Healing the gut tribe : September - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 139 Old 09-18-2005, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon13
I wanted to add this info regarding allergies for those who haven't seen it before. This is from the official BTVC website http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info

So some foods that may be causing "allergies" right now, might eventually be able to be added to your diet with no ill effects.

I am NOT in any way discounting the seriousness of allergies. I know how severe they can be. But I remember Jane's orignal post which eventually gave way to these tribe threads, where she asked "Maybe some allergies are not true allergies?" And this info fits with that idea.
Bless you Loon for posting this

Here is the page link for posterity. I'll need this in the future I'm sure.
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i.../allergies.htm

Can I just say I really needed to read this in black and white right now and just be proud of myself that I made the connection myself. So seeing it again confirmed by someone who has made this her life's work is very uplifting to me.
(feeling a little beaten up from another thread )
#62 of 139 Old 09-18-2005, 10:24 PM

To Loon,

I'll answer without quoting if you don't mind, I've been losing posts left and right lately...

Re: Cod liver oil

I give DS the "adult" kind, there's really no difference. In fact the liquid in a bottle is much stronger, and therefore cheaper, just give less. Like 1/2 tsp. If you have capsules, you might try poking the end with the tine of a fork and squirting it in, my DS likes this. But juice and other drinks are excellent ways of both children and adults taking it.

There's no need to refrigerate CLO until it's opened. Especially Carlson b/c I think I read that they vaccuum seal it some special way or something. So don't worry about shipping.

Re: Nutrition

I've been thinking a lot about this myself. Did you see my post about the "super lunch" Weston Price found stopped all cavities in a group of kids eating crap for the rest of the day? I think bone broths would be a terrific thing to add... not only does Elaine talk about the healing properties of gelatin on the gut, but the minerals they contain are so valuable.

I really want to start DS on dairy, especially since we have great access to raw grass fed organic milk/cheese/butter (which only I eat right now). And I would like to start him on high vitamin butter oil to complete Weston Price's X Factor. One of these days I'm just going to do it. My goal is to get DS steady for several weeks of perfect poop, a stable unchanging diet, no infractions from Papa or Grandma and go for it.

Re: DH

You are VERY lucky to have the support of yours. Mine just came home with Frosted Flakes and Hormel Chili for "his food" for the week. I don't know what I'm going to do when DS is more aware. I don't know what is reasonable to require my DH to do, b/c he would not be doing it willingly.

Re: Tooth brushing

We used to have struggles too and 2 things which worked really well for us were finding various "characters" in his mouth and brushing them out... bears, dinosaurs, Elmo, etc. Also, both of us saying "Aaaaaaah" at the top of our lungs, the louder the better. I wag my tongue and look completely ridiculous, it totally works.

Good luck to you at the dentist
#63 of 139 Old 09-18-2005, 10:30 PM

I knew I'd forget one...

Re: acidophilus supplements

I think you should try again with the yogurt, adding sweetener. My guy is on Kirkman acidophilus for now just because it's dairy free, but I believe in whole food probiotics so much more based on my healing my own gut.
#64 of 139 Old 09-18-2005, 10:51 PM

: Amy!

Wow, you jump in with both feet! I like that

I will have some suggestions tomorrow, I have to
#65 of 139 Old 09-19-2005, 01:35 AM

I can't use the quote feature either, so bear with me!

llp34 I hope the same as you. That by being strict now, things will be so much better later. Even though my dd seems to do well with dairy, I want to be cautious. I'm going to have her and I be dairy-free again for a short bit, then try the goat's milk, then cow's milk.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#66 of 139 Old 09-19-2005, 01:37 AM

AmyD Welcome!!

I, too, was on birth control pills, for 5 years. And I remember agonizing about the decision. :rollseye <sigh> Hindsight, huh? Need to get my gut flora back in balance now.

Don't worry about questions. We're all learning together. Jane and moneca are our resident experts But I can try to answer a few qeustions from your post, if they don't mind.

