Bubble bath = diaper rash? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-29-2002, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just trying to figure out a mystery in our house. My 23 month old dd's never had a diaper rash before (except when she had tummy flu but that's different). She's cloth diapered, and the diapers are washed in HOT water and rinsed well. The only thing I can think is we just got this new bubble bath a few days ago. I know, I know, you aren't supposed to use bubble bath but I did anyway. She loves playing with the bubbles but it's going bye-bye.

She's now got a diaper rash of the little red pimple-like things all around her vulva area that showed up 2 days ago. When I inspected her vaginal opening it was a very angry red color and was shocking, but no signs of discharge from a yeast infection that I can see. I just bought some Aveeno diaper rash cream to try (the first tube of rash cream we've ever had to buy) and she's in a sposie to help keep the area drier overnight. Besides all of her diapers are getting washed extra good right now to make sure it's not anything with them, so we don't have any cloth ones available.

Has anyone ever heard of a diaper rash caused by bubble bath, or should I start looking at other possible causes? Could it just be that her pee is getting more concentrated since she gave up bottles, or because she's getting older?

Thanks again!
Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-29-2002, 03:13 AM

I don't know about diaper rash specifically, but bubble bath can cause all kinds of skin reactions and also vaginal infections in little girls. I stopped using it with my stepdaughters, since both were prone to childhood eczema, and it was an irritant. Often it has pretty powerful ingredients! If you're going to use it, I would say to at least get the one with the least additives you can, and fully rinse your daughter afterwards in clean water so it doesn't coat her skin. But given what her reaction may have been, I'd give it a rest for a while. (I love bubble baths, though!)

If she loves bubbles (and who doesn't?), why not stick to blowing them? 'Bubble juice' is a constant favourite here.
#3 of 4 Old 11-29-2002, 09:57 PM

Ditto what mammastar said. I have eczema, and can't use any bubblebath (or anything else) that has any fragrance or other irritating ingredients. So it can definitely irritate, just like certain soaps. It certainly sounds like it was the bubblebath, and not the cloth diapers.
#4 of 4 Old 11-30-2002, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks you two. The rash is gone and NO more bubble bath. Just plain water from now on. I don't think it was the diapers because it would have shown up when I got the new ones a couple weeks go, not just a couple days ago.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page