help! how do I bring down baby's fever? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-18-2005, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I were sick over the weekend, and our almost-9-month-old daughter is now fighting off whatever bug we had. She's been running a fever ranging between 99-102.5 F since yesterday morning. She's active, alert, and hydrated (although peeing much more than usual!), but she's having an awfully hard time sleeping and is cranky as a result of her discomfort.

I went to the pharmacy to get some acetaminophen to make her a little more comfortable, but everything had corn syrup and red dye #33 in it! How horrible!! I don't give her anything like that when she's healthy; why on earth would I give it to her when her defenses are down? The only dye- and corn syrup-free option they had was ibuprofen, but she doesn't need anything that strong -- even the pharmacist was against giving it to her unless she had a REALLY high, intractable fever.

Obviously, this is a first for us, and I could really use some help. What do you do to make your babies more comfortable when they have a fever? We've been doing baths, frequent nursing, cool compresses, etc. but I think she needs a little internal help. I'm open to homeopathy although I'm not very familiar with it beyond Hyland's teething gel.

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 10 Old 08-18-2005, 04:38 PM

IMO from the reading I have done fevers shouldnt be brought down unless they are high.

Dr. Robert Mendelsohn in How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor says that a fever under 105 isnt dangerous.

My 9 month old dd just had a day and a half of a 103 fever. I took loads of vitamin C since she is bf. Her oldest sister a few weeks before had a fever 104 and it was gone within 24 hours, she got 15 grams of C.

I just hold the baby all they want and nurse all they want. Housework goes to pot when I have a sick child as I am all theirs.

I did one night give dd#3 some (Half a dose) Ibuprofen so both she and I could rest well. I am just not a very good mommy on a lack of sleep :

Hope your little one feels better soon
#3 of 10 Old 08-18-2005, 05:21 PM

We have had a couple of fevers here too, and it is tough to see a child feeling so sick. Our homeopathic pediatrician recommended warm (not cool or hot) baths to help them be more comfortable. And, like the pp said, I just hold and nurse the child a lot, and everything else goes on hold. It does make for a tiring couple of days, depending on how many get sick.
#4 of 10 Old 08-18-2005, 05:52 PM

I agree try other ways to make dd comfortable, but tylenol does make a dye free version however the list of other ingredients is as follows...

Butylparaben, Carboxymethyl Cellulose Sodium, Cellulose, Citric Acid, Flavors, Glycerin, Propylene, Propylene Glycol, Propylparaben, Purified Water, Sorbitol, Sucralose, Sucrose, Xanthan Gum....

so it looks like all they took out was the red dyes and corn syrup...a bigger chain pharmacy might be able to order you a bottle to have on hand for a higher fever...just a thought

drugstore.com has it for under $7.00 but I dont know what ridiculous price they would charge for shipping
#5 of 10 Old 08-20-2005, 03:26 PM

Ugh! I hate that! Why-o-why can't there be pain relievers without all that crap? DD hates taking them and I think it's because they are so extremely sweet.

I have never seen the dye-free or HFCS-free kind ever. Where do you get them? I guess it doesn't matter though if they still have things like Sucralose and Sucrose in them. :

There are times when I have had to give her Tylenol or ibuprofen (like with our recent catastrophe) and I just get so annoyed every time!

Partner to DH geek.gif and Former WOHM, now SAHM dizzy.gif to Sensory & ADHD DD (9), with DD (4) and DS (2)nocirc.gif winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

#6 of 10 Old 08-20-2005, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When dd was a baby she would spike a high temp every time she got ill. By high temp I mean 105-106, a couple times I even got a reading of 107, but I didn't quite believe it. If she was alert, then I would let it run it's course, but there were a couple times that she got very lethergic, then I would bring her temp down with belladolla. Our ND told us to dose her every few minutes until her temp got to 103 then stop with the belladonna, you have to be careful not to drop it too quickly. Now I don't even bother to check her temp, it's just a number, I go by how my child is feeling.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 10 Old 08-20-2005, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

I ended up finding a "starter kit" of Hyland's homeopathic remedies at Wild Oats and gave Qualia some camellia (sp?) to make her more comfortable. That seemed to work well and her fever finally broke yesterday. We were both able to get some sleep last night, FINALLY, and she's taking a marathon nap today, which should finish getting her back to her normal cheerful self. Hurrah!

I just hate seeing her uncomfortable, you know? I started thinking about bringing down her fever because I was reading in Dr. Sears (The Baby Book) that the part of the brain that's mustering the immune system isn't negatively affected by the aceteminophen. The fever is just a symptom of that immune system action, and aceteminophen targets the fever itself to make baby more comfortable while letting the body carry on with fighting off the invading bug. So that was my thinking in trying to get the fever down a bit. Can anyone link me to where the fever itself is a good thing and should be left alone? I'd originally thought that a fever should be left alone too, but realized I didn't have anything to back that up, which is when I went to Dr. Sears. But I'd love to learn more about this now that I have a little sleep under my belt and can concentrate again, so we know the why's and wherefore's for next time!

Thanks again!
#8 of 10 Old 08-20-2005, 06:54 PM

you know, as many times as I have actualy said "fever is not a bad thing, it just makes kids uncomfortable" and as much as I know that fever is a Natural way for your own body to fight invading organisims, I dont know exactly how it works...but for the most part yes fever helps, high fever is bad, seizure high, dehydrating, life threating fever is bad...but 100-103, not such a big deal UNLESS you have an infant...then you may want to deal with it more quickly.
#9 of 10 Old 08-20-2005, 09:49 PM

hmm.double posted for some odd reason

See below

Sherra
#10 of 10 Old 08-20-2005, 09:51 PM

I found two books to be really good in explaining fevers:

http://www.cure-guide.com/Child_Heal...lth_guide.html

You can read excerpts and see the table of contents there.

and

How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor by Robert S. Md Mendelsohn

The latter one is a 5 dollar book, 2 day read type of thing and has a great section on each childhood illness including fevers and letting them run their course but including fluids to prevent dehydration.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page