What is going on here??? Is this normal??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-12-2005, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My twins are now 9 months old and have had serious spitting up issues since they were born...but neither one of them has tested positive for reflux. So a while back I started thinking and had a moment of clarity. I was on meds during my pregnancy several times due to early labor and an early dilating cervix. Both twins were put on meds immediately after birth in the NICU b/c of their prematurity. So, I wondered if all their good bacteria had been destroyed. Several weeks ago I started them on probiotics. In the past couple of days I have noticed a HUGE improvement in my ds, but not so much with my dd. She is still spitting up/throwing up quite a bit, and now something new has been added into the mix. She is pooping all the freaking time. Yesterday morning she woke up covered in poop and then proceeded to poop 4 more times yesterday. This is not diarrhea, just a lot of poop. This morning she was covered in poop yet again. Nothing has changed in her diet to where she would be pooping any more than usual. So...is this normal with probiotics? Does the "cleaning out" of her tummy make her poop more? Also, I know that I've read in several places that the puking can get worse before it gets better...which it definitely has...but what kind of timetable are we looking at here?
Thanks so much for any answers/advice! Oh...sorry if TMI! :LOL
Blessings, mommas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-14-2005, 04:23 PM

Yes, my DS experienced a lot of poop coming out when first starting probiotics...the naturopath warned me that it would happen too. When their intestinal flora changes, it does cause some disturbance. How is she doing today?

Have you thought about giving up dairy? I've seen that it's helped a lot of babes with reflux.
#3 of 4 Old 08-16-2005, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for responding Jane!!
She is actually doing soooooo much better. She started improving yesterday, and it is amazing the difference a day makes! We don't have any naturopaths around here, so sometimes I feel completely clueless.
As for the dairy...we don't do any dairy at our house, so I know that's not the problem. But the probiotics really seem to be working now...they are spitting up sooooo much less, so I think the problem was just the yeasty beasties.
Also, how long do you think I should continue w/ the probiotics? Is it something I should continue indefinetely, or do I need to stop at some point? Like I said...just a little clueless!
Thanks again!
Blessings.
#4 of 4 Old 08-16-2005, 06:12 PM

Well in our experience, we are still fighting an intestinal imbalance... so if it works, DON'T stop IMO!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page