Talk to me about depression.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2002, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I am going out on a limb here. I am not normally the type to air all of my so called "dirty laundry", especially when it has to do with my own flaws.
However, I am finding myself in a not very good place and I need advice from you experienced Mama's.
Background: I have suffered from clinical depression on and off since I was an adolesent. It was first noticed in Junior High. I have seen all kinds of Social Workers, Psychiatrists, Psychologists, etc.
A few years ago I suffered a nervous breakdown. I dropped out of college and went on disablility from work. I was referred to a decent Psychiatrist (through my Union) who put me on anti depressants. First Celexa, which helped with the depression but deadend me to all sensation. Next Wellbutrin which worked wonderfully and allowed me to feel really good for the first time in years, with no side effects.
I was on the Wellbutrin for a few months and decided that I was "cured" so I stopped. Cold Turkey. I know that is not good.
Fast forward 3 years- I am married and I have a new baby that I am nursing.
Jacob is 9 months old. I didn't feel like I had PPD with him until recently. I feel all the usual depression symptoms and I feel them pretty severly.
I know there are some anti depressants that are compatible with nursing but I am not sure that is the route I want to take.
I know I need to see someone, but who? What kind of Doctor?
I thought it would help if I could hear some of your stories.
Have any of you been in this position? How did you handle it?
Natural remedies, good books?

~Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2002, 11:18 AM

I wish I could give you a great hopeful answer but I don't have one. I just wanted to offer support and say I understand how hard it is. I was diagnosed with Borderline Personlaity Disorder two years ago (dd was 2 then) . I stopped seeing my shrink cuz they insisted on medicating me. Since then I have taught myself coping techniques to better handle my depressive spells..but what has helped the most is the support of my extended family/frineds.

Are there any support groups in your neighborhood? Maybe your local hospital would know? or a local community group?

I did do the St. John's wort thing for awhile and it eased the edge but I don;t think you can take that while nursing.

Good luck and my thoughts are with you.

Peace
Old 01-03-2002, 11:20 AM

by the way don't stress the dirt laundry thing..there is nothing dirty about looking to take care of your health
Old 01-03-2002, 01:18 PM

For many women, fatty acid deficiencies can result in varying degrees of depression. Also, it's particularly important to get enough while breastfeeding. Another interesting thing to note is that fatty acid deficiency is sometimes an indication of the inability to convert dietary fatty acids due to zinc deficiency & therefore, fatty acid supplementation can compensate for zinc deficiency.

http://www.powerpak.com/ce/omega3/dietitian/lesson.cfm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Old 01-07-2002, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies so far.
I am bumping to get some more.
Lots of views, surely some have some thoughts?

Jennifer
Old 01-07-2002, 04:53 PM

I too have struggled thru several bouts of depression with an anxiety base. The worst episodes were in undergrad, when I couldn't barely function (ie eat, sleep, attend classes) during an active period. I managed to resist medication somehow and get thru each episode.

What has worked for me is Chiropractic care. Since I became a regular chiropractic patient, I have suffered considerably less episodes. When I start to feel an epidode coming on, I will go immeadiately to be checked and I tell you every single time my atlas (top of neck) is waayyy out of whack. When I am having a mini episode (which is all I ever have now) I need to be chacked and often adjusted almost every day... but I finally stabilize (within a week or so) and recover. I also employ increased vigilance with good nutrition, exercise and try to increase my exposure to sun. I tend to have an episode once or twice a year now but I usually can nip it in the bud.

BTW, I also have several patient with similar stories who come to my office (chiropractic) for adjustments with fantastic results. Just one more perspective for you to consider. If you want details on how it works, I will be happy to supply them.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:05 PM

Along similar lines, I wonder if a weekly appt with a massage therapist might be of some benefit? Maybe even in conjunction with aromatherapy?

