Tonsillitis - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 12-06-2002, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry, I don't have the energy to search the archives, I haven't eaten too much this week. Is anyone familiar with this? I do catch colds very easily and I feel like I really take care of myself as far as eating healthy, whole foods, fruits/veggies. My colds almost always involve a sore throat. This time it's spiraled straight into tonsillitis. It's so bad that I'm in constant pain day and night. Is there evidence that having them taken out will help with not contracting further colds? I mean, I know that they're suppose to be the first line of defense but if I've had this repeatedly when younger and if they're "defective" would it be better just to have them removed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-06-2002, 12:41 PM

I had recurrent tonsillitis and strep throat several times every year from childhood (3 or 4?) thru the age of 17 when I had them removed (yes, I was not breastfed, hmph). When I was 17, I came down with an abcess on one of my tonsils, this was the most painful experience of my life (had to have it lanced and drained, I'll spare the details). Which made me (mom too) decide that it was time to remove them, since there was a chance of recurrence. Since then (12 yrs) I have been sick with a fever twice, both times lasting about 2 days (I was very used to a fever for 4-5). I have never had a deep infection, hardly ever catch colds (maybe 2 or 3 slight ones) and truly believe that my tonsils were "defective" in some way - over sensitive maybe. For me, it was the best decision, you may want to consider it. Though, it does take an adult a lot longer to recover from removal - I was in bed and ate nothing but jello for 2 weeks (I know, gross!) it was the only thing that didn't HURT (the whole ice cream thing is a farce). My brother got his out the next year (he was 6) and was better in 3 days. Hope this helps and you feel better soon!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#3 of 5 Old 12-06-2002, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh, Drewsmom, I am so sorry you feel bad. I have had tonsilitis all week, too. Like you, I seldom get sick. Since I have been pregnant, though, it seems like I catch everything!

Anyhow, you are right on that the tonsils are your first line of defense, and you *should* try to keep them if you possibly can. It sounds like adventuregirl had a terrible experience with infection, so I am sure she is better off without those guys!

Let me tell you what my naturopath told me when I called her about my own tonsilitis:

She said that if you keep the area in your throat very well lubricated, infection will not be able to grow -- the bacteria require a dry medium to grow on. You can lubricate it with lozenges. She recommended ones with colostrum in them. I couldn't find those, but I did find colostrum tablets (chewable) which made a big difference for me.

People experience sore throats very differently. For me, hot drinks made it much worse, and cold carbonated ones helped immediately. If you can, consider using a homeopathic remedy. Here is a pretty decent online Materia Medica:

http://homeoint.org/books/boericmm/index.htm

Enter your most unusual symptoms -- that way you will get the fewest number of possible remedies. Remember that with homeopathic remedies, only the correct remedy will have any effect.

A common remedy for tonsilitis is belldonna (which worked very well for me, incidentally), but I only recommend using belladonna if your symptom picture matches the profile for belladonna, which you can find at the link above.

I hope this helps, and I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif

#4 of 5 Old 12-09-2002, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I went back to see the dr. and it turns out that it's a viral infection. I caught the cold that's going around which is a killer on the throat but then my wonderful body turned it into cankersores. I'm prone to them but this is the most out of control I've ever had it. My entire back of my throat was/is covered with large sores and then my front of my mouth broke out too. The front I have about 12 sores and the back another 10. That's why my throat was getting worse not better after a few days. I haven't been able to eat anything really this past week and she did give me a mouthwash that's helped, it's a mix of Benadryl, Mylanta, Nystatin and some numbing agent. It's been giving ds diahrea though so I've still had to limit his nursing. They're on the mend though thank goodness and will hopefully be gone in the next week. Yipes what an ordeal!
#5 of 5 Old 12-09-2002, 03:15 PM

A relative at the age of 60, was recommended to have her tonsils removed. She did not do it. Instead she ended up moving. The house she lived in/area had a high pollution level. When she moved, no more tonsillitis.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page