Healing the gut tribe : August - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So what does your child eat? Are you doing SCD or something else? It's just that I'll never get everyone to go along with SCD totally and there's so much I CAN'T do for him on that--like I am NOT giving my BABY nut flour!

I'd like to know how to treat this whole yeast thing but be a little more 'forgiving' than that diet is..........I think we BOTH have it and could benefit from being on the same diet. I guess my big thing though is I'm kinda a 'cheater' type, I LOVE indian food and a lot of it is rice, I love Chinese and again a lot of rice......................DS loves Indian too I'd like to just be able to feed the baby! I hate feeling like I can't give him ANYTHING when we go somewhere! (of course then there's his dad who doesn't want to listen to anything and gave him yogurt the other day, I just decided to go with it and see what happened. He didn't get the severe tummy-ache type crying he had as a younger baby, but he did still get diarrhea.....which his dad thinks was the MANGO not the YOGURT.....arrrgghhhhh...........) I'm IN THIS ALONE here and that makes it that much more frustrating.

That all said, I could highly benefit I think too from a revamp of my own grain consumption habits........different and less.

I wouldn't feel so 'restricted' I guess if I could just make stuff and share it with my kid.

It's easier doing simple dairy-avoidance but I don't think that 'fixes' anything.

And since this is a big discussion on the yeast in both of us..........what's a GOOD probiotic supplement type thing for BOTH of us? I had baby Jarro but i accidentally left it out.....and then I read all the BAD stuff about that.....what's a GOOD one???

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#122 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh and regarding the Whole Approach site I notice they recommend FOS or chicolin. I totally believe the SCD warning against using FOS, I think that really hurt us.
#123 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde
Interesting - I noticed the same thing with dd's poop when she ate a bunch of cooked carrots the other night. It was almost totally orange. Are we sure that's not somewhat normal? Because a lot of these things happen to me too . . . although I'm figuring out how abnormal my digestion is - I've always been skinny (other than during my last pg), I eat a LOT (my so-called "fast metabolism" makes sense now - of course you can eat like a horse and not gain weight if it just passes straight through!), and have signs of nutrient depletion. Thankfully, preparing foods the NT way I've finally regained energy, but of course I'm frustrated that I can't "cheat" without feeling ill effects.
You just answered your own question... the test about what is normal is "ill effects". It's definately not normal for adults to have discernible undigested food in their stool. And the whole premise of SCD for Crohn's, IBD, IBS etc is that what the body is unable to digest causes harm.

You might benefit from a stool analysis to have something tangible to refer to. I think you should try enzymes and hydrochloric acid supplements...I like the Betaine HCI tablets from Country Life, start with 1 a meal and go up to 2 or 3 for large meals. If it burns like acid indigestion, you've taken too much, but if you feel ok, you need the extra stomach acid.

I've noticed the same pattern with my own digestion... gassy, bloated, bits of veggies and fruit skin in my soft stool was at the height of my problems and now when I'm better, is the sign of a reaction.

I've cheated on vacation recently without hardly any ill effects (just some gas ) but went back to eating carefully when I got home b/c I knew if I continued, the balance in my intestines would go back to being bad. If you read the science behind the SCD it totally makes sense... your body might get better enough to handle a little cheating at some point in your journey when you start to feel better. But if the bad bacteria start to gain the upper hand again, you've tipped the scale way too far and it will take that much more time to get better again.

Quote:
Does anyone have a reference to what *is* normal for stools? How can I tell when we're really starting to digest things? Also, in the Fourfold Path to Healing he recommends going pretty much no-carb (no grain or sugar to be more precise - maybe no fruit I can't remember at the moment) for two weeks to begin healing with digestive issues (along with the most important thing - lactofermented veggies and drinks), but should I really be doing this during pregnancy? If I eat a lot of liver for my B vitamins, continue to use nutritional yeast and temporarily take a supplement will that be okay? Any thoughts? I'm not there yet because I want to do that other diet first to see how it goes, but I'd like to start thinking about it just in case.
I wouldn't go no carb during pregnancy.

I react strongly to nutritional yeast, be careful with it.

Make sure the liver is organic and preferably pasture fed.

Which other diet? SCD? I think that would be fine during pregnancy b/c you can get plenty of carbs from fruit, veggies (esp. butternut squash and carrots) and honey.