Old 01-07-2002, 05:13 PM

i myself have been dealing with depression since my childhood. I was diagnosed with "ADHD" , was put on many virieties of anti depressants and even a mild form of speed. none of it did anything but make me a zombie. i attrube current health conditions(stomach ulcers,liver disorders,and a thyroid deficiency to these theripies. i now pracice herbal medicine. i would encourage you to stay away from conventional medine. for thewell being of yourself and your child.
as far as herbal medications that are safe for depression. i would recomend using flower essances(bach fower remadies.
passion flower and st. john's wart are both mild mao-inhibiters. i personnally have never seen anything about these herbs being unsafe for BFing mothers only pregnant mothers because they stimulate uterous contractions and are both used by midwifes around the world for this purpose
i would still recommend you to see a naturopathic physician and see what they would recomend.
by the way my name is mike i havent figured out how to set up my own sn yet. well i hope this at least helps you a little
Old 01-08-2002, 12:00 AM

I have a couple clients that come to me for acupuncture and shiatsu to help them deal w/ depression. I have seen a lot of progress in them. It is said that regular bodywork helps maintain healthy seratonin levels- which can keep depression and mood swings from getting out of control.
I also have an aunt who after many anti-depressants, and trying various herbs, says that taking the supplement Sam-E has "cured" her of her depression.
I have a friend that swears by flax oil. She said she takes high doses of flax oil daily and it keeps her moods posative.
I know that since I began taking Essential Fatty Acids daily, that my moods are definately more level, and I feel happier in general.
Also, the more often I receive bodywork, the less stress I feel, as well as feeling more posative.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:14 AM

Before you take anti-depressants again I highly recommend

Your Drug May Be Your Problem: How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications
by Peter R., Md Breggin, David, Phd Cohen

I do not totally agree with this guy. But he makes some valid points.

I am currently weaning off of Paxil. I wish I had read his book first.

I do not think this guy knows what it is to be a women with a hormonal influx making you nuts. (at least I was).

But there is a balance to be had. I stop taking Paxil because I got to the point of I did not want to go off of it because I did not want to be the way I was before the Paxil. This made me realize I never deal with the issues. Also what I started asking myself what is the difference of me taking Paxil to make me feel better and smoking pot??

I know at the time Paxil was a good option, and I am glad I had it to help but I wish I was more decicive on a stopping point. I also wish I had spent more time dealing with the issues.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:49 PM

Has anyone here tried St. John's Wort for depression (while still nursing?) I am considering this myself and would love to hear about others' experience.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:04 PM

Yes, I've used St. John's Wort while nursing. PMS and mother-in-law induced depression/irratibility sends me running. I only take it once in the morning on the "icky" days and that's all I need. I take the Herbs for Kids brand because it has no alcohol and has some other good herbs thrown in there. Works great for me and I'd found no research against it's infrequent use. I probably take 3 or 4 doses per month. (7 or 8 if MIL is visiting)

sandi
Old 01-14-2002, 08:43 PM

Hi,
Regarding St Johns wort while nursing, I've taken formulas containing it while nursing and not worried about it. I've never come up with anything credible about not taking while bf. I recommednd checking into the Essential Fatty Acids, esp fish oil (good quality) as well as things like chiropractic, massage, etc. Also excersize which is a great antidepressant.

As long as we are airing dirty laundry, i have to share part of my experience with depression.
As long as i remember i have had cyclical depressions. As a child (young) i remember telling my mom that i felt bad, kind of like i was guilty of something, she could never help me feel better . I couldn't sleep and would cry at night as young as 4 or 5 (the earliest i can remember)

When i had my first DS i was 29 and i was broadsided by debilitating depression when he turned 3 months old, which happens to be the exact age i was when my parents "got" me,( iwas adopted) It would always pass and then i would feel great for a while, be supermom and everything, then eventually i would have another bout of the blues.

This got progressively worse and the depressions got more agitated and it became impossible to be a decent parent or partner...i had an unwavering stance against any form of allopathic medication, so i endured though the depressions kept coming back and were getting worse.

When i became pregnant with DD at the beginning of the second trimester things got worse that i couldve ever imagined. I felt black and depressed alternating with agitation and wanting everyone to stay away from me (i felt okay when i was alone and things were still) and on some days i was so depressed that all i could do to keep from feeling agitated and starting a fight with DH was to drive around alone listening to inspirational tapes trying to bouy my mood and distract me. I got so bad that i would *wish* for an accident bc i didn't have the courage to kill myself and maybe i knew that it would pass eventually (pretty pathetic).