I'm not sure about a coconut milk yogurt recipe. You could try searching "The Power of Probiotics" thread here at MDC (Use the "search this thread" tool. The thread is realllly long.)

Since you are still nursing, you might want to wait on the cleanse thing. Don't want to push too many toxins at once into your milk.

Certain supplements are not SCD legal because of fillers. The BTVC website and www.pecanbread.com have more info about legal supplements.
Cod liver oil, IMO, is beneficial. Fish is legal on the diet, and given the purity testing of Carlson's and Nordic Naturals, I can't see any reason they shouldn't be included.

#67 of 139 Old 09-19-2005, 01:48 AM

Jane
You're welcome for the link on allergies. It's nice when your conclusions are validated, isn't it?

re: Cod Liver Oil Thank you, thank you, thank you for the info on the refrigeration. That was my biggest concern.

re: Nutrition Yes, I did see your post about WAP and the "super lunch". It was one of the examples I was able to present to dh regarding dd's teeth and that helped him decide to support us in the diet. I'm looking into bone broths. I'm still need to learn more about Nourishing Traditions. I'm working on it.

re: DHs
I know my DH will not be able to resist the illegals when he's at work. He's a grown man, he can choose his food as he likes.
It makes it much harder when he brings stuff home. Guess what he did today? Even after I sent him to the store with a *very specific* list.
<sigh> why make my job that much harder? He also caved when she was whining today and gave her a waffle.
I'm trying to be supportive of him, too. I didn't exactly chuck all the illegals out of the house the day I fdecided I wanted to try this diet, did I? :

re: Toothbrushing We actually have used dd's Little People to brush dd's teeth before. While she will willingly open her mouth, she still cries and struggles. She says it hurts. But she says the cavity doesn't hurt.
So I don't know if it's the sensory issue or if her teeth are just weak (again I worry about her diet here. Teeth are bone, after all, and need to be kept healthy.)
I know my dh has sensitive teeth, and his gums start bleeding again if he slacks off from a consistent brushing and flossing. But his sensitivity gets *better* with consistent brushing. With dd, it's still not getting better after a few months.
Thanks for the good luck for the dentist tomorrow.

re: Acidophilus I will try the yogurt again, as I said above. Dairy-free for a bit, especially during the intro for her. And then I'll try goat's yogurt and then cow's.

#68 of 139 Old 09-19-2005, 02:03 AM

Intro diet

I've kind of been doing the intro diet for myself for the past 3 days.

I don't have dry curd cottage cheese here to make the cheescake. And even though I made the homemade yogurt "cheese" and *could* use that, I thought I was supposed to introduce the yogurt slowly. A bit confusing on that point.

So I've been eating chicken breasts, carrots, chicken soup, diluted grape juice, beef patties, eggs. But I've also had applesauce, pearsauce and zucchini. : So it's not strictly intro, but still SCD legal.

I've kept the food journal too. I think I'm having a slight reaction to eggs, apples and grapes. I get a slight tingling in the back of my throat as the only symptom, but I wonder because I thought apples and grapes are a phenol issue? Hmm, must check on this.

I think the toughest part about the diet is the beginning because you're limiting yourself to a few foods and then introducing new foods sloooowwly. I'm looking over the recipes and there is so much variety that I can't wait to get there! the nut flours for the baked goods, the yogurt, etc.

So I may not be as strict the next few days, because I'd rather dd and I do it together.

I thought it was a good trial run though. The part I'm found most tough is that I'm *hungry*. Note to self: I realize I need to have more food prepared and ready in advance.

#69 of 139 Old 09-19-2005, 02:10 AM

Sorry about my last (very stressed out) post Life is so overwhelming sometimes......