I haven't seen references for normal adult stool patterns thus yet... maybe you could research and report back to us?
#124 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 01:43 PM

I guess what I'm a little unsure of when it comes to stuff like SCD is that not all methods of preparation are equal when it comes to grains. Grains are much more digestible when soaked or sprouted. Grains like rice which are low in phytates are more easily digestible when consumed with bone broths (gelatin). Same thing with health info on milk or meats. Raw milk should be listed in a totally different category than pasteurized. Fat from grassfed animals contains a lot of omega-3's while fat from grainfed contains none, so they should be viewed differently. Same with the meat - even the meat from a humanely slaughtered cow differs from the meat of a factory-farmed animal because of fear hormones present in the muscle meat of the factory-farmed animal. It just irks me that nutrition in our society takes such an "all things are equal" attitude, because it is very untrue. I think that's why I take issue with the results of so many nutrition studies - they don't factor in all the variables.
Anyway, my point is maybe it isn't a question of avoiding all these foods, but making sure they have a good origin and making sure they are prepared in the most easily digestible manner, yk? I don't know - I'm just so angry about the state of "food" in our society right now.
Oh, I had a revelation yesterday that I wanted to share with you all. Dd's rash coincided with starting on solid foods - restaurant solids no less : We were on vacation for three weeks and she wanted some. I truly thought the food choices were healthy, but looking back I'm sure they were just as processed as stuff from a can. I feel terrible about it.
#125 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Make sure the liver is organic and preferably pasture fed.
Ah, but of course Actually, I've started to eat a tiny bit raw (well, in a smoothie) about once a week and have noticed a difference in energy.

Quote:
Which other diet? SCD?
No, the "healthy recovery" diet in Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Enig and Fallon. It's not a weight loss diet but a healing diet, with a lot of daily lactofermented veggies and drinks. I'm looking forward to having my meals planned out for me for a while Sometimes it's good not to have to think.
#126 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakers_mama
So what does your child eat? Are you doing SCD or something else? It's just that I'll never get everyone to go along with SCD totally and there's so much I CAN'T do for him on that--like I am NOT giving my BABY nut flour!

I'd like to know how to treat this whole yeast thing but be a little more 'forgiving' than that diet is..........I think we BOTH have it and could benefit from being on the same diet. I guess my big thing though is I'm kinda a 'cheater' type, I LOVE indian food and a lot of it is rice, I love Chinese and again a lot of rice......................DS loves Indian too I'd like to just be able to feed the baby! I hate feeling like I can't give him ANYTHING when we go somewhere! (of course then there's his dad who doesn't want to listen to anything and gave him yogurt the other day, I just decided to go with it and see what happened. He didn't get the severe tummy-ache type crying he had as a younger baby, but he did still get diarrhea.....which his dad thinks was the MANGO not the YOGURT.....arrrgghhhhh...........) I'm IN THIS ALONE here and that makes it that much more frustrating.

That all said, I could highly benefit I think too from a revamp of my own grain consumption habits........different and less.

I wouldn't feel so 'restricted' I guess if I could just make stuff and share it with my kid.

It's easier doing simple dairy-avoidance but I don't think that 'fixes' anything.

And since this is a big discussion on the yeast in both of us..........what's a GOOD probiotic supplement type thing for BOTH of us? I had baby Jarro but i accidentally left it out.....and then I read all the BAD stuff about that.....what's a GOOD one???
OMG I can't keep up with this thread today... :LOL
Still have some older messages I want to answer but I will do this one first...

DS is 100% SCD since we finally converted him from rice milk to coconut milk. He is still non dairy though, I just cannot tell if he allergic to that or not. We are limiting nut flour. He is 2..

I hear you re: cheating. It's so difficult, I know this. My DH has horrible eating habits, we are talking chips, soda, cookies, donuts, fries, etc. as a regular part of his diet. When we go out especially it's so HARD for me sometimes. But we have seen and lived through the difficult behavioral issues with DS when he isn't eating restrictively, so DH is on board with him at least. Most of the time. He just admitted he gave DS pretzels last weekend, which also probably tipped the balance in favor of DS's system rejecting carrots too.

Maybe if you forward some of the information you've been reading about to your DH he'll start to understand.