When i birthed DD i felt elated and wonderfull and absolutely no trace of depression for about 7 months until my moontime began again when the same cycles hit me again.

I eventually relented and went to an allopathic DR for an antidepressant. He gave me Prozac (and i was bf-ing) and i instantly (like the next morning) felt euphoric. When i told him, he diagosed me as Bipolr and he said that the prozac sent me into what is called a hypomanic state which is more like euphoria and not the kind of manic that loses touch with reality.

I've spent the last year trying everything except medications and i've got to say that taking large doses of EPA (fish oil) and balancing my blood sugar through diet and excersize have helped immensly. Also my spiritual life has helped me stay strong.

I've recently had a relapse of symptoms and realize that i've been slack about EPA and excersize (and diet too...) so now i'm back on the wagon and hope for the best, but i realize how much my illness has affected all around me and am willing to do *anything* to be a more even mother and partner. I want my kids to have both parents.

I posted on this topic on the depression board and got no responses, so i figured this was a good place...

I wondered if anyone else has had experiences like these? anyone gotten the dreaded "bipolar" diagnosis? if so , had any luck working with it without allopathic meds?

Blessings, Kelly
Old 01-14-2002, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stClaire

I eventually relented and went to an allopathic DR for an antidepressant. He gave me Prozac (and i was bf-ing) and i instantly (like the next morning) felt euphoric. When i told him, he diagosed me as Bipolr and he said that the prozac sent me into what is called a hypomanic state which is more like euphoria and not the kind of manic that loses touch with reality.

Questions...

-What type of doctor was this?

-How the heck could he make a diagnosis based on just that bit of information?

-Have you ever sought a second opinion?

I have done a lot of research on SSRI's (Prozac, Zolft/ Paxil ...) for personal reasons. I have read that it is not uncommon at all to have this reaction to Prozac (euporia). Many lower the dose/or switch to another SSRI.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:32 PM

It was a Psychiatrist. I edited the story for length (as if it wasn't long enough )
Actually he *did* base his Dx of other factors as well such as family history (i do have some info on my birth family) as well as my description of what i was going through. I have sought many many other opinions *and* i had a hard time accepting the Dx and all of the implications (ex supposedly having to always be on medication)
I have also done alot of my own research and i do feel that i suffer with a depression that is *bi*polar rather than *uni*polar which basically means that i have very pleasant highs alternating with debilitating lows, though not all of the high moods are pleasant ...ex/ agitation and sometimes my mind goes so fast that i have a hard time reading of even following a though all the way through.

The SSRIs have been known to cause hypomanic reactions in bipolar people as well as SamE and 5 htp (happened to me)

What really pissed me off about this Dr. is that he gave me the drug to confirm his Dx (he says that prozac commonly causes it0 and then he very abrubtly gave me this bombshellof a Dx and the told me to "wean your daughter and call me in 2 weeks for a prescription" when i told him that i had no intention of weaning my dd at 12 months he looked at me as if that in itself was a pathology(!!@#!) so he was unwilling to offer support to me during the awful crash that occurred in which i became lower that i have ever been before.

I normally would never go to a psychiatrist bc they (esp this guy) are mainly meds management.

DD woke up , gotta go, but would love to continue conversation
Old 01-15-2002, 04:27 AM

I recommend befor a book by Peter R. Breggin, MD. He has a couple of books one is about what the various drugs can do. Can not remeber excact title, it is something like what your doctor has not told you.

I would encourage you to read it also.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:52 PM

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all of your posts. Depression can be a hard topic to be so open about. Thanks for sharing & supporting....
Old 01-22-2002, 09:30 PM

As a response to the original post, because I doubt this would help with more serious depression... After I miscarried last month, I was feeling very blue, and my anxiety levels were really high. My midwife suggested Rescue Remedy. It has really helped, calms me down. Should be safe with nursing. The midwife knows I am still nursing my 2 yo.

- Chelsea

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List