thrush, please help!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-20-2001, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i long to look on the old board for all of the past suggestions, i remember seeing thrush often.

we all have signs of yeast problems. me: sensitive nipples, dd: thrush in mouth, diaper rash, dh: fungus rash on feet....

we've tried: borax homeopathic for dd. vinegar on everything, teatree oil, lavendar rinsing too. it goes away but comes BACK! acidophilus too...

we are vegetarians/vegans (me/dd) dd bf, she's almost 17months no sugar or dairy for her. we are the least likely candidates for yeast so how do we get rid of it???

ps so glad to be back!!!

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#2 of 11 Old 11-20-2001, 11:09 PM

Check out my response in this section to a mom who posted "Candida?"... Also, I suggest seeing a trained Chinese Herbalist- they have a treatment for thrush that I've heard works wonders. Also, look into Nyastatin, it's a tough antifungal- only available by prescription though. Good luck!
#3 of 11 Old 11-20-2001, 11:30 PM

Have you tried Gentian Violet? I bought a bottle for under $3.00 at our local pharmacy. You can put some on a Q-tip and swab baby's mouth, and then nurse him on both sides which will in turn cover you w/the medicine also. It can stain badly, so best to do when you don't need to get dressed right away. This cleared up my son's case in less than two days.

Christine
#4 of 11 Old 11-21-2001, 03:28 AM

gentian violet 1% strength. Just put it on your nipple before nursing, no need to put it in your babe's mouth. Use it every time you nurse. It makes things very purple, so wear old tshirts. Ask your mid wife to prescribe nipple ointment compound if the gentian doesn't work. I had yeast for 2 months I have used it all. Feel free to write more questions, sarah
#5 of 11 Old 11-21-2001, 12:35 PM

When ds and I had trush, my ped told me to put charcoal powder in ds's mouth and on my nipples. You can buy that at a pharmacy in capsules and just open them and use your fingers. Ds didn't mind and it kind of looks funny, too.
He also told me to wash my nipples with apple cider vinegar after each feeding, avoid all sugars, fruit, honey, yeast breads, etc. and take acidophilus. This treatment took a little longer to clear up the thrush (about 2 weeks), but it cleared it up fpr good. Hope that helps.
#6 of 11 Old 11-21-2001, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input.

what is gentian violet exactly. and with nystatin are there any side effects? i feel funny about giving her/us and traditional medicines, we've been trying to go all natural. BUT we've been battling this thrush/yeast for almost 6 weeks.

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#7 of 11 Old 04-17-2002, 10:20 PM

Are you gettin enough protien? Yeast feeds off of sugar, and carbs are broken down into sugar. It cannot feed on protien, unfortunally vegan diets do not have protien that does not come from a carb, so rethink that unlikely candidate. I am a veg mom recently introduced chicken and fish into childrens diets after bad runin with candida and allergies. Believe me it wasn't easy. Not saying that you have to eat meat, just bringing up a point. Anyway, make sure your baby is getting kid probiotics, and you and husband too. Check them out at natural food stores. Also pau d' arco is an antifungal (tea or capsuls). Also for nursing try GSE liquid in water solution in spray bottle before and after nursing.

Good luck
#8 of 11 Old 04-18-2002, 02:30 PM

GARLIC!!

I had thrush inside my boob duct, DD did not have it in her mouth (she eats tons of yogurt). But I got rid of it somehow. It hurt so bad. I called La Leche League and they suggested going to the gyn for a prescription. The midwife gave me dyflucan (for vag. yeasties) x3 tablets. I took them and it still was there. Maybe that was because it just needed time to work (?). Anyway, I was in a hell of a lot of pain. So I did a huge garlic feast. Raw garlic. Just chewed it up and chased it with a bunch of water. I ate two bulbs in about four days. And my DD kep on nursing! Hot milk mama!

Just an idea.
#9 of 11 Old 04-19-2002, 07:44 PM

My 16 mo ds also has oral hrush.. which concerns me because its unusual at his age.. but thats another story.... I have been giving him grapefruit seed extract..10 drops in about an ounce of water.. swabbing the inside of his mouth about once every hour.. I've been doing this for 2 days now and it seems to be working.. you can use it internally also or swab it on affected skin..just always dilute.
#10 of 11 Old 04-20-2002, 02:24 AM

do not use the nystatin-it takes too long to work and sometimes doesn't at all-ITA with the others gentian violet all the way-make sure you get only 1% and nothing stronger
use it with a cotton swab 3 x the 1st day on each breast
2x the second day on each breast
1 x the 3rd day on each breast-nursing immediatley after doing each app
It does stain everything but thrush will be gone by 3rd day garunteed.
Just make sure you use it wisley-contact your local LLL member or LC for any Q's.
BTW-ds and I had thrush at 4 motnhs of age -it was the worst((((hugs))))

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#11 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 01:51 AM

It always starts for me with biting...accidentally, of course...

I have a standing refill for Nystatin that I haven't needed for some time. I tried everything everyone else used and what finally worked for me was Nystatin, Advil and washing EVERYTHING!!! Toys, towels, tables, linens, wherever the mouth goes...

I also switched to disposable nursing pads and now I drop the not-too-tasty (blech!) grapefruit seed extract on my tongue daily and wash it down with water, fast!

We use vinegar and water cleaner on everything too. You'll probably find a combination of treatments that'll work for you too. I really did not want to use Nystatin but for me it worked.

Hang in there, and when you think it's gone. Do it for another week, really.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page