I did get better eating lots of rice on the Elimination Diet but then the problems gradually came back. It's your call... you may be able to conquer this without much trouble... or your problems could linger and get worse again. Since we are still in the lingering catagory, I'm not sure you should do as we have done! That's why we're on SCD now, to finally try to heal this for good. I didn't really understand digestion fully until now. I spent over a year going along with a Rotation Diet and my naturopath's view of "food allergies" which I now know are only part of the picture.

Try to find a probiotic with only acidophilus, or with thermophilus and bulgarus added too. Those are the only 3 recommended on SCD. Now I'm not saying ths is the last word on probiotics. All I know is that DS showed the exactly problem that SCD warns against using bifidus so I'm a believer right now. But of course I love my kefir still. The Body Ecology kefir powder starter rocks. I noticed a huge HUGE difference in my digestion when I started it and I've done great on it, so I will continue to use it myself.

We are using a non dairy acidophilus from Kirkman. But that is also grown on dairy but doesn't not contain dairy. The same as the issue with Culturelle that Moneca brought up...

Quote:
Does Culturelle® contain dairy?
The Lactobacillus GG strain in Culturelle® is grown on a whey-based media. In the cheese-making process, casein is the milk protein that precipitates to form the cheese curds (hence the phrase, "curds and whey"). After the Lactobacillus GG is grown on the whey-based media, the bacterial cells are washed and freeze-dried. To test for the presence of dairy proteins (casein and whey), Culturelle® has been submitted to FARRP, an internationally known food allergy research program for an enzyme-linked immuno sorbent assay (ELISA). The casein and whey content of Culturelle® is each less than 15 ppm. Some people can be allergic to these levels of protein.
I still would recommend this based on our experience. It has a lot of research behind it posted on their site. But take those last 2 sentances with a grain of salt. I'm kind of regretting taking DS off of it b/c he did do well on it. It's expensive but it works. It's not SCD recommended, it's L. Casei but that is known as a "community minded" probiotic as well.
#127 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Ah, but of course Actually, I've started to eat a tiny bit raw (well, in a smoothie) about once a week and have noticed a difference in energy.

No, the "healthy recovery" diet in Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Enig and Fallon. It's not a weight loss diet but a healing diet, with a lot of daily lactofermented veggies and drinks. I'm looking forward to having my meals planned out for me for a while Sometimes it's good not to have to think.
Raw in a smoothie, that's a good idea!

OMG I'd love not to think too. Every single diet we've done has needed "modifications". Makes me insane.
#128 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I guess what I'm a little unsure of when it comes to stuff like SCD is that not all methods of preparation are equal when it comes to grains. Grains are much more digestible when soaked or sprouted. Grains like rice which are low in phytates are more easily digestible when consumed with bone broths (gelatin). Same thing with health info on milk or meats. Raw milk should be listed in a totally different category than pasteurized. Fat from grassfed animals contains a lot of omega-3's while fat from grainfed contains none, so they should be viewed differently. Same with the meat - even the meat from a humanely slaughtered cow differs from the meat of a factory-farmed animal because of fear hormones present in the muscle meat of the factory-farmed animal. It just irks me that nutrition in our society takes such an "all things are equal" attitude, because it is very untrue. I think that's why I take issue with the results of so many nutrition studies - they don't factor in all the variables.
Anyway, my point is maybe it isn't a question of avoiding all these foods, but making sure they have a good origin and making sure they are prepared in the most easily digestible manner, yk? I don't know - I'm just so angry about the state of "food" in our society right now.
Oh, I had a revelation yesterday that I wanted to share with you all. Dd's rash coincided with starting on solid foods - restaurant solids no less : We were on vacation for three weeks and she wanted some. I truly thought the food choices were healthy, but looking back I'm sure they were just as processed as stuff from a can. I feel terrible about it.
I think you are exactly right.

You've listed a lot of the issues I have with SCD as a whole... the information I've picked up from NT and WAPF.

I use raw milk for my kefir and DS seemed to do okay on a 1/4 cup a day. Then I freaked out and stopped it when he may have been reacting to something else.

I hear you re: the state of food knowledge, it's pathetic. What passes as nutrition in my mommy group is artificial vitamins and big words on a box of brightly colored crap. And if anything has fruit or milk added, well then it's health food!

I've grown so much since giving what I thought was great: organic brown rice cereal as DS's first food (which promptly started our whole eczema problem with him, he was fine just on breastmilk.)

