happen? How do I prevent this from happening to my other children? DD wasn't always like this, just the past 18 months. And how will I know that she is getting better? Is it reasonable to hope for some sign of results in a month's time?
Ah the eternal question...WHY?

I have my theories...have you read our story?
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=260393

Moneca and I have been talking a lot about the common denominator of our mercury exposure. The recent fact I heard is that 1 in 6 women have dangerous levels of mercury in their body, enough to harm their fetuses. That's absolutely appalling and frightening and overwhelming. It took me a while to digest this information myself and then do something about it.

I think there are also a lot of other factors to the development of leaky gut: chlorine in water is definately one. You do absorb a lot just showering, and it kills the good bacteria on skin too. For a while I was having way too much fun doing water aerobics in the highly chlorinated YMCA pool, not anymore : (and they don't have good yoga classes)

Also, the interesting fact about whole grains which are not soaked contains anti nutrients that I just posted on another thread, if they are not fully digested they ferment in the gut and are food for yeast/bad bacteria. How many of us eat whole wheat etc. thinking it's healthier?

Oh yeah and we all eat too much sugar (well I don't anymore).
Just too many grains in general that feed yeast.
And the low fat craze probably contributes too, not eating enough of the proper fats or eating trans fats.

Our vegetables and fruits are not farmed correctly and don't have beneficial bacteria on them to continue to support us.... as fermented foods and homemade yogurts with probiotics are not a part of most people's diets.

And antibiotics.
Birth control pills
Steriods.
Constipation.

Modern Life is the The Cause.
#83 of 348 Old 08-06-2005, 08:53 PM

Wow this thread is becoming huge, it's awesome!

Hope we are not overwhelming readers ... I'm totally open to criticism of the SCD and talking about other ways of going about this FYI to any lurkers.

Hey Moneca, is that White Egret woman coming?
#84 of 348 Old 08-06-2005, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a link I found re: enzymes and probiotics

http://www.enzymestuff.com/dietsmeds.htm#3

Nothing too specific. I stopped Sierra's enzymes and I could tell that her digestion was pitiful because she vomited three days in a row with pooping. This shows me that she has started eating more in the last three weeks and her little system can't handle the increased amount yet on it's own. Oh, well. I'm still going to give her bedtime yoghurt without enzymes since she has all night to digest it. The article above wasn't convincing that protease kills all probiotics. I'll have to hope for the best until her gut heals some more.

Jane - I hope that Lee from White Egret will make it to this thread. I know that she is swamped. My order of raw goat yoghurt should be coming from them this week. I'll probably just save it for her nightime bottle in case the enzymes do kill the good guys.

Peace,
#85 of 348 Old 08-06-2005, 10:42 PM

Oh man my head just swims when I catch up on this thread. There is such a wealth of info here and I wanted to thank you Mamas again for plowing the way!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#86 of 348 Old 08-07-2005, 10:05 PM

Moneca,

It was the info on the Candex site that I first heard about protease and probiotics:
http://www.pureessencelabs.com/candex.php

I don't think you should stop all enzymes, just don't give them with the yogurt!
#87 of 348 Old 08-07-2005, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Jane - :LOL I've actually read that before on the Candex site and forgot about it . I hope that one day my brain recovers from this past year .

I have a ton of info to share with everyone - it's been a very informative weekend - just bear with me.

Along with BTVC, MD, and NT there are a few more books I'd like to suggest to the mamas who enjoy learning and doing research to better understand gut issues and healing. While I do believe that both the SCD and MD heal the gut, I think that the MD does so more quickly because of the use of organic raw foods that SCD does not incorp. The two additional books are Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz (had to buy both of these, but they are wonderful resources that I've been highlighting ) and Juicing for Life by Calbom and Keane ( both have their MS in nutrition from Bastyr University in WA where my ND went to school). I have found the Wild Fermentation just fascinating.

The following are all quotes from Wild Fermentation that I wanted to share :

"Fermentation also creates new nutrients. As they go through their life cycles, microbial cultures create B vitamins, including folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, and biotin" Chapter 1

"Some ferments have been shown to function as antioxidants, scavenging cancer precursors known as "free radicals" from the cells of your body. Lactobacilli create omega-3 fatty acids( wow, I had no clue ), essential for cell membrane and immune system function. The culturing process generates copious amounts of naturally occurring ingredients like superoxide dismustase, GTF chromium, detoxifying coumpunds like glutathione, phospholipids, digestive enzymes, and beta 1,3 glucans." Chapter 1

"Chlorine is used in water precisely because it kills microorganisms. If you can smell or taste the chlorine in tap water, either boil it to evaporate the chlorine before using the water for fermenting, or use water from another source." Chapter 4 (I think it was Liane that had posted a related question.)

"I like to use sea salt. It's fine to ferment with either sea salt or pickling salt, but don't use the standard supermarket table salt with added iodine and anti-caking agents. Iodine is antimicrobial, like chlorine and could inhibit fermentation" Chaper 4

For anyone in the Tennessee area : "Food for Life is a food skills, information, and politics gathering held every summer at the Sequatchie Valley Institute near Chattanooga, TN. There are various fermentation workshops and many other interesting topics. I highly recommend this event. It draws an eclectic crowd of activists, gardeners, and cooks. For information, you can contact S.V.I. at Route 1, Box 304, Whitwell, TN 37397, (423)949-5922, www.svionline.org" Chapter 6

www.enzymestuff.com Good site on enzymes. There is an area of the site called "studying stool" that might be helpful to the mamas of babes with digestion/absorbtion issues. You have to click on "related topics" at the top and then "studying stool" comes up on the left side at the bottom of the selection choices.