I keep getting caught up in the "all or nothing" mentality. Instead I think we will ease into things. I have the yogurt going in the yogurt maker and I hard boiled a bunch of eggs (I *think* I may be able to convince the 4 yo to try them that way). I figure if we can at least introduce SCD eating we can phase out the old ways as we run out of things.

Now for some questions. Do we need to do the intro diet? The pecan bread site recommends being dairy free in the beginning, is that necessary if the child is fine on dairy products (yogurt and cheese and such)? What about fruits, do we need to start with cooked fruits (like in smoothies) if our digestive issues aren't too severe?

Thanks!

#70 of 139 Old 09-19-2005, 02:16 AM

One more thing, how doable is this going to be for us vegetarians? What do we eat for dinner? A person can only handle so many eggs :LOL

#71 of 139 Old 09-19-2005, 02:42 AM

I just cannot stay away from this thread.

I just tried to order the non dairy starter yogurt (GI ProHealth). But their only shipping option for me is 2-day Fed Ex *with ice*. : Fed Ex is not a delivery option for me and since most packages have to go through customs, I don't think getting anything delivered to me in ice is a good idea. Who knows how long it could take? DARN!

Well, since my dd seems to be allright with cow's milk though, I could do this second generation yogurt:

(From the BTVC website)
Quote:
Second Generation yogurt:This is a method of greatly diluting the cows milk content of our goat yoghurt. Many who can't tolerate cow yoghurt have great success with this.

1. Use a cow starter to ferment some goat milk for 24 hours(do not eat this batch)
2. Use this resulting goat yoghurt as a starter to ferment for 24 hours the second batch of goat milk of which we will eat.
FreeRangeMama Can you do nuts and nut butters? I think in addition the the yogurt and eggs, that will help. Plus the nut flours for the baked goods. I guess you could try take some of the recipes you were using before and try to make them SCD legal? From the recipes I've seen so far, in the book, they are not that heavily on meat. Lots of fruits and veggies seem to be empasized more than meat.

Direct quote from page 64 of BTVC:
Quote:
The Specific Carbohydrate Diet ishighly nutritious and, depending on the choice of foods, is well-balanced. Every effort should be made to "round-out" the diet by eating sensibly, and not, for example, consuming large quantities of meat or more than four muffins each day to the exclusion of other foods."
She also goes on to state that it is possible for the diet to be done by strict vegetarians (without any animal products at all), but that it would be extremely difficutlt to obtain enough nutrients and calories. Especially since soy products are not permitted on the diet. I think since you are lacto-ovo, you should be okay.

And yes, I am going to sleep right now. Say good night, Loon. :yawning:

#72 of 139 Old 09-19-2005, 12:01 PM

Update on us: Well, first of all, I haven't had the chance to read through the thread yet, but I hope to be able to soon. Just wanted to let you all know how the Healthy Recovery diet from Eat Fat Lose Fat went.
First of all, it was wonderful not having to think about what I was going to make every night for supper! But more than that, we've noticed some definite improvement - of course, dd's also under homeopathic care and I've been going for Body Talk sessions, so that might be related. The very first thing I noticed is that on the plan, dd wasn't constantly after me for food all day. She ate three meals and two or three snacks and that was enough. Her mood significantly improved. Towards the end of the plan, her poop started to take on a better consistency, and I could tell she was digesting her food a lot better. Pretty much everything I've said for her goes for me too.
Unfortunately, we had a houseguest the week after doing the plan, and wound up eating restaurant food for a week, then we caught colds and while we're better now, our meals are just getting back up to standard. Even with that, however, dd's still digesting things better than she did before the plan.
So, in case you're interested, the basic principles are: high fat meals, increased dosages of cod liver oil, rose hip tea (they actually suggest acerola powder for vit C, but I can't get it here, so I subbed rose hip tea), all grains soaked-only sourdough bread, soaked crackers or rice crackers actually appeared on the plan, and only about 2 servings/day of the grains, all veggies cooked (except one day had a baby lettuce salad with high-fat dressing for easier digestion), lots of bone broths (for minerals - they're very easy to digest), organ meats and fish, and the biggest one - lactofermented veggies or drinks at every meal impart digestive enzymes and bacteria to help digest meals.
Anyway, the plan is to jump right back on the wagon, I just have to get my butt in gear and plan some meals here
#73 of 139 Old 09-19-2005, 08:16 PM