This has been an exhausting journey but DS's health and mine too will ultimately will be better for it for the rest of our lives...otherwise I wouldn't have found things like NT. Cod liver oil. Eating mostly veggies and fruit instead of grains. Absolutely no processed food. Raw dairy, local farm eggs and pastured meats. It's a huge change, and I thought I was eating healthy before.
#129 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 02:09 PM

Thanks for this thread!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#130 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 02:11 PM

Melanie,

Are those recs from a homeopath or a naturopath? Homeopathy is based on healing with specially prepared medicines that allow the body to heal itself.
#131 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Kayabrink and Zakersmama welcome!

Hearthelde. I'm right there with you as far as the state of food in this society. I think that the question of allowing low phytate grains such as sprouted or soaked grains has to do with the severity of damage to the digestive system. For instance, my system could use some help. I feel wonderful and energetic without and symptoms of digestive problems. I keep all processed foods out of my diet (except for my daily chai :LOL ). I eat very little grains - only sprouted or soaked, 2 glasses of kefir, 1 cup of 24 hour yoghurt, 16 oz of carrot juice with kale, raw veggies and fruits, and only raw dairy & organic grassfed beef, buffalo, chicken, and wild alaskan salmon. I only eat raw nuts. This works well for me despite the daily Starbucks. DD's digestive system is so impaired that she has to be on the SCD until she heals and then I will keep her on an NT diet/maker's diet (well, not that much fat) with occasional cheating so that she can be a normal kid at birthday parties and such.

Kayabrink - Since dd never had diarrhea I'm going to leave most of your questions to Jane since she has experience with this. The most important thing I can suggest is to read BTVC so that you can make an informed decision whether this is for your DS. You can get it from the library if you don't want to buy the book. The diet is between 6 mo to 1 year for most depending on the severity of gut damage. This is a HEALING diet.

There are a lot of questions out there concerning whether or not the SCD must be done for dd and ds to get better. I can't answer those questions for you (I wish I could help out ). It is normal to want the easiest and least restrictive option. I went through this for 10 months and nothing worked as dd continued to get worse. For us the SCD was the only "healer" for dd. If there is something easier that you want to try I would suggest that you go for it. If you notice your babes digestion getting worse regardless of all your efforts then you might want to reconsider the SCD. I think that sometimes you have to travel down the path a bit as Jane and I did before you are willing to commit to such a drastic change. Everything is relative and whether you view the SCD as difficult or not depends on where the journey has taken you. After all of the CRAP we've been through, I was relieved to start the SCD. If you've only cut out dairy it may seem like a mountain instead of a molehill. Please share your journey as you go - we can all learn from each other .

Peace,
#132 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

I hear you re: the state of food knowledge, it's pathetic. What passes as nutrition in my mommy group is artificial vitamins and big words on a box of brightly colored crap. And if anything has fruit or milk added, well then it's health food! - JaneS

HEE HEE!! Sounds like most of my friends. Although, I must say that my mommie group in Brooklyn is so NOT like this. Well, two of the mamas are this way. The rest of the mamas do organic whole foods and extended BF .They have been questioning me to death regarding Sierra's healing diet. They are VERY interesed and supportive. This is one of the reasons that I want to start a Holistic Mom's group when I return to Denver. www.holisticmoms.org

Peace,
#133 of 348 Old 08-13-2005, 06:20 PM

Well, SHE says she is a homeopath.......she did recommend me a mix called Digestazon, but it's an herbal thing too, not the homeopathic stuff I saw at the same store. I wasn't given any 'homeopathic' ideas. Just the diet.

I can't GET raw dairy here!!!!!!!! The closest I have found anywhere is a brand of milk called Farmer's something, organic and non homogenized but it is pasturized.

I CAN get grass fed beef, lamb, organic chicken, good eggs, all the 'right' stuff that way.

And if you only do 'raw' dairy, what about cheese??

Do you think I would see improvement for BOTH of us limiting our bread intake to sprouted-grain only, grass-fed, humane-slaughter meat only (which I do as much as I can anyway) and more fruits, veggies, that kind of thing rather than grains, pasta, stuff like that??'

OK I just don't WANNA give up tortillas and such FOR YEARS........