My kefir was so good with some raw honey and blueberries

I hope some of this helps. Enjoy the last few hours of your weekend! All of you inspire me to research and learn even more - thanks !!!
#88 of 348 Old 08-08-2005, 01:25 AM

Thanks for the information Moneca! Do the benefits of fermentation occur even if you are only fermenting/culturing yogurt and kefir? I haven't ventured yet into the veggie fermenting realm yet as I'm not sure if any of us will like it. I do want to get the NT book - the MD book has a few recipes in it - enough to get me interested in reading the whole NT book.

I read the link about studying stools, but have a more basic question I think: is it NOT normal to have undigested pieces of food in your stools? Both my boys, but ds#2 in particular (he's 20 months) often pass chunks of carrots (or corn, though we've eliminated that for now ... we are still in phase 1 of MD), or other food. I know he's still not the best chewer, but are undigested pieces of food a sign that his digestive tract still isn't functioning fully yet? He is starting to eat yogurt every night ... both boys love it ... and both I know have issues with yeast simply because they both had issues with thrush when younger and I know we only treated the symptoms but didn't do a good job at the time of getting rid of it. : Ds#2 in particular had a nasty time getting rid of the thrush at about 2 months old. Even though the MD says that corn can be brought back in after the first two weeks, I'm wondering if we shouldn't just keep it out of our diets for now and instead bring in sprouted wheat flatbread (homemade). Hmm ... so many unknowns. I do know this: our diet and bodies are much better off now than they were before beginning the MD ... just the sheer elimination of processed foods and refined foods is amazing. (Interesting note: saturday after synagogue, we let our boys [basically only ds#1 - ds#2 was happy with some bread and cheese] have some "snacks" during the "fellowship" time ... later that day ds#1 complained of having a slight tummy ache. We told him that unfortunately that's what yucky food does to your system ... he had punch and a cookie *blech*. What's cute though, is now he'll say, I think I need some yogurt. )

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#89 of 348 Old 08-08-2005, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
My kefir was so good with some raw honey and blueberries

Moneca, this is just the way my kids love kefir best too. I also add some raw cream (cow) for an extra bit of fat.

In the summer when the kiddos are swimming just about every day, I make sure they drink as much kefir as I can get down them to offset the chlorine in the pool water.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#90 of 348 Old 08-08-2005, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Hi, my name is Liane and I have a 5mo old dd.
I just read through this thread and I feel so depressed and hopeless (I haven't gotten to all the articles yet, though). Around 3 mo baby's poops changed to green, sometimes watery and stringy with mucous. She also got a rash on her cheeks, and a red ring on her bum. She doesn't have good bf poops anymore, and I feel like I am poisoning her every time I nurse her.

I've tried to cut out dairy for about 2 weeks now, and it is easy to tell that when I have any dairy like cheese or butter (?) here bum gets bright red and her poops get more watery.

I've started giving her Baby Jarrow with some water, but now I am reading that it might be bad for her! I think she has some yeast too, but I don't know what to do about that. I started grinding flax seeds for me but this might be bad too.

I talked to my NP but she said to wait a month before doing any allergy tests just to see if it's only dairy. I don't think she is getting better, and it seems like she reacts to things but I am not sure what it is that she is reacting to.

I should not have had a baby, I didn't know she would have alllergies so little--what if it just gets worse and worse?

So much conflicting advice, and now I am wondering about this diet that has seemed to help all of you--

Anyway, just wanted to thank you for starting this thread and I'll keep reading and maybe get some ideas on what do to next.
Ha ha, sorry for quoting myself, but I wanted to make it easier for people to read. I've been off of dairy now for 3 weeks (trying very hard, but difficult to catch everything) and baby's poops are not green anymore. Her poop is still sometimes watery yellow with stringy mucous in it. The rash on her face is getting better, and does not turn bright red anymore (no eggs for us either). Occasionally the red bullseye rash comes back, it does not seem related to anything I am eating.

I'm trying to write down what I eat, and the condition of her poop and rash everyday, I'm going to ask my husband to make me an excel sheet so it's easier.

We're still doing Baby Jarrow and regular acidophilus for me (non-dairy). I stopped eating flax seed so now I know we are not getting any EFAs in our diet. I'm looking into cod liver oil or flax oil, so that will be starting soon as soon as I can figure out a good one (still reading old posts). Sometimes I put evening primrose oil on her face. Is it good for me to take this orally as well? I'm taking a prenatal prescribed by my NP too.

I did not think I had any reactions at all to food or had any yeast but today I discovered that I have a bullseye rash identical to my daughter's. Sorry if TMI, really really sorry. I don't know if I have had this before, I mean, how often do you look at your own bum? :LOL

I made some yogurt last night but the almond milk was a failure (will try again) and the yogurt that turned out well was made from 2% and dry milk with regular yogurt from the store. I don't want to start eating this yogurt because I'm afraid her poop will turn green again in a week or two.

I am convinced yeast is at the root of our problems, and my digestive system (as well as my daughters) are a mess because of it. What else can I do to actively treat yeast? I am not eating any processed sugar or honey (but still eating fruit). I am also not eating bread. Should I stop eating oatmeal too? I'm putting some baking soda in our bath water too. I don't give baby a bath that often and only showers for me because of dry skin (lack of EFAs, I am thinking) so this is not something I can do everyday.

Anybody have any advice for us? sorry this is so long :
Liane

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page