9 month old spitting up more than ever - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2005, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 9-month-old daughter has always spit up a lot, but instead of getting better as she ages, it's getting worse if anything. She spits up both milk and solids, for up to 2 hours after she's eaten, when it's time to feed her again, of course! She is gaining weight, although slowly (she's in something like the 5th percentile for weight, but 85th-ish for height) and is on track developmentally (crawling, etc.) The doctor says it's not a problem. (Of course, he doesn't spend his days changing clothes and wiping up spew!) What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2005, 02:05 AM

As she's getting older you are adding in more foods and perhaps she's spitting up because her body isn't ready to handle them. Is it BM or formula? If it's bm have you done an elimination diet to see if you're eating anything that she isn't tolerating? Does she have reflux?
Old 08-28-2005, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
As she's getting older you are adding in more foods and perhaps she's spitting up because her body isn't ready to handle them. Is it BM or formula? If it's bm have you done an elimination diet to see if you're eating anything that she isn't tolerating? Does she have reflux?
She was spitting up a lot before we started on solids, so I think she's only spitting up more now because she's eating a greater volume. Also, when we first started on solids we didn't give them every day and she still spit up a lot on the days we didn't give any. So while it's possible that the solids are part of the problem, I think it's unlikely.

She's getting breastmilk. I haven't eaten dairy since Christmas because that definitely affects her. Peppers used to bother her but don't seem to anymore. We haven't figured out any other specific foods that bothered her through elimination diets.

Reflux- good question- it always seemed to me she had all the signs of it, but the doctor wasn't interested in treating it at all as long as she was gaining weight. Post-feed positioning never seemed to make a difference, and still does not- she's as likely to spit up when she's lying down as when she's crawling, sitting, or in the Moby wrap.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:16 AM

I'd like to ask what you mean by "spit up". A couple tablespoons or 3-4 oz? Did you happen to have a long labor?

Peace,
Moneca
Old 08-29-2005, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

It probably ranges from a tablespoon to a quarter cup, though it looks like more! And it's not like my first son, who would spit up once after a feeding and that was that. She does over and over again. Probably literally 50 times a day.

No long labor, thankfully.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:12 PM

It sounds like reflux to me. Have you been watching the hidden dairy in foods too, you'd be surprised what that's in. I started Nadia on cereal and she got worse, I checked the label and there was dairy in that. There is only 1 cereal here that does not have dairy.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:02 AM

My daughter was a big spitter. I took her to my VERY GENTLE chiropractor who deals with children regularly and she helped. I also eliminated red meat, dairy, and chocolate. She ate very late as well.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:59 PM

The reason I asked about the length of your labor was due to possible subluxations. I would not suspect your daughter of this unless she had a good fall or was in a car accident since you did not have a long labor. I took my dd to a pedi chiro and he found three subluxations in her spine. We love our chiro and he only charges $25 per adjustment to make it affordable for everyone. It would be a good idea for you to get her checked out just in case. My cousin is a chiro in Seattle and he has told me of babes that he has adjusted that stop vomiting after just one treatment. We go to our chiro today and I would be glad to ask him about a peds chiro in your area if you are interested. Just let me know what city you're in. I have a babe who vomited for a year and I know it's not easy for a mama to watch - not to mention all the laundry .

Peace,
Old 09-01-2005, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Souns like chiropracty might be a good bet-

I'm sure there's no hidden dairy- we eat mostly whole foods so I know what's in them. I also don't eat meat, and tried going three weeks without chocolate (torture!) and nothing changed.

Anyone else? More ideas welcome!

User Tag List