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Melanie,

Are those recs from a homeopath or a naturopath? Homeopathy is based on healing with specially prepared medicines that allow the body to heal itself.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#134 of 348 Old 08-14-2005, 10:18 AM

a quick question. I got the SCD book, and started the menu. we are still not weaned from illigal food, but my DD complains about "tummy ache" after each meal she had. We are on day 3of the SCD. Am I giving her too much protein?

Thanks
#135 of 348 Old 08-14-2005, 11:19 AM

Oh, I'm sorry to hear she is having tummy ache!
It is a big change for her.
Are you starting strictly with the stages?
(just trying to decide what to feed you guys for lunch still!)
#136 of 348 Old 08-14-2005, 12:08 PM

Yesterday I was eating some of my 24 hr goat yogurt (made from Pasteurized milk) and dd was in my lap. She seemed to want some, so I gave her some, and she liked it, but she wanted to feed herself with the spoon, so I gave up trying to get it into her mouth and she proceeded to get it all over her face. She normally eats finger foods and doesn't eat with utensils (nor have I fed her with them). I noticed the skin beside her mouth looked like it was getting red. Then she started itching, rubbing her whole face, getting the yogurt all over, and I looked at her face-and she was definitely having a contact reaction from the yogurt! Right beside her mouth she had raised bumps, white in center, surrounded by red, and red splotches all over her face. I couldn't believe it! I put her in the bathtub, and wet her face with oatmeal in a washcloth and when she got out I put on the Chinese Pearl Powder cream. The redness started slowly disappearing and this morning it was gone! I definitely think she is allergic to dairy proteins, so I won't be trying to give her any of that again!

I had an appointment w/ a nutritionist next week. For what it is worth, she said she had just gotten back from a conference where one of the presenters said that the amount of phytates in grains that ends up binding minerals when consumed by humans is very small. She says if she remembers she soaks her grains, if not, she doesn't worry about it.
#137 of 348 Old 08-14-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahariz
Then she started itching, rubbing her whole face, getting the yogurt all over, and I looked at her face-and she was definitely having a contact reaction from the yogurt!

I had an appointment w/ a nutritionist next week. For what it is worth, she said she had just gotten back from a conference where one of the presenters said that the amount of phytates in grains that ends up binding minerals when consumed by humans is very small. She says if she remembers she soaks her grains, if not, she doesn't worry about it.
Yikes Sarah!!! I'm so glad it went away quickly. I guess it's good to have a definitive answer too.

I wish I knew more about what causes a dairy protein allergy.
Like for example, the SCD is so specific about what causes the intestines to gradually stop being able to digest grains and what it does to the intestinal bacteria, and then further impairs ability to digest grains, etc. etc.

I've never seen a dairy allergy explained in such a manner... a way that we could understand it better and apply specific principles to correct it.

Although I do have a thought too... that it could have been the acids in the yogurt too? What do you think? Which complicates things I know.

It's so frustrating that there is so little that is known about all this. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

Re: the phytates
It's not just binding minerals, I think they also interfere with digestive enzymes breaking down the grains?

I don't know the exact levels of phytates... but the thing I think about is that for "normal" people with "normal" digestion, it might not make much of a difference. But for people with impaired digestion, it could be crucial, and make the difference between damaged intestines and healthy ones. Was the nutritionist speaking specifically about healing the gut or just general nutrition? Any other interesting things you learned?

I hope Gale Force sees this and has more thoughts, she is very knowledgable about NT.
#138 of 348 Old 08-14-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat
a quick question. I got the SCD book, and started the menu. we are still not weaned from illigal food, but my DD complains about "tummy ache" after each meal she had. We are on day 3of the SCD. Am I giving her too much protein?

Thanks
That's possible... is there anything different you are giving her besides more protein compared to what she usually eats? What is she eating exactly? Has she complained about a tummy ache before or is it something new?
#139 of 348 Old 08-14-2005, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Well, SHE says she is a homeopath.......she did recommend me a mix called Digestazon, but it's an herbal thing too, not the homeopathic stuff I saw at the same store. I wasn't given any 'homeopathic' ideas. Just the diet.

I can't GET raw dairy here!!!!!!!!

And if you only do 'raw' dairy, what about cheese??

Do you think I would see improvement for BOTH of us limiting our bread intake to sprouted-grain only, grass-fed, humane-slaughter meat only (which I do as much as I can anyway) and more fruits, veggies, that kind of thing rather than grains, pasta, stuff like that??'

