Head Lice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2002, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 yr old has lice!!!! I have never had them in all my days of public school and sleep-overs, and my mostly house-bound toddler gets them!!! Where do they come from? I used a nit- comb and olive oil. Changed bedding, etc. Any other advice?

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2002, 11:48 PM

All these things need to be washed and dryed very hot, or quarentined:
Bedding
Clothes
Hats
Coats
Pillows
Stuffed Animals
Quarentine is 10-14 days in a plastic sack. Without blood the little buggers die off. You have to wait for the nits to hatch, though. That's why it takes so long.
If you choose to use the non-pesticide route, you'll need to keep combing and washing and combing and washing for the full 14 days to prevent re-infestation. If you use the Rid, you can get all the washing done in one d, 'cause it kills the lice and you comb out the nits. The oil will not kill all the lice, so you have to be vigilent to see if new nits are appearing. (Personally, on a little one like yours, I'd try the oil first. If I couldn't kick it in two weeks, I'd look at other options).
Know as well that some hair types attract the lice more than others. My mother the school teacher would bring them home to me, yet she would have two nits and I would have hundreds. I wouldn't even infest my friends. They just like me. In particular, look at the hair behind the ears, it usually has the oil-balence that the lice like best.
If you have trouble with your nit-comb, concider going to a good pet store. The metal toothed flea combs work just as well for combing out nits and is usually gentler than the plastic drug store variety. (About $7, though.)
Hope this helps-

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 12-10-2002, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I will heed your advice. I'd like to avoid chemicals as much as possible!

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

Old 12-10-2002, 12:55 AM

Glad to help - I'm hoping someone here can remind me about Lindane. If I remember correctly, it's the usual prescription remedy and is a neurotoxin. I'm sure someone here knows. All I remember is the 60 minutes special a while back.
There are so many people here with good knowledge, I have come to think of the whole board as a wonderful resource.

Edited to change Lidocaine to Lindane. I wouldn't want to scare someone with the wrong name. Lidocaine is a topical anstethetic...thank you ohiomommy!

Old 12-13-2002, 03:57 AM

I thought they banned that substance in the USA years ago.

I contracted lice while living in Japan back in the late 80's. I was given lindane, which I assume is another drug company's equivalent to what you were asking about.

It was only years later that I found out how unsafe it is. Yes, it is considered a neurotoxin, among other things.

I immediately was affected by it. Right after taking it, I awoke in the middle of the night and suddenly just had to go poop. Unfortunately, I crapped my pants before making it to the bathroom. Before taking lindane, I had never had any problems like that. For about 1 year thereafter, I found I could not control my bowel movements. I would often not have a bowel movement for days, but when I suddenly got the urge to go, if I didn't find a bathroom within literally seconds, I would crap my pants. The problem has never truly gone away, but I can at least control it long enough to reach a bathroom.

I have never actually had this confirmed by a medical doctor. But, considering I had been living in Japan for a year at that point and had never had a problem with the food, stomach pains, bowel control, constipation, etc. Plus, I had already backpacked through 3 world asian countries without so much as even a stomach ache,...Well, I just know the lindane was the culprit.

Definatley, do not using anything containing lindane or its equivalent.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:27 AM

Thank you for your information. Now that I have the correct name, I can take a look around. I would be so glad to hear it is banned.
Here, I found a site that lists countries that ban it:
http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pest...ntries-ban.htm
And information that it is not banned in the US. It cannot be used on crops, but can be used in baby shampoo and flea collars:
http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pest...ne/lindane.htm
Drat. I was hoping for good news.

EDIT: I want to add the name of the shampoo. It's Kwell. Just in case anyone has any around.

Old 12-13-2002, 12:47 PM

In addition to the toxicity of lice shampoos, the critters are also becoming resistant to the chemicals so it frequently doesn't kill them anyway. This is the oil protocol:

Saturate the hair and scalp -- 1/2 cup of olive oil. Cover the head with a plastic shower cap and hold it in place by covering with a bandana. A roll of hairdresser cotton tucked under the edges will help to absorb the oil if it leaks out. Leave olive oil on the hair and scalp for at least 8 hours (some people do it overnight, but I thought that was just too messy, so I did it during the day). The olive oil smothers the lice by depleting their oxygen, but time is critical; make sure you leave it on for a long enough period of time.

Comb Out the Bugs and Nits with the Olive Oil Still in the Hair.
Use a metal lice comb, Do one section of the hair at a time; clip it back and apart when finished.
Then Wash the Olive Oil Out of the Hair With a Clarifying Shampoo or liquid detergent (like Ivory liquid). Leave on the head for a few minutes to penetrate the oil. You may need to lather twice to remove all of the oil.

Check the Clean, Dry Hair for Nits. Generally nits that are more than one inch from the scalp have either already hatched or aren't going to hatch, so worry about the ones less than one inch from the scalp

Repeat the Olive Oil Treatment Every 4 Days X 3 Weeks (this is really important because it's based on the life cycle of headlice)until no bugs or nits are found. Bedding should be changed with every oil treatment.

Clean the Environment:
Vacuum furniture, wash bed linens and clothing in hot cycles and dry in a HOT clothes dryer for at least twenty minutes. Soak hair combs and brushes in hot water for a minimum of twenty minutes. Items that cannot be washed or dry-cleaned should be sealed in plastic for two weeks.

I personally washed all linens daily, ran all pillows through the dryer for 1/2 hour each day & vacuumed twice daily. I also left stuffed animals etc in garbage sacks in the garage until the kids had been lice-free for at least 1 week.

Check the heads of all family members when treatment first begins, and notify all contacts (children's friends, etc.). If not treated, they may REINFECT your own child.

Caution children about sharing hats and hair utensils. Encourage play together without touching heads. Put little girls' hair up/pull back etc.

User Tag List