Big hug to Loon -- my ds had to have his four upper front teeth pulled at two years old (he's only 2 1/2 now, so it's not been that long) due to tooth decay. He, too hated having his teeth brushed (he's definitely got oral defensiveness and other sensory integration issues), but it's a lot easier now. What helped was getting dh to do it. Also, he has like three toothbrushes and I would offer him a choice. But in addition to toothbrushing, I know I need to improve his diet, as pp's have said. The first dentist we took him to said the decay was caused by nursing at night and nursing to sleep, but our current dentist doesn't say that, just that it's very common. I am sure that the Weston Price info is what we needed to have.

Yeast: I was on BCPs for awhile, but had yeast issues before that. At least some of it was from what I think now was an allergic reaction to spermicide (I used the diaphram), but also from frequent antibiotic use when I was growing up (I had a lot of sore throats as a kid, and my mom would always take me to the doctor where he would prescribe antibotics -- but it was probably viral and allergies). Anyway, thanks everyone for the support. I hope to get going on this diet soon. I feel like such a flake for not getting started sooner, but my energy level is low these days.

Questions: as to these yogurt makers, don't they shut themselves off after a few hours? How would one have them ferment for 24 hours?
Also, as to the Freeda vitamins, how would one give one to a two year old?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#74 of 139 Old 09-19-2005, 10:09 PM

Tests were lost in Katrina for three weeks...

DS showing high aluminum, antimony, arsenic, bismuth, mercury and titanium.

The 3 "a's" and the mercury being most significant. I didn't think Titanium is supposed to do anything but it's off the charts. Normal is 1, he is 44.

He hasn't been eating paint or paper that I know of. He uses sunscreen with it but not really that much, only a few days a week and not even all over whole body, I believe in sunshine. This could mean that he clearly has a problem excreting heavy metals. He does meet one "counting rule", the test that Andrew Cutler developed for mercury toxicity www.noamalgam.com

He is low in calcium

I have a lot of reading to do.

My test was much less dramatic. Arsenic and Bismuth only high metals. I met no counting rules, although my essential minerals could be considered abnormal. I'm low in calcium as well. And molybdenum and selenium, two minerals which are important for metal detox.

I found it very odd that I was low for mercury. Given the fact that the test was done at end of July and I had all my fillings out in May and June. I guess that could mean the safety protocol at www.iaomt.org that my dentist used really works. Or I'm messed up and just storing all the mercury.

I'm scared for DS. I was really expecting me to clearly need chelation b/c all those freakin' fillings. I'm prepared to do it for myself. But it seems like he's the one that really needs it, that's going to be very much harder.

I mean, I figured he wouldn't be so bad since he has no developmental delays, talks like a 3 year old and is so loving. But there really is further reason for his sleep disorder and his poor digestion. I guess we found our cause. Moving metals kills your digestion. I should be happy he's moving them, ASD kids show low metals b/c they store them all.

#75 of 139 Old 09-19-2005, 11:08 PM

To Amy

Cradle crap
(As I called it) is a sign of fungal overgrowth on the scalp, just like dandruff. It's more common in children b/c they have not developed the acid mantle/sebum layer that you get when you reach puberty. When I started DS on probiotics, this was the first to go away.

Coconut oil
Very healthy, anti bacterial, anti viral, anti fungal whether extra virgin or not but I do think the EV stuff is probably better/stronger. I like www.tropicaltraditions.com or http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/
Spectrum Organic Unrefined is ok too, but not as yummy as above 2.
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/index.php?id=87
(note: the Refined Spectrum is *disgusting*)

And thanks for the co-op tip! I should find that number of the local group I got ages ago shouldn't I.... Whole Foods is so ridiculous.