OK I just don't WANNA give up tortillas and such FOR YEARS........
I'm flummoxed about that homeopath.

Did you try www.realmilk.org? The "Where" section.

Raw cheese is sold in my Whole Foods and other stores, I also get some thru my raw milk co-op from local dairies.

It's is possible you could see improvement with the diet you list... I just don't know sweetie!! I've been in the stage you are in and I totally understand that it's hard to come to terms with at first.

I think the quicker you heal though, the quicker you can go back to eating tortillas. But if the condition doesn't improve, tortillas will continue to torture you for much longer ykwim?

You can maybe also try enzymes and hydrochloric acid supplements if you do eat these things that are giving you trouble now. And of course yogurt.
#140 of 348 Old 08-14-2005, 02:43 PM

*I* do not have any digestive signs, the only reason I think I probably do have some sort of yeast problem is because I spent my *ENTIRE* pregnancy with a y. infection. (Of course, it could have possibly been too that I also had a bacterial infection in the same area and antibiotics for that, which we know doesn't help the yeast situation......)

Is it POSSIBLE for yeast to go from mom to baby that way??

I think I need to find a good probiotic for BOTH of us. I think the addition of kefir or something to MY diet would help me, but with him, there's the dairy deal.....I should probably just find us both a supplement. No bifidus, eh? all right we'll start there.

#141 of 348 Old 08-14-2005, 03:13 PM

Well the newborn is supposed to pick up some of its good bacteria by travelling through the birth canal... so it makes sense that it gets the bad kind too.
#142 of 348 Old 08-14-2005, 03:35 PM

This is all kinda OT, but:
About the homeopath thing, my homeopath is also quite knowledgable about the whole health picture and nutrition is one of those things. He says you can use homeopathics all you want, but if the beginning cause of your problems is dehydration due to drinking too much water and flushing minerals out of your system, for example, you're not going to get better without also, in my case, drinking something other than water like a high potassium potato broth for the duration of nursing or when it's hot outside. Hope that makes sense.
Personally, I'm seriously considering becoming a Heilkunst (which means "whole art") practitioner of homeopathy myself www.heilkunst.com I will be starting their "first aid" course as soon as I fax in the application, and receive all my stuff, and if I like it, I will consider doing both human and veterinary homeopathy - I'm also very curious about their nutrition course. There is a lot of controversy surrounding whether Heilkunst is true homeopathy or whether only Classical Homeopathy is, but to me the argument is moot. I don't personally believe homeopathics alone can heal everything - if your daily diet consists of McDonalds or Burger King for breakfast and lunch, you're not going to get healthy just using homeopathy, yk?
#143 of 348 Old 08-14-2005, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I think the addition of kefir or something to MY diet would help me, but with him, there's the dairy deal.....I should probably just find us both a supplement. No bifidus, eh? all right we'll start there.
You could try making the coconut milk kefir-I just made a batch. It is kind of fun (I use an electric drill to get into the coconut-and to me it isn't any harder-maybe easier-to make than the 24 hr yogurt from the SCD.

http://www.bodyecologydiet.com/coconutkefir.php
#144 of 348 Old 08-15-2005, 12:48 AM

I NEED to subscribe to this thread, and THANK YOU to those that started it and have kept it going. I have been dealing with digestive/food allergy issues with my son for almost four years now and have found nothing that works and no one to listen to me. Reading this thread, now I know that I am not alone and it makes me giddy almost to read about moms taking charge in the care of their children. I have learned so much from this thread, and again, I thank you!
#145 of 348 Old 08-15-2005, 12:52 AM

My poor little baby just broke out in hives (?) just now, little red raised bumps all over. Then they turned splotchy and she just looked horrible for a while. I drank a bunch of water and gave her some too and now she is sleeping, but I am so sad! I was on a dairy free diet but cheated at a restaurant (I don't know what was in the food I ate). I also ate some almond butter today, that was the only thing different than what I usually eat. My poor baby, she also has a red rash that spread up to her vulva and it is painful when she pees and when I wipe her. I feel like her reactions are getting worse and worse, I think there was just a bit of cheese in my tortillla chips at the restaurant and the rash on her face got bright red a few hours later. I'm calling my NP tomorrow and see if we can go in to check her out again instead of waiting one more month.

I just wanted to say to all you mamas struggling with digestive issues, I feel so bad for what is happening to my baby.

