Shortness of breath after bypass/valve surgery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-31-2005, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anybody here experienced this surgery or know loved ones who have gone through it? My Dad went in Monday for a double bypass and mitral valve repair, and ended up having a triple bypass and mitral valve repair, plus the aortic valve replaced.

I saw him last night in the ICU and he seemed pretty good except for going in and out from the huge amounts of meds he's on. Today, I've been told he's having major shortness of breath and they sent him for a (cat scan I think) test to check out his lungs. Mom just spoke to the ICU nurse on the phone and they don't know the results yet but are keeping him in the ICU for another night, which was not in the 'plans'.

He's 75 and I'm starting to get nervous. Before the surgery, shortness of breath was a daily problem for him, and the docs said it was very likely that the valve repair would help a lot and/or eliminate that problem.

I'll know more after tonight's visit, but I'd love to hear support if you have any words of encouragement from your own experience, that of a family member, or if you're a doctor or nurse and can tell me more. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-01-2005, 12:45 AM

I didn't have this surgery but they guy beside me in ICU did.
OH WOW he went into respiratory failure, he was in pain, trying so hard to breath, he was so sweet kept appologizing to the nurses but that he couldn't breathe well. Machines kept going off....it was horrid to lie there and listen to this poor guy 'recover' and it made me thankful for the little pain I was in...
compared to him and go home and eat low fat and loose weight and be kind to my heart....

This guy was great 2 days later and walked out.

8 might be enough
#3 of 3 Old 09-01-2005, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I feel a bit better. Saw Dad tonight and he's much better than last night. He does have a touch of fluid or phlegm at the bottom of his lungs that they could see with the Cat scan, that is causing the shortness of breath. They want him to cough it up or at leaset loosen and and exercise out using that breathing exercise thingy (we jokingly call them his trumpets, because he has a collection of them sent home from various hospitals and dd always tries to blow into them to 'play' them).

Anyhow, aside from being totally unable to handle pain killers (the things he was hallucinating and dreaming were unreal, and some were really funny. I had to resist laughing out loud a couple of times), I feel like he's waaaaay better than last night. I hope he can get out of the ICU tomorrow and into a real room so we can see him for more than 1/2 hour at a time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page