Cod Liver Oil,
I do think think CLO Is necessary for everyone. EPO in addition to CLO only if eczema, arthritis/fibromyalgia/joint problems or PMS. Try EPO first and if after several months the eczema has not subsided, try flax. Mixing in juice is a good way to hide. Or use a dropper for the little ones.

Probiotics -- this is a toughie.

I really prefer homemade yogurt or kefir. I use the Body Ecology kefir starter powder and love it, but it's not SCD legal b/c it contains beneficial yeasts. I'm just going by how I feel and it made tremendous improvement in my digestion in a short time.

I've never had luck with coconut or nut yogurts, so for now DS gets Kirkman acidophilus that is SCD legal.
#76 of 139 Old 09-21-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I'm scared for DS. I was really expecting me to clearly need chelation b/c all those freakin' fillings. I'm prepared to do it for myself. But it seems like he's the one that really needs it, that's going to be very much harder.
Jane,

We went through something similarly horrifying here about two years ago, but it was over uranium. Here’s the thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=uranium

I know how you feel. In our case, uranium cannot be chelated, but I did reduce our levels. My son had no hair back then so we did not have his levels checked. Your message is making me think we should all do the tests again.

Try not to let this make you crazy. I lost a month or two in the summer of 2003 looking for uranium under every rock. All of your diligence will probably take care of much of this problem. I reduced my uranium levels by 40% with a good diet and supplemental calcium. For as dire as it seemed with no chelation methods and with scientists saying that there was no way to get rid of it, good old-fashioned health practices made a lot of difference.

I am afraid that stories like ours will be the norm if people start testing themselves and their children. There are just too many stresses on our livers and kidneys not to be retaining some of these toxins we are being exposed to.

Amanda

p.s. I’ll be back with my story. We’ve just been so busy here.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#77 of 139 Old 09-21-2005, 06:15 PM

Thanks so much for posting this Amanda, I had missed that thread.

I am driving myself crazy sick with this right now.

The hair elements test from Doctor's Data that Andrew Cutler recommends tests 16 metals and 23 minerals.
www.directlabs.com will order it for you w/o a dr.

It reveals the metals which can be stronger in combinations, like my guy's antimony/arsenic both being high is likely the reason for his SID traits.

High bismuth (we both have 300-500x normal) can cause encephalopathy. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/e...phalopathy.htm

This is indeed very overwhelming. I don't know what all of these means yet, I'm going to get Cutler's hair test book.

Looking forward to your story update, I'm glad you are here
#78 of 139 Old 09-21-2005, 06:23 PM

I know the Doctor's Data test well. I actually have a test kit right here. I just haven't gotten to it. It will be the 4th one I've taken. Talk about

I did not know about directlabs.com. That's a great resource.

The crazy doesn't help. The perseverance does. Though it is very hard not to go bananas. I wish I could say I was successful at that.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#79 of 139 Old 09-21-2005, 07:33 PM

I have been reading all this with interest. Lil' man has food allergies, I just got done doing a food diary and am now on an elimination diet. The LC said it looked like dairy, eggs, chicken, and oats are the problem. Soy seems to be somewhat of an issue, I think there is more as well, I guess we will find out. So, we are hoping to heal his gut and she mentioned something about healing his gut and increasing his and mine intake of Omega 3's. This is all overwhelming. You guys have a lot of info, but it is a lot to digest right now!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#80 of 139 Old 09-21-2005, 08:12 PM

I saw on the main BTVC that you're not supposed to use eating batches of yogurt as starter. Does that mean you have to keep buying the freeze dried stuff? Doesn't that get expensive?