I'm going to go buy BTVC online right now, I'm beginning to think this is the only way to help her.

Thanks so much for being here everyone!
#146 of 348 Old 08-15-2005, 12:53 AM

Hmmmm so *how* do you make coconut kefir though? It doesn't say a temp-ferment process and all that. I can't watch the video, I don't have sound!!

#147 of 348 Old 08-15-2005, 01:08 AM

OK so lemme see if I get this....

My SCD book went back to the library BEFORE I could write down recipes from it!! (my mom was TRYING to be nice, but I was going to take it back on Monday the 15th--it was due the 16th and ILL, so a BUCK a day for overdue!!)

If I were to do SCD with my baby, since I wouldn't give him any of the dairy at this point (reacts to it) and no nut flour because well, he's a BABY, then he CAN have any vegetables other than corn (which I don't give him anyway), white potatoes (which I've only given him once maybe), and sweet potatoes. And NO canned veggies, which I don't do anyway, except we do eat canned tomatoes....and beans have to be dry prepared.

and he can have any fresh fruit, but bananas have to be *really* ripe, with the skins having brown spots, and canned fruit if it is in juice.

Absolutely NO grains whatsoever.

And the whole point of things like kefir is to get the 'good guys' into him. Is there something 'special' about the fermented milk, coconut, or whatever that is also good for digestion? Or is it just that the 'good guys' are in there?

If our problem *IS* yeast, I want to avoid sugar and the like obviously, because yeast likes sugar. That would also apply to sweet potatoes, right? Where I'm confused is where grains come in.
DS did fine with grains in his diet, I took him off only because the homeopath said to do it, and SCD recommends it too. I am fairly sure I'm going to leave him off grains till he can chew *real* grains well. (I did what JaneS did too, 'ooh organic whole-grain cereal...' but mine was the multi-grain, I did worse at first, GERBER :P)

Anyway I'm trying to come up with something that seems 'sane' and 'doable' for BOTH of us.....I was thinking I could do things that would be healthy for both of us like oatmeal in the crockpot overnight waiting for us in the AM.

I might read more about this body ecology diet.....anybody got any other 'diet' info??

#148 of 348 Old 08-15-2005, 02:27 AM

OK to sum it all up, I think our problem has a lot of possible causes.

1. DS did have vax'es up to 6 months. *I* also had a flu shot when he was 2 mos. old and still getting my EBM. HIS problems began at age 3.5 months, about a month after I got the flu shot and a month and a half after his vax'es. They worsened about a month and a half later, after his 4 mo old shots to where he could not tolerate dairy in my diet via EBM either. (He'd done OK w/it up to that point even though he couldn't tolerate regular formula as a supplement.)

2. At my OB's rec, I took 4 Rolaids a day while pregnant--NOT because I had heartburn, but because I needed extra calcium!! (leg cramps from *ell...) I was just reading about the HCl stuff......makes me wonder.

3. I had a yeast infection the ENTIRE time I was pregnant, which makes me think *I* have a y. problem and DS probably somehow got it from me.....I never had a full blown y. infection before I was pregnant, but I do think it was there, I'm not going to go into detail. That's been gone since DS's birth.

I'm having a LOT of frustration now as to exactly how I should handle this with DS.
My main questions

1. I can't find ANY info on using SCD with a child under 1 year old. I really do NOT think it's a good idea to give the nut flours or dairy to my baby until at LEAST a year, maybe even more like 18 mos or 2. (yeah he IS 10 months but...)

2. Sometimes I wonder if we really NEED to be 'that extreme'. DS does not seem to have a problem with some good whole grains (and very occasionally some not-so-whole..) in his diet. And there's times like last night where we're at a friend's house for dinner.....the whole meal is you use your pita bread to pick up whatever else you're eating. So yeah, I gave DS some pita bread dipped in a little sauce, etc. I want him to grow up enjoying food from his dad's culture too.......in fact, his poop today looks more 'normal' than from a couple days ago with NO grains at all..........

I wonder if maybe the answer lies in starting from scratch, assuming he can tolerate all the fruits and veggies he's had just fine, and journaling what happens as I add in some grains and meats again?

