Natural remedy for gastroparesis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-31-2005, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping at least one other mama has dealt with this. We have not had the test yet that measures the contractions of the stomach during eating, but I'm guessing this might explain a lot with dd. She continues to have undigested food on her stomach 5 hours after eating. Even raw goat milk yoghurt stays in her stomach at least 3 hours. All this despite giving fresh lemon juice 30 min before meals and 2 different Houston's enzymes with everything she eats. A nutritionist from Denver actually mentioned this to me yesterday. The chiro found 3 subluxations and said the nerves that innervate the stomach and LES could be damaged from the subluxations. Anyway, I found that most MDs use cisapride (off the market due to arrythmias), reglan (like I'm going to give those side effects to my child , and domperidone (which I still have in the cabinet from relactating). I don't want to give dd any meds. I have found several sites that discuss ginger for increasing gastric motility. I bought Nature's Answer without alcohol from the HF store and she takes it no problem. Ginger is actually o.k. on the SCD diet that she is on. I'm hoping that someone out there has used ginger with good results. TIA .
#2 of 3 Old 09-01-2005, 12:18 PM

I would try straight up probiotics, with a variety of bacterial strains. I heard the kinds in the dark, glass jars is best. Also a B-vitamin supplement, and maybe bitters (genitan) to stimulate digestion. I love ginger for digestion, but it didn't seem to help as much for me during my latest stomach attack issues (it has worked well before...I usually just eat fresh, raw ginger or else the picked ginger that is eaten with sushi). These measures have often helped with my digestive issues in the past (thought I may have gastroparesis, too, but am going to go to the doctor for a workup).

Custom blended powdered herbs have also worked well for me. I get them at during acupuncture appointments, but last time I only went in for a herbal consult. You may want to consider that route.
#3 of 3 Old 09-01-2005, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sagelove!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page