#81 of 139 Old 09-21-2005, 10:07 PM

To Loon:

Making the cheesecake with dripped yogurt is fine to have as much as you want b/c it's cooked, so the good bacteria is killed off and won't cause a complete digestive upheaval (why it's said to start slowly with live yogurt).

It could be phenol issues but I thought the reactions were very much behavioral, check www.enzymestuff.com for more info on it.

Or it could be something on them... were the apples/grapes organic? Those are very high pesticide fruits to eat conventionally. My throat used to swell up whenever I ate apples or cherries from grocery store, when I was a kid. We could get them from local farms and I was ok. So it must have been something weird on them. When I got older and living in Boston, I found the local organic foods shop and I could eat to my heart's content.
#82 of 139 Old 09-21-2005, 10:17 PM

To FreeRangemama

Don't apologize for any ranting, it's allowed here. I hope you feel better today

I've heard lots of reports that those who do the Intro diet get better faster. That being said, my DS doesn't do well on juice or carrots or dairy, so I didn't do it with him, I started with a very limited menu of our own.

I think it's important to have a limited diet at first and a baseline of wellness from which to work. I'm constantly trying to reign myself in on this b/c it's freakin' hard not to try new things esp. if they are SCD legal. But especially with DS, I've learned I need to try to be systematic or else I just lose more time if he has a reaction after only a short period of wellness. Then the gut doesn't heal very much.

PecanBread is for ASD kids which have been studied to react to the casein in dairy products, so dairy is fine for most everyone else.

Not sure about cooked fruits. I think it might be wise. Pectin in raw apples does irritate the gut, I read this in Nourishing Traditions. At the very least, they are easier to digest and can only help healing.
#83 of 139 Old 09-21-2005, 10:24 PM

To HerthElde:

Thank you for posting this, the diet sounds awesome and I'm so glad you are seeing results! :

I really need to get over my organ meat fear. Your pate recipe did look yummy...

I'm going to start lactofermented drinks, which ones do you like? Cultured veggies are a staple in my diet, I love them. Esp. ginger carrots, roasted red peppers and salsa. And a real authentic kimchi that's made by a Korean grandma. That's running out and she hasn't given me her secret yet, but I plan to weasel it out one way or another.
#84 of 139 Old 09-22-2005, 04:11 AM

Pookietooth

Thanks for the . The dentist (a really nice man! thank goodness) said that dd's tooth is an easy fix. No drilling, he just needs to put a sealant-type filing on it. It would take 5 minutes, but dd won't sit still for it. We had to hold her down for him to even look at her teeth. He suggested we might need to see someone who adminsters nitrous oxide or some type of small sedative, just to keep dd calm enough to be still enough for the procedure. Unfortunately, there is no place where we are that has any kind of anesthesiologist on site. So it looks like we may even have to go back to the States just to get a pediatric dentist. And we just came back from a visit.... <sigh> But we need to get this done before it gets worse.

Don't worry about not getting started sooner. I seem to start the day out with good intentions and then lose steam by the end of the day.

As for the yogurt makers, some brands might turn themselves off, but I have the Yogourmet and it stayed on....

Also, yes, I think you would have to keep buying the starter. I haven't seen anything indicating otherwise. Yeah, it would get expensive but so does buying the nut flour I think. Then again, when you compare it to what you're NOT buying: like a lot of processed, convenience foods. I think it balances out. My grocery bill was much lower this week because we've mostly been buying fruits and veggies and meats. I have ended up going more often though, because we have a small fridge, but at least I'm not throwing out spoiled produce this way.

ETA: by the way. You get 3 packages of starter in each box of Yogourmet starter. One package has two 5-gram sections. You can either use one package with 2 quarts of milke to make a batch. Or you use a half package (5 gms) with 1 quart of milk.
Since I am slowly introducing the yogurt, I don't think I will know how fast my family goes through it until we are eating it as a regular part of our diet.