And I'm confused with how to do the whole probiotic thing! Kefir is good, kefir is bad--yogurt is better.......ds can't handle dairy right now........coconut kefir made with body ecology probiotics claims to help.......Do I even HAVE TO make yogurt at all? Can I just give him the probiotic in something else.

and sugar feeds yeast, but SCD and other diets do allow fruit......so if I mix the happy probiotic powder into say, some applesauce, or a bit of mashed banana, I'm not defeating the purpose??

and one last question I promise I'll stop here----does anyone know ANYTHING at all about the effects of Nutramigen and similar corn-syrup based hydrolyzed protein formulas on the gut? And if I were to take the little guy off that, what WOULD I feed him? I keep hearing 'goat milk' but then I hear that lots of kids who have problems with dairy also have problems with goat milk?? But then the other night my friend who is bf'ing a baby who is reacting to something was told to take dairy and soy out of her diet but that she COULD have goat milk............(babe is near 2 mos old and had eczema from the sound of it, I didn't see anything on her face but well, I don't look over other people's babies)

I'm afraid to take the chance with goat milk and also concerned that it doesn't contain iron.

#149 of 348 Old 08-15-2005, 03:15 AM

Just joining in as I try to figure out what to do with my family's diet. Here is our background.

Ds1 (4 yrs) is severely allergic to corn (ana. reactions to high corn protien content, lots of other allergic symptoms to corn in all other forms, so all processed food are out). He is also dx'd as Autism Spectrum. He seems fully autistic when eating corn products (NOT corn, but things like glucose/fructose, vitamin A palimate, ascorbic acid, etc) and once we removed those things from his diet he improved dramatically. He still has lots of food issues, he only eats a handful of foods (wheat, nut butters, maple syrup, yogurt, potatoes, occationally apples and bananas, some cheeses). He is iron deficient and is low on all the vitamins/minerals he was tested for. He has never had a solid stool that I can remember. I know that yeast is a concern, but most acidophilus I have found locally is grown with maltodextrin, which he can't have (corn). I am so careful about what he eats because of the severity of his allergy that I know he isn't getting any corn products, but I still feel he is reacting to something.

Ds2 (almost 2 years) is reactive to soy and dairy. I eat dairy though and he doesn't *seem* to react. He also doesn't tolerate goats milk, though he loves it. He also has never had a solid stool and surely has a yeast problem.

Dd is 3 months and I DON'T want to face these things with her as well, so I am highly motivated to change things immediately.

We are also vegetarian (lacto-ovo) and will not change that for any diet, so we are limited in that regard. I am currently trying to figure out which path to follow.

What are the main differences between the SCD and the MD? I know several people who are incorperating aspects of the MD into their eating, so it seems like a good place to start.

Also, can I make 24 hour yogurt (either dairy or goats) in an old Salton yogurt maker? What about coconut milk yogurt, if I get it canned, do I need to dilute it to make yogurt out of it? How much to dilute it for drinking for my toddler?

I have tons more to figure out, but I will save that for a time when I am more clear-headed :LOL

#150 of 348 Old 08-15-2005, 09:35 AM

I recieved this question via email from a friend of mine who has a DD with autism.

Have you heard of somebody overcoming food allergy by dealing with intestinal issues? Is that why you’re doing this? I was under the impression that leaky gut is more to do with behavior problems rather than food allergy. My understanding is that leaky gut (extremely permeable intestine) lets through peptides into the blood system, then, peptides are carried to the brain and act as drugs such as morphine or like LSD causing behavioral problems (casimorphine and glutamorphine). Food allergy, on the other hand is a reaction of immune system, so leaky gut or not, once protein is in the system, you get IgE or IgG reaction. But I read stuff like this a while ago, so maybe there’s a different understanding to it now. Anyway, since you’re doing a test with GSL, have you heard about their intestinal permeability test? It tests whether you have a leaky gut. Well, how leaky your gut is at least. Since intestinal wall is permeable to an extent, they’ll probably provide the normal range, I suppose. I hope their data is good, though. This test at least controls the variable by giving you a challenge drink and measures how much of what you have drunk gets in your system, but it might vary by age and I don’t know if they take that into account. What I didn’t like about them then (I don’t know if they’re still the same way now) is that they did not want to give me the approximate cost of these tests. They said that they did not provide that information until the doctor actually orders the test kits. Their food allergy panel also seems good although many mothers I see at the support group used Immuno Lab for that. If it turns out to be food allergy, there are other ways to deal with it with traditional medicine such as immuno therapy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page