#85 of 139 Old 09-22-2005, 04:21 AM

Jane

I'm sorry you're so overwhelmed with your hair test results. But I think Amanda has given you great advice and support and I can only second it (even though I haven't been in the situation myself. I haven't even made steps to getting any tests done... but I still wanted to offer support!)

Thank you for the info on the cheesecake. Since I know I won't finish the batch of fresh yogurt with my small spoonfuls before all the good microbes start to die off, I think I'll go ahead and use it for the cheesecake.

Thanks too for the enzymestuff.com website. I got confused about phenols. After reading, I think I might be sensitive to salicylates. That would explain the apples and grapes. I hope that it's just a sensitivity and that it will clear up once gut healing is rolling along.
I hadn't thought about the organic idea. I wish I had more access to organic foods. What I'm doing about the fruits and veggies is trying to buy them more locally from the small stands here rather than our base supermarket. They do taste better. Even the meat from the local butcher is much tastier!
So I will do what I can until we are back in the States with more access to better foods.

I know what you mean about it being *freakin' hard* to wait on new things. It is ENORMOUSLY DIFFICULT I think to be so limited. But we will persevere.

#86 of 139 Old 09-22-2005, 04:44 AM

BTW, I received my cookbooks. I scanned through them pretty quickly. They are awesome. So many ideas and recipes to try!

All of these recipes use plenty of fruits and vegetables. It's a nice change from other cookbooks I have seen (aside from my vegetarian cookbooks of course. And also, I don't have Nourishing Traditions, yet.)

Simply by pure instinctual personal preference,I want to try most of the recipes in "Adventures in the Family Kitchen" by Raman Prasad first. It is organized by breakfast, soups, salads, chicken, beef, turkey & pork, seafood, vegetables, snacks, drinks and baked goods. Quite a few are Indian recipes with coriander and cumin and such, but everything looks so good, and I think spices can easily be adjusted.
Also Raman has compiled over 400 recipes on www.scdrecipe.com

"Lucy's Specific Carbohydrate Diet Cookbook" also has a great layout and everything seems so yummy. Lucy uses almond flour almost exclusively in all her baked goods, but I see no reason why you can't substitute with other nut flours.

"SCD with Taste and Tradition". Also simple format and looks delicious. More variety of nuts and nut flours it seems.

Both of the other 2 cookbooks are also organized by soups, entrees, baked goods, etc.

The site where I bought them from www.scdiet.com now has "Cooking for Little Tummies" for sale. But I had seen on the pecanbread mailing list and at the www.digestivewellness.com website, that a new edition of this book was coming out Oct. 1.

By the way, FreeRangeMama, I had forgotten about BEANS! I saw quite a few recipes for lentil soups, split bea soups, etc. In the original BTVC book, there were even white bean pancakes. So you should be fine even while following lacto-ovoe vegetarian. I think you'll get enough variety.

I can give more reviews as I acutally TRY recipes of course, but thought I'd give the preview.

#87 of 139 Old 09-22-2005, 11:59 AM

Hi ladies! We're still plugging along. I spoke to Moneca last night bemoaning the fact that I'm not seeing enough of a change in dd. I then went back and pored through all my info and realized I had made a significant mistake. We have been in strict adherence to the SCD but I misread a printout I had and we have been giving both kiddos FLAVORED colostrum. I feel so stupid. So, that's out and hopefully I will see more of a change. Anyone know if Carlsons lemon CLO is legal? I haven't seen any info yet.
Also we are still on enzymes. I love them. I still have a yeast overgrowth issue, but I feel like this is helping me turn a corner. Between enzymes and the SCD I am almost totally functional in terms of my IBD. I can't believe it...I have tried so many diets and drugs and herbs and this is the first thing that has gotten me this close to wellness. My fatigue, anxiety and depression are gone. My stomach aches and pain are gone. Once I even out on the enzymes I will be 100%-I am sure of it. I have also lost 15 pounds in three weeks. Nothing has ever taken weight off this fast and I believe that most of what's gone is inflammation and yeast. Because my body is absorbing more it isn't holding on to every calorie I put in my body. I'm thrilled
Ds is showing HUGE improvement. I have even introduced two of the foods he's allergic to along with enzymes and he's tolerating them just fine. He looks great and he's acting like a different kid. With the illegal colostrum out I'm hoping dd shows as much of a change. I am also going to say this again: Enzymes for Autism and Other Neurological Conditions is a must read. It will help you understand so much more about the huge impact gut health can have on your entire life.
#88 of 139 Old 09-23-2005, 02:26 AM

elisabeth,

So glad to hear your ds is doing wonderfully! I hope things improve as well for your dd.

It is also encouraging to hear that you are feeling such relief from your IBD.
The enzyme book keeps coming up and so highly recommended that it's going on my reading list.

To all

Even though I am striving toward being 100% SCD compliant, I can already see a difference in myself as well. My mood and energy levels are up. Also, my cycle is much better this month! I have had short luteal phases for the past 7 months with 3 days of spotting before actual flow (sorry if TMI!). This month, my cycle is alreay back on track with regular 28 days and NO spotting for days beforehand.

It looks like I am bringing dd to the states to see a dentist.
I doubt I will be able to keep her 100% SCD since we'll be staying at my mom's house, but I'm pretty sure I can keep up a good shot at it. At least I'll be able to have more foods more readily available. So wish us luck! I'll try to check in, but I'm sure you all understand if I can't.

Loon

#89 of 139 Old 09-23-2005, 02:31 AM

I thought I'd post this excerpt from the pecanbread list, for those who are not on it.

A question was posted asking about ways to deal with lead toxicity and iron defiecieny while on SCD. One of the posters had an email from Elaine, dated Aug. 6, 2004.

Quote:

Just yesterday, Lucy called me about Dr. Kevin Merigian, forensic
toxicologist who is saving lives of people like those we saw in the movie,
Erin Brokavich. .
This should answer Helen's inquiry about chelation. SCD CHELATES!

Att: Dr. Kevin Merigian,

Dear Dr. Merigian,
I have just heard from Shirley Powell, whose husband is suffering from heavy
metal toxity, that you are aware of my work and are recommending The
Specific Carbohydrate Diet in cases of heavy metal toxicity. I am thrilled
out of my mind!

Perhaps you may not know that Dr. Sidney Valentine Haas, the originator of
The Specific Carbohydrate Diet published papers in the early 1900's (I think
about 1930-1940) reporting that he was treating lead toxicity in painters
with atropine sulphate and, I believe, this diet (I am not positive about
the latter.)

This is especially noteworthy because the SCD is being used successfully in
treating children suffering with autism and who, it is believed, are also
showing abnormally high levels of mercury, etc.
Many of these children are making outstanding recoveries on SCD. The
intriguing interaction of mercury toxicity, bowel problems, and the SCD must
be, in my opinion, investigated more closely.

It is so very gratifying to hear that you expect a favorable prognosis of
Mr. Powell's serious problems. Thank you for your recognition of this
marvelous diet therapy and its ability to slowly, but surely, detoxify the
liver.
And, incidentally, there have been cases of people with inflammatory bowel
disease with serious liver complications who have recovered from both after
using SCD. One child, waiting for a liver transplant, did not need it after
a short time on SCD.

With much appreciation,
Sincerely,

Elaine Gottschall

#90 of 139 Old 09-23-2005, 01:43 PM

Great that SCD chelates! I know we have mercury issues. We hopefully will start the diet next week, after we've used up most of the illegals and I've gotten the hang of making the cheesecake, yogurt, and soup.
Here are a couple more yogurt questions:
What's the raw process for yogurt? Do you heat it at all? Is it only for raw milk?
Is it always necessary to drip the yogurt, or is that just for the cheesecake? i've seen conflicting info.
Thanks everyone, I'm such a newbie!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page